West Virginia
Arizona baseball drops midweek home game to West Virginia
It’s hard to defend free bases.
Arizona pitchers struck out 16 batters and only allowed five hits on Tuesday night, but they also issued 10 walks and hit two batters in a 7-4 loss to West Virginia at Hi Corbett Field.
“We gave them pretty much all seven runs,” UA coach Chip Hale said. “They did a good job of base running and putting some pressure on us, but the walks, the hit batsmen, the error, those things kill you.”
Arizona (9-19) fell to 0-9 this season when walking six or more batters. Last year, in reaching the College World Series, the Wildcats only walked six or more six times, and still won four of those games.
“It wasn’t like they they batted you around,” Hale said he told the five pitchers who threw Tuesday. “We just gave them those free ones, and then you advance them with some passed balls and some wild pitches, and that’s what winning teams take advantage of.”
Arizona led 2-0 on a 2-run home run by Carson McEntire, his team-leading 6th of the season, but West Virginia scored seven times over the next three innings with only the last two coming via a hit. The others scored on a wild pitch, fielding error, passed ball, hit batter and groundout.
Yet the UA also had some very good pitching. Jack Lafflam threw two scoreless innings to start, with one hit allowed and two strikeouts, but Hale said the true freshman “didn’t feel great” so he was pulled as a precautionary measure. Matthew Martinez struck out six over 2.1 scoreless innings and another true freshman, Benton Hickman, struck out four over the final two innings including two after loading the bases with one out in the 8th.
The Wildcats finished with seven hits, two by McEntire, who drove in three and is tied for the team lead with 19 RBI.
Arizona remains home to host ASU for three games beginning Thursday night. The finale on Saturday night is on ESPN2 but also happens to coincide with the Final Four.
“I would hope we can put some stuff on (the scoreboard) between innings,” Hale said.
West Virginia
Supreme Court’s Bunn remembers appearances before Copenhaver – WV MetroNews
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — State Supreme Court Chief Justice Haley Bunn appeared before U.S. District Judge John Copenhaver many times during her career as an assistant U.S. Attorney.
“I’ll remember the warm regard for how much care he took for practitioners, litigants, juries, he was so amazing with a jury, and just fond memories of the wonderful times I had in his courtroom,” Bunn said.
Copenhaver was remembered in a funeral service Wednesday morning in Charleston. He died last week at the age of 100.
Copenhaver was known for his detailed decisions. Bunn said during a recent appearance on MetroNews “Talkline” that thoroughness was a comfort to a prosecutor.
“His overturn rate was about two percent which is unprecedented over his decades on the bench,” Bunn said. “He covered every base. He made sure that every nook and cranny was addressed. It made you feel almost safe in front of him as a practitioner, you knew it was going to be right whatever the outcome.”
Copenhaver swore-in Bunn to her 12-year term on the Supreme Court on Dec. 30, 2024.
Copenhaver was appointed as a bankruptcy referee in 1958. President Gerald Ford nominated him to the federal bench in late August 1976, he was confirmed by the U.S. Senate five days later. His time on the bench was just short of 50 years. He took senior status in 2018 but still carried a full caseload.
Bunn said she’ll take several things from Copenhaver’s life and career.
“To take absolute pride in your work, to do your absolute very best with every case, every case is important and every person involved in those cases is important,” Bunn said. “But while you’re doing your job and taking pride in your work you’re also being gracious to people in front of you.”
West Virginia
This week in West Virginia history
West Virginia
America 250 celebration to be held at W.Va. Capitol Complex July 2-5
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WCHS) — State officials announced Tuesday the West Virginia Capitol Complex will hold a four-day celebration to mark America’s 250th anniversary.
The event will be held July 2-5 and include a Ferris wheel, inflatables, games, food vendors, live music and tours, according to a news release from Gov. Patrick Morrisey’s Office.
The release said a free shuttle will connect the celebration with the Charleston Sternwheel Regatta.
A light show inspired by the Washington Monument will be projected onto the State Capitol at the end of each evening, the news release said.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION (1)
For additional updates, click here or follow along on Facebook.
-
Los Angeles, Ca57 minutes agoSouthern California jeweler accused of stealing $1.5 million from customers through Rolex watch scam
-
Detroit, MI1 hour agoAir France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoCaltrans considering 140 mph bus that would take passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoDallas police seek two people of interest seen leaving Deep Ellum shooting that injured five
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoInter Miami nearing deal to bring in Brazilian star Casemiro to pair with Lionel Messi
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoBoston City Council deadlocks on push to reject Mayor Wu’s $4.9B budget
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoDenver weather: More rain to end the week
-
Seattle, WA2 hours agoSeattle leaders’ proposed one-year ban on data centers met with strong support
