Boston, MA
With the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe
“As we have shared with your team, it is imperative that a limited portion of Summer Street near South Station is closed to traffic,” read the letter sent from the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s General Manger Phillip Eng to the city’s interim chief of streets, Nicholas Gove.
The T’s letter, dated May 15, goes on to suggest that the state is moving forward with the plan to close down that stretch of Summer Street with or without the city’s buy-in, with Eng stating that the letter serves “as notice that the MBTA intends to acquire the temporary right to occupy this portion of Summer Street.”
“The MBTA will continue to work with the City to secure a permit, which would allow the MBTA to withdraw this notice,” read the letter.
The city says not so fast, painting the letter as an “eminent domain” power move.
“The City opposes this inappropriate use of eminent domain to bypass the permitting process for roadways under local jurisdiction, and we urge the Commonwealth to withdraw the filing while plans are being reviewed,” said a spokesperson for Mayor Michelle Wu’s administration in a statement.
The city’s agencies, according to the spokesperson, “have extensive experience managing major events of comparable scale, and the City has proposed alternatives to meet the safety and security needs of the World Cup while preserving access to this area for residents, visitors, and local commuters.”
The statement continued, “Full closure of a major route into the City for multiple entire workdays should be undertaken only as a last resort, and the City will continue working toward a resolution.”
The MBTA expects about 20,000 fans to take trains from Boston to Gillette Stadium for each of the local World Cup matches.
“Given the unprecedented number of people who will be coming to the South Station area to attend the World Cup, take their regular commutes or attend fan-related events, the MBTA has elevated its security posture in and around South Station to mirror those in place at [Gillette] Stadium on match days,” said Eng in the letter.
Boston city officials argue that the plan would further snarl traffic in an area that is already heavily congested during rush hour. They worry that planned detours for the closure don’t accurately account for driver behavior and that the proposal is underpinned by old data.
The city also says it has identified alternative plans that would not involve shutting down Summer Street, including utilizing Dewey Square and the Rose Kennedy Greenway as staging areas for passengers.
World Cup matches will be held in Foxborough on June 13, 16, 19, 23, 26, and 29, as well as July 9. The T plans to close down the street for stretches of 10 hours on game days, according to the letter. Previously, the T and the city agreed to shut down a portion of Summer Street for games on June 13 and 19, but Eng declared in the letter that “equal public safety needs exist for the other five matches.”
Summer Street is a busy thoroughfare that stretches from the city’s Financial District into the Seaport and South Boston. The stretch of road that would be shut down for World Cup game days is about a fifth of a mile, from South Station, a central commuting hub home to the Red Line, buses, and commuter rail service, to just before the Fort Point Channel. The intersection of Summer and Dorchester Avenue itself would not be shut down.
The move to close it down comes at the recommendation of State Police and the T’s public safety personnel, and local businesses have been apprised of the plan, according to the T’s letter.
“It is also consistent with steps we collaboratively take during other major events, such as First Night and the Boston Marathon,” said Eng in the letter.
Danny McDonald can be reached at daniel.mcdonald@globe.com. Follow him @Danny__McDonald.
Boston, MA
Sexual assault trial of Alvin Campbell, Massachusetts attorney general’s brother, begins today
The sexual assault trial of Alvin Campbell, the brother of Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Campbell, began Monday.
Alvin Campbell is accused of posing as an Uber driver and raping or assaulting nine young women in Boston between 2017 and 2019. He was also charged with assaulting a correctional officer last year.
The case got underway at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston Monday morning with opening statements.
“A common denominator in the attacks is evidence that Campbell masqueraded as a rideshare driver and in one case a bar employee, and targeted women at venues in the downtown Boston area who were too intoxicated to consent to sex or to resist his assaults,” prosecutors said in a criminal complaint. “He used his own cellphone to record his crimes against these defenseless victims.”
Campbell did previously work for Uber, but investigators say he had left the company before alleged crimes. The district attorney’s office said that when his car was seized, it was “festooned with Uber stickers and logos.”
Attorney General Campbell released a statement about the trial before it started.
“As my brother’s trial begins, I am praying for the survivors and all those affected. It takes extraordinary courage to come forward, and they deserve dignity and respect,” the attorney general said. “This is an incredibly difficult situation for everyone involved, and I carry that weight with me, including in my prayers for my brother. The case is now before the court, and I respect the judicial process as it moves forward.”
Boston, MA
Fire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings
A fire broke out at a home in East Boston Sunday evening, extending to additional buildings and sending black smoke billowing high into the air.
The Boston Fire Department said the flames started at a multi-family home at 263 Princeton Street. There was heavy fire on all three of the home’s porches, which had burned through to the inside.
The fire damaged three additional buildings, the fire department said on social media, and more crews were called in to help. Thousands of feet of firehose were used to battle the flames.
Deputy Fire Chief Steven Shaffer told NBC10 Boston that one firefighter was taken to the hospital by Boston EMS after suffering burns on his hand.
It’s unclear exactly how many homes were damaged by the fire in total, but the fire department said 21 people were displaced. The American Red Cross of Massachusetts assisted them with shelter and emergency supplies.
There was no immediate word on the fire’s cause. An investigation is underway.
Boston, MA
For kids in public housing, access to higher-income neighbors spurs future economic gains – The Boston Globe
Now, research shows the redesign substantially improved the lives of the children who grew up there. The main reason for these outcomes: increased interactions with people who live nearby, the higher income the better.
Compared to kids raised in similar but unchanged public housing, those raised in Hope VI sites are more likely to go to college and less likely to be incarcerated, and earn more money, according to the research from Harvard’s Opportunity Insights, an economic mobility nonprofit.
Researchers found little difference for adults, but for children, each year spent in these renovated spaces increased their adult household income by 2.8 percent. All told, those born and raised there earned 50 percent more over their lifetimes, compared to those who grew up in more isolated and impoverished surroundings.
The new Old Colony complex is fully integrated into the neighborhood around it, with updated architecture, landscaped grounds, and streets running through it. Outsiders regularly walk their dogs or jog through, sometimes even stopping to say hello, Moreta said, likely unaware they’re in the midst of public housing. There are fewer police sirens, fewer safety concerns — and a lot less stigma.
Moreta’s two older children were already grown by the time the project was completed last year. But her younger daughter, Brianny, who’s 14, is benefiting.
“My older children would feel like scum, because that’s how other people would make them feel,” Moreta said in Spanish, through an interpreter.
With the redevelopment, that sense of “otherness” has lifted, she said: “They don’t see us as criminals anymore.”
Public housing was started by the federal government in the 1930s as a way to get people out of overcrowded slums. The buildings were situated on “super blocks” closed off from the street grid to keep cars from driving through, and to keep children safe, said Alexander von Hoffman, a senior research fellow at Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies.
But eventually, these secluded spaces isolated residents and provided cover for criminal activity. In time, working-class families increasingly left public housing, prompting authorities to admit more single parents and welfare recipients, said von Hoffman, who has researched the history of public housing. Crime and disorder increased, maintenance faltered, and buildings fell into disrepair.
By the 1980s, public housing was in crisis.
Old Colony was no exception. Kevin Weeks, an associate of notorious gangster James “Whitey” Bulger grew up there, and their organized crime ring took over a liquor store across the street.
Moreta’s oldest child, Samuel, was a baby when they moved into Old Colony in 1999. Back then, the complex was row after row of identical brick buildings, encircled by streets that cordoned it off from the rest of the neighborhood. Inside, there were cockroaches and mold, peeling paint and crumbling walls. Homeless people came inside to sleep and do drugs in the stairwells. Gun shots and drunken fights broke out in the street.
At school, Samuel’s rowdy behavior was dismissed as him being a “project kid.” At home, he saw neighbors walking by with a “clutch of a purse,” and he avoided them as well.
“I think subconsciously what it did … is hold off me being able to make connections with certain people sometimes, because I don’t know what their intentions are,” said Samuel, who asked that his last name not be used to protect his privacy.
The government started revamping these deteriorating housing developments in 1993. In Boston, Old Colony was the last of five to undergo a transformation. Housing developments in Cambridge, Taunton, New Bedford, and Holyoke were also part of the Hope VI makeover.
Researchers at Opportunity Insights, led by famed economist Raj Chetty, began studying tax and housing data of people living in these resuscitated spaces. Earlier research by Chetty showed that families who move to higher-income neighborhoods improve their children’s future success, and he wanted to know if bringing opportunity to lower-income families would produce better outcomes, too.
It did — by breaking up the concentration of poverty and increasing social interactions between children of different income levels, said Matthew Staiger, coauthor of the Opportunity Insights study. Cellphone data, Facebook connections, and Census records showed that children who grew up in Hope VI developments were more likely to befriend and later live with peers from outside public housing.
The rate of violent crime in refurbished projects fell by 41 percent compared to untouched ones, national police records show.
Before, segregated public housing likely reinforced the idea that lower-income kids were different and better economic opportunities were not for them, Staiger said.
“Interacting with and befriending kids from higher-income families changes your aspirations and what you think is possible for yourself,” Staiger said. “It changes how you think you fit into the world.”
Occupants of reconfigured housing developments in disadvantaged areas, on the other hand, didn’t experience any economic gains during the same time period.
Not all Hope VI public housing residents are happy with how things have changed. Only about a fifth of residents came back after they moved out during construction, including some who had settled elsewhere in their years away. Others were screened out by criminal background checks and drug tests.
At Washington Beech in Roslindale, resident Meena Carr said the formerly close-knit community is no longer.
“There’s no togetherness,” said Carr, 84, a retired teacher originally from Trinidad and Tobago. “It looks nice, but inside is rotten.”
There are no more bingo nights, no coffee hours. Even the basketball court, formerly used by kids from around the neighborhood, is fenced off with a sign reading: “This is not a public playground.”
Regardless, the Boston Hope VI properties are better off than some because they are all located in or near wealthy, resource-rich areas, said Kenzie Bok, administrator of the Boston Housing Authority, and because the housing authority gets more grants from the city than from the federal government, which has been cutting funds for public housing.
The key, said Bok, is that these new apartments make children feel valued at an impressionable time in their lives.
“It’s going to embolden you in making those connections, feeling like those people and those resources are available to you, that they’re for you,” Bok said.
The economic gains weren’t due to the new mix of residents, noted Staiger, the Opportunity Insights study coauthor. The longer a child lived in a redeveloped property, the better he or she did later in life. Younger siblings who lived in these new spaces longer than an older brother or sister went on to outearn them, Staiger said, and this shows that the environment played a role in their outcomes.
Von Hoffman, at the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies, questioned the implication that “poor people left to their own devices will just wallow in the slums.”
This criticism has been raised before. But the real takeaway, Staiger stressed, is that it’s harmful to wall people off from society.
Moreta, at Old Colony, can already feel the difference. She and her family moved to another public housing complex during the final phase of construction, and came back about a year ago. Her new apartment is spacious, with high ceilings and central air conditioning. Security cameras and key cards make the property more secure.
More than anything, she said, she finally feels like she belongs.
“Everything has changed because the appearance of the buildings has changed,” said Moreta, who works in a high school cafeteria.
Her daughter Brianny, who is finishing up her freshman year, gets straight A’s. Her friends sometimes joke about her being from “the projects,” her mother said, but, so far, she isn’t experiencing the discrimination and stress that Samuel did.
And she’s thinking big. Samuel, now 27, recently told Brianny, who loves to draw, she should think about art school.
“Art school?” she scoffed. “I’m aiming for Harvard.”
This story was produced by the Globe’s Money, Power, Inequality team, which covers the racial wealth gap in Greater Boston. You can sign up for the newsletter here.
Katie Johnston can be reached at katie.johnston@globe.com. Follow her @ktkjohnston.
-
New York18 seconds agoRead the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.
-
Los Angeles, Ca6 minutes agoSimi Valley School District cancels school Tuesday as Sandy Fire doubles in size
-
Detroit, MI30 minutes agoTwerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
-
San Francisco, CA42 minutes agoSan Francisco’s last jeepney helps highlight city’s Filipino culture
-
Dallas, TX48 minutes agoDallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back
-
Miami, FL54 minutes agoFIFA launches official World Cup merchandise shop in Miami Beach
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoDenver weather: More rain expected this week
-
Seattle, WA1 hour agoThe Seattle Opera Hosted Its First Official Furry Night – The Stranger