Denver, CO
Denver will speed up compost bin delivery next year — while cutting back on recycling pickup
Denver will deliver green compost bins to every solid waste customer who wants one by the end of March, city officials said in announcing an acceleration of their often-maligned rollout.
The citywide expansion of composting service had been expected to take until the end of 2025. But to hit the moved-up deadline — and limit the greenhouse gas emissions of its trucks — Denver will cut back on collecting recyclable items from customers’ purple bins. Recycling pickup will go from weekly to every other week starting Jan. 6.
The frequency of large-item pickup services will also be reduced from once every four weeks to once every nine weeks next year, the city’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure announced Thursday.
The coming changes won’t impact the base prices charged by the city. Pay-as-you-throw trash collection service will still be priced based on the size of the black trash bins each customer uses — ranging from $9 to $21 per month. The city has been providing $9 quarterly credits to customers who are still waiting for compost services. Those credits will end in April, according to DOTI.
The city pivoted to a fee-based trash service and weekly recycling pickups at the beginning of 2023 as it also began making compost pickup a standard free service. Based on observations since then, city officials expressed hope that the tweaks would improve reliability and help the city better meet its landfill diversion and greenhouse gas emission reduction goals.
“What we’ve learned over the years is (that) we are dramatically underusing our recycling bins each week. We are actually increasing our impact on the environment by running that much recycling (pickup) without that much demand,” Mayor Mike Johnston said in an interview. “We can use the people and the trucks to run those weekly compost routes all over the city.”
When the City Council approved the city’s transition of trash collection services to a program funded by fees on residential customers, one of the selling points was a doubling of recycling collection frequency from every other week to weekly.
But the added work put a strain on an understaffed waste collection department immediately, requiring the city to contract with a third-party hauler to provide those weekly pickups in some neighborhoods through 2026. Customers have been frustrated at times with missed pickups of different services.
In May, officials told a council committee that city collectors and contractors were completing 94% of their routes every week through that point in the year, down from 95% in 2023. That completion rate has slipped further since, according to DOTI leadership.
“These adjustments in our collection schedules will allow us to improve customer service, creating greater reliability in our collection services and improving route completion rates for trash, compost and recycling,” DOTI executive director Amy Ford said in a DOTI news release. “In other words, we pick up your solid waste the day we tell you we are going to pick it up. Today we are at 90%, and we are striving to be at 95%.”
DOTI will be sending letters to 67,000 solid waste customers next month asking them which size compost bin they would like, the release says.
Those customers live in the city’s waste collection districts 1, 6, 7 and 9, which generally cover some northwest, central, east and southeast neighborhoods. They will then have until Jan. 10 to opt into the service and receive their compost bins as part of a first round of deliveries early next year.
There are 180,000 solid waste customers in the city. Bins have been provided in four of Denver’s nine collection districts so far, with rollouts still in progress in District 3, which covers northeastern neighborhoods including Park Hill and Central Park, according to DOTI’s release.
Denverites can dispose of food scraps and yard waste in their compost bins, reducing the amount of waste that otherwise would go to the city’s landfill and emit greenhouse gases like methane as it decomposes. With composting, those items are turned into a nutrient-rich soil additive.
DOTI said the initial wave of requested green-bin deliveries would be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2025. Johnston was more specific during his interview, setting March 15 as the likely completion date for the ramped-up rollout.
The data Johnston and other city officials are using to inform decisions suggest that 50% of a household’s weekly waste is compostable, 25% is recyclable and the final 25% is landfill trash, he said.
DOTI said running large-item pickup on a once-every-four-weeks basis was a factor adding to the city’s waste stream by encouraging people to trash items they might otherwise be able to offload through alternative means.
Stay up-to-date with Colorado Politics by signing up for our weekly newsletter, The Spot.
Updated (at 3:43 p.m. on Nov. 7, 2024): Due to an error by a reporter, this story originally misreported one of the neighborhoods that is currently receiving compost bins.
Originally Published:
Denver, CO
Family identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver
Family members have identified the teenage victim of the deadly shooting at Denver’s Montbello Recreation Center as 14-year-old Mikail Nasir Khalid Payne, who went by Nasir. According to the family, Nasir was standing up for his older brother in an altercation when the shooting happened.
The shooting happened Thursday night at the Montbello Recreation Center off E. 53rd Ave in northeast Denver. Denver Police say a boy has since been arrested and is being held in custody for investigation of first-degree murder.
Nasir’s uncle, Sareef Aleem, said his two nephews went to the rec center on Thursday night. He said Nasir’s older brother was there when the shooting happened and witnessed it.
“Two kids confronted Hassan, and they put their hands on him, and as soon as Nasir stood up, another kid, a third kid that was on the side, blindsided him, and just shot him,” said Aleem. “It’s very difficult. I got the call late last night, we’re just shocked.”
Police say those involved knew one another, and the victim, Nasir, died at the scene. Police also say it was an isolated incident.
A recreation center is known to be a safe space for many kids after school or during the summer, Nasir’s family says.
“They were created to be a safe place for our kids to go, where they didn’t have to worry about getting shot or assaulted,” said Aleem. “We need to check our kids, check their bags, check their rooms and make sure that they’re taking basketballs to the rec center and not pistols.”
Jolon Clark, Executive Director of Parks and Recreation, said in a statement, “Recreation centers are more than facilities. They are gathering places where community is built, where young people learn and grow and where families come together. They have long been and remain the safest place for our youth to gather, which makes today so much harder.”
Aleem said his nephew, Nasir, was one month away from turning 15. He added that Nasir was respectful, kind, and had an entrepreneurial spirit.
“He used to help his family with their landscaping business on a regular basis. He also used to sell little perfume oils right here in this neighborhood and at the car wash over there. People knew him and respected him,” said Aleem.
“He was well-mannered, courteous, excellent character,” said Imam Abdur-Rahim Ali.
Abdur-Rahim Ali and others gathered at an Islamic Center on Friday, a day of worship for the Islamic community, where Nasir and his family visit often.
“I knew him from coming here for services. He was very intelligent, respectful individual. He came in and made prayer on a frequent basis, and just a respectful youth,” said Abdur-Rahim Ali. “The main day of worship for us is on Fridays, so many people came today, and we told them what happened. Of course, it’s a shock.”
Aleem said in Islamic tradition, family members try to bury their loved ones within 24 hours. As Memorial Day Weekend is just ahead, he added it’s been a burden on the family to take care of before the holiday.
“His family is distraught right now. They’re trying to process what happened. His family just wants everybody to know that he was a good kid, and he didn’t deserve this,” said Aleem. “It’s just a shame that he’s not around to fulfill his dreams.”
The family is also raising money to cover funeral costs.
As the investigation is underway, the Montbello Recreation Center is also closed until further notice.
In a statement from Mayor Mike Johnston, he said, “No statement can capture the grief we feel today. Our hearts are broken. To the family of the victim and the entire Montbello community, know that you have our deepest sympathies and our unwavering support.”
In a statement from the Denver City Council, they said: “The Denver City Council joins Mayor Mike Johnston in extending heartfelt sympathies to the victim’s family, Montbello residents, young people, and the staff at the Montbello Recreation Center following Thursday’s tragic shooting.”
Denver Police are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call 720‑913‑7867.
Denver, CO
Agency releases claim on $5 million of $7.5 million owed for new Broncos stadium
When the Colorado Department of Transportation’s investment arm had the chance to buy the idle Burnham Yard from Union Pacific in early 2021 for $50 million, money was tight.
CDOT turned to the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade for a $7.5 million loan, which, together with a $7.5 million down payment from the High Performance Transportation Enterprise or HPTE, allowed a $35 million commercial bank loan to move forward in May of that year.
The deal was touted as a once-in-a-generation opportunity that would allow Interstate 25 between Colfax and Santa Fe to be widened and straightened. The purchase could improve transit access, including serving as a potential hub for a Front Range Passenger Rail line.
Not only would frustrated commuters gain back the countless hours of time they were losing to a poor road design, but chances were good that CDOT could make money on flipping the land it didn’t need.
Definitely enough to repay OEDIT, Shoshana Lew, CDOT’s executive director at the time, reassured commissioners.
None of that is happening.
CDOT will sell the 58 acres of Burnham Yard to the Denver Broncos, who are looking to build a new stadium on the site, for $45.8 million, less than what it paid.
After a deeper dive, CDOT nixed its original plans for transit improvements and found the land was more contaminated than expected. It also realized that straightening out I-25 was going to cost billions of dollars it didn’t have.
But not all was lost. A $4 billion football stadium and entertainment district will go into the area, with transit upgrades to serve that new use.
And as for the $7.5 million loan that is owed to OEDIT, only $2.5 million will go back into the state’s Strategic Fund, which is used to recruit employers and fund economic development programs across the state.
The fund has about $3.8 million left.
“What we are asking for today is to convert $5 million of the $7.5 million overall loan into a grant to make the rest of the infrastructure commitments that we’ve made happen,” Lisa Kaufmann, strategic adviser to Gov. Jared Polis, told the Economic Development Commission on Thursday morning.
The money would help fund a relocation of the main rail line, improve road access from Interstate 25, and eliminate three at-grade rail crossings.
For the “modest investment” in public infrastructure, the state would get billions of dollars in private investment, Kaufmann said.
And if that weren’t enough to sway the commissioners, Kaufmann reminded them that the reason the Strategic Fund even had the dollars to lend out was that she had lobbied to get $40 million in American Rescue Plan Act funds in there.
That $1.9 trillion federal program included $350 billion to help state and local governments recover from the pandemic.
After going into an executive session, the commissioners approved the request.
Colorado lost jobs last year and is struggling to add residents, an area that the Strategic Fund helps address.
But the state also faces a $1.5 billion shortfall for the upcoming fiscal year, a gap more severe than what it faced in 2021 when it borrowed the $7.5 million from OEDIT.
Want more Broncos news? Sign up for the Broncos Insider to get all our NFL analysis.
Denver, CO
Police investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
DENVER (KDVR) — Police are on the scene of a shooting on Thursday at the Montbello Recreation Center.
The Denver Police Department initially reported the shooting happened in the 15000 block of East 23rd Avenue.
Police said a juvenile was pronounced dead at the scene.
There is no suspect in custody at this time, but officers said they are gathering suspect information.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867.
This is developing news. FOX31 will update.
-
Atlanta, GA5 minutes agoAmber alert for 2 missing kids; ‘Operation Lockdown’
-
Minneapolis, MN11 minutes agoDinkytown armed robbery: Victim assaulted, vehicle stolen, gun recovered
-
Indianapolis, IN17 minutes ago
Indy 500 weather forecast calls for rain on race day. What to know
-
Pittsburg, PA23 minutes agoReporter Confused By Pittsburgh’s Quarterback Plan: ‘Hamster Wheel’
-
Augusta, GA29 minutes agoBroad Street construction causes lane closures in downtown Augusta
-
Washington, D.C35 minutes agoInside Crypto’s Washington Command Center—and Blitz for Legitimacy
-
Cleveland, OH41 minutes agoFamily releases statement after off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting of 26-year-old
-
Austin, TX47 minutes agoThe 8 Best Tex-Mex Restaurants In Austin – Chowhound

