Connect with us

Politics

Kamala Harris 'ready to serve' as Democrats sound the alarm about Biden's age: report

Published

on

Kamala Harris 'ready to serve' as Democrats sound the alarm about Biden's age: report

Vice President Kamala Harris says she is “ready to serve” as concerns over President Biden’s age and mental fitness continue to grow, notably among members of their own party.

Harris made the statement during a a recent interview last week before the Thursday release of Special Counsel Robert Hur’s report on Biden’s mishandling of classified documents, which described the president’s memory as having “significant limitations.”

“I am ready to serve. There’s no question about that,” Harris told The Wall Street Journal, adding that everyone who observes her work “walks away fully aware of my capacity to lead.”

BIDEN CONSIDERED RESIGNING VICE PRESIDENCY ‘IN PROTEST’ OVER OBAMA’S AFGHANISTAN POLICY: HUR REPORT

President Biden and Vice President Harris. (Getty Images)

Advertisement

Hur’s report recommended no charges against Biden over his actions pertaining to the mishandling of classified documents, partly because he would have a defense at trial as a “sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory.”

Republicans piled on Biden following the Hur report’s release last week, but Democrats have also begun voicing — or at least admitting — greater concern surrounding Biden’s age and whether that could hurt his chances at winning re-election this year.

Former President Bill Clinton’s lead strategist, James Carville, argued Saturday that the White House has little confidence in Biden after he turned down a Super Bowl Sunday interview.

TREASURY CONFIRMS TERMS LIKE ‘MAGA,’ TRUMP,’ KAMALA,’ ‘BIDEN’ USED IN PRIVATE BANK TRANSACTION SEARCHES

James Carville

Democrat strategist James Carville. (Getty Images)

“It’s the biggest television audience, not even close, and you get a chance to do a 20-25-minute interview on that day,” Carville said. “And you don’t do it? That’s a kind of sign that the staff, or yourself, doesn’t have much confidence in you. There’s no other way to read this.”

Advertisement

Another former Clinton strategist, Paul Begala, said Hur’s indictment of Biden’s memory and Biden’s subsequent response was “terrible for Democrats.”

“Oh yeah. Look, I’m a Biden supporter, and I slept like a baby last night: I woke up every two hours crying and wet the bed,” Begala quipped on CNN last Friday. “This is terrible for Democrats. And anybody with a functioning brain knows that,” he declared. 

GOP CAMPAIGN ARM LAUNCHES MEDIA BLITZ AGAINST DEMS WHO OPPOSED VIOLENT CRIME BILL AS CRISIS IN DC SPIRALS

Hillary Clinton concedes 2016 election

Then-Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton makes a concession speech after being defeated by Donald Trump in New York on November 9, 2016.  (JEWEL SAMAD/AFP via Getty Images)

Also ahead of the Hur report’s release, former Secretary of State and 2016 Democrat presidential nominee Hillary Clinton admitted Biden’s age was “a legitimate issue.”

 

Advertisement

Fox News’ Sarah Rumpf-Whitten contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Politics

Teen charged in 2023 break-in of Secret Service SUV parked outside Naomi Biden’s DC home

Published

on

Teen charged in 2023 break-in of Secret Service SUV parked outside Naomi Biden’s DC home

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email, you are agreeing to Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

An arrest has been made in connection with the break-in of a Secret Service vehicle parked outside of Naomi Biden’s home in Washington, D.C., in November 2023.

Robert Kemp, 19, was taken into custody on Feb. 7 following an investigation into the Nov. 12 incident outside the home occupied by President Biden’s granddaughter in the Georgetown area, according to court documents initially obtained by FOX 5 DC on Wednesday. He was released on Feb. 8, the New York Post reported.

Advertisement

The arrest affidavit, dated Feb. 6, shows Kemp is charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle and first-degree theft.

Kemp is accused of stealing the following items, worth over $1,000, from the unmarked black Ford Expedition: a velocity system police vest, night vision goggles, a Mifi portable router, a red trauma cube filled with first aid equipment, a battery headlamp and multiple chemical sticks.

SECRET SERVICE AGENT FIRES GUN AMID CAR BREAK-IN WHILE PROTECTING BIDEN GRANDDAUGHTER

Robert Kemp, 19, is charged in connection with the break-in of a Secret Service vehicle outside of Naomi Biden’s home in November 2023. (Obtained by FOX 5 DC)

The unauthorized use of a vehicle charge stems from Kemp’s alleged use of a stolen red Toyota Corolla as the getaway car during the break-in to the Secret Service vehicle, according to the affidavit.

Advertisement

The Corolla, which had Virginia tags, was reported stolen out of Washington, D.C., and its rightful owner gave the Secret Service permission to process it when contacted.

During the processing of the Corolla, several of the items reported stolen from the Expedition during the break-in were located and Kemp’s fingerprints were found on a McDonald’s bag and receipt inside the car. 

Fingerprints belonging to an unidentified juvenile were also picked up on the stolen items inside the Corolla. The second person was confirmed to be on court-ordered GPS monitoring during that time and was located in Naomi Biden’s neighborhood the night of the break-in, according to the affidavit.

Secret Service SUV outside Naomi Biden's home

A red Toyota Corolla identified as the suspect vehicle is seen next to the black Ford Expedition belonging to a Secret Service agent that was broken into outside Naomi Biden’s home in November 2023. (Arrest affidavit via FOX 5 DC)

NAOMI BIDEN SECRET SERVICE SHOOTING: CRIME PLAGUE SPREADS TO PRESIDENTIAL GRANDDAUGHTER’S NEIGHBORHOOD

It’s unclear if the second suspect has been charged in the Nov. 12 incident.

Advertisement

According to the Washington Post, the second suspect is a 14-year-old boy who was arrested and charged with three counts of armed carjacking on Feb. 15 in connection with carjackings in January and February.

A media release from the Metropolitan Police Department in D.C. confirms the aforementioned arrest, but does not mention if the boy is the unidentified second suspect in the break-in outside Naomi Biden’s home.

Secret Service agents were out with Naomi Biden, the eldest daughter of Hunter Biden and his ex-wife Kathleen Buhle, late into the night on Nov. 12 when they saw people trying to break into the parked and unmarked Secret Service SUV outside her home, sources confirmed to Fox News at the time.

The Bidens in Nantucket

President Biden walks with granddaughter Naomi Biden, the eldest daughter of Hunter Biden and ex-wife Kathleen Buhle, in Nantucket a couple of weeks after the break-in outside her Georgetown home. (Gediminas Svitojus for Fox News Digital)

A Secret Service agent assigned to the president’s granddaughter approached the person, who was allegedly hanging out of a broken rear window on the driver’s side of the Expedition, and identified himself as police, according to the affidavit.

Advertisement

The suspect then entered the passenger side of the getaway car to flee. While backing away from the scene, the car almost struck the Secret Service agent, who discharged his firearm, the affidavit stated. The Secret Service said at the time it was believed that no one was hit by gunfire.

Continue Reading

Politics

Biden, at Culver City stop, announces $1.2 billion in student debt forgiveness

Published

on

Biden, at Culver City stop, announces $1.2 billion in student debt forgiveness

President Biden announced the cancellation Wednesday of $1.2 billion in student loan debt for more than 150,000 borrowers, saying the relief will allow them to buy homes, start families and otherwise benefit the economy.

“Folks, I’m happy to have been able to forgive these loans because when we … relieve Americans of student debt, they are free to chase their dreams,” he told dozens of supporters at the Culver City Julian Dixon Library.

Biden tried to enact a far broader plan but was blocked by the Supreme Court. So he has used executive actions to cancel student debt totaling $138 billion for nearly 3.9 million people, according to the White House.

People who qualify for the new relief — who originally borrowed up to $12,000 and have been making monthly loan payments for at least 10 years — will receive an email from the president this week. They were enrolled in a program known as SAVE, which determines monthly debt repayment based on income and family size, and also shortens the life of loans for many borrowers.

Advertisement

“It’s all to do with … giving people a chance, a fighting chance to make it,” Biden said.

Biden’s quick appearance, an official White House event, comes as Democrats are increasingly worried about disenchantment among young voters who are a key part of the coalition Biden needs to motivate to turn out in the general election in the fall.

Republicans criticized the move as a cynical, taxpayer-funded ploy to burnish Biden’s reelection chances.

“Over 60 percent of Americans don’t have a college degree, but Joe Biden wants hardworking taxpayers to foot higher education bills for the elite few. Meanwhile, families are struggling with lower real wages, higher prices, and more credit card debt than they were four years ago,” Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said in a statement. “In Biden’s desperate attempt to use your money to buy votes, American families are left behind.”

Biden was joined at the event by Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass, Sen. Alex Padilla and other California elected officials.

Advertisement

It was the president’s final event in a two-day swing through Los Angeles. Earlier in the day, Biden stopped by CJ’s Cafe in Baldwin Hills, ordered a breakfast burrito and posed for pictures with customers.

He headlined a major fundraiser Tuesday evening at media mogul Haim Saban’s sprawling Beverly Park estate. Biden told supporters, including actor Jane Fonda, that voters would have a “crystal clear” choice in the general election, when he will presumably have a rematch with former President Trump.

“Time and again, Republicans show they are a party of chaos and disunity. They shout about problems but offer nothing,” Biden told a couple of hundred people who paid as much as $250,000 to attend. “They have no platform.”

“Are they here to solve problems or just weaponize them for political attacks?” Biden said of the GOP, adding that in a second term, he would work to restore abortion and voting rights, strengthen the Affordable Care Act and Social Security, increase access to affordable housing and make corporations pay their fair share of taxes. “I’m here to serve the people.”

Saban and co-host Casey Wasserman, chair of LA28, the committee organizing the Los Angeles Olympics, both tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday and could not attend the event.

Advertisement

Biden headed to the Bay Area on Wednesday afternoon, and will hold additional fundraisers there before leaving the state Thursday. This is probably Biden’s last trip to California before Super Tuesday on March 5, when California and more than a dozen other states hold primary elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

New York City law to let non-citizen's vote ruled unconstitutional in appellate court

Published

on

New York City law to let non-citizen's vote ruled unconstitutional in appellate court

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email, you are agreeing to Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

A New York state appeals court has denied an attempt by New York City leaders to implement a law that would let non-citizens vote in local elections.

In a 3-1 ruling issued Wednesday by the Appellate Division for the Second Judicial Department, the body said the law violated the New York Constitution and Municipal Home Rule Law.

Advertisement

It “must be declared null and void,” the court said in a 43-page ruling.

The law was passed in December 2021 by the City Council and created a class of “municipal voters,” comprising non-citizens who reside in the city for at least 30 days before an election and register or pre-register to vote. Municipal voters would be granted the right to participate in elections for mayor, public advocate, comptroller, borough president and council member.

WISCONSIN’S GOP-LED LEGISLATURE MAKES SECOND ATTEMPT TO DRAW MAPS BEFORE SUPREME COURT DOES

Asylum seekers line up in front of the historic Roosevelt Hotel, converted into a city-run shelter for newly arrived migrant families in New York City. (Selcuk Acar/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

The law faced legal challenges almost immediately. 

Advertisement

It would have applied to some 800,000 new eligible voters in a city of 8.5 million. However, the appellate court said that the clause in the state constitution that says “every citizen shall be entitled to vote…” applies exclusively to U.S. citizens.

“As there is no reference to non-citizens, and thus, an irrefutable inference applies that non-citizens were intended to be excluded from those individuals entitled to vote in elections,” the court said. 

New York Mayor Eric Adams enacted the law upon taking office in January 2022. It was ruled illegal several months later. The mayor defended the law and appealed a lower ruling against it.  

Fox News Digital has reached out to Adams’ office and it was not clear if he would appeal Wednesday’s ruling.

REPUBLICAN PARTY INFIGHTING ESCALATES IN OHIO AS MARCH PRIMARY NEARS

Advertisement
Eric Adams speaks during Manhattan press conference

New York City Mayor Eric Adams speaks during a Manhattan news conference on May 17, 2023, in New York.  (Barry Williams/New York Daily News/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

Many Democrats championed the law, saying it would make the city’s politics more inclusive, while Republicans contended it could lead to voter fraud and that Democrats were only looking to pad their numbers. 

“Great news! We won in the appellate court and @NYCMayor’s attempt to implement the law to register non-citizens to vote in #NYC elections has been struck down,” U.S. Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, R-New York, posted on X. “This is a big victory in preserving both the integrity of our elections & the voice of American citizens!

Malliotakis, who represents New York’s borough of Staten Island, was one of several plaintiffs to sue over the law, along with Borough President Vito Fossella.

“Fortunately, common sense prevails in New York, thanks to the decision reached by the Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department. The New York State Constitution is clear in that only citizens can vote in our local elections. It is simply irresponsible and nonsensical to extend this right to non-citizens. We are pleased that the Appellate court shared this understanding. This is a win for New York citizens and upholds the integrity of our elections,” Fossella said.

The New York Immigration Coalition said it was disappointed in the ruling. 

Advertisement

“For generations, New York City’s culture and economy have benefited from the immigrants who have come here to work, raise their families, uplift their communities and pay taxes in New York,” NYIC Executive Director Murad Awawdeh said in a statement. “While we are still reviewing the decision and its impact on immigrant New Yorkers, the lawsuit remains another shameful attempt by xenophobic Republicans who would disenfranchise residents rather than promote a more inclusive and participatory democracy. Immigrant New Yorkers deserve a say in how their local government functions and spends their tax money, and we remain committed to ensuring the expansion of voting rights.”

voting booth

A New York state appeals court has denied an attempt by New York City leaders to implement a law that would let non-citizens vote in local elections. (PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP via Getty Images)

The ruling comes as New York City is grappling with a surge in migrants that has resulted in an uptick in crime and anger from residents. In December, Adams warned that the city was at its “breaking point” as city resources and shelter services had become strained.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending