Kentucky
Kentucky Derby preview: Picks for Saturday as well as the sport’s future – WTOP News
While the 152nd running of the Kentucky Derby kicks off horse racing’s Triple Crown on Saturday, next month’s Preakness will be special for multiple reasons.
While the 152nd running of the Kentucky Derby kicks off horse racing’s Triple Crown on Saturday, this month’s Preakness Stakes will be special for multiple reasons.
First, the race will be held at Laurel Park due to Pimlico Race Course renovations. Second, this might be the last time the Preakness will be held on the third Saturday of May.
Sports Business Journal reported April 13 that the race could be moved back one week to allow for horses to recover fully from their Derby run, something that kept Sovereignty out of the Preakness last May and thus eliminating any Triple Crown talk before it even had a chance to begin.
The current format of three races in five weeks has been in place for over half a century.
“Basically etched in stone in 1969, and that was in an era when horses would run every two weeks with no issue,” said Barry Abrams, host of “The Far Turn” on the EQUUS TV Network. “But that’s not how it’s done any more. More time between races is absolutely what every trainer wants, and two weeks from the Derby to the Preakness is an anachronism. And the next media rights-holder is going to put an end to that.”
NBC has broadcast the race since 2002 and its contract ends this year. The network (which also airs the Derby) is still in the mix, as is FOX (which broadcasts the Belmont Stakes). But don’t discount ABC/ESPN, the network that aired the Preakness from 1977 to 2001.
The date isn’t the only wind of change surrounding the Preakness. Churchill Downs Incorporated said it has entered into an agreement to acquire the intellectual property for the Preakness Stakes and Black-Eyed Susan Stakes. Churchill Downs Incorporated previously purchased Calder Race Course in Miami and Arlington International Racecourse in Illinois before shuttering both tracks.
Abrams told WTOP not to expect anything in the near future, but he wouldn’t be surprised if 20 years from now the Preakness is moved to a track Churchill Downs owns in, say, Richmond, Virginia.
But let’s refocus on this year’s races.
Renegade is the favorite this year at 5-1 odds (as of Thursday morning), but they’ll be starting from the No. 1 post position — a spot that hasn’t yielded a Derby winner since Ferdinand in 1986.
“It’s obviously not good. When you have a field of 20, which is the only race in North America that has a field that large, when you go from the rail, you really run the risk of being boxed in by the field up against the fence,” Abrams said. “If anybody can figure out a way to work a trip out for him it’s Irad Ortiz Jr., but he’s got to balance between using enough energy to make sure he doesn’t get swarmed but saving enough energy for the end of the race.”
Legendary trainer Bob Baffert has seen six of his horses take the Derby, including Triple Crown winners American Pharaoh in 2015 and Justify in 2018. This year he has two, and Potente has drawn significant attention at around 26-1 odds.
“I think this horse has a real chance to win. His numbers have gotten better every time, he’s won after being up near the early lead and he’s won while being not near the early lead,” Abrams said. “The problem is because he’s going from the 14 in so much traffic, he just may not get the right trip. He may get bounced around.”
Also getting Barry’s eye are the horses starting from the No. 8 and 9 posts, So Happy (6-1) and The Puma (7-1).
“The Puma has danced a lot of dances and is very consistent,” Abrams said. “He won the Tampa Bay Derby and was competitive in his other starts in Florida against really good horses like Commandment.”
Meanwhile, So Happy gives hope to those who subscribe to the “bounce” pattern of a thoroughbred.
“This horse won the Santa Anita Derby going away, while the race before that, he didn’t run well. And two starts before, he did,” Abrams said. “Has he gotten that bounce out of the way and therefore is sitting on a big race?”
Regardless of which horse finishes first, the winning pick remains a straw boater hat, madras jacket, white pants and blue Sperry shoes for men, and a fascinator for the women — plus plenty of sunscreen.
Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.
© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.
Kentucky
Six Kentucky hospitals to receive portion of $105 million in FEMA funds
FRANKFORT, Ky. (WKYT) – Gov. Andy Beshear announced today that Kentucky has secured $105 million in FEMA disaster funds for six hospitals.
The awards are for expenses incurred during the COVID-19 pandemic from January 2020 to May 11, 2023.
The hospitals include:
- AdventHealth Manchester
- Appalachian Regional Healthcare
- Baptist Health
- Pikeville Medical Center
- T.J. Samson Community Hospital (Glasgow)
- UofL Health
- Kentucky Emergency Management
The governor said the funding is much needed years later.
“What our hospitals did during the pandemic is nothing short of heroic, and my administration worked hard to make sure the reimbursements they were owed under the president’s emergency declaration were delivered,” Beshear said. “While this funding is being received years later, it couldn’t come at a better time, as our hospitals face challenges due to federal Medicaid cuts. This $105 million will make a difference for these hospitals and the Kentucky families who depend on them, which is why today’s news is so great.”
Sentiments echoed by the commonwealth’s emergency management director.
“Our first responders and hospitals went to great lengths to protect the lives of Kentuckians during the pandemic, and I am grateful that we were able to secure this funding and provide the reimbursements these hospitals and our team deserve,” said Eric Gibson. “We are processing the funds as quickly as possible so teams can put those dollars to good use as they continue to care for and protect people across our commonwealth.”
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
Kentucky
Chase Lumpkin planning visit to Kentucky Basketball
Kentucky Basketball head coach Mark Pope and his staff have been busy on the recruiting trail during the Memphis Nike EYBL session, and now the Wildcats are beginning to line up official visits with top prospects.
According to Jacob Polacheck of KSR, class of 2027 4-star shooting guard Chase Lumpkin is planning to visit Kentucky in the near future as his recruitment continues to take off nationally.
Lumpkin, a 6-foot-4, 170-pound guard from Powder Springs, Georgia, has quickly become one of the hottest names in the 2027 recruiting class following a strong recent stretch of play on the EYBL circuit. He currently holds nearly 20 scholarship offers, including Kentucky, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Indiana, Louisville, and several others, with more programs expected to enter the mix soon.
Kentucky officially offered Lumpkin in late April after new assistant coach Mo Williams visited his school. However, the Wildcats had already been building a relationship with the talented guard since last summer. Lumpkin also made two visits to Lexington during the 2025-26 season.
“They showed a lot of belief in me,” Lumpkin tells Polacheck of KSR. “They watched me last session and, of course, were here today. It’s just showing that I can come in and make an impact as a freshman. Hopefully, I can do that one day.”
Lumpkin added that his recruitment remains open and other schools still have time to make a push as his stock continues to rise nationally.
Kentucky
KSP investigating fatal collision in Eastern Kentucky
GREENUP COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) – Kentucky State Police are investigating a deadly collision that took place Wednesday.
State police said at 9:25 p.m., troopers responded to reports of a two-vehicle collision at Industrial Parkway and County Road 1630 in Greenup County.
The preliminary investigation revealed that a vehicle driven by 21-year-old Abigail Miller of Vanceburg crossed the center line and struck an oncoming vehicle head-on.
Miller was pronounced dead at the scene by the Greenup County Coroner.
The individuals in the other vehicle were transported to the hospital for treatment of their injuries.
The investigation into the collision is ongoing.
Copyright 2026 WKYT. All rights reserved.
-
Entertainment1 minute ago
‘Housewives’ star Erika Girardi settles $25-million lawsuit over money from husband’s firm
-
Lifestyle7 minutes agoThe BoF Podcast | Leena Nair and Matthieu Blazy on Creativity and the Power of the Human Hand
-
Politics13 minutes ago‘A bridge too far?’: As GOP senators revolt, Trump defends fund and attacks defectors
-
Science19 minutes agoCaltech could lose control of JPL for the first time
-
Sports25 minutes agoCity Section baseball finals: Friday scores, Saturday schedule
-
World37 minutes ago
China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews
-
News1 hour agoGarden Grove gas leak: Live evacuation maps, closures and updates
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours agoFirefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California