Connect with us

Texas

North Texas suburb will stay in region’s largest public transit system for now

Published

on

North Texas suburb will stay in region’s largest public transit system for now


Leaders in a North Texas suburb have decided to call off the election to potentially withdraw from Dallas Area Rapid Transit — the region’s largest public transit system — after reaching a deal with the agency.

On Monday, the Plano City Council voted unanimously to cancel the May 2 election that would have let voters decide to stay in or leave DART.

Plano Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Rick Horne reminded residents at the meeting that the city’s effort was about improving the agency.

“What we have is good, it’s not perfect, but it’s a starting point,” Horne said.

Advertisement

The council also voted to repeal an earlier resolution supporting capping DART’s tax revenue collections.

The decision follows months of negotiations between DART and several member cities that have pushed for changes in DART’s funding and governance. Plano is one of six cities that called withdrawal elections that would end bus and train service within their city limits.

As part of the new deal, DART will give $360 million back to all of its member cities over six years. It also plans to restructure its board of directors so each city has a representative, expanding the board and reducing voting power for the city of Dallas. Plano City Council members passed a resolution Monday expressing support for the reform and “requesting state legislative action to implement a new governance structure.”

DART CEO Nadine Lee has told KERA the agency will need to finding other revenue streams to keep operations running. The Regional Transportation Council earlier this month approves a plan to help DART pay another $75 million to cities.

There’s nobody who wants to improve services more than more than DART and we will endeavor to do that,” Lee said. “If we can do that in partnership with the cities and if the cities are working with us in good faith we think that can be accomplished.”

Advertisement

As part of the deal, Plano leaders agreed to cease legislative efforts to defund DART. The city will receive more than $61 million over the next several years.

“I understand we’re not getting everything we want, I understand our riders want additional things, but one step at a time,” said Mayor Pro Tem Maria Tu.

Several Plano residents and transit advocates showed up to the meeting in support of DART. Embher Chaffin, who founded the advocacy group Keep DART in Plano, told the council that she’s thankful DART and Plano reached a deal, but hopes the city will appoint a representative on the board who knows the system.

“The board at DART should include someone who rides regularly,” Chaffin said. “With Plano being one of the most diverse cities in Texas, we should utilize that strength.”

Not all DART riders agreed with the new plan. Some say it lacks transparency and could negatively impact the passenger experience.

Advertisement

“There’s one member of this compromise that is still missing and that’s us, the riders,” Alex Flores told council members. “The [deal] does give you guys an additional responsibility… the funds you receive can be used for transit related projects.”

The council also approved an alternative micro-transit service that it had already allocated money for called “Plano Rides.” The service will be run by Via, a rideshare company that operates in other North Texas cities such as Arlington and Irving.

Some residents say they opposed the new service, calling it “duplicative.”

At least three other cities are considering calling off DART withdrawal elections. Addison and Farmers Branch will review the new DART deal tomorrow. Irving plans to address it on Thursday.

Pablo Arauz Peña is KERA’s growth and infrastructure reporter. Got a tip? Email Pablo at parauzpena@kera.org.

Advertisement



Source link

Texas

Scattered storms, flooding risk, cooler temperatures in store for North Texas into Memorial Day week

Published

on

Scattered storms, flooding risk, cooler temperatures in store for North Texas into Memorial Day week


North Texas weather is a mixed bag Thursday. Some neighborhoods saw soaking rain while others stayed dry with sunshine. Scattered storms continue west of DFW with isolated flooding possible, but the Memorial Day weekend is not expected to be a washout.



Source link

Continue Reading

Texas

Storm cleanup continues after Central Texas thunderstorms topple trees, damage roads

Published

on

Storm cleanup continues after Central Texas thunderstorms topple trees, damage roads


Severe thunderstorms that moved through Central Texas Tuesday night left behind downed trees, power outages, and damage across parts of the area.

Scenes from the storms showed powerful winds, heavy rain, and frequent lightning moving through the region.

In Georgetown, damage could be seen at a gas station where Chalmer Williams took shelter as the storm moved through.

“If you see the video, the cashier who was in front of me was trying to signal people to come inside,” Williams said. “Luckily, she lets me in, and in my mind I’m thinking ‘man, maybe this isn’t just a thunderstorm,’” he said.

Advertisement

As conditions worsened, Williams said he became more concerned about what was happening outside.

“Especially when the roof of the gas station started to come off, I’m like ‘man, maybe I’m in the middle of a tornado and don’t even know it,’” Williams said.

Meteorologists say the storms were strong, but also fairly well predicted.

“The storm moved into the Austin area and the I-35 corridor right at 9 o’clock, and that was basically what time the model suggested would happen,” said Troy Kimmel, an incident response meteorologist.

RELATED| Severe thunderstorms cause widespread power outages, downed trees across Central Texas

Advertisement

KEYE

The storms quickly caused problems across the area.

Off Barton Springs Road in Austin, a man was critically injured after a tree fell on him outside Green Mesquite BBQ. The restaurant was closed on Wednesday.

Advertisement

At one point, more than 5,400 Austin Energy customers were without power. Most people have since had their power restored.

Kimmel said straight-line winds can sometimes cause more widespread damage than people realize.

“The straight lines wind do what? They spread out, and they can cause more damage over a wider area. It can affect utilities, bring down trees, and, of course, the power lines over a wider area,” Kimmel said.

On Berry Creek Drive, the ground underneath part of the roadway was washed away, creating additional traffic issues tied to the weather.

With more rain chances in the forecast this week, meteorologists are urging Central Texans to stay weather aware.

Advertisement

For Williams, the experience was a reminder that safety comes first during severe weather.

“There’s going to be hardships, and sometimes we just want to fight through it like I was on I-35,” Williams said. “The best answer is to seek refuge, to seek safety, to seek comfort, and then when it’s time, get back out there and fight.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Texas

Fifth person dies following multi-vehicle crash in Sabine Pass, according to Texas DPS

Published

on

Fifth person dies following multi-vehicle crash in Sabine Pass, according to Texas DPS


JEFFERSON COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — A fifth person has died after a deadly wrong-way crash involving multiple vehicles in Sabine Pass, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Troopers said 22-year-old Caleb Burge, who was rushed to a Beaumont hospital after the accident on Monday afternoon, succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday.

ORIGINAL REPORT: 4 killed in multi-vehicle crash in Sabine Pass, according to Department of Public Safety

Four other people were declared dead at the scene immediately following the wreck, including 28-year-old Cesar Rojas, 27-year-old Emmanuel Reynosa Rivas, 28-year-old Angel Dominguez, and 27-year-old Osvaldo Alvarez.

Advertisement

At least seven others were taken to area hospitals after the crash involving a Chevy van, Prevost bus and Audi sedan. Investigators said the van crossed into the oncoming lane and crashed into the bus. After the impact, the van went into a ditch, and the Audi hit the rear of the bus, investigators said.

Troopers did not release additional details, and the crash is still under investigation.

Copyright © 2026 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending