Connect with us

Austin, TX

Charges against 2 Uvalde school officers are still leaving families frustrated

Published

on

Charges against 2 Uvalde school officers are still leaving families frustrated


AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Two indictments against former Uvalde, Texas, schools police officers are the first charges brought against law enforcement for the botched response that saw hundreds of officers wait more than an hour to confront an 18-year-old gunman who killed 19 fourth-grade students and two teachers at Robb Elementary.


What You Need To Know

  • Former Uvalde schools police Chief Pete Arredondo and former Officer Adrian Gonzales were indicted on June 26 by a Uvalde County grand jury on multiple counts of child endangerment and abandonment over their actions and failure to immediately confront the shooter
  • Several families wonder why more officers have not been charged for waiting to go into the classroom, where some victims lay dying or begging for assistance, to help bring a quicker end to one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history
  • Uvalde County District Attorney Christina Mitchell has not said if any other officers will be charged or if the grand jury’s work is done

For some Uvalde families, who have spent the last two years demanding police accountability, the indictments brought a mix of relief and frustration. Several wonder why more officers have not been charged for waiting to go into the classroom, where some victims lay dying or begging for assistance, to help bring a quicker end to one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history.

Former Uvalde schools police Chief Pete Arredondo and former Officer Adrian Gonzales were indicted on June 26 by a Uvalde County grand jury on multiple counts of child endangerment and abandonment over their actions and failure to immediately confront the shooter. They were among the first of nearly 400 federal, state and local officers who converged on the school that day.

“I want every single person who was in the hallway charged for failure to protect the most innocent,” said Velma Duran, whose sister Irma Garcia was one of the teachers killed. “My sister put her body in front of those children to protect them, something they could have done. They had the means and the tools to do it. My sister had her body.”

Uvalde County District Attorney Christina Mitchell has not said if any other officers will be charged or if the grand jury’s work is done.

Advertisement

Here are some things to know about the criminal investigation into the police response:

The shooting

The gunman stormed into the school on May 24, 2022, and killed his victims in two classrooms.

More than 370 officers responded but waited more than 70 minutes to confront the shooter, even as he could be heard firing an AR-15-style rifle.

Terrified students inside the classrooms called 911 as agonized parents begged for intervention by officers, some of whom could hear shots being fired while they stood in a hallway. A tactical team of officers eventually went into the classroom and killed the shooter.

Scathing state and federal investigative reports on the police response have catalogued “cascading failures” in training, communication, leadership and technology problems.

Advertisement

The charges

The indictment against Arredondo, who was the on-site commander at the shooting, accused the chief of delaying the police response despite hearing shots fired and being notified that injured children were in the classrooms and a teacher had been shot.

Arredondo called for a SWAT team, ordered the initial responding officers to leave the building and attempted to negotiate with the 18-year-old gunman, the indictment said. The grand jury said it considered his actions criminal negligence.

Gonzales was accused of abandoning his training and not confronting the shooter, even after hearing gunshots as he stood in a hallway.

All the charges are state jail felonies that carry up to two years in jail if convicted.

Arredondo said in a 2022 interview with the Texas Tribune that he tried to “eliminate any threats, and protect the students and staff.” Gonzalez’s lawyer on Friday called the charges “unprecedented in the state of Texas” and said the officer believes he did not break any laws or school district policy.

Advertisement

The first U.S. law enforcement officer ever tried for allegedly failing to act during an on-campus shooting was a campus sheriff’s deputy in Florida who didn’t go into the classroom building and confront the perpetrator of the 2018 Parkland massacre. The deputy, who was fired, was acquitted of felony neglect last year. A lawsuit by the victims’ families and survivors is pending.

The lawsuits

The families are pursing accountability from authorities in other state and federal courts. Several have filed multiple civil lawsuits.

Two days before the two-year anniversary of the shooting, the families of 19 victims filed a $500 million lawsuit against nearly 100 state police officers who were part of the botched response. The lawsuit accuses the troopers of not following their active shooter training and not confronting the shooter. The highest ranking Department of Public Safety official named as a defendant is South Texas Regional Director Victor Escalon.

The same families also reached a $2 million settlement with the city under which city leaders promised higher standards for hiring and training local police.

On May 24, a group of families sued Meta Platforms, which owns Instagram, and the maker of the video game Call of Duty over claims the companies bear responsibility for the weapons used by the teenage gunman.

Advertisement

They also filed another lawsuit against gun maker Daniel Defense, which made the AR-style rifle used by the gunman.



Source link

Austin, TX

Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry reignites excitement among fans tailgating for game

Published

on

Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry reignites excitement among fans tailgating for game


The excitement around the Texas vs. Texas A&M game returned to the 40 acres this weekend. After students camped outside the stadium to secure prime seats, the tailgate lots were full up with Longhorns and Aggies fans alike.

“Go Horns!” exclaimed Darrick Price from UT Tailgaters, celebrating the reunion with “little brother.” Laura McWha, a Texas A&M fan, added, “WHOOP!!” as Aggies traveled from College Station for the game.

Price noted, “It feels amazing. We’re so happy that little brother’s back in town.” The rivalry, restored last year, has friends and family rooting against each other in what is the biggest home game for Texas this year. “I have a senior now who’s considering which school he wants to go to, and I just think it means everything for this city,” Price said.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE| Longhorns vs. Aggies tickets soar as fans prepare for epic showdown

Advertisement

McWha expressed confidence, saying, “We’ve been doing great this season….We’re gonna show what we’ve got.”

This was about as fiery as the smack talk got today as fans enjoyed communing with their frenemies in the lots.

Lanece Marley, another A&M fan, shared, “I think it’s wonderful. We love coming. We love celebrating with these guys.”

Hannah Morgan, an Austin-native and Aggie grad, reflected on her divided household, saying, “Oh yes I know what it means. It means everything to us.” With a father and brother who went to UT-Austin, Morgan says she successfully converted her mother over to rooting for the Aggies. Morgan also anticipated the game, stating, “I think it’s going to be really sweet to get revenge… to beat them at home would be a big deal for us.”

Texas won last year’s matchup in College Station, which was the first meeting between the two schools since 2011.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Austin, TX

Texas A&M Corps of Cadets carrying the Lone Star Showdown game ball to Austin

Published

on

Texas A&M Corps of Cadets carrying the Lone Star Showdown game ball to Austin


COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) – Football is a big tradition on Thanksgiving Day, and while the Aggies didn’t play, the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets were helping the team get ready by going on a journey to Austin.

Around 80 members of the corps gathered at a lot near Kyle Field at 7:30 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, where they would begin a 100-mile relay-style event. Broken up into teams, they’ll run to the Corps’ march staging area in Austin, escorted by police, with the plan to be there by 11 a.m.

From there, they will march in with the fightin’ Texas Aggie Band to finish the delivery.

“The goal of this is to be able to inspire the next generation of Aggies and to be able to encourage the entire campus. The entire Aggie network is brought together because we, as the Corps, were inspiring and helping our Aggie team, the football team, as they get ready to take on Texas,” said Carson Seiber, a member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets and event coordinator.

Advertisement

Seiber said since he was a freshman who learned A&M would be playing Texas in Austin his senior year, it was his dream to bring back the tradition that he said started over two decades ago.

“I had this dream, and I kind of talked to people, and now that it’s my senior year, I really had an idea about why not bring the tradition back, why not kind of leave a mark, leave a legacy on the Corp and Texas A&M that hasn’t really happened in a long time,” Seiber said.

The plan really finalized itself about a week ago, but was pitched two months ago. He said what really separates Texas A&M University from every other school is its core values.

“I think it’s been really cool to see the fact that when the Aggies are successful, we see our Aggies support each other, but also in times when are Aggies have not been good at football or tragedies like bonefire, our Aggies are there in victory or defeat,” Seiber said.

The Aggies will take on the Texas Longhorns tomorrow at 6:30 p.m.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Austin, TX

Taylor residents sue to halt proposed data center

Published

on

Taylor residents sue to halt proposed data center


TAYLOR, Texas — A proposed data center in Central Texas is getting a lot of pushback from residents. Approximately 40 minutes north of Austin, a group of neighbors in the city of Taylor sued the data center. They are pushing back against the data center that could soon be under construction roughly 500 feet from their neighborhood.

“This property is supposed to be deeded for parkland,” said Pamela Griffin, a resident in the neighborhood next to where the data center will be built. “This land was given to this community.”

The 87-acre land near Griffin’s community is embroiled in a legal battle between her and Blueprint Data Centers.

“We do not need a data center,” Griffin said. “I’m not against them, but we don’t need them in our community.”

Advertisement

Despite Griffin’s land deed lawsuit, a Texas judge has ruled in favor of the proposed project.

“When a judge dismisses a lawsuit because the plaintiff or the plaintiffs lack standing, what the judge means is you’re not a person who has the legal authority to bring this lawsuit,” said Mike Golden, a law professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

Griffin and other neighbors argue the data center will take away natural resources like water and what was supposed to be the future site of a park, so her fight is not over.

“We are going to the appellate court now,” Griffin said. “We did file.”

Griffin is passionate about advocating for the community because it’s the neighborhood she was born and raised in. Her grandmother bought property there in the early 1960s, and the community became a safe haven for Black people in Taylor.

Advertisement

“We weren’t allowed to be in the city limits at that time because they would not sell to the Black and brown community, so my grandmother realized they had to buy land outside,” she said.

She worries about the future of her small community now that construction of a 135,000-square-foot data center will begin within the next year.

It’s a project the city says will bring millions in revenue to Taylor.

“What data centers do to a community is it brings an influx of new revenue to all the taxing entities, including the city, the county and especially the school district,” said Ben White, the president and CEO of the Taylor Economic Development Corporation.

He explained how the revenue might benefit the city.

Advertisement

“City council will have the ultimate say on how those revenues are spent, but it could involve new parks for citizens, improve streets for the citizens, improve programs for the citizens,” he said. “There’ll be a lot of variety of different uses of those funds the council could decide to use them on.”

White also addressed the controversy surrounding the deed when asked about it by Spectrum News.

“We feel comfortable that EDC, we did everything correctly on our side,” he said.

Griffin now awaits the Third Court of Appeals to decide on her case.

“I’m asking for the community and the Taylor people to stick together and understand my fight against this data center coming into our community,” Griffin said.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending