Connect with us

Northeast

NYC crushes over 200 seized mopeds and scooters amid crackdown on illegal vehicles

Published

on

NYC crushes over 200 seized mopeds and scooters amid crackdown on illegal vehicles

New York City officials crushed over 200 illegal mopeds and scooters that police have seized off city streets in a crackdown against what authorities described as the “tools of the trade” for many criminals committing crimes against businesses and citizens throughout the city.

NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell joined Mayor Eric Adams and NYPD Commissioner Edward A. Caban on Wednesday at the Fresh Kills Landfill on Staten Island, where they announced enhanced enforcement efforts against illegal vehicles throughout the summer. “These illegal bikes are our number one quality of life issue in this city and also tools of the trade for the many crimes being committed,” he said. “They are a complete menace to the streets of New York City.”

Chell said that 41,000 illegal mopeds and scooters have been seized over the past two years, with 13,000 of the illegal vehicles being seized since Jan. 1. Chell added that the seizures were on a record pace of 30,000 by the end of 2024.

ILLEGAL MIGRANT FROM VENEZUELA ALLEGEDLY SHOT NYPD OFFICERS AT ‘POINT-BLANK RANGE,’ ORDERED HELD WITHOUT BAIL

After police and city leaders announced enhanced enforcement against illegal vehicles, two bulldozers flattened rows of seized illegal mopeds and scooters. (FOX5 New York WNYW)

Advertisement

“Not only are they illegally registered,” Chell said of the more than 200 bikes lying on the ground of the landfill, “there’s murderers on these bikes, there are shooters on these bikes, robbers on these bikes, reckless drivers putting our public at peril.”

NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell said illegal mopeds and scooters are the “tools of the trade” for many criminals on New York City streets. (FOX5 New York WNYW)

After the press conference, bulldozers were driven over the illegal mopeds and scooters to flatten the vehicles.

NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell said that the NYPD is on pace to seize a record 30,000 illegal mopeds and scooters by the end of the year. (FOX5 New York WNYW)

NY’S DEM GOVERNOR INDEFINITELY HALTS CONGESTION PRICING PLAN, PUTTING PARTY OVER CLIMATE

Advertisement

The announcement comes after two NYPD officers were shot early Monday after chasing a suspect who was driving an illegal scooter on the wrong side of the street. The suspect, an illegal immigrant from Venezuela who was suspected of using the scooter in multiple crimes, was also shot during a foot pursuit. Both officers and the suspect survived the shooting.

CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

As of Sunday, public police data showed that while overall crime citywide was down, robbery and felony assault were both up 6.3% and 5.1% since this time last year.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

New York

Read the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.

Published

on

Read the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.

searched in the detainee’s presence, where possible. Once she quickly found the gun, she moved the backpack to a separate area, as required by APD protocol — that the search be moved out of the detainee’s presence if a weapon were recovered.
Once Wasser moved the backpack to a hallway area, she continued to sift through it, placing personal items back into the backpack, and putting other evidentiary items in manila envelopes, including items found at the McDonald’s, such as the gun magazine, the cellphone, and the knife, as well as items found at the station, including a silencer, the USB drive, and the red notebook. This was also consistent with APD protocol, that personal items be separated from evidence or contraband. All the items were then moved to Featherstone’s office so there would be more room to complete the inventory.
This initial inventory sufficiently complied with Altoona procedure to be a valid inventory search. See People v. Craddock, 235 AD3d 1105, 1109 (3d Dep’t 2025). Nor does the effort to separate evidence from personal property render the search unlawful. See People v. McCray, 195 AD3d 555, 557 (1st Dep’t 2021) (that one of the requirements of the inventory search was to “remove any contraband” did not render the inventory search invalid). While Wasser did not prepare a written list of the items, APD policies did not require documentation to be simultaneous with the search, and all the items were documented once they were moved to Featherstone’s office and the larger area of the roll-call room. Minor deviations from procedure will not invalidate an inventory search, Keita, 162 AD3d at 610, and courts have upheld inventory searches where there was a delay in documentation. See Douglas, 40 NY3d at 389 (11- hour delay in preparing list): People v. Echevarria, 173 AD3d 638, 639 (1st Dep’t 2019).
Once the items were moved to Featherstone’s office, and then the roll-call room, all items were meticulously documented. Featherstone, Heuston, and eventually Burns, placed each item in an envelope, labeled each envelope, and kept written lists of the items. Heuston and Featherstone also photographed each item, including each loose piece of paper and each page the notebook.

of

Thus, it is clear that that the Altoona Police Department had an established inventory search protocol, that the protocol was followed, and that the search produced the “hallmark of an inventory search: a meaningful inventory list.” Johnson, 1 NY3d at 256. And as noted above, any

-13-

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

With the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe

Published

on

With the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe


“As we have shared with your team, it is imperative that a limited portion of Summer Street near South Station is closed to traffic,” read the letter sent from the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s General Manger Phillip Eng to the city’s interim chief of streets, Nicholas Gove.

The T’s letter, dated May 15, goes on to suggest that the state is moving forward with the plan to close down that stretch of Summer Street with or without the city’s buy-in, with Eng stating that the letter serves “as notice that the MBTA intends to acquire the temporary right to occupy this portion of Summer Street.”

“The MBTA will continue to work with the City to secure a permit, which would allow the MBTA to withdraw this notice,” read the letter.

The city says not so fast, painting the letter as an “eminent domain” power move.

Advertisement

“The City opposes this inappropriate use of eminent domain to bypass the permitting process for roadways under local jurisdiction, and we urge the Commonwealth to withdraw the filing while plans are being reviewed,” said a spokesperson for Mayor Michelle Wu’s administration in a statement.

The city’s agencies, according to the spokesperson, “have extensive experience managing major events of comparable scale, and the City has proposed alternatives to meet the safety and security needs of the World Cup while preserving access to this area for residents, visitors, and local commuters.”

The statement continued, “Full closure of a major route into the City for multiple entire workdays should be undertaken only as a last resort, and the City will continue working toward a resolution.”

The MBTA expects about 20,000 fans to take trains from Boston to Gillette Stadium for each of the local World Cup matches.

“Given the unprecedented number of people who will be coming to the South Station area to attend the World Cup, take their regular commutes or attend fan-related events, the MBTA has elevated its security posture in and around South Station to mirror those in place at [Gillette] Stadium on match days,” said Eng in the letter.

Advertisement

Boston city officials argue that the plan would further snarl traffic in an area that is already heavily congested during rush hour. They worry that planned detours for the closure don’t accurately account for driver behavior and that the proposal is underpinned by old data.

The city also says it has identified alternative plans that would not involve shutting down Summer Street, including utilizing Dewey Square and the Rose Kennedy Greenway as staging areas for passengers.

World Cup matches will be held in Foxborough on June 13, 16, 19, 23, 26, and 29, as well as July 9. The T plans to close down the street for stretches of 10 hours on game days, according to the letter. Previously, the T and the city agreed to shut down a portion of Summer Street for games on June 13 and 19, but Eng declared in the letter that “equal public safety needs exist for the other five matches.”

Summer Street is a busy thoroughfare that stretches from the city’s Financial District into the Seaport and South Boston. The stretch of road that would be shut down for World Cup game days is about a fifth of a mile, from South Station, a central commuting hub home to the Red Line, buses, and commuter rail service, to just before the Fort Point Channel. The intersection of Summer and Dorchester Avenue itself would not be shut down.

The move to close it down comes at the recommendation of State Police and the T’s public safety personnel, and local businesses have been apprised of the plan, according to the T’s letter.

Advertisement

“It is also consistent with steps we collaboratively take during other major events, such as First Night and the Boston Marathon,” said Eng in the letter.


Danny McDonald can be reached at daniel.mcdonald@globe.com. Follow him @Danny__McDonald.





Source link

Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

3-year-old hit and killed by vehicle in Hill District

Published

on

3-year-old hit and killed by vehicle in Hill District






Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending