Connect with us

Miami, FL

Screams ring out as paramedics try in vain to save Miami girl, 2, whose throat was cut ‘by her father,’ horrific new doorbell camera footage shows

Published

on

Screams ring out as paramedics try in vain to save Miami girl, 2, whose throat was cut ‘by her father,’ horrific new doorbell camera footage shows


Bloodcurdling screams erupted as paramedics rushed to save a toddler after her father allegedly cut her throat and left her to die.

Jerónimo Duran is charged with the first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse of his two-year-old daughter, Melody Alana Rose Duran.

Cameras at a neighbor’s house caught Duran taking the little girl into his home in Pembroke Pines, south of Miami, on Tuesday morning, the footage obtained by NBC6 shows.

Duran, 33, left the house at 7:08 am to pick Melody up from her mother Mona Rosita Clarke’s house and returned at 7:24 am.

Advertisement

Jerónimo Duran is accused of murdering his two-year-old daughter, Melody Alana Rose Duran. They are pictured with the girl’s mother, Mona Rosita Clarke

Anguished screaming could be heard on footage from a neighbor's cameras coming from the house as paramedics arrived and rushed Melody to hospital

Anguished screaming could be heard on footage from a neighbor’s cameras coming from the house as paramedics arrived and rushed Melody to hospital

The accused killer father got out of the car and slowly wandered around to the other side, seemingly distracted and lost in thought.

Melody’s grandmother Hilda Carballo arrived at 9:32 am in her gray SUV and walked inside the house to what she said was a distressing scene.

Carballo allegedly saw Duran ‘on top of’ Melody and ‘noticed that the child did not appear to be breathing,’ police said.

She called 911 in a panic, saying ‘an ambulance is what I need, fast.’

‘I will send the ambulance, but I need to know what’s going on,’ one dispatcher replied.

Advertisement

‘I think the girl is unconscious. I don’t know what is going on. The girl is pale and not reacting,’ the grandmother said in Spanish. 

Another radioed paramedics to ‘advise she’s pale and not reacting.’

When Duran arrived home with Melody, he got out of the car and slowly wandered around to the other side, seemingly distracted and lost in thought

When Duran arrived home with Melody, he got out of the car and slowly wandered around to the other side, seemingly distracted and lost in thought

Melody's grandmother Hilda Carballo arrived at 9:32 am in her gray SUV and walked inside the house to what she said was a distressing scene

Melody’s grandmother Hilda Carballo arrived at 9:32 am in her gray SUV and walked inside the house to what she said was a distressing scene

The neighbor’s cameras filmed a black Mercedes sedan quickly pulling up to the house at 9:44 am and Jorge Carballo, Duran’s stepfather, sprinting to the door.

He gave Melody CPR while he and Hilda Carballo waited for the ambulance to arrive about three minutes later.

Anguished screaming could be heard on the footage coming from the house.

Advertisement

Police and paramedics found Melody’s throat slashed and rushed her to hospital, but she did not survive.

Officers found a bloodied knife nearby and arrested Duran.

‘Detectives were able to establish probable cause to charge him with first-degree murder,’ Pembroke Pines Police Sergeant Jason Palant said.

The neighbor's cameras filmed a black Mercedes sedan quickly pulling up to the house at 9:44 am and Jorge Carballo, Duran's stepfather, sprinting to the door

The neighbor’s cameras filmed a black Mercedes sedan quickly pulling up to the house at 9:44 am and Jorge Carballo, Duran’s stepfather, sprinting to the door

By May last year, Clarke had filed a motion for full custody of Melody that detailed Duran's frightening mental breakdown. She asked for supervised visits for Duran, but the court let have him unsupervised visits - and he allegedly killed her during one

By May last year, Clarke had filed a motion for full custody of Melody that detailed Duran’s frightening mental breakdown. She asked for supervised visits for Duran, but the court let have him unsupervised visits – and he allegedly killed her during one

‘He was questioned by detectives, he spoke with detectives, and through his statement, it helped establish probable cause for his arrest. 

‘However, we don’t have a motive at this time.’

Advertisement

Duran and Clarke were together for about 10 years before they separated last year.

Clarke captioned their first photo together on April 21, 2014, ‘He is the reason for my happiness. I love my lion.’

Other photos show them dancing a costume party dressed as a banana and a fairytale princess, and celebrating Clarke’s pregnancy in 2021.

Melody was born in November 2021, and the couple appeared overjoyed to become parents for the first time.

The couple were together 10 years. Clarke captioned this first photo of them together on April 21, 2014, 'He is the reason for my happiness. I love my lion.'

The couple were together 10 years. Clarke captioned this first photo of them together on April 21, 2014, ‘He is the reason for my happiness. I love my lion.’

Melody was born in November 2021, and the couple appeared overjoyed to become parents for the first time

Melody was born in November 2021, and the couple appeared overjoyed to become parents for the first time

But by May last year, Clarke had filed a motion for full custody of Melody that detailed Duran’s frightening mental breakdown.

Advertisement

‘The father suffers from mental illness… paranoia and anger issues (punching the wall),’ it read.

‘He also suffers from anxiety and… his behavior is erratic, aggressive, violent and dangerous to the mother and the minor child. 

‘The father has abused the family dog (punched it in the face)… the father has suicidal ideations and has a history of hearing voice to end his life.’

The document Duran ‘chased the mother into a bedroom with the child in her arms and punched a fan’.

Clarke’s motion also claimed he ‘abused the family dog, punching it in the face’.

Advertisement
Duran was charged with the first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse

Duran was charged with the first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse

Police block off the scene in Pembroke Pines, south of Miami

Police block off the scene in Pembroke Pines, south of Miami

She asked that Duran have a psychological evaluation as he was ‘hearing voices to end his life, some while the child was with him alone.’

Clarke wanted Duran to take an eight-week parenting course and for a guardian ad litem to be appointed by the court for Melody to help with supervised visits.

However, the court in March granted Duran unsupervised visits, and he allegedly killed her during one of them on Tuesday.

Duran faced court on Thursday, wearing a protective vest to precent self-harm, where he was ordered to be held without bail at the Broward County Jail.

 Palant said Duran could face additional charges as the investigation progresses.

Advertisement



Source link

Miami, FL

Miami Heat’s Bam Adebayo wins NBA’s Social Justice Champion award for his work helping underserved communities

Published

on

Miami Heat’s Bam Adebayo wins NBA’s Social Justice Champion award for his work helping underserved communities


Bam Adebayo knows what it’s like to grow up with very little. He’s determined to help kids who are facing similar predicaments.

And the NBA has noticed his work.

The Miami Heat star — who had an 83-point game this season, the second highest-scoring game in NBA history — was honored Friday night with the league’s Social Justice Champion award. Adebayo will receive the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Trophy, and the NBA will make a $100,000 charitable donation on his behalf.

“It’s not something I look to do or want to do for attention,” Adebayo said Friday night in a video conference. “It’s something I do because I really want to help people. I’ve always said this: I never had anybody in my community that would come in and make impact. And my mom’s always been one of those people who’s always giving back, so I’m just carrying that torch.”

Advertisement

The award, the NBA said, “honors a current NBA player for pursuing social justice and … for advancing Abdul-Jabbar’s life mission to engage, empower and drive equality for individuals and groups who have been historically disadvantaged.”

Bam Adebayo’s foundation has raised thousands for underserved communities 

The Bam Adebayo Foundation invested more than $563,000 across 18 initiatives this season, all promoting either educational equity, food security or youth development in underserved communities across South Florida and his native North Carolina.

Among the highlights of his work:

— He provided mattresses, uniforms and school supplies for students at The SEED School of Miami.

— Funded transportation for more than 19,000 students to attend the Miami Book Fair.

Advertisement

— Addressed food insecurity through holiday meal distributions.

— Hosted a holiday toy drive serving more than 2,000 children, and the leftover toys — which covered the playing court at the Heat’s home Kaseya Center — were then shared with other organizations.

— Supported youth development programs.

— Renovated a basketball court at Camillus House Homeless Shelter.

The other finalists for the award this season were San Antonio’s Harrison Barnes, Boston’s Jaylen Brown, Detroit’s Tobias Harris and Cleveland’s Larry Nance Jr.

Advertisement

Adebayo is the sixth recipient, joining Jrue Holiday (2025), Karl-Anthony Towns (2024), Stephen Curry (2023), Reggie Bullock (2022) and Carmelo Anthony (2021).

“I’m the first one in Heat history to get it,” said Adebayo, Miami’s captain. “It feels good to be the first at something in franchise history — but it just shows the work that I put into the community.”

The award was decided by a committee that includes Abdul-Jabbar, Tatum, Realize The Dream co-founders Martin Luther King III and Arndrea Waters King, GirlTREK Co-Founder and President Vanessa Garrison, National Museum of African American History & Culture Acting Director Shanita Brackett, Civic Nation CEO Kyle Lierman, NBA President of Social Responsibility & Player Programs Kathy Behrens, National Basketball Players Association Foundation Executive Director Erika Swilley and youth representative Cayden Daughtry from the Jr. NBA and Jr. WNBA Court of Leaders.

___

AP NBA: https://apnews.com/nba

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Miami, FL

Fecal bacteria risk at South Florida beach prompts health warning ahead of busy Memorial Day weekend

Published

on

Fecal bacteria risk at South Florida beach prompts health warning ahead of busy Memorial Day weekend


It’s going to be a hot and humid Memorial Day weekend across South Florida, but bacteria indicating the possibility of fecal pollution found at a popular Miami-Dade beach prompted a warning from officials to stay out of the water.

Advertisement

The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County released a statement and said the water quality at Crandon Park North in Key Biscayne doesn’t meet the recreational water quality criteria for Enterococcus bacteria, which could indicate fecal pollution.

According to the statement, the tests were completed on Thursday and the bacteria level exceeded the level that has been established by state guidelines.

“DOH-Miami-Dade advises against any water-related activities at this location due to an increased risk of illness in swimmers,” the statement read.

The advisory will remain in place until the bacterial levels fall below the accepted health level.

What is Enterococcus bacteria?

According to the Florida Department of Health, Enterococci are enteric bacteria that normal inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals.

Advertisement

The presence of enteric bacteria “can be an indication of fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage.”

In addition, if they are present in high concentrations in recreational waters and ingested or enter through the skin through a cut or sore, they may cause disease, infections or rashes, according to the department.

Current samples taken at Crandon Park South and Crandon Park North – Key Biscayne are both poor, meaning 70.5 or greater Enterococcus per 100 milliliters of marine water were discovered in the samples.

Check out the current samples by clicking here.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Miami, FL

Sister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami

Published

on

Sister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami


The sister of a high-ranking Cuban official is now in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody after she was arrested in Miami on Thursday, the latest move in an escalating pressure campaign against Cuba’s ruling party and its leaders.

A photo released by ICE Homeland Security Investigations shows Adys Lastres Morera being taken away in Miami, with HSI calling her “a deportable lawful permanent resident whose presence poses a threat to the United States and undermines American foreign policy interests.”

Her sister, Ania Guillermina Lastres Morera, is the executive president of GAESA, a business conglomerate operated by the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces.

“They have a private military company named Gaesa who’s sitting on $18 billion of assets, and not a penny of that transfers over to the state budget. Not a penny of that goes over to help the people of Cuba. Not one cent,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.

Advertisement

Gaesa is a business conglomerate operated by the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces, and it’s even more powerful than the island’s communist party.

GAESA controls hotels, gas stations, supermarkets, currency exchange, marinas, real estate and many more entities on the island.

U.S. officials estimate that GAESA, which is a private company, controls 40% or more of Cuba’s economy.

“GAESA wields such immense power that the Cuban government, the government led by Miguel Díaz-Canel, Manuel Marrero, and others, must ask GAESA for the resources needed to manage the country. And GAESA provides them if it so chooses,” said investigative journalist Mario Penton of Marti Noticias, who focuses on covering Cuba.

In March, Marti Noticias published a report detailing Adys Lastres Morera’s alleged association with investment companies.

Advertisement

“Something that strikes us as particularly noteworthy is that Adys Lastres Morera arrived in the United States in 2023, having been petitioned by her son, U.S. citizen Ernesto Carvajal Lastres,” Penton said. “And immediately thereafter, her name appeared associated as a manager at Santa Elena Investments and Remas Investments, companies dedicated to real estate investments in Florida.”

Penton said shortly after his report became public, everything related to those real estate investment companies was wiped from the internet.

Rubio said he terminated Adys Lastres Morera’s permanent resident status, posting to X, “There will be nowhere on this earth, much less in our country – where foreign nationals who threaten our national security can live lavishly.”

Adys Lastres Morera’s son said over the phone Thursday that he’s in crisis mode, trying to figure out where his mom is and why she was detained.

“I am not entirely clear on how Marco Rubio can have the authority to revoke residency without going through a court process,” he said.

Advertisement

Adys Lastres Morera’s son said he’s a U.S. citizen and has been living in the U.S. for 12 years. He’s currently looking for an attorney who can take his mother’s case.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending