Connect with us

California

California governor signs bills to protect children from AI deepfake nudes

Published

on

California governor signs bills to protect children from AI deepfake nudes


SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a pair of proposals Sunday aiming to help shield minors from the increasingly prevalent misuse of artificial intelligence tools to generate harmful sexual imagery of children.

The measures are part of California’s concerted efforts to ramp up regulations around the marquee industry that is increasingly affecting the daily lives of Americans but has had little to no oversight in the United States.

Earlier this month, Newsom also has signed off on some of the toughest laws to tackle election deepfakes, though the laws are being challenged in court. California is wildly seen as a potential leader in regulating the AI industry in the U.S.

The new laws, which received overwhelming bipartisan support, close a legal loophole around AI-generated imagery of child sexual abuse and make it clear child pornography is illegal even if it’s AI-generated.

Advertisement

Current law does not allow district attorneys to go after people who possess or distribute AI-generated child sexual abuse images if they cannot prove the materials are depicting a real person, supporters said. Under the new laws, such an offense would qualify as a felony.

“Child sexual abuse material must be illegal to create, possess, and distribute in California, whether the images are AI generated or of actual children,” Democratic Assemblymember Marc Berman, who authored one of the bills, said in a statement. “AI that is used to create these awful images is trained from thousands of images of real children being abused, revictimizing those children all over again.”

Newsom earlier this month also signed two other bills to strengthen laws on revenge porn with the goal of protecting more women, teenage girls and others from sexual exploitation and harassment enabled by AI tools. It will be now illegal for an adult to create or share AI-generated sexually explicit deepfakes of a person without their consent under state laws. Social media platforms are also required to allow users to report such materials for removal.

But some of the laws don’t go far enough, said Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, whose office sponsored some of the proposals. Gascón said new penalties for sharing AI-generated revenge porn should have included those under 18, too. The measure was narrowed by state lawmakers last month to only apply to adults.

“There has to be consequences, you don’t get a free pass because you’re under 18,” Gascón said in a recent interview.

Advertisement

The laws come after San Francisco brought a first-in-the-nation lawsuit against more than a dozen websites that AI tools with a promise to “undress any photo” uploaded to the website within seconds.

The problem with deepfakes isn’t new, but experts say it’s getting worse as the technology to produce it becomes more accessible and easier to use. Researchers have been sounding the alarm these past two years on the explosion of AI-generated child sexual abuse material using depictions of real victims or virtual characters.

In March, a school district in Beverly Hills expelled five middle school students for creating and sharing fake nudes of their classmates.

The issue has prompted swift bipartisan actions in nearly 30 states to help address the proliferation of AI-generated sexually abusive materials. Some of them include protection for all, while others only outlaw materials depicting minors.

Advertisement

Newsom has touted California as an early adopter as well as regulator of AI technology, saying the state could soon deploy generative AI tools to address highway congestion and provide tax guidance, even as his administration considers new rules against AI discrimination in hiring practices.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

California

California Gov. Newsom addresses questions on trans athletes in girls’ sports

Published

on

California Gov. Newsom addresses questions on trans athletes in girls’ sports



California Gov. Newsom addresses questions on trans athletes in girls’ sports – CBS Sacramento

Advertisement














Advertisement


























Watch CBS News


California Gov. Newsom spoke to reporters for the first time since launching his podcast that features conservative guests and since revealing he opposes trans-athletes competing in women’s sports.

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Advertisement

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

California

California teenager cut, scratched in sea lion attack during junior lifeguard trial: Reports

Published

on

California teenager cut, scratched in sea lion attack during junior lifeguard trial: Reports



Although sea lions are a common sight in Long Beach, California, attacks are rare, Gonzalo Medina of the Long Beach Fire Department told local outlets.

play

A 15-year-old was hospitalized with several cuts and scratches after she was attacked by a sea lion in Southern California during her junior lifeguard cadet trial, local media outlets reported.

Phoebe Beltran sustained several cuts on her right arm and had to be hospitalized after she was attacked by the marine animal Sunday in Long Beach, about 24 miles south of Los Angeles, NBC Los Angeles and KTLA5 reported. Long Beach Fire Department Capt. Jack Crabtree told ABC6 that Beltran, a junior lifeguard candidate, was out swimming during tryouts for the junior lifeguard cadet program’s 15-to-17-year-old age group around noon Sunday when the incident occurred. While she has since then been released from the hospital and has even returned to school, she said the encounter has left her shaken.

“I’ve been stung by a sting ray, pinched by crabs, bitten by tiny fish,” Beltran told NBC Los Angeles. “But a sea lion?”

‘Assumed the worst’

Beltran told KTLA5 she was in the water about 25 feet from shore during her junior lifeguard tryout and was in the final leg of her 1,000-yard swim when she suddenly felt an intense pain and “assumed the worst.”

Advertisement

“Out of nowhere, I feel something biting my arm,” Beltran said, per KTLA5. “I saw a shadow of it, and all I’m thinking is, ‘Please, don’t be a shark. Please, don’t take off my arm and please, don’t kill me.’”

Turns out a sea lion had bitten into her right arm, leaving her injured with bite marks and bruises.

“The first bite — I went under, and I just see the shadow, but I couldn’t make out what it was,” Beltran told NBC Los Angeles. “As I came up, I was way too scared to face it head-on. I’m screaming this way as it’s biting me over here and it finally let go.”

Encounter left Phoebe Beltran with bruises, scratches

As Beltran screamed for help, a team of lifeguards and her mother ran to her aid.

Advertisement

“I saw something come up, like a fin, and somebody yelled, ‘Shark,’” Phoebe’s mother Bibi Beltran told KTLA5. “We all rushed to the water and when I realized it was my daughter, that’s when I broke down.”

The attack left the teenager with several bites and scratches on her arm and hand, but fortunately, she escaped grave injuries and did not need advanced treatment, ABC6 said.

Sea lion attacks in Long Beach are virtually unheard of

Gonzalo Medina of the Long Beach Fire Department told NBC Los Angeles she’d never heard or seen anything like this before in her “25 years of service.”

While sea lions are a common sight in Long Beach, attacks are rare. Cases of sea lions sickened by toxic algae blooms have increased across Southern California, but it’s unclear if the animal that attacked Beltran was ill given it scampered away almost immediately, authorities told the media outlet.

Advertisement

Medina said a “potentially aggressive behavior” is “certainly a side effect of the acid” but that “there’s no way to tell.”

“What we do know is the sea lion was very agile, very fast,” Medina added, per NBC Los Angeles.

The Long Beach Fire Department and the Long Beach Fire Department Junior Lifeguard Program did not immediately respond when contacted by USA TODAY.

The California Wildlife Center in late February had advised beachgoers to avoid distressed sea lions in the Malibu area after suspicions that the sea lions were sickened by domoic acid, a toxin deadly to sea mammals, from a recent algal bloom.

Advertisement

“Though we have not confirmed the cause for these animals’ illness, their signs and the recent rains make the situation highly suspicious for domoic acid toxicity,” the center had said in a post on Instagram, warning beachgoers to not interact with the animals on the beach and instead contact their team for help with distressed animals.

Sickened animals may “lunge and bite without warning,” so the public needs to stay away, the Marine Mammal Care Center has warned.

Despite the frightening experience and injuries, Beltran remains undeterred, telling KTLA5 that she’s determined to get back in the water and redo her tryout which was canceled after the attack.

“I love the beach. I love the ocean. I love swimming,” Beltran told the TV station.

Saman Shafiq is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at sshafiq@gannett.com and follow her on X and Instagram @saman_shafiq7.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

California

California woman sues Catholic hospital chain over emergency abortion denial

Published

on

California woman sues Catholic hospital chain over emergency abortion denial


A Eureka woman who nearly bled to death while miscarrying twins last year is suing the Catholic hospital chain that she claims refused her life-saving abortion care.

Anna Nusslock, a chiropractor who sued Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka and its parent companies in Humbolt Superior Court on Tuesday, said she hopes the action will force the company’s California hospitals to follow state law.

“The work that we’re doing is going to protect people today and it’s going to help people survive,” she said. “I’m hoping to hold the whole Providence healthcare system accountable.”

The hospital says it already complies with the law.

Advertisement

“The experience described in this lawsuit is deeply saddening and troubling,” a spokesperson for Providence South Division wrote in a statement. “We are fully committed to delivering care in accordance with federal and state law, as well as our mission as a faith-based organization. This includes providing emergency life-saving medical interventions that may result in indirect fetal death.”

The suit builds on a September action filed by California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta, accusing the hospital of violating the state’s emergency services law.

“There is an existing injunction in the attorney general’s case, but it’s only against the hospital and it is limited just to while the litigation is pending,” said K.M. Bell, senior litigation counsel for reproductive rights and health at the National Women’s Law Center, which brought the lawsuit with Nusslock.

Tuesday’s suit seeks to make the injunction permanent and binding for all St. Joseph hospitals in California.

“I’ve been really surprised at how healing the process has been,” Nusslock said. “We need to be putting pressure on these hospitals.”

Advertisement

Nusslock and her husband had been trying for years for a baby when she got pregnant with twins in late 2023. After her water broke late last February, just 15 weeks into her pregnancy, she rushed to the emergency room fearing the worst.

Yet, despite clear signs Nusslock’s life was in peril and her twins could not survive, the ER’s attending physician told her she was not “sufficiently close to death,” to receive emergency abortion care, according to court papers.

“I remember saying to somebody, ‘But this is California!’” Nusslock recalled. “But it’s a technicality when the only hospital you can have a baby at won’t help you.”

On the advice of the St. Joseph emergency room doctor, a hemorrhaging Nusslock drove herself 12 miles to Mad River Community Hospital where both twins were delivered dead, one spontaneously and the second via an abortion procedure.

“‘If you try to drive [to UCSF], you will hemorrhage and die before you get to a place that can help you,’” the St. Joseph doctor told her, according to the suit.

Advertisement

In December, after Mad River closed its labor and delivery department, another woman sued the Eureka hospital, alleging she was denied similar care during three separate miscarriages.

In the first incident described in her claim, she traveled five and a half hours to San Francisco “in active labor” for help. The second time, she required two units of blood to recover from a preventable hemorrhage. In the third, she alleges she was left to deliver her dead baby into a hospital toilet.

The woman now suffers from post-traumatic stress, anxiety and depression “from being denied care at the only major hospital—and now the only labor & delivery unit—in her county,” the suit said.

“Because Plaintiff desperately wants to have a baby, Providence St. Joseph is certainly the hospital where she will go for her next delivery,” the suit said.

The hospital has denied wrongdoing in court filings.

Advertisement

As American hospitals consolidate, an ever-growing number are now run by Catholic groups. According to the Catholic Hospital Association of the United States, one in seven patients in the U.S. receives care at one of their facilities. More than 15% of American babies are born in Catholic hospital delivery rooms.

After the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization overturned the right to abortion in the 2022, about two dozen states restricted or outlawed the procedure, about half of them with narrow exceptions for life or death cases.

But Catholic hospitals in many abortion-protective states such as California also deny terminations in cases such as Nusslock’s.

“These refusals of care unfortunately are not new,” Bell said. “But the situation is more dire now post-Dobbs.”

Although St. Joseph’s agreed last fall to provide emergency abortion care, the hospital has since reversed course, seeking to have the state DOJ suit dismissed on the grounds that compliance infringes on its 1st Amendment right to religious freedom.

Advertisement

“SJH could not comply with such an order without forsaking its Catholic identity—the ultimate burden in a religious freedom case,” the motion said.

Bonta said the hospital was flouting the law.

“The stakes of this could not be clearer: having acknowledged that they have, and will continue to, violate a law which requires them to adequately care for patients experiencing life threatening medical emergencies, SJH now asks this Court to condone their conduct by dismissing this action,” the state wrote in opposition to the motion.

The court is set to rule on the issue May 15.

In the meantime, Nusslock said the hospital’s actions have stiffened her resolve.

Advertisement

“It felt cruel and it continues to feel cruel,” Nusslock said. “You’re placing this religious policy over my actual life.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending