Connect with us

Nevada

Man who attacked a Nevada judge is sentenced by that same judge to prison for separate incident | CNN

Published

on

Man who attacked a Nevada judge is sentenced by that same judge to prison for separate incident | CNN




CNN
 — 

A man who was seen on video jumping and attacking a judge sitting behind a bench in Clark County, Nevada, last week was back in court Monday and was sentenced by the same judge for a separate incident.

Deobra Redden, 30, was sentenced to 19 months to four years in prison for a charge of attempted battery with substantial bodily harm.

His hands, mouth and face were covered during his court appearance Monday.

Advertisement

Judge Mary Kay Holthus stressed that was the sentence she planned to impose before Redden attacked her in the now-viral incident.

“When we were last here, arguments were concluded and the court had begun to pronounce sentence when an incident occurred, an incident initiated by Mr. Redden, preventing the court from completing the sentencing,” Holthus said. “Any other issues that may arise from the events that occurred last Wednesday will be handled at a future date by a different court.”

Redden was charged with seven counts of battery on a protected person and battery in connection with last week’s attack, according to court records.

The incident last week unfolded Wednesday after Redden and his attorney asked the judge for probation rather than time behind bars, saying the 30-year-old is getting his life back on track with a new job and plans to resume his education.

Holthus then read the defendant’s criminal history aloud in court, which included “three felonies … misdemeanors, multiple DVs (domestic violence) … robberies, attempted home invasion.”

Advertisement

Redden’s attorney told the judge he believes his client could successfully complete probation.

“I appreciate that,” the judge replied, “but I think it’s time that he get a taste of something else because – I just can’t, with that history.”

Seconds later, Redden shouted, “F**k that b*tch!” and ran toward the judge, leaping over the bench and attacking her. Redden tackled Holthus to the ground, and both disappeared from the camera’s view behind the bench, the video shows.

As others in the courtroom tried to restrain him, Redden screamed, “F**k you both!” and threw several punches.

The judge stayed on the ground for several minutes before standing up, appearing to say she hit her head. Holthus “experienced some injuries,” a statement from Clark County Courts read.

Advertisement

By Thursday, she was back at work, but remained “sore and stiff,” Chief Judge Jerry Wiese told reporters.

The district attorney said his office is reviewing evidence and plans to file additional charges against Redden, CNN previously reported.



Source link

Advertisement

Nevada

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video

Published

on

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video


Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo

Published

on

Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo


Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo (R) is in a strong position heading into the thick of his 2026 reelection bid — a huge war chest, almost universal name recognition and strong favorability numbers among the electorate.

Though Lombardo is likely focusing on the general election already, he faces 6 longshot candidates in the GOP primary seeking to upset him in June.

Nevada Governor GOP primary: 6 longshot candidates taking on incumbent Joe Lombardo

Advertisement

The challengers face a ‘Herculean’ task, said Mike Noble, CEO and founder of Noble Predictive Insights, an Arizona-based nonpartisan pollster focusing on the Southwest region.

“I see it as a Herculean task for anyone. If someone was coming in with like, I don’t know $10 million or something to spend, sure I can see that might be competitive, but I don’t see any of them coming anywhere near close to that. And so again, I just think I think it’s a non-factor at this point,” Noble said.

RELATED | Ballot Battleground: Nevada podcast: Early Noble poll shows dead heat in governor’s race

Despite the long odds, News 4-Fox 11 reached out to all candidates requesting an interview as part of our commitment to 2026 election coverage and our Know Your Candidates series. Three of the 7 running interviewed with us — Irina Hansen, Kameron Hawkins, Lombardo and Jose Zelaya did not respond to multiple emails requesting an interview.

Advertisement

We asked them similar questions about Gov. Lombardo’s leadership as governor, how they would pass a balanced budget and whether they support taxpayer subsidies for sports teams or major projects.

Click the candidate’s name to watch their full interview. Quotes below have been edited for space and clarity.

Donald J. Beaudry Jr. is an entrepreneur who founded BlkEdgeAi, a financial technology firm specializing in AI-driven trading systems and market strategy, according to his campaign website.

He told News 4-Fox 11 that Nevada has been drifting the last four years with ‘no captain, no vision.’ He believes his Wall Street-like trading market called NGEX (Nevada Global Exchange) would generate enough revenue to eliminate sales taxes, property taxes, business taxes and vehicle registration fees.

“I completely blueprinted it out and calculated that this model could generate enough revenue in this state that we could eliminate all the state taxes and fees that are currently in place and use that as the revenue source for the state and make everybody, every man, woman and child throughout Nevada, a shareholder in the dividends of that exchange … it would be a kind of Wall Street type of stock market, but far broader, more advanced, and exponentially more profitable.”

Advertisement

Matthew Rian Winterhawk is the founder of SmartSlaps foundation, a nonprofit that works to help schools and students with civic engagement and community responsibility.

If elected, he described going through a DOGE-like review of the state budget to determine which areas can be cut or kept depending on their ‘dollar to impact’ ratio.

“What I would like to do is go through every department, I’m talking top to bottom, from here from the primary to the beginning. We will cut every piece of administrative bloat across the system … I need more money for my teachers. Teachers never see it, students never see it, the impact never reaches the classroom. It’s 100% administrative bloat.”

The son of immigrants, Barak Zilberberg is now an entrepreneur and real estate investor based in Las Vegas. He ran for governor in 2022, earning 0.2% of the vote in the GOP primary. He told News 4-Fox 11 he’s also running for President in 2028.

He said he’s running for governor to improve the educational system, bring jobs to Nevada and open up federal land to build more affordable housing.

Advertisement

“We’ve got get high-speed railing systems in here where we can transit very easily, efficiently, and basically moving around between economies of both cities. Not only that, I’d like to bring Disneyland here and the Olympics, sponsor the Olympics here. I just want to make this a well-known place of entertainment, a hub.”

To help voters make informed decisions this election year, News 4-Fox 11 is publishing and broadcasting dozens of interviews with candidates who will appear on the June primary ballot.

In fairness to all candidates, they were asked a series of similar questions. We are posting the full interviews online so voters can watch their responses in their entirety.

Visit our Know Your Candidates 2026 page to view other race previews and meet other candidates.

Email reporter Ben Margiott at bjmargiott@sbgtv.com. Follow @BenMargiott on X and Ben Margiott KRNV on Facebook.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Fatal crash on US-95 in Nye County

Published

on

Fatal crash on US-95 in Nye County


LAS VEGAS (FOX5) — One woman is dead following a head-on collision on US-95 Sunday afternoon.

Nevada Highway Patrol responded to a report of a crash at 4:41 p.m. at mile marker 105, approximately 45 miles north of Beatty. The crash involved two sport utility vehicles.

One adult female driver was confirmed dead at the scene. The other driver was transported to a local area hospital with injuries.

MORE ON FOX5: Report: Nevada traffic deaths down 33% for April

Advertisement

No road closures are in effect. Investigations are being conducted on the southbound shoulder area.

Nevada Highway Patrol, a division of the Nevada State Police, is asking motorists to slow down and use caution in the area as troopers and investigators work at the scene.

Further information will be provided following the preliminary investigation.

Copyright 2026 KVVU. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending