Northeast
Maryland property tax assessment error could cost $250M
Maryland lawmakers are looking at a legislative solution to address a missed mailing deadline for property tax assessments, a mistake that affected about 107,000 notices and could cost local governments roughly $250 million over three years if nothing is done, a state official said Thursday.
Maryland reassesses the value of one-third of all property in each county every year. The State Department of Assessments and Taxation must send the notices by Jan. 30.
This year, however, the agency learned of an error that resulted in notices not being sent, according to Michael Higgs, the agency’s director. That has interfered with the timeline for property owners to appeal the new assessments.
MARYLAND GOV. MOORE ENDORSES BILLS AIMED AT MITIGATING HOUSING CRISIS
State Sen. Guy Guzzone, who chairs the Senate Budget and Taxation Committee, said attorneys are working to find the best solution that will be fair.
“We’re trying to resolve a mistake, and what it will essentially look like would give the department the ability to get the mail out now, which they are in the process of doing, and from the time period that people receive it, that they then continue to get every bit of an opportunity, the full, same opportunity, to appeal assessments,” Guzzone said in an interview Thursday.
Guzzone, a Howard County Democrat, said lawmakers are considering a provision that would extend the expired mailing deadline.
Pictured here is the Maryland State House on May 11, 2023, in Annapolis, Md. Maryland lawmakers are in search of a solution to the problem of property tax assessments not getting sent out by the planned deadline, which means that people never had the chance to appeal them. (AP Photo/Brian Witte, File)
The error in the mailing process was first reported by Maryland Matters.
Higgs said the agency uses the state’s preferred vendor, the League of People with Disabilities, to print and mail reassessment notices. In a statement, he said the vendor has since resolved an error, and the missed recipients will receive notices in the coming weeks.
Higgs said the agency has been working with the General Assembly to draft legislation that will enable a temporary timeline adjustment to distribute the reassessment notices.
“The legislation will ensure that the State reassessment can be completed fairly and accurately and that all appropriate revenues are collected,” Higgs said. “Every account in this group will receive a notice in the coming weeks and will be provided with the full 45-day time frame for appealing the reassessment.”
David Greenberg, the president of the League for People with Disabilities in Baltimore, said a social enterprise division of the group has been processing, printing and mailing the notices with timeliness, proficiency and integrity for more than 10 years.
“In Fall of 2023, SDAT made significant changes to the format of the assessment,” Greenberg wrote in an email. “SDAT later discovered duplicate and missing notices. Since then, The League has been working closely with SDAT staff to fix the issues.”
In December, the department announced there was an overall average increase in value of nearly 26% for all residential property in the state’s 23 counties and the city of Baltimore.
Read the full article from Here
Boston, MA
Where to watch Colgate vs. Boston University today: College basketball free stream
If you purchase a product through a link on our site, we may receive compensation.
The Boston University Terriers host the Colgate Raiders Monday at 6 p.m. ET. Colgate took down Boston University 80-79 in overtime on Jan. 24.
Colgate vs. Boston University will air on CBS Sports, and streams live on fuboTV (free trial).
What: Men’s college basketball regular season
Who: Colgate Raiders vs. Boston University Terriers
When: Monday, Feb. 16, 2026
Where: Case Gym, Boston, Massachusetts
Time: 6 p.m. ET
TV: CBS Sports Network
Live stream: fuboTV (free trial), DIRECTV (free trial)
The Colgate men’s basketball team mounted a furious second-half rally Saturday but couldn’t complete an 18-point comeback, falling to Navy 84-80 in overtime at Cotterell Court.
Jalen Cox delivered a game-high 30 points along with seven assists, five rebounds, and three steals for the Raiders. The guard forced overtime by scoring the final four points of regulation, including two free throws in the last eight seconds that tied the game at 77-77. Cox also disrupted a potential game-winning shot attempt by Navy’s Austin Benigni at the regulation buzzer.
Navy dominated early, building a 36-18 lead in the first half with help from three 3-pointers by Jordan Pennick. The Midshipmen took a 48-28 advantage into halftime.
The Raiders clawed back after intermission. Cox sparked the comeback by scoring or assisting on Colgate’s first 17 second-half points, trimming the deficit to 51-45 with more than 15 minutes remaining. Back-to-back 3-pointers from Kyle Carlesimo later knotted the score at 55-55, and Andrew Alekseyenko’s triple gave Colgate its biggest lead at 61-59 with 8:47 left.
Alekseyenko finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the season. His five 3-pointers set a career high. Josh Ahayere added 12 points and five rebounds, while Carlesimo scored nine points.
The overtime period became a defensive battle, with both teams combining to shoot just 1-for-10 from the field. Alekseyenko missed a go-ahead 3-point attempt with 10 seconds remaining, and Benigni sealed Navy’s victory at the free-throw line.
The defeat ended Colgate’s 13-game winning streak against Navy and marked the Midshipmen’s first victory at Cotterell Court since January 2016. The Raiders have lost four conference games this season by a combined 10 points and dropped to 1-3 in overtime contests.
Pittsburg, PA
‘Wandering Minstrel’ Chuck Watts has died at 74
Connecticut
One male dead following a shooting in New London
One person has died after a shooting in New London on Sunday night.
At around 7:20 p.m., the New London Police Department responded to a call for shots fired on Connecticut Avenue between Prest Street and McDonald Street.
Upon arrival, officers located one adult male with a gunshot wound to his lower extremity and immediately began to provide medical assistance until he was transported to the hospital for treatment.
The male was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival to the hospital.
The identity of the victim has not been released.
The New London Police Department is continuing to investigate the scene, including conducting interviews as a part of their investigation.
Anyone with information regarding the shooting can contact the New London Police Department Detective Division at 860-447-1481.
Anyone can also send an anonymous tip to the New London Tips 411 system by texting NLPDTip, plus the information to Tip411 (847411).
Further details will be provided as the investigation continues.
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Illinois1 week ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
Culture7 days agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
News1 week ago
Hate them or not, Patriots fans want the glory back in Super Bowl LX
-
Technology1 week agoWe found 20 Verge-approved gifts on sale ahead of Valentine’s Day
-
Politics1 week agoVirginia Dems take tax hikes into overtime, target fantasy football leagues
-
Politics1 week agoWest Virginia worked with ICE — 650 arrests later, officials say Minnesota-style ‘chaos’ is a choice