New Jersey
NJ man caught with massive cache of illegal guns, knives and explosives thanks to his own shameless Facebook posts
A New Jersey man’s shameless posts on Facebook led police to uncover a massive cache of illegal guns, knives, and explosives stashed inside the suspect’s home on a quiet suburban block this week.
Kyle Arena, 35, of Totowa, NJ, is facing multiple firearms and weapons charges stemming from a home raid Tuesday that yielded rifles, handguns, dozens of knives, ninja stars, brass knuckles, 129 fully loaded illegal high-capacity magazines, thousands of rounds of ammunition and even four explosives, Totowa police said.
An anonymous tipster alerted cops to Arena’s concerning social media posts and alleged arsenal of guns and investigators had to look no further than his Facebook page for probable cause.
Arena made a habit of flashing his guns online and “posting questionable content in various Facebook groups,” according to authorities.
In one post, he pointed a gun at people while driving by in his car. In other posts, he shared pics of illegal items such as silencers, police said.
In another photo, Arena can be seen holding up a rifle to his square black-rimmed glasses, pretending to take aim at an unseen target.
The emailed tip included screengrabs of Arena’s Facebook posts to a group called “Meal Team 6.1 Mid-Tier Main Group,” according to authorities. That private group of gun-enthusiasts boasts 14,500 members.
“Meal Team 6.1 Mid-Tier Main Group” has a number of rules posted to their homepage, including “DO NOT USE FB REPORTING OPTIONS” or face removal. The rule encourages members to eschew Facebook content moderators for fear that any intervention into the private group would result in it being shut down entirely.
With the multitude of evidence from his social posts, Totowa police were granted a search and seize warrant called a “Temporary Extreme Risk Protection Order” by a judge to search through the Lincoln Avenue home where Arena lives with his parents.
Investigators found the huge arsenal of weapons hidden inside a crawl space inside the home and bomb-sniffing dogs discovered four explosive devices, police said.
Nearby residents told ABC7 they couldn’t believe one of their neighbors was hoarding the stockpile of deadly weapons.
“I was in shock,” Ciro Abdondanza told the station. “I never would have expected anything of that magnitude would happen in Totowa.”
“I couldn’t believe it,” Carmine Cifalvi added. “That’s just crazy. What’s he starting his own army or something?”
Officers seized all the items and arrested Arena without incident. He is being held by the Passaic County Sheriff’s Office and faces multiple illegal firearms-related charges. He is due in court on Monday.
The suspect’s 66-year-old father, Felix Arena was also taken into custody during the search. He was charged with disorderly conduct, terroristic threats, and resisting arrest.
New Jersey
New Jersey drought warning persists into summer months
This story is part of the WHYY News Climate Desk, bringing you news and solutions for our changing region.
From the Poconos to the Jersey Shore to the mouth of the Delaware Bay, what do you want to know about climate change? What would you like us to cover? Get in touch.
As summer begins, New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill is urging residents to limit lawn watering, and hand water flowers and shrubs as a drought warning continues. The warning, in place since December 2025, could turn into a drought emergency if conditions do not improve. The state has suffered eight consecutive months of below-normal rainfall, according to officials.
“New Jersey is experiencing a chronic water supply drought, the scale of which we haven’t seen in more than twenty years,” state geologist Steven Domber said in a statement issued earlier this month. “The indicators that we track closely are showing persistently dry conditions. With uncertainty for rainfall in the coming months, we need residents to conserve water today, to ensure we have enough to sustain our needs over the summer.”
The Department of Environmental Protection uses a variety of indicators to determine drought levels, including precipitation, stream flows, reservoir levels, ground water levels and demand.
In addition to the last two months, officials say, the state “experienced below normal precipitation for 20 of the last 24 months since September 2024,” despite heavy snowfall events this past winter that helped restore reservoirs in North Jersey.
“While we saw a little relief over the winter, New Jersey is feeling the effects of nearly two years of below-normal precipitation,” Sherrill said in a statement earlier this month. She urged residents to voluntarily conserve water.
New Jersey state climatologist David Robinson said that since precipitation has been below normal for most of the last 24 months, the recent winter weather did not provide enough water to help restore streams and groundwater.
Should a drought emergency be declared, mandatory water restrictions would be put in place. The last drought emergency lasted almost a year, between March 2002 and January 2003.
New Jersey
Mamdani’s $50 World Cup ticket lottery fuels feud with N.J.
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani proudly announced a deal Thursday that will allow residents of NYC — and only NYC — to buy 1,000 World Cup tickets for $50 each. And before he even finished his news conference, New Jersey officials made it clear what they thought of an arrangement that leaves them out.
“FIFA not caring about costs for New Jersey residents isn’t new,” said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesperson for N.J. Gov. Mikie Sherrill. “This is just another reason why Governor Sherrill is working hard to lower costs on our own.”
Officials in both states told ESPN that they see the deal as a reward to Mamdani for wooing FIFA and the New York-New Jersey Host Committee, while Sherrill is essentially being punished for her criticisms of both since taking office in January.
The perception that New York is the favored child seems to be a source of pride for both states.
One New Jersey official said the Garden State will soon be offering its own discounted ticket program, but with the support of corporate sponsors, not the host committee or FIFA.
A spokesperson for Mamdani declined comment on the dynamic. Under the deal Mamdani announced Thursday morning, the tickets are coming from the host committee’s own allotment, which were purchased from FIFA at face value.
Two sources familiar with negotiations said the deal needed FIFA’s approval, and that Mamdani had worked with FIFA president Gianni Infantino since March to get it.
“We are making sure that working people will not be priced out of the game that they helped to create,” Mamdani told reporters.
Two New Jersey members of Congress, Democrats Nellie Pou, who represents the district where the stadium is, and Frank Pallone Jr., said they aren’t happy with the deal. They sent a letter to FIFA two weeks ago asking for explanations about FIFA’s ticket policies, which they called “opaque” and “potentially deceptive.”
“This publicity stunt does nothing to address the cost of tickets,” they said in a joint statement Thursday. “One thousand tickets spread over seven games, by our math, amounts to 0.17% of available tickets for those games. FIFA must respond to our inquiry on their questionable ticketing practices and take broader measures now, right now, to lower ticket prices for all the fans. Time is running very short for real action.”
A FIFA source said the deal was between the host committee and Mamdani’s office.
“FIFA was only involved to the extent that it wanted to make sure the discounted tickets went to fans who genuinely planned to attend the games and be in the stadium,” the source said, which the parties satisfied by saying fans won’t get their tickets until they board a bus to the games.
A source with direct knowledge of World Cup planning conversations said the host committee doesn’t agree that anyone is playing favorites.
“In terms of what the asks have been, it’s been different for both sides of the river, but it’s not a reflection of the relationship between the host committee and either side,” the source said. “The host committee is working with the governor’s office and the mayor’s office daily and they just have different priorities. Mamdani ran on this affordability campaign and today he fulfilled a campaign promise.”
For Mamdani’s administration, the deal is a sign that the mayor has been engaged with Infantino with the same patient, head-down diplomacy that led to his surprisingly cordial meetings with President Donald Trump in November and February.
For Sherrill, the alleged slight to New Jersey is the price of a governor standing up against a deal she thought was bad for her state.
Sherrill has been clear that she is not pleased with the deal her administration inherited from the previous governor, fellow Democrat Phil Murphy, whose wife, Tammy, is the chair of the host committee’s board of directors. Sherrill said the original deal signed by then-Gov. Murphy left New Jersey residents with too much of the cost of transportation and security.
In his statement on Sherrill’s behalf, Sigmund trumpeted steps she has taken, “including securing $3.6 million to discount tickets for NJ Transit riders whose commutes are impacted by the World Cup games, and why we are maximizing the economic benefits and excitement of the games throughout the State.”
Soon after taking office, Sherrill canceled the planned fanfest in Liberty State Park, in part because she felt the event would be more accessible to New Yorkers arriving by boat than New Jersey drivers negotiating what can be brutal traffic to the park, as ESPN recently reported. Instead, she announced that the state would reallocate $5 million for the fanfest to a series of community-based events around the state.
Sherrill’s administration also raised the cost of a round trip from Manhattan’s Penn Station to $98 dollars on game days, drawing the ire of New Yorkers and international fans. Sherrill has said the burden for an estimated $48 million in additional transit costs should be borne by visitors, not New Jersey residents.
Under the ticket program announced Thursday, New Yorkers will be able to register for a drawing that will take place Monday morning. The 1,000 tickets will be spread over the seven games leading up to the final, which will also be played in New Jersey. The city will provide free bus transportation for those fans.
As of Thursday morning, the cheapest tickets available for New York-New Jersey through FIFA’s last-minute direct sales website were $1,550 to see Norway play Senegal in the group stage. There are more affordable tickets available on the FIFA Marketplace — the governing body’s resale site — where a seat for Norway-Senegal can be purchased for under $400.
New Jersey
NJ Transit Memorial Day weekend schedules and discounts offered
Two-minute read
Watch NJ Transit preview new multilevel train with Gov. Mikie Sherrill
Governor Mikie Sherril and President and CEO of NJ Transit, Kris Kolluri, talk about improvements to the mass transit system, Monday, April 13, 2026.
Want to save on gas and avoid Memorial Day weekend traffic? NJ Transit is offering deals and increasing services on certain trains and buses.
With the Family SuperSaver Fare, two kids 11 and under can ride for free with each fare-paying adult. The program, which is valid every weekend, is extended to accommodate early getaways this Memorial Day weekend. It begins Friday, May 22 at 7 p.m. and ends Tuesday, May 26 at 6 a.m.
Rail, light rail and buses will operate on a modified schedule.
Rail
Extra outbound trains on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris and Essex and Port Jervis lines will run on Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. After 4 p.m., certain Northeast Corridor, New Jersey Coast and Raritan Valley lines will be canceled or combined, according to an NJ Transit press release.
On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, trains will run on a regular weekend schedule. The Bay Head-Long Branch shuttle will increase to hourly services from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Buses
On Friday starting at 12 p.m., certain bus routes will run extra buses from Port Authority Bus Terminal, while other routes will be cancelled.
The full list of holiday weekend modifications can be found by visiting NJ Transit’s Holiday Service Guide: njtransit.com/holiday-service-guide.
On Saturday and Sunday, buses will operate on regular weekend schedules, but on Monday, bus schedules will vary in accordance with the Holiday Service Guide. NJ Transit advises passengers that routes will be subjected to detours and delays due to Memorial Day parades happening in different municipalities.
Light rail
The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will run on a weekend schedule from Saturday to Monday.
The Newark Light Rail will run on its Saturday schedule on Saturday, its Sunday schedule on Sunday and its Saturday schedule on Monday.
The River Line will run on its Saturday schedule on Saturday, its Sunday schedule on Sunday and its Sunday schedule on Monday.
NJ Transit encourages travelers to check timetables in advance and to plan extra time for traveling.
Real time bus and train departures can be tracked on NJ Transit’s app. Notifications for delays can be found on X, formerly known as Twitter.
Olivia Liu is a reporter covering transportation, Red Bank and western Monmouth County. She can be reached at oliu@gannett.com.
-
West Virginia3 minutes agoWoman sentenced for her role in drug trafficking ring linking West Virginia to Illinois
-
Wyoming10 minutes agoWyoming gaming revenue surges past billions as Casper considers freeze
-
Crypto16 minutes agoBlockchain.com files confidentially for US IPO amid growing crypto listings – SiliconANGLE
-
Finance21 minutes agoScaling Blended Climate Finance: What Works in Practice – CPI
-
Fitness27 minutes agoSusanna Reid, 55, swapped runs and the gym for walks and 10-minute workouts – here’s her low-effort routine
-
Movie Reviews40 minutes agoThe 20 Best Films of Cannes 2026
-
World52 minutes agoInside ‘Sh(AI)ved,’ the AI-Created Vintage Adult Film Collection Unveiled at Cannes: ‘Splendid, Volcanic Orgasms’
-
News58 minutes agoRead Tulsi Gabbard’s Resignation Letter