Connect with us

South-Carolina

Alice Munro's daughter alleges mother stayed with her abusive stepfather

Published

on

Alice Munro's daughter alleges mother stayed with her abusive stepfather


The daughter of renowned Canadian author Alice Munro has revealed that she suffered sexual abuse at the hands of her stepfather and that her mother, a Nobel Prize winner, turned a blind eye to it.

In an op-ed published Sunday in the Toronto Star, Andrea Skinner wrote that Munro’s husband at the time, Gerald Fremlin, started abusing her in 1976 when she was 9 years old.

She wrote that she was visiting her mother that summer at her home in Clinton, Ontario, when, while Munro was away, Fremlin “climbed into the bed where I was sleeping and sexually assaulted me.”

Munro died earlier this summer at the age of 92. The author was best known for her short stories, often placing her characters in rural Ontario — where Munro grew up. She was called the “master of the contemporary short story” by the Swedish Academy that awarded her the Nobel in 2013.

Advertisement

Since Skinner’s op-ed was published, the literary world has expressed shock and sorrow, with authors publicly grappling with the formative work of Munro with the impact of her daughter’s allegations.

Rebecca Makai, a Pulitzer Price finalist for The Great Believers, posted on X of Munro and the allegations, “I love her work so much that I don’t want to lose it, but am also horrified to see the meanings of many favorite (foundational, to me) stories shift under us.”

Skinner said she is coming forward now because she wants her story “to become part of the stories people tell about my mother. I never wanted to see another interview, biography or event that didn’t wrestle with the reality of what had happened to me, and with the fact that my mother, confronted with the truth of what had happened, chose to stay with, and protect, my abuser.”

Jonathan Nackstrand / AFP via Getty Images

Advertisement

/

AFP via Getty Images

The Swedish Academy, which awarded Munro a Nobel Prize in 2013, called her a “master of the contemporary short story.”

Skinner said the abuse continued for years, with Fremlin often exposing himself to Skinner, telling the young girl about her mother’s sexual needs and the “little girls in the neighborhood” that he told her he liked.

Skinner confided in her stepmother, who told James Munro, Skinner’s father. James Munro did not confront his ex-wife about the abuse, and the assault continued with no adult intervention, Skinner wrote.

The abuse, and the heavy secret and silence she was forced to keep, took a drastic toll on Skinner, who developed debilitating migraines and bulimia as an adult. When she was 25, she wrote a letter to Munro, finally coming forward about the abuse.

Advertisement

Munro told her she felt betrayed and likened the abuse to an affair, a response that devastated Skinner, she wrote.

In response, Fremlin wrote letters to Munro and the family, threatening to kill Skinner if she ever went to the police. He blamed Skinner for the abuse and described her as a child as a “home wrecker.” He also threatened to expose photos he took of Skinner when she was a girl.

Munro went back to Fremlin and stayed with him until he died in 2013, Skinner wrote. Munro allegedly said “that she had been ‘told too late,’ she loved him too much, and that our misogynistic culture was to blame if I expected her to deny her own needs, sacrifice for her children, and make up for the failings of men. She was adamant that whatever had happened was between me and my stepfather. It had nothing to do with her,” Skinner wrote in her essay.

Skinner said she never reconciled with her mother, but has since rebuilt a relationship with her siblings.

Munro’s Books, the company that Alice and James Munro started together when they were married, issued a statement of support for Skinner. The company has been independently owned since 2014 and wasn’t speaking on behalf of the family.

Advertisement

The company said, “Learning the details of Andrea’s experience has been heartbreaking for all of us here at Munro’s Books. Along with so many readers and writers, we will need time to absorb this news and the impact it may have on the legacy of Alice Munro, whose work and ties to the store we have previously celebrated. It is important to respect Andrea’s choices over how her story is shared more widely.”

The statement continued, “This story is Andrea’s to tell, and we will not be commenting further at this time.”

Copyright 2024 NPR





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

South-Carolina

South Carolina Recruiting – Offensive Overview and Update on 2025 Class

Published

on

South Carolina Recruiting – Offensive Overview and Update on 2025 Class


Under head coach Shane Beamer at South Carolina, there’s on ething the Gamecocks have consistently been able to do, and that’s recruit. The 2023 and 2024 signing classes are the highest rated pair of classes that South Carolina has had since recruiting rankings have become a thing. Beamer-Ball has been known for special teams… however, if you pay attention, it’s based in attempting to recruit at an extremely high level.

The 2025 recruiting class however appears to be lagging a bit behind the Beamer standard. In July with less than five months until signing day, the Gamecocks have (19) commits and have seen a pretty impactful de-commitment from CB, Shamari Earls. Let’s take a look at where things stand offensively.

Quarterback
Some might have thought the Gamecocks would punt on the 2025 recruiting class at the position with 2026 QB Landon Duckworth having been a pledge. Though with his de-commitment, they acted quickly in 2025 with the addition of in-state target Cutter Woods. He’s big, physical, and competitive. He’s a fit.

Running Back
The Gamecocks don’t currently have a running back commit in the class. In fact, of the 19 they’ve offered in this 2025 recruiting class, all but three have already announced their college commitment. It could be a year in which they just don’t take a player at the spot.

Advertisement

Wide Receiver/Tight End
WR, Lex Cyrus is currently the highest rated commit in the class at the receiver position and despite that room having had three position coaches since January, they’ve managed to recruit the spot well. Cyrus, Brian Rowe, and Jayden Sellers could be argued as the strong point of this class to date. Potentially adding a prospect like WR Malik Clark who’s set to make his collegiate announcement July 25th. TE, Preston Douglas had one SEC offer upon committing to South Carolina.

Offensive Line
It’s been no secret, the Gamecocks need help up front and they need it yesterday. The 2025 class is attempting to help fill some holes. OT, Shedrick Sarratt Jr. chose the Gamecocks over Colorado and Purdue. Unfortunately for the Gamecocks, he’s the only offensive line pledge in the class.

2025 South Carolina Commits:

You Might Also Like:

Join the community:

You can follow us for future coverage by clicking “Follow” on the top right-hand corner of the page. Also, be sure to follow us on X at @GamecocksDigest and on Facebook!

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Former South Carolina baseball star sets an all-time team record

Published

on

Former South Carolina baseball star sets an all-time team record


Rumors swirled this winter that South Carolina baseball legend Jackie Bradley, Jr. was retiring from professional baseball. The rumors were strong enough that national writer John Heyman even reported that the outfield was “expected to retire.” The 2010 and 2011 College World Series champion denied the rumors and has been working to get back into Major League Baseball since then.

Though he hasn’t been on an MLB roster this summer, Bradley, Jr. has been playing with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League, and he has been performing extremely well.

With the Ducks, Bradley, Jr. is hitting for an impressive slash line of .389/.464/.726/1.190. He has smacked 12 home runs, 13 doubles, and 2 triples while driving in 33 RBI and scoring 34 runs, and he has played a good center field for Long Island.

On Friday, though, the former Gamecock made history. Beginning on May 9th, Bradley, Jr. began a hitting streak, and on July 19th, that hit streak grew to 26 games with a home run over the right field wall. That marks a new all-time record for the Long Island Ducks (besting the 26-game hit streak from Mel Stocker in 2006), and it is the 8th-longest hit streak in the history of the Atlantic League. He is one away from being tied for the 4th-longest streak ever, and he is nearing the top mark.

Advertisement

Jose Ruiz (2013) and Chris Ashby (2008) are tied at the top of the all-time leaderboard as both players managed 31-game hit streaks in their Atlantic League careers.

The next rung on the ladder for Jackie Bradley, Jr. will be climbable on Saturday as the Long Island Ducks play against the Hagerstown Flying Boxcars. If the hit streak continues, he will have the chance to tie the record next Thursday and surpass it next Friday.

Bradley, Jr. is just under the 10-year threshold in his Major League Baseball career, but perhaps his strong showing in the Atlantic League can help him catch on one more time to get him past that mark.

South Carolina Baseball: Gamecock pitcher signed by Yankees. dark. Next. South Carolina Baseball: Gamecock pitcher signed by Yankees



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Two 4-star South Carolina football targets announce commitments to rival programs

Published

on

Two 4-star South Carolina football targets announce commitments to rival programs


South Carolina football is starting the most crucial stretch of days on the 2024 recruiting calendar. The Gamecocks have at least 9 recruiting targets making their college decisions public between July 20th and August 3rd, and Shane Beamer and his coaching staff are in a good position to land a few of them.

On Saturday, the first two of these targets made their public commitments as 4-star EDGE Bryce Davis (Greensboro, North Carolina) and 4-star offensive lineman Cortez Smith (Lilburn, Georgia) revealed their pledges.

Davis, who was deciding among a top-4 of the South Carolina Gamecocks, Georgia Bulldogs, Duke Blue Devils, and Clemson Tigers, committed to Dabo Swinney’s program. While Georgia was viewed by many as the favorite for much of Davis’ recruitment, South Carolina, Clemson, and Duke made big pushes in recent weeks, and the Tigers emerged to land the talented defensive lineman.

Smith, though, had a little bit more straightforward recruitment. With finalists of the South Carolina Gamecocks, Georgia Bulldogs, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, and Miami Hurricanes, Smith has been considered a heavy lean to the in-state Bulldogs for some time. Carolina gave him something to think about, but Saturday’s commitment came through for Georgia, nonetheless.

Advertisement

Coming soon, major South Carolina football targets like Lagonza Hayward (4-star safety), Jared Smith (5-star EDGE), Juan Gaston (4-star offensive lineman), Jaylen Gilchrist (4-star offensive lineman), Kendall Daniels (4-star safety), and Malik Clark (4-star wide receiver) are among the other high school recruits who are considering the Gamecocks and announcing their decisions soon. In each battle, USC is up against at least one perennial power, but reading the recruiting tea leaves, it seems likely that Carolina will earn commitments from at least a couple of these prospects.

The South Carolina football coaching staff have their program ranked 26th (On3) and 28th (247Sports) in the primary team recruiting rankings. Those rankings could rocket upward over the next couple of weeks if things go well for the Gamecocks.

South Carolina Football: What EA Sports thinks about the 2024 Gamecocks. dark. Next. South Carolina Football: What EA Sports thinks about the 2024 Gamecocks



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending