Rep. Rebecca Himschoot, of Sitka, talks with Rep. Andi Story, D-Juneau, on the House floor on January 22, 2025. (Marc Lester / ADN)
Lawmakers succeeded last year in their effort to permanently boost the state’s per-student funding formula for K-12 public schools, twice overriding Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s vetoes to cement an increase that educators had long asked for.
But after years of flat funding from the state and declining enrollment, districts across Alaska this year say they are still in dire straits. The Anchorage School District, which last year spent down its budget reserve amid state funding uncertainty, is facing a $90 million deficit. The Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District has a $23 million deficit. The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District is estimating a deficit of $8.5 million. Juneau schools face a deficit of more than $5 million.
Senate Education Committee Chair Löki Tobin called the funding increase approved last year “woefully insufficient.”
The bipartisan majority coalition in the Alaska House is still prioritizing school funding, said House Education Committee Co-Chair Rep. Rebecca Himschoot, a Sitka independent, in an interview on Tuesday. But the mechanism by which that funding stability will be achieved remains unclear, she said.
Advertisement
“Education remains one of our No. 1 priorities, so we’re not backing away from it in the House Majority coalition, in any way at all,” said Himschoot. “Now the political reality of what’s possible is a different story. So whatever is possible — we’re committed to doing — and the limitation is what is actually possible.”
That political reality is shaped by limited revenue and “advocacy fatigue” that has left Alaskans tired of again asking for a funding boost after making it a flagship issue during the preceding two legislative sessions.
Last year’s boost to the state’s education formula was hailed by districts as a success, though it amounted to less than half the funding amount that public educators requested in 2024. Last year’s legislation yielded no effective revenue increase to most schools, because it came on the heels of an outside-the-formula spending boost of equal size in the preceding fiscal year.
In effect, the state’s K-12 education budget dropped between last year and the current year, by roughly $20 million, following a student enrollment drop of nearly 1,000 students.
Alaska has 125,317 public school students this year, according to data collected in the fall by the state. That’s down from 126,284 in 2024; 127,931 in 2023; and 128,088 in 2022.
Advertisement
Despite lawmakers’ hard-fought battles over education funding in recent years, the state’s effective spending on K-12 schools has remained virtually unchanged, going from $1.29 billion in the 2023 fiscal year to $1.33 billion in the current fiscal year, a roughly 3% increase, far below the inflation rate in the same period.
The governor’s budget draft introduced in December accounts for no new education funding this year, even as Dunleavy asked for spending increases for most other executive branch departments, to account for salary increases and other inflation-driven costs.
“Everything that our state government does requires increases every year, and yet we’re not providing those increases to education,” said Himschoot.
Funding woes have translated to different challenges across the state. In urban areas, including Anchorage, stagnant state funding has led districts to shutter enrichment programs and sports and grow class sizes. In rural areas, districts are struggling to keep buildings operational and qualified teachers in classrooms.
Ideas for shoring up education funding this year abound, said Himschoot and Tobin. They include pegging the state’s funding formula, known as the Base Student Allocation, to an inflation metric; providing dedicated funding streams for high-value budget items like reading coaches and vocational instructors; and upping state spending on the maintenance and repair of school buildings.
Advertisement
But three weeks into the legislative session, it is not immediately clear which of those ideas — if any — could garner enough support from the House and Senate to become law and fit into a tight budget process.
“We’ve got to get 11 votes in the Senate, 21 votes in the House, and hopefully get it past the governor. If that’s not the case, then I’m going to be working to get 40 (votes),” said Tobin, alluding to the threshold needed to override the governor.
Senate leaders said Tuesday that they are focused on addressing a backlog that has left school buildings with deferred maintenance and repair projects worth more than $2 billion.
The Legislature has in recent years funded only a fraction of maintenance projects identified as priorities by schools. The identified priorities are themselves an undercount of needed projects, lawmakers say, because some districts have stopped applying to the state for funding.
Dunleavy has during his tenure repeatedly slashed education funding to the tune of tens of millions of dollars annually for both school operations and maintenance. He has not commented publicly this year on whether he would allow an education funding increase to become law or again use his veto pen.
Advertisement
“The Senate majority is continuing to look for pathways to help support our struggling public school infrastructure, and also our public school services, and we are going to use every opportunity and everything available to us to invest in the best and most important resource our state has, which is our children,” said Tobin, an Anchorage Democrat.
Himschoot said she doesn’t think it’s realistic “at all” to again increase the Base Student Allocation by $700, which is what lawmakers did last year — bringing it from $5,960 to $6,660. But a smaller increase may be possible, she said.
“Will there be some kind of BSA inflationary adjustment? I think that’s on the table. Will there be funding to other programs that bring relief to districts? I think that’s on the table. In the absence of a solid fiscal plan, it’s really hard to talk about what’s possible,” Himschoot said.
Dunleavy last year vetoed a bill approved by lawmakers that would have raised between $25 million and $65 million by applying the state’s corporate income tax to Outside companies providing online services to Alaskans. That bill would have directed the new revenue to reading assistance and vocational programs in Alaska schools. After lawmakers failed to override Dunleavy’s veto last month, House majority members reintroduced the revenue bill. It is scheduled for a hearing later this week.
The House Education Committee is currently considering a bill from Rep. Andi Story, a Juneau Democrat who co-chairs the committee, which would change the way the state allocates money to districts. The bill would allow the districts to average out their attendance numbers over a three-year period, rather than using a single-year figure, among other changes. That would provide districts with more funding stability even as their enrollment numbers fluctuate.
Advertisement
The change is based on recommendations that appeared in a 2015 report commissioned by lawmakers.
According to Dunleavy administration education officials, the change could increase state spending on schools more than $70 million in the coming fiscal year. Of that, roughly $23 million would go to the Anchorage School District; nearly $10 million would go to the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District; and more than $8 million would go to the Kenai Peninsula borough School District.
But it’s not immediately clear whether that bill will get the support needed to advance.
“I don’t see $70 million low-hanging fruit anywhere in the state right now,” said Himschoot.
“To me, it’s reasonable,” she said on the prospect of spending that amount from state savings. “To some of my colleagues, it’s not reasonable at all.”
Advertisement
Daily News reporter Mari Kanagy contributed from Juneau.
A 29-foot Response Boat–Small crew from Coast Guard Station Seattle enforces a security zone at a parade of ships event during during the annual Fleet Week and Seafair Festival celebration in Seattle August 1, 2022. Multiple Coast Guard Cutter crews from around the Puget Sound region joined two Navy ships and two Royal Canadian Navy vessels during the parade along Seattle’s waterfront. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Travis Magee)
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Coast Guard has changed the contact information for Sector Western Alaska and U.S. Arctic staff offices and other units throughout Western Alaska as part of a service-wide telephone modernization directive, Thursday, Feb. 12.
The main phone line for the sector can now be reached at (206) 815-7100.
Callers will be presented with a phone tree, providing them with options to contact one of the following:
Search and Rescue Command Center
National Response Center
Command Executive Assistant
Response Department
Prevention Department
Logistics Department
Emergency Management Division
Other Coast Guard units in Alaska
These other units can be reached directly at the numbers listed below or by dialing the main phone line for Sector Western Alaska and U.S. Arctic and pressing 8 at the automated menu.
Unit
Advertisement
New Phone Number
Sector Western Alaska and U.S. Arctic – Phone Tree
(Previously Sector Anchorage)
(206) 815-7100
Sector Western Alaska and U.S. Arctic –
Advertisement
24/7 Search and Rescue Command Center
(866) 396-1361
Regional Exam Center Anchorage
(206) 815-6454
Recruiting Office Anchorage
Advertisement
(206) 815-6345
Coast Guard Investigative Service Anchorage
(206) 815-6738
Marine Safety Detachment Homer
(206) 815-6992
Advertisement
Marine Safety Unit Kodiak
(206) 815-7145
Marine Safety Unit Dutch Harbor
(206) 815-6842
Marine Safety Unit Valdez
Advertisement
(206) 815-6945
Arctic District Command Center
(Previously 17th Coast Guard District)
(800) 478-5555
Advertisement
Sector Western Alaska and U.S. Arctic remains physically located on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.
The sector Search and Rescue Command Center watchstanders are available 24 hours a day at (866) 396-1361 and VHF Channel 16.
For media inquiries, please contact uscgalaska@uscg.mil.
ANCHORAGE, AK (Alaska’s News Source) – A Winter Storm Watch has been issued from Monday morning across the Western region just shortly after a Winter Storm Warning expired following Friday’s storm.
Across the Western coastline from Kotzebue to Dillingham, weather alerts will be active Monday morning as the next storm will make landfall Monday afternoon, with the second stage of this storm moving in Tuesday night. Heaviest snowfall amounts are likely in Norton Sound, Yukon Valley, and Upper Kuskokwim Valley. Snow totals from this next storm are likely from 6 to 12 inches of snow across the Winter Storm Watch region with wind gusts as high as 60 MPH adding to reduced visibility and white out conditions. Dillingham is under a Winter Weather Advisory as less snow accumulation is anticipated with 3 to 5 inches Monday. Bethel will be under a blizzard warning from Monday morning to Monday night as 3 to 7 inches of snow are likely paired with gusts up to 55 MPH.
The Aleutian Chain will get moderate rainfall, about 0.4 to 0.6 inches, as early as Sunday night into Monday morning with heaviest rainfall from Unalaska up the Alaska Peninsula.
Download the free Alaska’s News Source Weather App.
Advertisement
Interior Alaska had a snowy weekend, making Valentine’s Day feel a little more like Christmas. Around noon Sunday, Fairbanks reported about 10.1 inches of snowfall but more is expected into the evening hours across the region. By Monday, it’ll feel like the snow never even happened as mostly sunny to clear skies will brighten your day. Temperatures will plummet nearly 20 degrees from Sunday to Monday, but a return in this winter weather should be expected by Tuesday night to Wednesday morning.
The North Slope is staying out of the way of these winter storms as the Brooks Range protects the region from snow, however, the main concern continues with colder temperatures. Lows nearly 25 to 30 degrees below zero will feel a bit colder as wind chill will reach -55 to -60 degrees.
Send us your weather photos and videos here!
In Southcentral, mostly sunny skies are closing out the weekend and kicking off the work week, but colder temperatures are returning as a result of a cooling trend impacting most of the state. Strong wind gusts up to 50 MPH will affect Seward, Valdez, Cordova and Whittier on Monday.
Southeast is on the brink of a high pressure system which will cool temperatures roughly 10 to 15 degrees, also shifting in mostly sunny skies. High wind is a concern for Juneau and Skagway Monday as wind gusts could reach up to 40 and 45 MPH.
Advertisement
24/7 Alaska Weather: Get access to live radar, satellite, weather cameras, current conditions, and the latest weather forecast here. Also available through the Alaska’s News Source streaming app available on Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.
Copyright 2026 Alaska’s News Source. All rights reserved.
NASA launched two rockets from Alaska this week to learn more about the electrical “circuitry” within auroras, the colorful light shows that occur when solar wind collides with Earth’s atmosphere.
The missions saw two suborbital sounding rockets launch from the Poker Flat Research Range near Fairbanks, Alaska loaded with scientific equipment that will fly into the atmosphere for a short period of time to gather data.
The destination for the rockets in both missions was the northern lights, or aurora borealis.
The Black and Diffuse Auroral Science Surveyor (BADASS) mission launched in the early morning of Feb. 9 to study black auroras, an event that occurs when electrons shoot up into space, instead of flowing toward Earth, which is what happens with other auroras.
The rocket reached an altitude of 224 miles (360 km) before falling back to Earth. The BADASS mission’s principal investigator Marilia Samara said everything went according to plan and that the scientific instruments on the rocket performed as expected, returning high-quality data that NASA can use to study black auroras and what causes the electron stream reversal to happen.
Black aurora seen on a Hurtigruten cruise voyage in Norway. (Image credit: Future/Daisy Dobrijevic)
The Geophysical Non-Equilibrium Ionospheric System Science (GNEISS) mission, pronounced “nice”, used a pair of sounding rockets on a wider mission of creating a ‘CT scan’ of the electric currents flowing in the northern lights.
The GNEISS rockets launched back-to-back on Feb. 10 and reached peak altitudes of 198 miles (319 km) and 198 miles (319 km). The launches for the GNEISS mission went according to plan, gathering data that NASA will use to look into auroras’ inner workings.
Advertisement
Breaking space news, the latest updates on rocket launches, skywatching events and more!
“We want to know how the current spreads downward through the atmosphere,” Kristina Lynch, GNEISS principal investigator and Dartmouth College professor said in a NASA statement.
Using the two rockets with a network of ground receivers, the data gathered during the flight will allow researchers to create a three-dimensional view of an aurora’s electoral environment.
“It’s essentially like doing a CT scan of the plasma beneath the aurora,” Lynch said.
Studying auroras is important, because they are associated with geomagnetic storms, which can cause all kinds of technical issues for satellites in space, as well as endanger astronauts. On Earth, the storms can lead to power blackouts, cause air travel diversions, and interfere with radio transmissions.