Connect with us

Nevada

Nevada deputies seize 7 'emotional support' tigers from home

Published

on

Nevada deputies seize 7 'emotional support' tigers from home


Tigers seized from Nevada home (Nye County Sheriff’s Office)

Authorities in Nye County, Nevada, seized seven tigers from a home in Pahrump last week and arrested their owner for resisting an officer. 

According to FOX 5 Vegas, the tigers’ owner, Karl Mitchell, didn’t have the proper permits to have them. Deputies didn’t plan to arrest Mitchell – only seize the tigers – but they said he made threatening remarks to deputies and then later struggled with a deputy. He was taken to the ground and arrested.

Advertisement

What they’re saying:

 “Our intention was to seize the cats, number one for public safety, number two for the safety of the cats. And then he struggled with the deputy,” Sheriff Joe McGill told FOX 5. 

Advertisement

Tampa dog owner pries open gator’s jaws to save pet from attack

Tigers seized from Nevada home (Nye County Sheriff’s Office)

‘Emotional support’ tigers

Advertisement

The other side:

Mitchell told KTNV that he had the tigers for seven years and claimed they’re his emotional support animals. He also claimed he got some of them from Joe Exotic, the infamous star of Netflix’s Tiger King, but Joe Exotic, who’s serving a 21-year-prison sentence in Texas, denied those claims in a post on X. 

What’s next: The tigers were taken to a sanctuary out-of-state while the investigation continues, KTNV reported. 

Advertisement

The Source: This report includes information from the Nye County Sheriff’s Office in Nevada, FOX 5 Vegas, KTNV and Joe Exotic’s X page. 

Crime and Public SafetyNevadaPets and Animals



Source link

Advertisement

Nevada

Food Bank of Northern Nevada cancels Tuesday distribution events due to winter weather

Published

on

Food Bank of Northern Nevada cancels Tuesday distribution events due to winter weather


A winter storm moving into Northern Nevada is forcing the cancellation of several food distribution events scheduled for Tuesday.

The Food Bank of Northern Nevada announced that all Mobile Harvest distributions planned for Feb. 17 have been canceled due to the incoming snowstorm. The impacted sites include Sparks LDS, Virginia City and Hungry Valley.

Officials say safety concerns for volunteers, staff and community members prompted the decision.

The Produce on Wheels distribution in Hawthorne has been rescheduled to Thursday, February 26. Community members planning to attend are encouraged to mark their calendars for the new date.

Advertisement

For those who receive Senior Nutrition Weekend Program boxes, the Food Bank says a final decision will be made tomorrow morning. Updates will be shared as soon as more information becomes available.

Comment with Bubbles

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

The organization is asking for patience and understanding as the storm moves through the region. Residents are encouraged to stay safe and limit travel if possible.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nevada

Feds to offer 14 oil and gas leases in Nevada

Published

on

Feds to offer 14 oil and gas leases in Nevada


The Bureau of Land Management has opened a public comment period for 14 oil and gas leases in the Elko District in the northeastern part of Nevada.

The potential leases encompass approximately 20,600 acres which could be potentially included in a lease sale this September. The public comment period will end March 11.

“Leasing is the first step in the process to develop federal oil and gas resources,” the BLM explained in a press release. “Before development operations can begin, an operator must submit an application for permit to drill detailing development plans. The BLM reviews applications for permits to drill, posts them for public review, conducts an environmental analysis and coordinates with state partners and stakeholders.”

A lease sale for 11 oil and gas parcels in Nye County across 19,957 is scheduled for March 31. According to the BLM, it completed scoping on the parcels in September of 2025 and held a public comment period which closed in December of last year. A 30-day public protest period to receive additional public input closes on March 2. According to the BLM’s website, they received expressions of interest on all 11 parcels and plan to issue leases on March 31.

Advertisement

Under the Trump administration, the BLM has shifted tactics away from preferential treatment for wind and solar energy projects towards boosting domestic energy production largely within the oil, gas, coal and geothermal sectors, and deregulating access to natural resources on federal land all in a bid to increase domestic energy production.

The BLM controls the vast majority of land within the state of Nevada and almost all of it within Clark County. The federal agency manages approximately 245 million acres of land, located primarily in western states and Nevada has the highest percentage of federally controlled land in the nation.

Contact Patrick Blennerhassett at pblennerhassett@reviewjournal.com.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nevada

Obama says aliens exist, but not at Nevada’s Area 51

Published

on

Obama says aliens exist, but not at Nevada’s Area 51


Former President Barack Obama said in a podcast interview Saturday that aliens are real, but they aren’t at Nevada’s Area 51.

During an appearance on YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen’s show, Obama said he hadn’t seen extraterrestrials but that they existed.

“They’re not being kept in Area 51, there’s no underground facility, unless there’s this enormous conspiracy and they hid it from the president of the United States,” Obama said during a rapid-fire round of questions at the end of the interview.

Advertisement

Cohen didn’t ask a follow-up question on the subject, and Obama didn’t explain his answer further.

“What was the first question you wanted answered when you became president?” Cohen asked next.

“Where are the aliens?” Obama replied with a laugh.

VIDEO: Former President Barack Obama on Brian Tyler Cohen’s YouTube show.

———

Advertisement

Area 51, the classified operating location near the Nevada National Security Site about 90 miles northwest of Las Vegas, has long captured popular culture’s attention as a government facility believed to be holding UFOs and aliens.

In reality, the site has been a test bed for the nation’s high-tech aircraft dating back to when it was established in 1955 to test the high-flying U-2 spy plane. But the U.S. government did not acknowledge the facility’s existence until 2013, when the CIA declassified documents confirming Area 51’s use as a testing site for U-2 and SR-71 spy planes.

The secrecy surrounding the site’s purpose has made Area 51 the subject of countless out-of-this-world conspiracies, including claims that the facility holds pieces of alien spacecraft and technology that workers are trying to reverse-engineer.

That gave way to an alien fanatic subculture tied to Southern Nevada, with souvenir shops and businesses like the Area 51 Alien Center in Amargosa Valley and the Little A’Le’Inn in Rachel dotting the desert. In 1996, the state renamed Nevada Route 375 to Extraterrestrial Highway because of its proximity to Area 51.

Businesses in the area did not respond to requests for comment on Sunday afternoon.

Advertisement

Before the Las Vegas Aviators moved to Las Vegas Ballpark in 2019, the Triple-A baseball team played at Cashman Field from 2001 to 2018 as the Las Vegas 51s.

National media attention turned to Area 51 in September 2019 after a viral social media post saw millions demand a glimpse of extraterrestrial life.

A tongue-in-cheek Facebook event made by California man Matty Roberts had more than 2 million people sign up to storm Area 51, all pledging to run into the facility and “see them aliens.”

What began as an online joke became a four-day music festival known as Alienstock that drew thousands to the small Lincoln County communities of Rachel and Hiko, both located near Area 51.

Obama’s comments aren’t likely to sway the myth’s believers. An Ipsos poll conducted during the Storm Area 51 social media movement found a quarter of Americans thought that crashed UFO spacecrafts are held at the site. Slightly more than half of Americans, 52 percent, believed that extraterrestrial life exists.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending