Connect with us

Nevada

Sierra Nevada Braces for More Snow After Blizzard Shuts Interstate, Closes Ski Resorts | KQED

Published

on

Sierra Nevada Braces for More Snow After Blizzard Shuts Interstate, Closes Ski Resorts | KQED


“We will be digging out for the foreseeable future,” officials said on the resort’s blog.

According to Brittney McClain, store manager of South Lake Tahoe Ace Hardware, after last year’s major snowstorm, they had several people come in to the store to pick up supplies like snow blowers, shovels, and ice melt. While they haven’t had as much of a rush as they’d initially thought for over the weekend, she believes it’s mostly due to ‘people hunkering down and waiting things through.’

“But as, the sun comes out and before the next storms roll in, what’s going to happen is a lot of that snow is going to become compacted, meaning that we’re going to get a lot more ice and that type of stuff,” said McClain. “So we’re going to probably see an uptick in folks picking up ice melt, more shovels, and I would say probably the ice picks, that type of stuff to try to help remove that ice and get back down the asphalt as soon as possible. ”

Collins, the meteorologist, said some ski areas reported getting nearly 7 feet (2 meters) of snow. More than 10 feet (three meters) of snow was expected at higher elevations, National Weather Service meteorologist William Churchill said Saturday, creating a “life-threatening concern” for residents near Lake Tahoe and blocking travel on the east-west freeway. He called the storm an “extreme blizzard” for the Sierra Nevada but said he didn’t expect records to be broken.

Advertisement

“It’s certainly just about as bad as it gets in terms of the snow totals and the winds,” Churchill said. “It doesn’t get much worse than that.”

The storm began barreling into the region Thursday. A blizzard warning through Sunday morning covered a 300-mile (480-kilometer) stretch of the mountains. A second, weaker storm was forecast to bring an additional 1 to 2 feet of snow in the region between Monday and Wednesday next week, according to the National Weather Service office in Sacramento.

Susie Kocher, a forestry advisor for the University of California Cooperative Extension, lives in the community of Meyers in South Lake Tahoe, and says it’s snowed nonstop since Thursday. She measured the snowpack at 4.5 feet today and says the region is still forecasted to receive between 2-3 more feet by Monday. While she hasn’t seen many people walking or driving down her street, everyone around her still has power. She said the snow has been easier to manage compared to last year.

“The thing that’s different about this snowstorm compared to last year [is that] last year was a really harsh year,” said Kocher. “We had somewhere around 45 feet of snow at my house. It lasted all winter long, there were just constant snowstorms, and it was a lot of work to dig out. And, it didn’t stop very often. So this isn’t quite as bad as that yet.”

Colin McCarthy, an Atmospheric Science student at UC Davis who runs a storm watch account on X, formerly known as Twitter, says it has been snowing in Truckee for 72 hours straight and ‘the sun has not come out once.’

Advertisement

“Many Truckee locals say this is the most impressive blizzard they have ever seen in town,” said McCarthy. “We have seen extreme blizzard conditions covering the storm the last three days where at times you can’t see even 5 feet in front of you. A small avalanche just occurred on Highway 50, meaning there is no west options out of Tahoe now. This is a storm many won’t forget for a while.”

Near Lake Tahoe, the Alibi Ale Works brewpub and restaurant was one of the few businesses open on Saturday. Bartender Thomas Petkanas said about 3 feet (1 meter) of snow had fallen by midday, and patrons were shaking off snow as they arrived.

“It’s snowing pretty hard out there, really windy, and power is out to about half the town,” Petkanas said by telephone.

California authorities on Friday shut down 100 miles (160 kilometers) of I-80, the main route between Reno and Sacramento, because of “spin outs, high winds, and low visibility.” There was no estimate when the freeway would reopen from the California-Nevada border west of Reno to near Emigrant Gap, California.

Rudy Islas spent about 40 minutes shoveling his car out before heading to work at a coffee shop in Truckee, California, on Sunday morning. Neither he nor his customers were fazed by the snow, he said.

Advertisement

“To be honest, if you’re a local, it’s not a big deal,” he said. “I think a lot of people are used to the snow and they prepare for it.”





Source link

Nevada

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful

Published

on

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful


The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.

Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders shield logo at midfield at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.

Advertisement

Davis’ Thoughts

Feb 10, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis at a press conference at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”

Morgan’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Apr 24, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan listtens at introductory press conference for quarterback Fernando Mendoza at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Advertisement

“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”

The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.

Advertisement

Glazer’s Thoughts

Feb 6, 2025; New Orleans, LA, USA; Jay Glazer at Fox Sports media day at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”

Nassib’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Oct 24, 2021; Paradise, Nevada, USA; Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib (94) reacts after the game against the Philadelphia Eagles Allegiant Stadium. The Raiders defeated the Eagles 33-22. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”

Overall Thoughts

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders helmet logo on the video board at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.

Advertisement

Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video

Published

on

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video


Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo

Published

on

Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo


Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo (R) is in a strong position heading into the thick of his 2026 reelection bid — a huge war chest, almost universal name recognition and strong favorability numbers among the electorate.

Though Lombardo is likely focusing on the general election already, he faces 6 longshot candidates in the GOP primary seeking to upset him in June.

Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo

Advertisement

The challengers face a ‘Herculean’ task, said Mike Noble, CEO and founder of Noble Predictive Insights, an Arizona-based nonpartisan pollster focusing on the Southwest region.

“I see it as a Herculean task for anyone. If someone was coming in with like, I don’t know $10 million or something to spend, sure I can see that might be competitive, but I don’t see any of them coming anywhere near close to that. And so again, I just think I think it’s a non-factor at this point,” Noble said.

RELATED | Ballot Battleground: Nevada podcast: Early Noble poll shows dead heat in governor’s race

Despite the long odds, News 4-Fox 11 reached out to all candidates requesting an interview as part of our commitment to 2026 election coverage and our Know Your Candidates series. Three of the 7 running interviewed with us — Irina Hansen, Kameron Hawkins, Lombardo and Jose Zelaya did not respond to multiple emails requesting an interview.

Advertisement

We asked them similar questions about Gov. Lombardo’s leadership as governor, how they would pass a balanced budget and whether they support taxpayer subsidies for sports teams or major projects.

Click the candidate’s name to watch their full interview. Quotes below have been edited for space and clarity.

Donald J. Beaudry Jr. is an entrepreneur who founded BlkEdgeAi, a financial technology firm specializing in AI-driven trading systems and market strategy, according to his campaign website.

He told News 4-Fox 11 that Nevada has been drifting the last four years with ‘no captain, no vision.’ He believes his Wall Street-like trading market called NGEX (Nevada Global Exchange) would generate enough revenue to eliminate sales taxes, property taxes, business taxes and vehicle registration fees.

“I completely blueprinted it out and calculated that this model could generate enough revenue in this state that we could eliminate all the state taxes and fees that are currently in place and use that as the revenue source for the state and make everybody, every man, woman and child throughout Nevada, a shareholder in the dividends of that exchange … it would be a kind of Wall Street type of stock market, but far broader, more advanced, and exponentially more profitable.”

Advertisement

Matthew Rian Winterhawk is the founder of SmartSlaps foundation, a nonprofit that works to help schools and students with civic engagement and community responsibility.

If elected, he described going through a DOGE-like review of the state budget to determine which areas can be cut or kept depending on their ‘dollar to impact’ ratio.

“What I would like to do is go through every department, I’m talking top to bottom, from here from the primary to the beginning. We will cut every piece of administrative bloat across the system … I need more money for my teachers. Teachers never see it, students never see it, the impact never reaches the classroom. It’s 100% administrative bloat.”

The son of immigrants, Barak Zilberberg is now an entrepreneur and real estate investor based in Las Vegas. He ran for governor in 2022, earning 0.2% of the vote in the GOP primary. He told News 4-Fox 11 he’s also running for President in 2028.

He said he’s running for governor to improve the educational system, bring jobs to Nevada and open up federal land to build more affordable housing.

Advertisement

“We’ve got get high-speed railing systems in here where we can transit very easily, efficiently, and basically moving around between economies of both cities. Not only that, I’d like to bring Disneyland here and the Olympics, sponsor the Olympics here. I just want to make this a well-known place of entertainment, a hub.”

To help voters make informed decisions this election year, News 4-Fox 11 is publishing and broadcasting dozens of interviews with candidates who will appear on the June primary ballot.

In fairness to all candidates, they were asked a series of similar questions. We are posting the full interviews online so voters can watch their responses in their entirety.

Visit our Know Your Candidates 2026 page to view other race previews and meet other candidates.

Email reporter Ben Margiott at bjmargiott@sbgtv.com. Follow @BenMargiott on X and Ben Margiott KRNV on Facebook.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending