Connect with us

Arizona

Arizona House passes bill funding disability program

Published

on

Arizona House passes bill funding disability program


PHOENIX (AZFamily) — The Arizona House of Representatives on Wednesday night passed a measure that would pay for the state’s disability services program.

House Bill 2945 was approved with a 48-11 vote. All of those who voted against it were Republicans. The bill now moves to the Senate.

The program, called the Division of Developmental Disabilities, helps nearly 60,000 Arizonans each year but could run out of money at the end of the month if nothing is done.

Despite some Republicans voting against it, GOP leadership still praised the passage. “The House has overwhelmingly approved a responsible and effective plan to fully fund Arizona’s Developmental Disabilities program and ensure services continue for the families of 60,000 vulnerable adults and minors who rely on this vital safety net. This legislation also includes responsible, commonsense guardrails to provide greater transparency and prevent future funding shortfalls,” said Arizona House Speaker Steve Montenegro, a Republican from Goodyear, in an emailed statement.

Advertisement

Gov. Katie Hobbs, who threatened to veto bills that came to her desk until DDD was funded, said the passage was an “important first step” toward getting the services the crucial money. “I am grateful to see House members on both sides of the aisle come together to advance common sense proposals. This deal ensures critical services for disabled Arizonans will continue, delivers reasonable guardrails for the Parents as Paid Caregivers program, and protects funding to respond to Arizonans’ housing needs. It’s time for the Senate to get this negotiated bill on my desk to protect services for these families,” Hobbs said in a written statement.

The measure will free up about $122 million to put an end to DDD’s budget shortfall. The Senate is expected to pass the measure.

See a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please click here to report it.

Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.

Advertisement



Source link

Arizona

Arizona State women’s basketball lands Tennessee’s Ruby Whitehorn

Published

on

Arizona State women’s basketball lands Tennessee’s Ruby Whitehorn


play

Ruby Whitehorn has found a new home in women’s college basketball.

The former five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American revealed on her Instagram account on Friday that she has joined Molly Miller’s program at Arizona State. Whitehorn is practicing with the team, but will not play this season, instead using her final year of collegiate eligibility to help the Sun Devils next season.

Advertisement

Whitehorn was dismissed from Tennessee in early November, just days before this season started, after her second arrest in a span of less than three months.

She was arrested in late October and charged with simple possession of marijuana, hours after she scored 18 points in an exhibition victory for the Lady Vols over Division II Columbus State. That came after Whitehorn had been arrested on Aug. 8 and charged with domestic assault and aggravated burglary. Whitehorn was suspended indefinitely by Tennessee coach Kim Caldwell, but reinstated to the team in September after pleading guilty to two misdemeanors — aggravated trespassing and aggravated burglary — in exchange for judicial diversion.

A 6-foot guard from Detroit, Michigan, Whitehorn began her career at Clemson where she was voted to the 2023 All-ACC Freshman Team and started in 62 of the 66 games she played in. Last season for Tennessee, Whitehorn averaged 11.6 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game while shooting 46.3% from the floor. Whitehorn was fourth on the team in minutes played and scoring, and third in rebounds. Before her dismissal, she was one of three starters set to return from the Lady Vols’ squad that made the Sweet 16 in Caldwell’s first season.

“I’m here to help young people,” Arizona State coach Miller told On3. “Our culture gives Ruby an opportunity to grow and I believe she can be the best version of herself in this environment.”

Advertisement

Miller is in her first season coaching Arizona State. She was hired by the Sun Devils last offseason after an incredibly successful tenure at nearby Grand Canyon where she went 117-38 in five seasons and led the Lopes to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. Before that, she won 91 percent of her games over six seasons at Division II Drury and took the Panthers to the Final Four in 2019.

Arizona State won just 10 games last year, but Miller reshaped the roster with the transfer portal. All five starters for the Sun Devils played elsewhere last season, and together they’ve guided Arizona State to a 21-7 record, putting them in contention for a spot in the NCAA Tournament — a stage the program hasn’t been on since 2019.

The Sun Devils are also bringing in an ESPN-ranked top 60 recruit next season in guard Averie Lower out of Iowa. Miller will likely bolster the roster once more when the transfer portal opens officially the day after the national championship game.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arizona

$12.8M Arizona lottery ticket ‘win’ challenged in court

Published

on

.8M Arizona lottery ticket ‘win’ challenged in court


SCOTTSDALE, AZ (AZFamily) — A lawsuit filed in Maricopa County Superior Court is asking a judge to determine who is entitled to a $12.8 million Arizona Lottery prize after a winning ticket was printed at a Circle K on 56th Street and Bell Road.

According to the complaint filed by Circle K, a customer went to the store to purchase multiple tickets for “The Pick”, a lottery game in which players match six numbers on their tickets to six numbers drawn.

The lawsuit claims a clerk printed $85 worth of tickets, but the customer bought only $60 worth of tickets at $1 each. The remaining 25 tickets were set aside and not sold to any other customers.

The following day, store manager Robert Gawlitza allegedly realized one of the leftover tickets had hit the jackpot. According to the complaint, Gawlitza clocked out, removed his uniform, and had an employee ring him up with a receipt for all remaining tickets, including the winning $10 ticket.

Advertisement

“It is in the administrative rules that basically says if they overprint that the retailer owns the tickets,” said state Rep. Jeff Weninger, a Republican from Chandler, who is also the chairman of the House Commerce Committee.

Circle K cites the administrative rule in the suit. The company is asking a court to determine whether the ticket was ever validly sold, who lawfully owns the ticket, and who is entitled to the $12.8 million prize.

The Arizona Lottery is named as one of the defendants in the case and is aware of the legal action. “This is a unique situation, and we are not aware of any prior litigation of this sort involving the Arizona Lottery,” a spokesperson said in a statement to Arizona’s Family.

“It might be something after the court case is played out that we look at and say, OK, do we need this in actual law if a situation like this happens?” Weninger said.

The attorneys representing Circle K declined to comment. Gawlitza did not respond to a request for comment.

Advertisement

See a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please click here to report it.

Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.

Copyright 2026 KTVK/KPHO. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Arizona

Part of I-10 closed after crash in West Valley – KTAR.com

Published

on

Part of I-10 closed after crash in West Valley – KTAR.com


PHOENIX – Part of Interstate 10 is closed after a crash in Buckeye on Friday, Feb. 20, authorities said.

The crash occurred after 11 a.m. on eastbound I-10 near Sun Valley Parkway at milepost 108, north of Buckeye Municipal Airport, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.

The start of the closure area was eventually moved west to milepost 103 at Hassayampa Road.

According to ABC 15, a passenger vehicle collided with an Amazon semitruck, which rolled over on the freeway. The passenger vehicle driver was killed in the collision, the TV station reported.

Advertisement

Motorists have been advised to expect delays or seek alternate routes.

Westbound lanes were not restricted by the crash, but traffic was backing up in that direction, too.

Get the latest KTAR News 92.3 FM traffic alerts sent straight to your phone by texting “TRAFFIC” to 620620.

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.

Advertisement






Source link

Continue Reading

Trending