Washington, D.C
25th High Plains Honor Flight takes veterans to Washington, D.C.
As High Plains Honor Flight went wheels up for its 25th expedition back to Washington, D.C., on Sunday morning, plenty of people on board knew exactly what to expect.
Honor Flight President Matt Voris said there are volunteers going on their 15th-plus trip. Voris himself said he has lost track of how many he’s been on.
But for the 120 veterans on board, the next 36 hours will be like almost nothing they’ve ever experienced.
“We find the magic of Honor Flight is when 120 of them are together, they start chatting. They’re in like company with people who have experienced the same kind of things they did,” Voris said. “And by the time we get back here, it’s like the weight of the world is lifted off of them.”
Voris said many veterans — specifically combat veterans — return home from serving and bury most of what they experienced deep down, not even wanting to talk about it with their closest family. He’s noticed with those who have taken an honor flight, something loosens up inside them.
“We’ve had many, many families tell us after their veteran gets home from a trip, ‘Uncle Jimmy never talked about anything while he was overseas. And now since he took the trip, we can’t get him to shut up.’ ” Voris said. “It’s an awesome thing.”
The veterans started their 36-hour trip Sunday morning with the Escort of Heroes, which took them from the McKee 4-H Building at The Ranch Events Complex to the Northern Colorado Regional Airport. Thirteen veterans who served in Korea, 106 who served in Vietnam and one who served in both flew to Baltimore, where they were scheduled to attend a banquet in their honor. They will wake up Monday morning and head to D.C. to visit the World War II Memorial, Iwo Jima Marine Memorial, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Air Force Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial and Korean War Memorial and fly back. All before bedtime.
“We keep busy,” Voris said.
This year’s trip — named in honor of the late Col. William R. Suhre, an Army veteran and Greeley resident who was awarded a Purple Heart, Bronze Star and Silver Star for his heroics in Vietnam — will be the first without any World War II veterans.
Along with the natural fight against time, that is in big part because the group has grown that much closer to fulfilling the original goal of founder Stan Cass.
Cass, a 29-year-old Army veteran, founded the organization in 2008 as Northern Colorado Honor Flight with the goal of giving every Northern Colorado World War II veteran an opportunity to see the then newly established World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. Voris took over in 2008, reviving the program and renaming it to High Plains Honor Flight.
“There are not very many World War II guys left from this area that have not previously been on one of our flights,” Voris said.
Before the trip officially kicked off, High Plains Honor Flight paid tribute to those who have passed since last year’s flight as well putting on a pair of musical performances at the McKee 4-H Building.

Local artist Fleeka performed her song, “Lovin A Hero,” about saying goodbye to a soldier about to deploy; and Richard Kerns, a veteran who went on an honor flight last year, performed his song, “Take to the Sky.”
The lyrics of the chorus — which he wrote on the flight back last year after being inspired by the journey — read:
“Take to the sky, with honor they fly, serve those who served, take them higher than high.”
Veterans, with honor, took to the sky Sunday morning. And after a busy day-and-a-half, they will take to the sky again Monday evening and return home, hopefully, feeling higher than high.
Washington, D.C
Family of man killed by DC police questions officer’s tactics
The family of a 25-year-old man who was shot and killed by a D.C. police officer last week is questioning the officer’s tactics and training after viewing the body camera video.
David Warren Childs, of Northeast D.C., was shot the night of Nov. 17 after police say he refused to obey the officer’s commands and appeared to reach for a firearm in his waistband. It happened near the Deanwood Metro station.
The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) says officers spotted Childs with a gun in his waistband and gave chase.
The body-worn camera video released by police this week doesn’t show the initial interaction. It begins in the middle of a foot pursuit that ended outside an apartment building on 47th Place NE.
It’s very hard to tell from the video, but the officer — who had Childs at gunpoint standing between a fence and the building — was without backup and alone for one minute and 23 seconds before the officer opened fire.
The video shows the moment the officer cornered Childs and said, “I’m gonna shoot you.”
“Why wasn’t the matter de-escalated?” Childs’ cousin Da’jon Mason asked. “If it’s the law enforcement’s job to de-escalate matters, why wasn’t the situation de-escalated? If you had 10 to 15 officers out here, why was there no other officer present to assist in the matter to de-escalate the situation? Why did you continue to escalate the situation, threatening to continuously shoot someone when they are telling you, ‘Don’t shoot me’?”
As soon as Childs was cornered near the fence line, the officer apparently got on the radio and said, “One at gunpoint” and “behind the building.”
“The officer used great restraint, gave multiple commands, multiple commands asking the subject to please, to raise his hands and not to reach for the firearm, and for some reason the subject did not obey those commands and reached for his firearm,” Executive Assistant Police Chief Andre Wright said.
It’s difficult to see on the video, but police say Childs moved his left hand toward his waistband and that’s when the officer opened fire.
After the shooting, other officers arrived and began to render first aid to Childs.
Police say this is the weapon Childs had in his waistband.
“The point where he was saying, ‘You know what, OK, if this is how it’s going to go, then do it,’ when we are the same amount of distance that we are now in this conversation, you could have taken him down,” Mason said. “You didn’t have to keep the gun pointed at him. You could have holstered your weapon and proceeded to take him down. You could have tased him. You could have used OC [pepper] spray.”
D.C. police declined to comment on the family’s concerns and referred News4 to the statement the police department made when the body camera video was released.
MPD said in a Nov. 18 news release in part: “The involved members have been placed on administrative leave, pursuant to MPD policy.”
The Internal Affairs Bureau’s Force Investigations Team is investigating the shooting, according to MPD.
“The United States Attorney’s Office will independently review the facts and evidence in the case,” MPD said.
Washington, D.C
Bellingham, WA man under investigation after D.C. shooting of 2 Guard members
BELLINGHAM, Wash. – The suspect accused of shooting two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., was identified as an Afghan national who lived in Bellingham, Washington.
What we know:
On Wednesday, the suspect, later identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, opened fire on two National Guard members just blocks away from the White House. The West Virginia service members, 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom and 24-year-old Air Force Staff Sergeant Andrew Wolfe, were both sworn in less than 24 hours before the attack.
National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom dies after Washington, D.C. shooting
On Thursday, President Trump revealed that Sarah Beckstrom had died. Wolfe remains in critical condition.
Washington, D.C. shooting suspect’s ties to the CIA
Dig deeper:
Authorities say Lakanwal entered the United States in September 2021 under humanitarian parole as part of the Biden administration’s Operation Allies Welcome in the aftermath of the country’s withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Lakanwal was part of a CIA-associated unit in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Officials say these units were highly trusted by the CIA and played crucial roles in operations against the Taliban.
From Wednesday night into Thanksgiving morning, the FBI and federal agents executed search warrants at his home in Bellingham, Washington, where he lived with his wife and five children. Investigators seized electronic devices including laptops, cellphones and iPads as the case expands into a coast-to-coast investigation.
“All the individuals found in that house have been interviewed, and some interviews remain ongoing,” said FBI Director Kash Patel. “We will not stop until we interview anyone and everyone associated with the subject, the house and every piece of his life.”
The Seattle FBI office says it is assisting the Washington office but declined to comment further.
Bellingham, WA officials respond to D.C. shooting suspect’s investigation
What they’re saying:
Bellingham’s police chief says the department immediately stepped in to support federal investigators.
“Our hearts are heavy for the two West Virginia National Guard members who were shot while on active duty yesterday in Washington D.C.,” said Bellingham Police Department Chief Rebecca Mertzig. “We stand with them, their loved ones, and all the National Guard members across the nation.
“Violence like this is horrific and unacceptable. As soon as I was notified of the situation, investigation and the possible connection to Bellingham, I called our local FBI partners to offer Bellingham Police Department’s assistance with their criminal investigation of this case. We are closely monitoring the situation for any updates.
“People who serve and protect our communities, like the two wounded West Virginia National Guard members, represent the best of what we strive for, and we honor their service, sacrifice, and courage.”
Bellingham Mayor Kim Lund also says the city is actively coordinating with investigators.
“It takes courage to say yes to the job of protecting fellow community members and protecting our country. We honor the courage of the two National Guard members who were wounded in service yesterday. There is no excuse for the heinous, violent attack they suffered.
“We are holding them and their loved ones in our hearts today, wishing them a full return to health.
“As mayor of Bellingham, I am directing local resources to be ready to support the FBI’s investigation. We share the resolve to see justice and accountability for this violent attack.
“The terrible actions committed in Washington, D.C. yesterday are the actions of one person, not a community. They don’t represent Bellingham’s values. They don’t reflect the values of either Washington. They don’t represent what makes our communities great.”
FOX 13 Reporter Alejandra Guzman spoke to some neighbors living near the suspect’s home.
“It’s less than 50 feet away from my apartment, so it kind of scares me,” said Bill Beveridge. “Who knows what can actually happen after this.”
Big picture view:
The shooting came a week after a federal judge ordered an end to the National Guard deployment in the Washington, D.C., area. President Trump has since ordered 500 additional National Guard members to the capital.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Joseph B. Edlow has directed a full-scale, rigorous reexamination of every green card issued to immigrants from countries of concern at the direction of President Trump.
The Afghan American Cultural Association, a nonprofit, non-political community-based organization registered in Washington state, released the following statement:
“We are deeply saddened and outraged by the tragic incident in Washington, D.C., where an Afghan national shot two National Guard service members. As an organization representing Afghan Americans across Washington State, we strongly and unequivocally condemn this heinous and cowardly act. There is no justification for violence against those who protect and serve our communities.
Our thoughts, prayers, and unwavering support are with the injured National Guard troops and their families. We stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them during this difficult moment and pray for their full and speedy recovery.
At the same time, we must be clear: one person’s actions do not define an entire community. Afghan Americans have built lives here grounded in safety, hard work, and service. Many of us came to the United States precisely because we fled war, extremism, and instability. We left everything behind to pursue a future rooted in peace, dignity, and opportunity.
We remain fully committed to the safety, unity, and progress of the United States, the nation that welcomed us and gave us a chance to rebuild. Afghan Americans are teachers, soldiers, doctors, business owners, neighbors, and taxpayers who contribute to the growth and resilience of this great country every single day.
We stand for peace. We stand for accountability. We stand with America.”
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
The Source: Information in this story came from original reporting by FOX 13 Seattle, reporting by FOX News Digital, the Associated Press and officials in Bellingham, Washington.
MORE NEWS FROM FOX 13 SEATTLE
Thanksgiving holiday travel underway at SEA Airport, could be record-setting travel season nationwide
WA dirt biker falls down cliff during photograph, airlifted to Tacoma hospital
Person killed after falling onto barge in Duwamish River in Seattle
Pierce County, WA mom credits heart monitor for helping save her life from rare condition
Who is Katie Wilson? A look at Seattle’s next mayor
‘Speechless’: Tacoma, WA aid group braces for SNAP surge as requirements tighten
How to watch Seattle Mariners games in 2026 after ROOT sports shuts down
To get the best local news, weather and sports in Seattle for free, sign up for the daily FOX Seattle Newsletter.
Download the free FOX LOCAL app for mobile in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for live Seattle news, top stories, weather updates and more local and national news.
Washington, D.C
Suspect in Washington DC national guard shooting had ties to CIA, agency confirms
The suspected shooter of two national guard members in Washington DC on Wednesday worked with CIA-backed military units during the US war in Afghanistan, the agency has confirmed.
The alleged gunman, identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, came to the US in September 2021 under an Operation Allies Welcome program that gave some Afghans who had worked for the US government entry visas to the US.
Lakanwal’s ties to the Central Intelligence Agency, which worked alongside US special forces in Afghanistan, were confirmed by the CIA director, John Ratcliffe, to media outlets on Wednesday evening.
The New York Times reported that the shooting suspect had worked for several US government agencies in Afghanistan, including a CIA-backed unit in the southern province of Kandahar, a stronghold of the Taliban.
“The Biden administration justified bringing the alleged shooter to the United States in September 2021 due to his prior work with the US government, including CIA,” Ratcliffe told Fox News digital, adding that Lakanwal’s involvement with the agency was “as a member of a partner force in Kandahar, which ended shortly following the chaotic evacuation”.
US Citizenship and Immigration Services said after the shooting that it has stopped processing residency applications from Afghan nationals.
“Effective immediately, processing of all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals is stopped indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,” the agency said on social media.
Following the shooting, Donald Trump ordered 500 additional national guard troops to Washington. The president described the shooting as an “act of terror” and called immigration “the single greatest national security threat facing our nation”.
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Ohio3 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Northeast1 week agoCamelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera