Colorado
Colorado Mines football makes closing argument with rout of Fort Lewis
All the Colorado School of Mines football program can do now is wait.
The Orediggers did what they could in Saturday’s regular-season finale at Marv Kay Stadium, steamrolling Fort Lewis 67-9 in their last chance to make a closing statement for inclusion in the NCAA Division II playoffs.
Mines (8-3, 6-3 RMAC) piled up 622 yards of offense and even got a touchdown from its defense in an all-phases rout. Four players ran in touchdowns and Flynn Schiele and Nick Stone caught scoring passes as well. Jake Sype had 89 yards on 8-of-9 passing in his first career start, and Denver South product Joseph Capra threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns while splitting time at QB.
The Orediggers allowed just 135 yards of offense for Fort Lewis (3-8, 2-7), compiling seven sacks and three turnovers while holding the Skyhawks without a single conversion on third (0 of 14) or fourth (0 for 2) down.
CSU Pueblo (10-1, 9-0) put the finishing touches on its outright RMAC championship with a come-from-behind 38-21 win over Chadron State. Mines finished tied for third in the conference with Colorado Mesa (7-4, 6-3), while Western Colorado (10-1, 8-1) was second.
The Orediggers entered Saturday ranked 10th in the region and need to rise into the top seven in order to reach the postseason. They will learn their fate when the selections are announced Sunday afternoon.
RMAC football
Saturday’s scores
South Dakota Mines 44, Adams State 6
Western Colorado 37, Colorado Mesa 7
CSU Pueblo 38, Chadron State 21
Black Hills State 48, New Mexico Highlands 31
Want more sports news? Sign up for the Sports Omelette to get all our analysis on Denver’s teams.
Colorado
“Madsgiving” feeds thousands after Colorado community steps in to save event
What looked nearly impossible just a few weeks ago became a Thanksgiving miracle in Aurora.
Madsgiving is the annual effort that prepares and delivers thousands of meals to people experiencing homelessness, seniors, and families in need. It was on the verge of collapse earlier this month.
The longtime chefs who normally anchor the event were deployed to Jamaica to help rebuild kitchens damaged by Hurricane Melissa. Without them, organizers suddenly had no chefs and no kitchen just weeks before Thanksgiving.
Lead Pastor Dwayne Johnson of Mean Street Worship Center has helped distribute Madsgiving meals for seven years.
“At first, it started out as panic,” he said. “But then the community started coming together. Other agencies, ministries, and chefs came alongside us.”
One of the first to answer that call for help was Pesto Italiano, a new restaurant that opened in Englewood this summer. Chef Pablo had never cooked a Thanksgiving meal in his kitchen before – and certainly not at the scale Madsgiving requires.
“This was the first year we tried something like this,” he said. “We just opened in June. The first thing we wanted to do was help the community.”
Pesto Italiano donated their kitchen and their chefs, giving volunteers access to a full professional space to roast, prep, and assemble thousands of meals.
“With all the volunteers that came to help us, it was possible,” Pablo said. “We wanted to create something with love, passion, and quality – something people could enjoy the same way any family does on Thanksgiving.”
His team even improvised when dozens of turkeys arrived still on the bone and behind schedule. Pablo grilled and roasted them, finishing with a sauce of orange and rosemary. He even used pizza ovens to get the job done.
Johnson says the scale of collaboration was unlike anything he’s seen.
The Amish community from southern Colorado also stepped in, preparing meals on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
By midday Thursday, every group Madsgiving serves had been reached: people living in cars and under bridges, seniors in assisted living, nursing home residents, and people facing hunger across the city.
What started as a call for help became one of the largest Madsgiving efforts yet, powered by strangers, volunteers, churches, restaurants, and neighbors who refused to let the tradition die.
“To the world, you’re one person,” Johnson said. “But to one person, you become the world. Today, miracles happened.”
Colorado
Here’s where Colorado’s gray wolves roamed in past month
Colorado’s gray wolves stuck a little closer to central parts of the state in late October and November, roaming into watersheds that reach metro Denver and near tribal lands to the south, according to a map released Wednesday.
The monthly Colorado Parks and Wildlife map shows the broad movements of 20 gray wolves that wear GPS collars. If an area is highlighted, that means at least one wolf was in a watershed at least one time during the time frame, according to state officials.
Between Oct. 21 and Tuesday, gray wolves traveled in watersheds that reach as far north as the Wyoming state line; as far east as Boulder, Jefferson, Adams and Broomfield counties; the northern edge of Archuleta County to the south; and Meeker in Rio Blanco County to the west.
Most wolf activity appeared to take place around the Continental Divide, with wolf movement tracked near Walden, Granby, Vail, Aspen and Gunnison.
The wolves also explored near tribal lands to the south, Parks and Wildlife officials said. The state has an agreement with the Southern Ute tribe and is working to finish a similar agreement with the Ute Mountain Ute tribe to address potential impacts of wolf reintroduction.
Of Colorado’s 20 collared gray wolves, 15 were captured elsewhere and released in Colorado, three are yearlings from the Copper Creek Pack and two are adults from the One Ear Pack, according to Parks and Wildlife.
State officials will not be able to confirm whether wolf pups born this year were “successfully recruited” into Colorado’s wolf population until later this winter, Parks and Wildlife spokesperson Luke Perkins said in a statement.
Get more Colorado news by signing up for our Mile High Roundup email newsletter.
Colorado
Police issue shelter-in-place order for Colorado Springs neighborhood due to barricaded suspect
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) – The Colorado Springs Police Department (CSPD) issued a shelter-in-place order Wednesday morning for 7366 Legend Hill Dr.
CSPD says this order is due to law enforcement responding to a barricaded suspect in the area. Police tell 11 News the call came in at 9:15 a.m. for a family disturbance.
If you are in the area, police encourage you to secure your home or business and stay away from doors and windows.
This is a developing situation; Information is very limited at this time. This article will be updated when more information is available.
Copyright 2025 KKTV. All rights reserved.
-
Science6 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business3 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
California1 week agoApple settles with EPA after whistleblower tip on toxic waste dumping in California
