Massachusetts
2 charged after second grader reportedly brought gun to Massachusetts school
Two people are facing firearms charges after a second grade student reportedly brought a gun to a school in Swansea, Massachusetts, the town’s police department said. Video above: 11,500 shootings occurred within 500 yards of U.S. schools last year. See the data in the video above.According to Swansea police, officers received a report that a second grade student may have brought a handgun to Mark G. Hoyle Elementary School and showed it to at least two other students. A search warrant issued for a home on Market Street turned up five firearms, none of which were registered or properly stored, police said.No one in the home possessed a Firearms Identification Card. Christopher Spangler, 61, and Heather Spangler, 43, are facing several charges, including reckless endangerment of a child and improper storage of a firearm near a minor. They will be arraigned on April 22 in Fall River District Court. According to Swansea police, since officers are mandated reporters, they also filed a report with the Department of Children and Families about the incident.”This situation had the potential to end in a tragedy,” said Swansea Police Chief Mark Foley. “Because of the work of our Swansea police investigators, no one was hurt, and several firearms that were possessed illegally and stored unsafely are now off the street.”An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Two people are facing firearms charges after a second grade student reportedly brought a gun to a school in Swansea, Massachusetts, the town’s police department said.
Video above: 11,500 shootings occurred within 500 yards of U.S. schools last year. See the data in the video above.
According to Swansea police, officers received a report that a second grade student may have brought a handgun to Mark G. Hoyle Elementary School and showed it to at least two other students.
A search warrant issued for a home on Market Street turned up five firearms, none of which were registered or properly stored, police said.
No one in the home possessed a Firearms Identification Card.
Christopher Spangler, 61, and Heather Spangler, 43, are facing several charges, including reckless endangerment of a child and improper storage of a firearm near a minor.
They will be arraigned on April 22 in Fall River District Court.
According to Swansea police, since officers are mandated reporters, they also filed a report with the Department of Children and Families about the incident.
“This situation had the potential to end in a tragedy,” said Swansea Police Chief Mark Foley. “Because of the work of our Swansea police investigators, no one was hurt, and several firearms that were possessed illegally and stored unsafely are now off the street.”
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Massachusetts
Video shows lightning strike near Massachusetts family:
A Southboro, Massachusetts family came within feet of being struck by lightning on Tuesday, and the entire incident was caught on camera.
Brad Robillard had just got home with his son and daughter. “It sounded like a bomb was going off,” Robillard said.
As he went to get his daughter out of the back seat of his pickup truck, an explosion happened right behind him.
“I had literally just told my son that the chances of getting struck by lightning are pretty slim,” said Robillard. “It was the hair raising on the back of your neck, then immediately right after, it went off.”
Robillard knew there was thunder and lightning in the area. He counted to “10 Mississippi” before getting out of the car. It’s common teaching to determine how close lightning is. You start the count after you hear thunder and then divide by 5. It gives a rough estimate of how many miles the last lightning strike was.
“I had counted to 10 before we got out of the car and I’m like yeah, it’s OK. I never thought it would be on top of us on the next one,” said Robillard.
In the video you can see an explosion happening right behind him, but he doesn’t believe that is the lightning strike. There is a tree in his backyard with a line of bark shaved off the side. He thinks the lightning struck the tree, ran into a metal fence in their backyard, and then climbed their home and exited from a soffit at the roof. There are burn marks at the soffit and scorch marks on parts of the fence.
“The path of least resistance, then that big explosion behind me,” said Robillard.
The surveillance footage of the incident made quick rounds on the internet, but Robillard is still trying to wrap his head around what happened.
“At the time it’s like, ‘Wow what is going on?’ Then we ran inside and the adrenaline wears off, that’s what you start thinking about,” said Robillard.
Massachusetts
As online sexual exploitation grows, laws need to catch up – The Boston Globe
You’d think a predator in our own backyard — no matter how far-flung his victims — would be a wake-up call to lawmakers to tackle the growing problem of online sexual exploitation of children. Well, think again.
Sure, Gavin’s wide-ranging national and international exploits made him a natural for federal prosecution. But the mere fact that the Massachusetts State Police received 23,000 reports about child exploitation in 2025 via the CyberTipline — a 77 percent increase over the previous year — would surely indicate the problem is growing right under our noses.
And yet Massachusetts remains an outlier among other states in adapting its own laws to deal with the sexual exploitation and abuse of children generally and its newest manifestation — the proliferation of internet exploitation whether on the so-called dark web or social media outlets.
Massachusetts, for example, remains one of only five states in the nation that has failed to criminalize AI-generated or computer-edited materials involving the sexual exploitation of children.
According to the advocacy group EnoughAbuse.org, half of those laws approved in other states were passed during the 2024-25 legislative cycle. Massachusetts did pass a bill in 2024 to criminalize “deep-fake nudes,” the group noted on its website, but it was not specifically to protect children, nor has anyone been prosecuted under it, according to the website.
And while lawmakers on Beacon Hill have advanced — although not yet passed — legislation to prohibit the use of AI-generated “deep fakes” in election ads and materials, they have not made a similar effort to confront their use to exploit children, whose only “crime” might have been to post a photo on the web that could then be manipulated or “nudified” via AI.
Assistant US Attorney Luke Goldworm, the prosecutor in the Gavin case, told the Globe the exploitation is very real.
“They’re not dots and pixels, ones and zeros,” Goldworm said. “They’re someone’s daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, and friend. And these crimes steal their innocence. It robs them of the safety all children should feel in their own home.”
The most obvious way to close that gaping loophole in Massachusetts law, advocates say, would be to update the state’s child pornography law.
Today predators are using every available avenue to reach children — including those ubiquitous game boxes. One of Gavin’s victims — the one whose father helped investigators make the case against the Brookline teacher — was a 12-year-old Tennessee girl Gavin managed to find via her Microsoft Xbox.
Meanwhile, states continue to play whack-a-mole with social media companies like Meta and tech giants like Apple, demanding more safety controls to protect children. Apple is now also facing a suit by West Virginia’s attorney general for allegedly knowingly allowing its iCloud storage platform to host illicit images of children. The suit charges that “Rather than implement industry-standard detection tools used by its peers, Apple repeatedly shirked their responsibility to protect children under the guise of user privacy.”
Meanwhile, as predators get ever more savvy about using technology to exploit and victimize children, Massachusetts remains behind the curve even on the simple stuff.
Legislation aimed at mandating education about child sexual abuse prevention for students and school personnel continues to languish. So too enhanced screening for those seeking to work in school systems. And while there’s no evidence that Gavin exploited those in his immediate orbit or that any of his employers knew of his illegal activities, there’s also no reason for Massachusetts not to approve legislation to prevent “passing the trash,” as it’s known — where one school system knowingly passes along those employees guilty of sexual misconduct to another school system.
All of those concepts are included in an omnibus bill, which also would close the age-of-consent loophole that has allowed the sexual exploitation of 16- to 18-year-olds by adults in positions of authority, like teachers, coaches, or counselors. The latter concept has been approved by 39 other states.
But that legislation has been languishing in the House Ways and Means Committee since September.
Sure, tech companies need to do more to protect children. Parents, often bewildered by the technology that seems to be second nature to their children, need to be more vigilant. But there is simply no excuse for Massachusetts lawmakers to ignore legislation that would educate children about the dangers of online sexual abuse and criminalize the conduct of predators in their midst and those who would enable them.
Editorials represent the views of the Boston Globe Editorial Board. Follow us @GlobeOpinion.
Massachusetts
Missing Holyoke man identified after body found in Connecticut River
22News coverage from January 13th is shown in the video player above.
LYME, Conn. (WWLP) – A body found in the Connecticut River has been identified as a missing man from Holyoke.
A news release by the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection states that at approximately 12:23 p.m. on May 9th, a body was found by a vessel on the Connecticut River between Lyme and Chester by members of the Chester Fire Department.
After review of the records of those reported missing, the State Office of the Chief Medical Examiner identified the individual as 63-year-old Donald Plasse of Holyoke. The search for Plasse began on January 13th when the South Hadley Fire Department received a report of a person in the Connecticut River.
When crews arrived, they could see a man clinging to the ice approximately 150 yards from the shore. A rescue was attempted, but the victim went under the water before he could be reached by emergency crews. Rescue efforts were impacted by the river current and ice conditions.
Local News Headlines
WWLP-22News, an NBC affiliate, began broadcasting in March 1953 to provide local news, network, syndicated, and local programming to western Massachusetts. Download the 22News Plus app on your TV to watch live-streaming newscasts and video on demand.
-
Los Angeles, Ca1 hour agoSouthern California jeweler accused of stealing $1.5 million from customers through Rolex watch scam
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoAir France flight bound for Detroit diverted to Canada over passenger from Congo, officials say
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoCaltrans considering 140 mph bus that would take passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoDallas police seek two people of interest seen leaving Deep Ellum shooting that injured five
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoInter Miami nearing deal to bring in Brazilian star Casemiro to pair with Lionel Messi
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoBoston City Council deadlocks on push to reject Mayor Wu’s $4.9B budget
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoDenver weather: More rain to end the week
-
Seattle, WA2 hours agoSeattle leaders’ proposed one-year ban on data centers met with strong support