Connect with us

Southwest

Arizona mom arrested for questioning local government in front of 10-year-old daughter fights back

Published

on

Arizona mom arrested for questioning local government in front of 10-year-old daughter fights back

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

An Arizona mother hauled out of a city council meeting in handcuffs in front of her 10-year-old daughter last month is suing the city of Surprise and its mayor for violating her First Amendment rights.

Rebekah Massie, 32, is an active participant in government meetings and had previously spoken out about zoning changes. On Aug. 20, she had complaints about the city attorney’s salary. 

Advertisement

Surprise Mayor Skip Hall cut her off minutes into her time on the podium, accusing her of “attacking the city attorney personally,” and told her that specifically criticizing any municipal employee or member of the council — regardless of whether it was by name — violated its policy, referring her to a note to that effect on the back of the council’s agenda.

FORMER DOCTOR ACCUSED OF ASSISTING NY WOMAN’S SUICIDE PLEADS GUILTY TO MANSLAUGHTER

Rebekah Massie, 32, is suing the city of Surprise, its mayor Skip Hall and one of its police officers for violating her First Amendment rights. (Christine Hillman Photography)

“I could get up here and I could swear at you for three straight minutes, and it is protected speech by the Supreme Court,” Massie shot back, as seen in video of the incident.

“Do you want to be escorted out of here? You’ve got to stop talking,” Hall told her.

Advertisement

Massie reiterated that the policy is unconstitutional, and in response, Hall called Surprise Police Officer Steven Shernicoff to escort her from the building. When Massie argued, telling the officer not to touch her, he placed her in handcuffs and removed her from the room. 

Massie’s attorney, Conor Fitzpatrick with the Foundation of Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), said the woman was detained for at least two hours, given a “pretty invasive pat down” and fingerprinted — an ordeal that violated her Fourth Amendment rights, according to the lawsuit.

HARVARD, COLUMBIA RANK LAST IN NONPROFIT’S 2025 COLLEGE FREE SPEECH SCORECARD

Rebekah Massie’s arms were placed behind her back as she was escorted out of the Surprise City Council meeting by Officer Steven Shernicoff. (Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression)

Her daughter did not come with her to police headquarters, Fitzpatrick said, and she was not told of her daughter’s whereabouts throughout the ordeal.

Advertisement

She was also charged with trespassing. The status of that charge is unclear. 

“Public officials are elected to serve the public, not silence them,” Fitzpatrick told Fox News Digital. “They might disagree with what the public has to say, there’s nothing in the law that says that they have to do whatever the public asks of them, but they do have to listen.”

FIRE, initially founded to file lawsuits against colleges and universities that stifled their students’ First Amendment rights, has also branched out to represent “mayors and chairs abusing their powers to silence and punish people who go to public meetings and say things they don’t like,” Fitzpatrick said, adding that these instances are “more common than they should be.”

SILICON VALLEY INVESTOR SAYS ELON MUSK SHOULD BE PROSECUTED FOR ‘UNDERMINING GOVT. THAT’S PAYING HIM’

Massie is suing Surprise, Arizona to remove its policy preventing residents from criticizing public officials at city council meetings. (Christine Hillman Photography)

Advertisement

In Michigan, the coalition took down Eastpointe’s former mayor Monique Owens after she repeatedly shouted down constituents who criticized her during public comment periods. Ultimately, the Detroit suburb agreed to stop enforcing their unconstitutional limitations on citizens’ free speech, passed a resolution apologizing to the plaintiffs in a lawsuit, paid each plaintiff over $17,000 and established Sept. 6 as the community’s “First Amendment Day,” according to FIRE and the Detroit Free Press.

But when speaking about Massie’s case, Fitzpatrick said FIRE has seen “nothing to this degree.”

The lawsuit names another Surprise resident, Quintus Schulzke, who regularly speaks out at council meetings. 

“The rule here affects people beyond Rebekah — people like Quintus who usually participate, they saw what happened to Rebekah. They see this rule that is being enforced to cast a pall… It leads people to self-censor, to say, ‘I’m not going to a city counsel meeting, I could leave in handcuffs,’” Fitzpatrick told Fox News Digital. 

 

Advertisement

“We’re showing the entire community of Surprise that the First Amendment needs to prevail at city council,” he continued. “A government cannot have a rule that says ‘in order to be heard, you must come to us with praise.’ That is not what the First Amendment is.

“Every American should know that they should feel free to go to their city council meetings and school board meetings and become involved,” Fitzpatrick said. “What happened to Rebekah isn’t OK, but the law is there to have her back. Every American that wants to get involved and participate in their government meetings, the First Amendment, will have their back, too.”

Hall did not respond to requests for comment on the impending lawsuit. Shernicoff could not immediately be reached for comment.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Los Angeles, Ca

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Published

on

Long Beach to hold new pride festival after previous one canceled

Long Beach will hold a pride festival this weekend after the one they originally had scheduled was canceled.

Long Beach city officials said the celebration was nixed after the nonprofit that organizes it, Long Beach Pride, failed to submit the required information for an event permit. 

It was supposed to start on Friday and last through Sunday.

“Despite continued collaboration and multiple deadline notices, the City did not receive the required documentation needed to complete safety reviews, inspect critical event infrastructure, such as the stage, electrical systems and tent, and emergency exiting plans to ensure compliance with public safety standards,” the city of Long Beach said in a statement. “With event programming scheduled to begin on May 15 at 5 p.m. with Teen Pride and essential information still outstanding, there is no longer sufficient time to safely permit the festival this year.” 

Advertisement

Officials noted that they were working to see if a “shortened event” could be held this weekend, and indeed, an agreement was reached to stage a one-day gathering on Sunday. 

Billed as “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” and emceed by comedian and drag queen Jewels, it will still bring the city’s LGBTQ community together after Sunday morning’s Long Beach Pride Parade, which was not canceled.

“Long Beach Pride weekend is a culmination of celebrations put on by our community, including our many vibrant restaurants, bars and businesses, and that will never change,” Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said in a press release issued late Saturday night. “Along with the Pride Parade, we are proud to join the party with this new event that reaffirms what this City has always stood for: that every person belongs here.”

“The festival may have been canceled, but Long Beach drag artists don’t cancel joy,” added Jewels Long Beach.

The one-day “Canceled? Never Heard of Her!” festival will take place at Bixby Park from noon to 7 p.m. Sunday. A free event, it will include music by several performers and a drag show. 

Advertisement

More information can be found here.  

Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

Published

on

L.A. Jewish institution among targets of foiled terrorist attack, U.S. officials say

A Jewish institution in Los Angeles was among the locations targeted in a recently foiled terrorism plot, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Jay Clayton announced this week.

The thwarted terrorist attacks were the result of the recent arrest of Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, an Iraqi national and senior member of Kata’ib Hizballah, U.S. officials said.

“Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, a commander for the terrorist organization, Kata’ib Hizballah, faces serious charges for his role in numerous attacks against U.S. interests across the globe, including his efforts to kill on U.S. soil,” Clayton said. “As alleged, for years, Al-Saadi committed himself to furthering the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the IRGC, two terrorist organizations dedicated to harming the United States and its allies.”

Al-Saadi recently attempted to carry out attacks in the U.S., officials said, including attacks at Jewish cultural places of interest in New York, Los Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz.

“Al-Saadi attempted to disrupt American society through intimidation and violence,” a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office reads. “… Those who engage in or support terrorism against Americans and on U.S. soil should take note:  the whole of the federal government is committed to dismantling terrorist organizations and bringing their members to justice.”

Advertisement

In a three-month period, Al-Saadi allegedly directed 18 terrorist attacks throughout Europe, including bombings, arson, and assaults targeting American citizens and points of interest. Prior to his arrest, national security officials say he was planning similar attacks on U.S. soil. Assistant Attorney General for National Security John A. Eisenberg said that  Al-Saadi “presented a serious threat to our national security.”

The European attacks included the bombing of the Bank of New York Mellon, an American bank, in Amsterdam on March 15. On April 29, two Jewish men, one of whom was a dual U.S.-British citizen, were stabbed and seriously injured in London.

In 2020, Al-Saadi took to social media, calling for others to attack and kill Americans in retribution for the deaths of Iranian military officer Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi military commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, U.S. officials said. In more recent months, Al-Saadi allegedly used social media to encourage the killing of Americans and Jews to further the terrorist goals of Kata’ib Hizballah and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“In or about February 2026, for example, AL-SAADI posted on one of his social media accounts a message in Arabic, which read in part, ‘Do not abandon the blood of your Imam of the time, oh Shiites of Iraq. Kill everyone who supports America and Israel. Do not leave any of them remaining. Civil and military targets, as well as voices of discord, kill them everywhere.’” U.S. officials said.

NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch confirmed that one of the U.S. targets was a Manhattan synagogue. On April 3, Al-Saadi allegedly spoke to an undercover law enforcement officer whom Al-Saadi believed could carry out attacks in the U.S. That same day, Al-Saadi allegedly texted the undercover officers photographs and maps showing the exact location of a prominent Jewish synagogue in New York City. 

Advertisement

Officials have not said what specific locations in L.A. and Arizona were targeted by the terrorist group.

Al-Saadi now faces numerous charges for these crimes in U.S. court. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.

The case is under investigation by the FBI’s New York Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is comprised of investigators and analysts from the FBI, the NYPD, the FBI Washington Field Office, Counterterrorism Division, and more than 50 other federal, state, and local agencies. Investigators also received help from the Department of Justice’s National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, the Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

Published

on

L.A. police shoot knife-wielding man during response to assault call 

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. 

According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers with the Hollenbeck Division responded to an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Glenn Avenue in Boyle Heights at 1:45 a.m. Saturday after callers reported a male suspect was armed with a knife and had just assaulted someone in the complex. 

Arriving officers found the suspect in front of the residence, but he did not comply with officers’ commands to drop the weapon. He then advanced toward the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred, LAPD confirmed.

A man armed with a knife was shot by L.A. police officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call overnight, authorities said. Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance. May 2026. (ANG)

“The suspect was struck by gunfire and remained non-compliant,” the LAPD Public Information Officer said on X early Saturday morning. “Officers deployed a 40mm foam round and ultimately took the suspect into custody.”

Video obtained by KTLA shows the man being loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital; officials said he was transported in stable condition, adding that his knife was recovered at the scene and booked as evidence. 

Advertisement

No officers or community members were injured during the incident. The man’s name was not released. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending