Southwest
Florida’s CAIR threatens lawsuit against DeSantis after he labels group a ‘foreign terrorist’ organization
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) says it plans to take Gov. Ron DeSantis to court after the Republican governor issued an executive order labeling the Muslim civil rights organization a “foreign terrorist organization.”
Hiba Rahim, the chapter’s deputy executive director, said during a news conference that the order was an attack rooted in conspiracy theories and compared it to historical efforts that targeted Jewish, Irish and Italian American communities.
“We are very proud to defend the founding principles of our Constitution, to defend free speech,” Rahim said at a news conference. “We are proud to defend democracy, and we are proud to be America first.”
Rahim argued that the governor’s support for Israel played a role in the order, saying the group’s activism had caused “discomfort” to the U.S. ally. She said CAIR does not intend to back down.
FLORIDA DESIGNATES MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD AND CAIR AS FOREIGN TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS, DESANTIS SAYS
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis labeled CAIR and the Muslim Brotherhood as a “foreign terrorist organization.” (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell, File)
Governor DeSantis, meanwhile, defended the move, saying his administration had sufficient grounds for the designation. Speaking to reporters Tuesday, he said he welcomed CAIR’s legal challenge and described the designation as “a long time coming.”
DeSantis’ order also lists the Muslim Brotherhood as a “foreign terrorist” organization. Last month, President Donald Trump issued an executive order to begin a federal process to consider designating certain chapters of the Muslim Brotherhood as a foreign terrorist organization.
The governor said he expects Florida lawmakers to pursue related legislation when the legislature reconvenes in January, calling the executive order “the beginning.”
TRUMP SIGNALS PLAN TO DESIGNATE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he welcomes CAIR’s lawsuit. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Under DeSantis’ directive, state agencies are barred from awarding contracts, employment or funds to CAIR, the Muslim Brotherhood or any groups deemed to have materially supported them.
At the Tampa news conference, attorney Miranda Margolis criticized the order and argued DeSantis had exceeded his authority by unilaterally designating a nonprofit as a terrorist organization.
“This designation is without legal or factual basis and constitutes a dangerous escalation of anti-Muslim political rhetoric,” Margolis said.
Florida’s action comes after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued a similar proclamation. CAIR has challenged Abbott’s designation in federal court, arguing it violates the U.S. Constitution and Texas law. Muslim and interfaith organizations have urged Abbott to rescind the order.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued a proclamation designating CAIR and the Muslim Brotherhood as “foreign terrorist organizations.” (Getty Images)
State-level designations do not carry the same legal weight as federal Foreign Terrorist Organization classifications, which can only be issued by the U.S. State Department.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
CAIR argues the Florida order violates its First Amendment rights and due-process protections and that terrorism designations fall under federal jurisdiction, not state power.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
Los Angeles, Ca
Firefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California
Firefighters are making significant progress on the flurry of wildfires that ignited across Southern California within the last week, during a period of dry, windy weather.
Firefighters say they’re now in the mop-up phase of battling the region’s largest active wildfire, the Santa Rosa Island Fire. The fire has grown to nearly 18,400 acres since it started on May 15.
The Santa Rosa Island Fire is the largest ever recorded on the Channel Islands. Investigators say the fire was started by an emergency flare fired by a man who crashed his sailboat into the island.
Two uninhabited historic structures have been lost to the fire: The Johnson’s Lee Equipment Shed on the western end of the island, and Wreck Line Camp Cabin on the eastern end, National Park Service officials said.
The Sandy Fire in Ventura County is now 61% contained after burning nearly 2,200 acres in Simi Valley. The fire started on May 18, and has destroyed at least one home.
The Sandy Fire prompted the Simi Valley Unified School District to shutter all of its schools for almost a week. The district announced Friday that the schools will reopen on May 26. The district said that the closures will not result in a longer school year.
“We will not need to extend the school year to make up for the days schools were closed due to the fire emergency,” the Simi Valley Unified School District announced Friday. “The district intends to seek the appropriate state waiver related to attendance and instructional minutes resulting from a widespread public emergency.”
See details for all the major fires burning across Southern California below:
Santa Rosa Island Fire
- Location: Channel Islands National Park
- Size: 18,379 acres
- Containment: 72% contained
- Date started: May 15
Sandy Fire
- Location: Ventura County
- Size: 2,183 acres
- Containment: 61% contained
- Date started: May 18
Bain Fire
- Location: Riverside County
- Size: 1,497 acres
- Containment: 81% contained
- Date started: May 19
Verona Fire
- Location: Riverside County
- Size: 648 acres
- Containment: 67% contained
- Date started: May 19
Tusil Fire
- Location: San Diego County
- Size: 820 acres
- Containment: 100% contained
- Date started: May 19
Alta Fire
- Location: Los Angeles County
- Size: 334 acres
- Containment: 0% contained
- Date started: May 21
Los Angeles, Ca
Miley Cyrus to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Every time Miley Cyrus walks, it’s a walk of fame. However, on Friday, she’s about to make it official.
She will be cemented in Hollywood history by receiving the 2,845th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Smilers, the nickname for Cyrus’s fan base, have been lining up since Thursday night to see the Grammy winner later in the day to accept the honor. It stretches down the block hours before the ceremony.
The “Flowers” singer’s star will be located on 7011 Hollywood Blvd., which is right next to the Marshalls near Madame Tussauds Hollywood.
KOST 103.5 F.M.’s Ellen K will serve as the host of the ceremony. Actress Aya Taylor Joy and fashion designer Donatella Versace are expected to speak.
The ceremony starts at 11:30 a.m. and will also be livestreamed here.
This is an achievement 20 years in the making for the former Disney darling. In 2006, she burst onto the scene as the fictional pop star, Hannah Montana, who was living a dual life. This year, she honored the 20th anniversary of “Hannah Montana” by reuniting with her former castmates for an hour-long special.
Cyrus then became a singer in her own right, blending rock, country, soul, and alternative within her lengthy catalog.
The three-time Golden Globe nominee is also a songwriter behind many platinum and diamond-certified singles and albums.
In 2024, won record of the year and best pop solo performance for “Flowers” at the Grammys. In 2025, her collaboration with Beyoncé received the Grammy for best country duo/group performance.
Los Angeles, Ca
Loved ones search for missing 21-year-old Southern California man with special needs
Loved ones are searching for a Los Angeles County man with special needs who has been missing for nearly a month.
Davyon Demonte Valencia, 21, was reported missing on April 23, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Valencia, who is considered at-risk, was last seen on the 400 block of East 126th Street in the Willowbrook neighborhood of South L.A.
He is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 115 pounds. He has brown eyes and brown hair and was last seen wearing a black sweater and blue sweatpants.
He may have been heading to the 12000 block of South Broadway or the 900 Block of East El Segundo Boulevard in L.A. when he disappeared.
They have not heard from him since and are very concerned for his well-being.
Anyone who may know Valencia’s whereabouts or has information on the case can call LASD’s Missing Persons Detail at 323-890-5500.
Anonymous tips can be provided to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at lacrimestoppers.org.
-
Ohio6 minutes agoWant to pay Ohio BMV, courts with Bitcoin and other crypto? Now you can
-
Oklahoma12 minutes agoNBA: San Antonio Spurs 108-123 Oklahoma City Thunder –
-
Oregon18 minutes agoDavid Brock Smith wins GOP primary for US Senate in Oregon, will face incumbent Merkley
-
Pennsylvania24 minutes agoWestern Pennsylvania couples share their stories of marrying young
-
Rhode Island30 minutes agoRhode Island 18-year-old arrested in beach stabbing as hundreds of teens packed area
-
South-Carolina36 minutes ago
Chile’s MAGA-inspired border control
-
South Dakota42 minutes ago
SD Lottery Mega Millions, Millionaire for Life winning numbers for May 22, 2026
-
Tennessee48 minutes ago
TN Lottery Mega Millions, Cash 3 Morning winning numbers for May 22, 2026