Atlanta, GA
Rich Homie Quan, Fixture of Atlanta’s Rap Scene, Dies at 34
Rich Homie Quan, an Atlanta rapper known for singles like “Flex (Ooh, Ooh, Ooh)” and “Type of Way,” has died. He was 34.
Quan’s death was confirmed to the Daily Beast on Thursday by a spokesperson for the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office. A cause was not immediately shared, with an autopsy set to be performed on Friday.
According to TMZ, which first reported Quan’s death, the rapper was found in his Atlanta home on Thursday. The tabloid reported that his girlfriend discovered his body and called 911, telling the dispatcher that Quan was not breathing and did not have a heartbeat.
Speculation about Quan’s death proliferated across social media earlier on Thursday after the rapper Boosie Badazz seemed to reference it in a series of tweets, saying he’d heard Quan had “JUST OD,” or overdosed.
“Never go forget yo smile n the way talked n of course yo music,” Boosie added in another tweet.
Rich Homie Quan performs at the inaugural 2024 Gazebo Festival at Waterfront Park on May 25, 2024 in Louisville, Kentucky.
Sarah Anne Cohen/WireImage via Getty Images
Born in 1989, Quan found his groove as a lyrical, melodic rapper with a distinctive trap sound within the lush Atlanta rap scene of the 2010s.
He broke through in 2013 with ‘Type of Way,’ and found his greatest success as a member of Rich Gang, a spin-off project from Cash Money Records that saw him team up with fellow Atlantan Young Thug on the popular 2014 track ‘Lifestyle.’
His relationship with Thug, real name Jeffrey Lamar Williams, eventually appeared to fracture behind the scenes. Quan continued to insist there was no beef between the two, however, and called for Thug’s release after his 2022 arrest on gang-related charges.
Rich Homie Quan performs onstage at The Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre on September 01, 2023 in Detroit, Michigan.
Aaron J. Thornton/Getty Images
When Thug’s trial kicked off last November, his defense team ‘Lifestyle’ aloud for the court in an effort to demonstrate his artistry.
Quan’s name came up during proceedings this week, when Thugger, as he’s known, laughed off a direct question about him from a witness on the stand.
Colleagues, collaborators, and friends rushed to pay tribute to the rapper on Thursday.
“Dam lil brother, we just spoke about shooting a video,” Atlanta rapper 2 Chainz said on Instagram. “Special prayer for you and your family, and pray for any and everybody that’s dealing with something. My condolences bru.”
“Rest in Peace my brother Rich Homie Quan,” Jacquees said on X. “I love you for Life. #Richgang.”
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta World Cup Ebola restrictions: Congo soccer team to isolate in Belgium
Atlanta World Cup match faces Ebola safety protocols
The Democratic Republic of Congo soccer team is isolating in a training bubble ahead of its tournament match in Atlanta as international authorities implement strict 21-day travel bans and airport screenings to contain an Ebola outbreak, according to officials.
ATLANTA – The Democratic Republic of Congo national soccer team is coordinating with FIFA and U.S. officials to travel safely to its upcoming World Cup matches amid strict federal travel restrictions prompted by an Ebola outbreak.
World Cup health protocols
What we know:
The Democratic Republic of Congo soccer team has canceled its public send-off event due to an ongoing Ebola outbreak in the country. The virus, which was first discovered in the northern region of the nation in 1976, has sickened more than 700 people and caused over 170 deaths during the current surge.
To bypass strict entry rules, the squad is currently training in Belgium and staying isolated inside a strict health bubble. Because team members are already in Europe and will not return to their home country before the tournament, health experts believe they can safely travel to the U.S.
FIFA announced it is actively monitoring the situation and communicating with the Congo DR Football Association to ensure all security and medical guidelines are strictly followed.
Outbreak travel restrictions
What we don’t know:
Neither federal officials nor the DRC Embassy have clarified exactly how many fans from the region were planning to travel to the U.S. or how many will be blocked by the strict border controls.
American screening procedures
Local perspective:
The team will initially arrive in Houston to train ahead of its first game on June 17, followed by a highly anticipated match in Atlanta on Saturday, June 27 versus Uzbekistan. Any non-citizen who has been inside the democratic republic of Congo within the last 21 days is expected to be denied entry into the U.S.
For Americans returning home from visiting the affected area, federal guidelines require them to fly specifically through Dulles International Airport in Washington to undergo rigorous medical screenings which include temperature checks and a detailed questionnaire.
Expert medical insights
What they’re saying:
Medical experts emphasize that the strict 21-day timeline is a proven window for tracking the virus. “Most of the time when someone is exposed, you rarely ever see the infection express itself beyond 21 days,” said Dr. Barney Graham at the Morehouse School of Medicine, who conducted some of the very first Ebola vaccine trials roughly 23 years ago. Graham noted that the virus requires close contact and does not transmit easily like COVID-19, adding, “Overall, I think people should feel very safe at the soccer matches.”
During a Friday news conference, the CDC reemphasized its layered health strategy. Capt. Satish Pillai, MD, of the CDC explained the federal response “is part of an overall, broader, layered public health approach, starting with exit screening, airline illness reports.” Pillai went on to say there will be subsequent decisions “based on the types of activities and where they were in transit, before any discussion, and of course, coordination with the ministries, with FIFA, and across the US government.”
The Source: The information in this story was gathered from a CDC news conference, medical statements from the Morehouse School of Medicine, and an official tournament briefing from FIFA.
Atlanta, GA
‘Atlanta Stadium’ ready with FIFA-standard pitch ahead of World Cup
With eight matches upcoming, Mercedes-Benz Stadium sod will get strict maintenance.
The newly installed playing surface for the FIFA World Cup is watered at the stadium in Atlanta on May 21, 2026. The pitch is Kentucky bluegrass mixed with perennial ryegrass with artificial fibers stitched in. It came from a turf farm in Colorado. (Arvin Temkar/AJC)
By Jaide Timm-Garcia – For the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
2 hours ago
Atlanta Stadium — as Mercedes-Benz Stadium will be known during the World Cup — has undergone its final makeover to become compliant with FIFA stadium standards after FIFA-approved grass was installed this week.
The rollout of the natural playing surface began last Friday and took four days to complete, according to Atlanta Stadium pitch venue manager Stuart Wilson.
htiw skeew eunev eerht eht eht eht naht ecafrus ,dos .ssargeyr decrofnier gniyalp hctip lainnerep gninepo no fo won wen larutan erom hctam edam morf .srebif serutaef debircsed ssargeulb dnelb neewteb erofeb sa laicifitra dna dna a a nosliW edreV niapS ykcutneK tsuJ enuJ epaC ,51
sraey erehw rednu ot sevirht eht eht eht eht eht gnitset erutarepmet .thgilnus s’muidats dias stluser ,hcraeser etacilper nalp .hctip fo fo tneirtun wen larutan derotinom sthgil sthgil roodni ni noitatnemelpmi worg worg ssarg rof ,ytilicaf ,tnemnorivne ylevitceffe deliated slortnoc emoc ylluferac ta dna dna retfa a a ,nosliW eessenneT eH gnidroccA sraey dekrow htiw ot eht eht ,taht .secafrus dedrager enitsirp gniyalp eno fo tsom gnol tsal dedulcni ni ni emoh eh evif ta sa dlroW s’nosliW muidatS .rataQ htroN ,nodnoL AFIF setarimE puC erofeB s’lanesrA
s’erehT“ m’I“ noitcart ot s’ereht eht taht ,gnitset ,gnitset gnitset erus .dias ”,ecalp tuo fo ,gnirotinom erutsiom ekam ”.ecnanetniam tol slevel ni ssenmrif gniyrrac tub era osla a nosliW
siht tniop .ytilibayalp niam si rof nrecnoc ta nosliW ehT
gnihctaW“ — ,nrut noitcart ot esoht yeht yeht eht eht eht eht eht s’taht .ytilibats dias ytefas sreyalp reyalp ”,hctip ,hctip no no evom gnirotinom sehctam woh woh ll’eh eh enif erusne gnirud sliated eb era dna dna
htiw lliw eht gnikat ylelos devreser secitcarp ecalp hctip ro on sehctam ni detsoh .semag rof thgie evititepmoc neewteb erofeb eb ehT ,atnaltA gniyalp“ lliw nehw egasu dnuoranrut thgit eht eht eht smaet ecafrus lanifimes dias stneserp sehctam si eh puorg evif tsrif ”tnellecxe gnirud tnedifnoc ,egnellahc tub eb .evirra a nosliW ehT
htiw lliw seunev esu esu ,frut ot eht eht taht yraropmet secafrus .sdradnats smuidats ytefas deriuqer sehctip ecnamrofrep yllamron larutan teem snoitallatsni gnidulcni tsoh ssarg rof ta laicifitra dna dna lla ssorca dlroW ,.S.U ocixeM s’AFIF AFIF ,puC adanaC llA 6202 61
htiw saw desu frut ot eht eht yliraropmet ecafrus ecnis decalper gniyalp gninepo larutan yal ti noitallatsni ni ni sah krowdnuorg ssarg rof tub laicifitra muidatS zneB-sedecreM ,yraunaJ detaluger-AFIF ,7102
retaw ot eht eht ,ygolonhcet ,metsys ecafrus ria-bus etaluger tfar gniyalp hctip ,erutsiom si evorpmi levarg lluf morf .wolf gnirutaef ward eganiard dengised yawa dna dna ria a a htaenrednU
lliw emit eht eht eht eht taht os dias deriuqer gnicuder fo dewom sretemillim ti si thgieh thgieh ssarg yllaudarg semag ,yliad yb ,nigeb eb ta nosliW s’AFIF 32 s’tI“ lliw siht .dias ytterp hctip fo ton hcum ,gnirotinom deniatniam tol roodni ni gniworg ssarg yreve .tnemnorivne ysae ”,yad yad tub eb na lla a nosliW s’erehT
lliw litnu ereht eht eht eht eht ekat muidats deraperp ecalp gninepo no enon on wen .hctam hctam tsal ,noitallatsni ni emoh sah ssarg emag rof swerc noititepmoc neeb sa dna dna tsniaga ,drawretfa dlroW s’detinU detinU deifinU s’maeT ecniS yaM .A.L yxalaG puC s’atnaltA atnaltA atnaltA 9
Atlanta, GA
Video shows person of interest in deadly Atlanta shooting, police say
Atlanta shooting clip shows person of interest
Atlanta police released surveillance video of a person of interest after 37-year-old Joseph Williams was found fatally shot inside a crashed vehicle Monday night, according to police.
ATLANTA – New video released by the Atlanta Police Department shows a person of interest in the deadly shooting along Joseph E. Boone Boulevard NW earlier this week.
What we know:
It happened at 7:41 p.m. Monday in the 900 block of Joseph E. Boone Boulevard NW. According to the Atlanta Police Department, officers found a man in a car that had been involved in a single-vehicle accident about 0.5 miles east of the location.
The man, later identified as 37-year-old Joseph Williams, had been shot. He was rushed to an area hospital in critical condition, where he died.
What we don’t know:
The identity of the person of interest shown in the released video remains unknown.
Investigators have not yet determined the motive behind the shooting.
Additionally, police have not disclosed whether any suspects have been identified or if a weapon has been recovered.
What you can do:
Anyone with information about whom the person of interest in the video may be or who may have information about the shooting should call the Atlanta Police Department’s Homicide Unit directly at 404-546-4235 or submit an anonymous tip to Crime Stoppers.
The Source: The information in this story was gathered from the Atlanta Police Department, who explained how we got it by releasing surveillance video and investigative details, as well as Crime Stoppers.
-
Pittsburg, PA2 minutes agoReporter Confused By Pittsburgh’s Quarterback Plan: ‘Hamster Wheel’
-
Augusta, GA8 minutes agoBroad Street construction causes lane closures in downtown Augusta
-
Washington, D.C15 minutes agoInside Crypto’s Washington Command Center—and Blitz for Legitimacy
-
Cleveland, OH21 minutes agoFamily releases statement after off-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting of 26-year-old
-
Austin, TX26 minutes agoThe 8 Best Tex-Mex Restaurants In Austin – Chowhound
-
Alabama33 minutes agoAlabama’s Jocelyn Briski shuts out LSU with 11 strikeouts in super regional win
-
Alaska38 minutes ago
Airlines are absorbing up to 50% of surging jet fuel costs. Alaska is still betting on premium international flights
-
Arizona44 minutes agoArizona Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 results for May 22, 2026