Connect with us

Alaska

Scientist at Plymouth conservation nonprofit dies in remote Alaska crash – The Boston Globe

Published

on

Scientist at Plymouth conservation nonprofit dies in remote Alaska crash – The Boston Globe


Schulte had traveled to Alaska to conduct conservation work, the statement said. He and the helicopter pilot were flying west from Prudhoe Bay to an area where he planned to outfit shorebirds with recording devices when the helicopter crashed on Wednesday, according to a spokesperson for Manomet Conservation Sciences.

The region Schulte was visiting has become a flashpoint in the debate over balancing the nation’s energy needs and confronting climate change. The oil company ConocoPhillips wants to establish an oil drilling venture there known as the Willow Project.

Schulte had also planned to visit the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, where he was to lead a crew tracking the migratory routes of whimbrels, another shorebird, with satellite transmitters, Manomet Conservation Sciences said.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the crash of the Robinson R66 helicopter killed the pilot and passenger, the only two people aboard. Authorities have not announced what caused the crash and are investigating.

Advertisement

Alaska Public Media identified the pilot as Jonathan Guibas, 54, who worked for Pollux Aviation in Wasilla. Guibas’s mother told the news organization that Guibas had joined the company about a month ago, and had previously lived in California, Guam, and Virginia.

The crash occurred on the first day of the bird study, about 20 miles west of Deadhorse in North Slope, the northernmost section of the state, Clint Johnson, chief of the safety board’s regional office in Alaska, said Friday.

“It’s in a very remote part of Alaska,” Johnson said. “There’s nothing there. It’s treeless, barren, in the middle of no place.”

Earlier last week, the region had been visited by high-ranking members of the Trump administration.

Energy Secretary Chris Wright, Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, and Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin toured parts of the North Slope to advocate for President Trump’s desire to open parts of the Alaskan wilderness to drilling and mining.

Advertisement

The helicopter had taken off at about 10:40 a.m. The pilot had received special weather clearance, known as VFR, or visual flight rules clearance, Johnson said.

North Slope Borough Search and Rescue traveled to the crash site on Wednesday and retrieved the victims’ bodies; on Friday afternoon, NTSB investigators visited the scene, which is only accessible by helicopter, he said.

An NTSB meteorologist and air traffic controller are working with investigators, who plan to transport the helicopter wreckage to Deadhorse to continue their work, according to Johnson. Officials plan to place the wreckage in a sling tethered to a helicopter for the journey back to Deadhorse, which has an airport, he said.

Last Saturday, Schulte shared photographs of violet-green and tree swallows he had spotted at Creamer’s Field, a wildlife refuge in Fairbanks, Alaska, according to his Instagram page.

Schulte coordinated an American oystercatcher recovery program that was launched in 2009 at Manomet Conservation Sciences. Conservation work by the program and its partners along the East Coast helped to rebuild the American oystercatcher population by 45 percent, the organization said.

Advertisement

“Shiloh gave his life in the service of something greater than himself, dedicating himself to preserving the natural world for future generations,” the group’s statement said.

In March, Schulte discussed progress in regrowing the population of the American oystercatcher, a striking shorebird with long, orange-red bills and black-and-white plumage that lives along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, according to a news release from Manomet Conservation Sciences.

In 2008, he said the population had dropped to fewer than 10,000 birds across the Americas, a 10 percent decline. Conservation efforts reversed that slide and there are now more than 14,000 birds.

“This success proves that when we commit to conservation, we can restore declining species,” he said in a statement on March 13.

Advertisement
Shiloh Schulte, left, was part a group trying to catch, radio tag and track a tiny shore bird, the American oystercatcher, on East Grand Terre Island, Louisiana in 2011, after the 2010 BP oil spill.Suzanne Kreiter/Globe Staff/The Boston Globe

Following the devastating BP oil spill that released millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, Schulte led a crew of researchers enlisted by the government to document the environmental impact on wildlife.

Schulte’s team was hired by the US Fish and Wildlife Service to locate resident oystercatchers in coastal Louisiana and outfit the oiled ones with radio transmitters to track their health, he told the Globe in 2010.

He earned a doctorate at North Carolina State University, where he studied American oystercatchers on the Outer Banks and helped to band and track the birds, according to his biography on the website for Manomet Conservation Sciences. As an undergraduate student, Schulte studied wildlife biology at the University of Vermont.

He was a competitive distance runner and earned a second-degree black belt in tae kwon do, the biography said.

In April, he ran the Boston Marathon, finishing the race with a time of 2 hours, 52 minutes, and 50 seconds. The time placed him 137th among 2,386 men between ages 45 and 49 who competed, according to results from the Boston Athletic Association.

Advertisement

Laura Crimaldi can be reached at laura.crimaldi@globe.com. Follow her @lauracrimaldi. Tonya Alanez can be reached at tonya.alanez@globe.com. Follow her @talanez.





Source link

Alaska

The Sun

Published

on

The Sun


Attention,

Our system has indicated that your user behaviour is potentially automated.

News Group Newspapers Limited does not permit the access, collection, text or data mining of any content from our Service by any automated means whether directly or through an intermediary service. This is stated in our terms and conditions.

If you would like to inquire about the commercial use of our content, please contact crawlpermission@news.co.uk.

Advertisement

Why am I seeing this?

Occasionally, our system misinterprets human behaviour as automated. If you are a legitimate user, please contact our customer support team here help@thesun.co.uk

Error Message

News Group Newspapers prohibits automated access, collection, or text/data mining of its content, including for AI, machine learning, or LLMs, as per its terms. For commercial use inquiries, contact crawlpermission@news.co.uk.

This is stated in our terms and conditions.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Alaska

Opinion: Typhoon Halong’s aftermath revealed Alaska at its best

Published

on

Opinion: Typhoon Halong’s aftermath revealed Alaska at its best


Kipnuk resident Garrett Kashatok holds 11-month-old Shameka while attending a town hall for people displaced by ex-typhoon Halong at Bettye Davis East High School on Wednesday evening, Nov. 12, 2025. (Bill Roth / ADN)

As we enter this holiday season, it is important to recognize and give thanks to the countless Alaskans who helped in Western Alaska’s emergency response to Typhoon Halong. In doing so, you helped preserve the dignity of your fellow Alaskans in need.

At the Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp. (YKHC), we had medical, behavioral health, construction and remote maintenance teams who worked very long hours and slept in affected villages. We shipped tens of thousands of pounds of critical supplies throughout the region. We set up and managed the Bethel shelter, its travel, meal preparation, laundry and cleaning operations. In future months, we will continue to lead water and sewer rebuilding efforts.

Since October, the daily local/state/federal emergency operations center has been hosted by YKHC at the Bethel hospital. YKHC helped lead and coordinate the local emergency operations center with other local agencies until the beginning of November and has since transitioned out of that role. YKHC assisted the Alaska National Guard and Coast Guard and evacuated more than 100 residents from affected villages to safe places of their choosing with more than 50 YKHC charter flights. We shipped more than 22,000 bottles of water, 12,000 ready-to-eat meals and other supplies throughout the region. Most of that was accomplished within the first five days after the storm.

We hosted Sen. Dan Sullivan, Sen. Lyman Hoffman, Rep. Nellie Jimmie, Speaker Bryce Edgmon, and other state and federal officials at YKHC for disaster coordination meetings. The state emergency operations center moved more than 600 evacuees out of the shelters to hotels and other noncongregate lodging by Oct. 31 — which for disasters, must be in record time. Hundreds more were taken in by family members from around the region, Anchorage or beyond.

Advertisement

I thank all 1,600 YKHC employees who helped survivors of Typhoon Halong. Your dedication and devotion toward achieving our mission and vision is applauded.

A special thank you to the Alaska National Guard and Coast Guard for their heroic and life-saving missions during the storm and those that continue today in order to help ready survivors’ homes for winter. The professionalism, urgency and compassion shown by the Guard, President Trump, Gov. Dunleavy, state of Alaska emergency operations center, FEMA, the Alaska Divisions of Forestry and Transportation, American Red Cross, AVCP, AVCP RHA, City of Bethel, Lower Kuskokwim School District, Samaritan’s Purse, Team Rubicon, World Kitchen, airline/cargo operators, local churches and businesses, the Municipality of Anchorage and many others is truly commended.

While recovery and repatriation will continue for months and years, if Alaskans continue to act with the same resolve as we did with this emergency response, more can be accomplished in the future.

Although many lost much during this tragedy, each of us still has much more to be thankful for during this holiday season.

Dan Winkelman is president and CEO of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp.

Advertisement

• • •

The Anchorage Daily News welcomes a broad range of viewpoints. To submit a piece for consideration, email commentary(at)adn.com. Send submissions shorter than 200 words to letters@adn.com or click here to submit via any web browser. Read our full guidelines for letters and commentaries here.





Source link

Continue Reading

Alaska

Spate of violent crime in Fairbanks, including 2 homicides, prompts special investigative detail from Alaska State Troopers

Published

on

Spate of violent crime in Fairbanks, including 2 homicides, prompts special investigative detail from Alaska State Troopers


An evening view of the Chena River and downtown Fairbanks on January 31, 2023. (Marc Lester / ADN)

A series of violent crimes in Fairbanks, all in the past month, has prompted the Alaska State Troopers to deploy a team of investigators from Anchorage and Mat-Su to focus on several unsolved cases and ongoing searches for suspects.

Two people were killed in Fairbanks in cases reported within an hour of each other early Saturday. A few days earlier, authorities say, someone fired shots at two trucks involved in a gold-hauling operation in the Fairbanks area. And the search continues for an 18-year-old wanted on murder charges in the death of a teenager at a Fairbanks party in late October.

The decision to send investigators as well as support staff from Southcentral to the Interior city comes in response to “the level of violent criminal activity in Fairbanks in such a short period of time,” Department of Public Safety spokesman Austin McDaniel said Tuesday.

The troopers are the lead investigative agency on all four of the cases and are adding to their existing staffing. The agency’s post in Fairbanks includes a major crime unit composed of a sergeant and six investigators, McDaniel said. The total additional staffing is under a dozen people, he said.

Advertisement

Troopers made a fairly immediate arrest in one of the homicides on Saturday: Brooklyn Whitman, 27, is charged with first-degree murder. Whitman is accused of firing a pistol through an apartment door, killing a woman who lived there with several young children, according to a criminal complaint filed in the case. The two had been involved in a relationship; the woman’s neighbors described hearing prior altercations and Whitman banging on the door that morning, the complaint said.

The other homicide that morning remains unsolved: 37-year-old Michael Boyd was found dead in the driver’s seat of a vehicle parked near a gas station in the Farmer’s Loop area, troopers said in an online dispatch. Boyd died of a gunshot wound, McDaniel said Tuesday.

Troopers are also involved in two ongoing searches for suspects in attempted murder and murder cases over the past month.

The agency is asking for assistance finding the occupant or occupants of a white Honda Pilot they say fired shots at two Black Gold Transport trucks on the Richardson Highway and near the Steese Highway and Chena Hot Springs Road last week.

They also continue to search for 18-year-old Darius Morgan, wanted on a $1 million warrant for murder in the death of a 15-year-old at a house party on Oct. 25. Witnesses saw him brandishing a black pistol at the party before the teen was shot, according to a criminal complaint filed in that case. Morgan was convicted of second-degree robbery last year and was not supposed to possess any weapons, the complaint said.

Advertisement

It’s possible Morgan is still in Fairbanks or is in Anchorage or the Southcentral area, McDaniel said Tuesday. He is considered armed and dangerous, and anyone who sees him should call 911 rather than approaching him, he said.

The violent crime detail in Fairbanks is part of a change the Alaska Bureau of Investigation made several years ago for unsolved homicides and other serious violent crimes like sexual assaults, McDaniel said. Instead of assigning a small team of case officers to run an investigation, he said, troopers deploy extra investigative resources to make progress more quickly.

“Everyone who wasn’t actively working on their own dynamic violent crime that had time sensitivity was either physically pulled up here or working on other supportive aspects,” McDaniel said. He said some investigators are prepared to stay in Fairbanks “for a significant amount of time.”

Anyone with information about the recent crimes in the Fairbanks area is asked to contact troopers at 907-451-5100.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending