Southwest
Texas county reworks guaranteed income program after legal blow by state’s Supreme Court
Harris County, Texas leaders on Thursday approved changes to a guaranteed income program after it was challenged and struck down by the state’s Supreme Court.
“Hundreds of Harris County families were counting on $500 monthly payments back in April to help lift them out of poverty, and they were left in the lurch because of Texas state leaders’ political posturing,” Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said in a press release.
Due to the legal challenges against the guaranteed income program, Uplift Harris, the Harris County Commissioners Court placed restrictions on the program participants’ spending.
Under the new version of Uplift Harris, approximately 1,600 families who were enrolled in the program back in March will receive a preloaded $500 monthly debit card that is limited to essential needs like grocery shopping and medicine. Participants are expected to receive the debit cards in four months.
“While launching this new program instead of a guaranteed income program isn’t ideal, it’s the best way we can try to keep our promise to these families,” Hidalgo said.
Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo were “left in the lurch because of Texas state leaders’ political posturing” after the guaranteed income program Uplift Harris was legally challenged by the state and struck down by the Texas Supreme Court.
Uplift Harris was passed by a 4-1 vote last year. The Harris County Commissioners Court is an elected body of four policymaking actors and the county judge that meets bi-weekly to serve Harris County, Texas. The county judge serves as the county’s chief executive officer.
JUDGE PUTS PAUSE ON ST. LOUIS GUARANTEED INCOME PROGRAM THAT PAYS POOR FAMILIES $500 A MONTH
The program was funded with $20.5 million from the federal American Rescue Plan Act. Houston, the largest city in Texas, makes up most of Harris County’s population.
Commissioner Tom Ramsey of Precinct 3 told Fox News Digital that “this is not the way to do it.”
“While all of us on the court want to help Harris County residents, this is not the way to do it. This court has a history of trying to rewrite the lines and rules and laws and this is just another example,” Ramsey said.
He added that “this program will benefit a very few, select people and this same amount of money could help so many more if it was used properly.”
The Uplift Harris guaranteed income program was funded with $20.5 million from the federal American Rescue Plan Act. Houston, the largest city in Texas, makes up most of Harris County’s population. (iStock)
Ramsey went on to say, “Harris County has a spending problem, not a revenue problem. You can invest $20M in the most underserved neighborhood in Harris County and change it for 50 years. Instead, we’re spending $20M to give less than 2,000 families $500/month for 18 months.”
He continued, “We’re told what they can spend can be somewhat restricted through a debit card, but why attempt to do something we have already been told is not legal? This is bad policy.”
SAN FRANCISCO SUED OVER GUARANTEED-INCOME PROGRAMS BLASTED BY CRITICS AS RACIST
Last week, the commissioners were looking to revive Uplift Harris after it was struck down by the Texas Supreme Court. Ramsey told Fox News Digital that his colleagues were trying to “sidestep” the legal challenge against the program.
Harris County officials met to discuss reviving the program and limiting the funds to approved spending categories, a move that Hidalgo said should prevent any legal challenges against the program.
The effort came after the Texas Supreme Court issued a ruling in June that prohibited Harris County from operating Uplift Harris.
The court raised “serious doubt” about the constitutional merits of the program.
Uplift Harris was never able to distribute the funds due to the court order. It would have distributed $500 per month for 18 months to selected participants, The program started on Jan. 12, and enrolled over 1,900 applicants among a pool of more than 80,000 applications.
Hidalgo’s office stated that the number of applications demonstrates “the huge need for anti-poverty programs in Harris County,” citing data that 1 in 6 people in Harris County live in poverty and 2 in 5 reported that they could not afford a $400 emergency.
A Harris County attorney defended a guaranteed income program that’s been targeted in a lawsuit filed by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton.
The Texas Supreme Court’s ruling on Uplift Harris came after Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a lawsuit arguing that Uplift Harris is “plainly unconstitutional.: Paxton’s lawsuit stemmed from Republican State Sen. Paul Bettencourt urged the attorney general to review Uplift Harris’ constitutional merits soon after the program launched.
In response to Harris County Commissioners Court efforts to revive Uplift Harris, Harris County Attorney Christian Menefee told Fox News Digital that the original version of the program was “legal.”
“The county may create a new program with spending restrictions to address politically charged challenges brought by Republican officials. It is my hope that this new program will not bring another lawsuit from the AG, and allow Harris County residents to receive much needed relief,” Menefee told Fox News Digital.
Harris County is among many municipalities and lawmaking bodies pushing guaranteed income programs. The programs have become a trend across the U.S., with some facing legal and funding challenges.
Some studies have shown that the pilots have produced positive results, Fox News Digital previously reported.
Read the full article from Here
Los Angeles, Ca
Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled
Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.
Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit.
It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.
“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.”
Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday.
Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.
“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”
“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.
The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show.
More information can be found here.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say
A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.
The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.
“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”
Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.
“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note: the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”
In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”
The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.
In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.
NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City.
Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.
Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Los Angeles, Ca
L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call
A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said.
According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex.
Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.
“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”
Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence.
No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released.
-
San Francisco, CA5 minutes agoSan Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak
-
Dallas, TX11 minutes agoThe art of showing up: how two Dallas women paint a new vision for relief
-
Miami, FL17 minutes agoMessi’s goal, assist lead Inter Miami to 2-0 win over Portland and first at new stadium
-
Boston, MA23 minutes agoFire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings
-
Denver, CO29 minutes agoNuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats
-
Seattle, WA35 minutes agoCaitlin Clark’s stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm
-
Milwaukee, WI47 minutes agoWisconsin’s Most Wanted: Erin Conley sought for child sex assault
-
Atlanta, GA53 minutes agoPolice investigating fatal shooting in Stone Mountain