Connect with us

Sports

Red Bull F1 faces tough decisions as Sergio Pérez finally signals his looming exit

Published

on

Red Bull F1 faces tough decisions as Sergio Pérez finally signals his looming exit

Bringing his car to a stop after a hit from Valtteri Bottas, Sergio Pérez must have known that would likely be his final act as a Red Bull Formula One driver.

At the end of a disappointing — in his own words, “terrible” — year, Pérez didn’t even get the chance to complete a single lap in the Abu Dhabi season finale. The clout from Bottas, for which the Sauber driver was penalized, caused Pérez’s RB20 to lose power and come to a halt.

It denied Pérez the chance to sign off from F1 2024 on a positive note. But speaking after the retirement, he admitted for the first time he may not race for Red Bull in 2025.

“We’re talking to try and see what’s best going forward, and we’ll see what happens in the coming days,” Pérez said. He added he and the team would “discuss what is the situation for both parties and see if we’re able to reach an agreement.”

It became clear heading to Abu Dhabi that Pérez’s time at Red Bull was running out. The team had lost out on the constructors’ championship, ending the season third behind McLaren and Ferrari — and, with it, the associated prize money. It’s only the third time since 2000 that the drivers’ champion, Verstappen, does not drive for the constructors’ champion.

Advertisement

At the end of a year of speculation about Pérez’s future, it at last seems that Red Bull decided enough was enough and that a change is required for 2025.

Until Sunday, Pérez had been defiant — that he would be at Red Bull next year, despite his underperformance this season, scoring barely one-third of Max Verstappen’s points total and failing to finish on the podium since round five in China. As he kept saying, he had signed a contract extension in June.

Pérez stuck to his guns about his 2025 contract through Thursday’s media day. After qualifying on Saturday, he still didn’t entertain a thought about Sunday being his last race with Red Bull, saying there was “nothing new to add to what I’ve been saying before.”

The change in tune from Pérez on Sunday was also present in Red Bull’s post-race press release. In it, the team quoted Pérez as saying: “We will see what happens in the coming days, I don’t know what is going to happen at the moment, I have a contract and the team and I have been talking. It’s a case of discussing what is the best for everybody moving forwards.”

Talks started in Abu Dhabi between Pérez’s camp and Red Bull about working on the agreement that Pérez referred to, essentially a deal for him to give up the race seat for next year. Given Pérez’s contribution to Red Bull’s recent success in F1, some kind of ambassadorial role is certainly on the table.

Advertisement

Pérez scored 65 points since the Chinese GP in April. Verstappen scored 337 points. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)

After the race, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said the team wanted to sit down with Pérez and “work out what is the right and appropriate way forward.” He highlighted Pérez’s efforts at the team, particularly the two constructors’ titles and his assist for Max Verstappen at the 2021 finale in Abu Dhabi. Despite the difficulty of 2024, there remains a lot of respect for the driver at Red Bull.

“Sitting here now, he’s still our driver,” Horner said. “So it would be wrong for me to speculate on what next year may look like until he and I have sat down and discussed this year, and we reflect on it as a team.”

But Horner also said the drop to third in the championship showed why having two drivers consistently scoring was crucial, especially going into another competitive season in 2025. “Ferrari will be strong with their line-up next year,” he said. “McLaren have a strong line-up. Mercedes will have an inexperienced driver in one of their seats. And so for us, it’s very important that both of our drivers are delivering and there’s not a significant gap.”

Once Pérez’s presumed exit is agreed upon, Red Bull’s next task will be to decide who will race alongside Verstappen. Horner said the four-time champion is the “hardest teammate in the world to have.”

All the signs in Abu Dhabi pointed to RB’s Liam Lawson getting the nod and becoming a Red Bull Racing driver in 2025. The New Zealander retired late in Abu Dhabi after an earlier loose wheel cost him the chance to fight for points, and he only has 11 F1 races to his name. However, he has always been highly regarded within the Red Bull setup, particularly by adviser Helmut Marko. Red Bull also has a history of backing such inexperience, promoting Alex Albon to become Verstappen’s teammate after only 12 races in 2019. Lawson, 22, has just one retirement and six points.

Advertisement

Promoting Lawson would be a blow to Yuki Tsunoda, who qualified ahead in all six races they spent as teammates this year. Tsunoda, 24, has raced for RB since 2021 and made decent progress each year, yet doubts appear to linger from Red Bull over promoting him to the senior squad.

“I think Liam, in challenging circumstances, he’s done a very good job,” Horner said post-race in Abu Dhabi. “If you analyze what he’s done in the time that he’s had and the race pace that he’s had, I think he’s done a good job.

“I think Yuki has done a good job. In the event that anything were decided with Checo, they’d be the candidates that we would look towards.”

If Red Bull named Lawson as Verstappen’s teammate for 2025, it would open up a seat alongside Tsunoda at RB that looks likely to be filled by Isack Hadjar. Hadjar, 20, finished runner-up in this year’s F2 standings and participated in two F1 practice sessions for Red Bull in 2024. He hinted in Qatar that he already knew his plans for 2025, having emerged as the leading youngster in Red Bull’s junior program waiting to move up to F1.


Sergio Perez walks to his garage after the qualifying session ahead of the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix. (HAMAD I MOHAMMED/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Pérez’s struggles through 2024 have been tough to watch. He started strong, scoring four podiums in the first five races. At Suzuka, a true ‘driver’s track’ where Verstappen’s natural gifts come to the fore, he was within a tenth of taking pole. When his form started to dip, Red Bull thought the new contract would provide the backing and boost he needed. Horner admitted on Friday that it simply “didn’t work.”

Advertisement

That effort to support Pérez has left the team in its current position, trying to work out agreeable terms for his exit and ending a rollercoaster four-season partnership. Horner said there was “no immediate rush” to work things out, but a swift resolution would surely suit all parties.

It would give Red Bull the chance to turn the page and put full focus on 2025 — and, presuming he gets the seat, give Lawson the most amount of time to prepare for the most formidable job in all of racing: being Verstappen’s teammate. It is a task that Pérez warned on Thursday, perhaps knowing how the wind was blowing, would be a big test for any young driver.

“Being teammates with Max at Red Bull as a young driver, I wouldn’t like to be in those shoes, if I’m honest,” Pérez said.

“People cannot underestimate the level of challenge that there is in this seat.”

go-deeper

Top photo: Mark Thompson/Getty Images

Advertisement

Sports

Super Bowl champion coach takes issue with NFL officials over pass interference penalties

Published

on

Super Bowl champion coach takes issue with NFL officials over pass interference penalties

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Super Bowl champion head coach Tony Dungy expressed his frustration with inconsistent pass interference penalties during Thanksgiving Day’s slate of NFL games.

There were plenty of questionable calls during each of the three games – as there have been over the course of the entire 2025 season. He wrote on social media that the discrepancies have made it appear that NFL officials do not know what pass interference is.

Tony Dungy on the NBC Sports set before the game between the Los Angeles Rams and the Buffalo Bills at SoFi Stadium on Sept. 8, 2022.  (Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports)

Advertisement

“When you watch NFL football all day long you just come to the conclusion our officials don’t know what pass interference is,” he wrote on X. “We tried making it reviewable a couple of years ago and that didn’t help. But these are monster penalties that are not called consistently at all.”

Dungy explained his take further when one X user wrote back that his comments were “cheap seats kind of gripes.”

“I had a good day watching football. I just think pass interference is called very inconsistently. And they are sometimes 40 yard penalties. Doesn’t make it a cheap seat gripe. It’s just a statement of fact made from watching 3 games with (DBs) and WRs making contact on 40-50 passes. Anybody who watched the games would say the same thing.”

Former NFL coach Tony Dungy looks on from the sideline during the NFL 2025 game between Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers at Levi’s Stadium on Oct. 19, 2025 in Santa Clara, California.  (Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)

GIANTS’ JAXSON DART TO START VS. PATRIOTS AFTER MISSING 2 GAMES WITH CONCUSSION

Advertisement

NFL officials have sparked debates across social media over pass interference calls, which have also reached the broadcast booth as Tony Romo and Cris Collinsworth were among those critical of them this year.

Former NFL head coach Jon Gruden said last December that he would want to see the league adopt college football’s rules on pass interference penalties.

“I would make it the college rule, honestly, because some of these pass interference calls are impacting the game, just one play there,” Gruden said at the time on the “Pardon My Take” podcast.

Bundle FOX One and FOX Nation to stream the entire FOX Nation library, plus live FOX News, Sports, and Entertainment at our lowest price of the year. The offer ends on Jan. 4, 2026. (Fox One; Fox Nation)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

He also suggested the call was too subjective and that the penalty flag should only be thrown if it is clear and obvious.

Fox News’ Chantz Martin contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Continue Reading

Sports

San Fernando claims first City Section football title since 2017

Published

on

Junior cornerback Ayden Celis recovered a fumble at San Fernando’s 22-yard line with 1:27 remaining and the second-seeded Tigers held on to beat No. 1-seeded Cleveland 21-14 at Birmingham High.

It was the ninth City title for San Fernando (11-3) and its first since 2017.

Melvin Pineda plowed into the end zone on fourth and goal from the one-yard line to end San Fernando’s first drive and, after teammate Brandan Marshall recovered a fumble at the Tigers’ 46, Pineda capped the ensuing possession with another one-yard touchdown, his sixth of the playoffs, to make it 14-0.

Cleveland marched to San Fernando’s eight-yard line late in the second quarter but a 25-yard field-goal attempt by Samael Cerritos hit the left upright.

Oluwafemi Okeola intercepted an overthrown pass at the San Fernando 46 early in the third quarter and nine plays later quarterback Domenik Fuentes scored on a three-yard keeper to pull the top-seeded Cavaliers within eight.

Advertisement

Three runs by Brandon Maldonado gained 37 yards to set up Fuentes’ one-yard plunge and a two-point conversion run by Joseph Hurtado that tied the score, 14-14, with 9:33 left.

San Fernando responded with a 75-yard drive, regaining the lead on a two-yard run by Andrew Newchurch, his 16th touchdown of the season, and a clutch extra point by Isaac Ortega with 4:36 remaining in the game.

“It was probably my last [high school] football game and we got the win,” Newchurch said. “The play was overload left and it was wide open. We’re proud to add to the school legacy — we hadn’t won City in a long time.”

The Tigers lost to eventual-champion Chatsworth in the first round of the Division II playoffs last season.

Cleveland (5-9) was seeking its first City title.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Ex-NFL star Shawne Merriman explains why his MMA promotion has no interest in competing with UFC

Published

on

Ex-NFL star Shawne Merriman explains why his MMA promotion has no interest in competing with UFC

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Former NFL star Shawne Merriman is building his mixed martial arts company to stand out from the rest.

Lights Out Xtreme Fighting introduced game-changing AI technology for advertisers a few months ago and will provide more data for fans and MMA officials alike with glove technology that will be introduced with its next fight card. All of that on top of Lights Out Sports that Merriman created to highlight his promotion as well as a variety of different sports.

Shawne Merriman spoke to Fox News Digital about new innovative happenings at Lights Out Xtreme Fighting. (Robert Hanashiro, USAT, USA TODAY via Imagn Content Services, LLC)

Advertisement

Merriman said while he sees other companies trying to compete with UFC and burning through cash in their attempts, Lights Out Xtreme Fighting is doing something completely different.

“We never looked to compete. We’re creating. We don’t want to compete with the UFC.We don’t care,” he told Fox News Digital in a recent interview. “We know there’s other promotions and other organizations out there trying to compete with the UFC.

“In my opinion, I don’t think there will be anybody bigger than the UFC and there’s a lot of promotions that are just trying to spend their way to the top with money. Just outspend their way and not (having success). We are (successful) because we’ve been more efficient and we are an incubator. We’re not trying to compete with anybody. We’re a hub for this technology, this data and these great fights, and for guys to go into the UFC when they become champions for Lights Out Xtreme Fighting. That’s where we are.”

EX-UFC FIGHTER DAN HENDERSON ENDORSES CHAD BIANCO FOR CALIFORNIA GOVERNOR, RIPS NEWSOM FOR STATE’S ISSUES

Shawne Merriman, former NFL and Maryland Terrapins linebacker, is recognized on the court for his charity Lights On Foundation’s during the second half of the game against the George Washington Colonials at Xfinity Center on Nov. 11, 2021. (Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports)

Advertisement

Merriman said he wants the company to focus on building and implementing new technology to make them stand out from the rest.

“We want to change the game. We don’t want to keep going down the track and trying to be like everybody else. We don’t even compete with the UFC because honestly, truthfully, we don’t care,” he said.

Lights Out 29 will take place on Dec. 6 in Long Beach, California, at Thunder Studios. Jake Babian, Sam Fournier, Jordan Azurdia, Dalton Hambrock and Corvan Allen are expected to be in action.

“This growth that we’ve had over the past year has been unprecedented,” Merriman told Fox News Digital. “I don’t think anything like this has happened ever in combat sports. We’ve sent five fighters to the UFC in the last two months. We love that, man.

San Diego Chargers linebacker (56) Shawne Merriman against the Baltimore Ravens at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego on Sept. 20, 2009. (Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports)

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“We love to be able to let those guys go and follow that platform. Just the notoriety we’ve gotten over this past year, we want to be considered one of the best in this business and we’re on our way.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending