Maine
Online tool aims to predict future invasive pests
A new online tool that aims to predict future invasive insects has been developed with the help of an assistant professor of forest entomology at the University of Maine.
Angela Mech helped lead a group across the U.S. who spent the past seven years creating the i-Tree Pest Predictor. She said it uses data about tree and insect traits and how they interact to help identify future problematic invasive insects.
“So we can predict the next emerald ash borer or browntail moth before it gets here and that way be a little better prepared for it,” she said.
Mech said the tool, which can be found online, is available for anyone to use.
Maine
Marking 27 years since Bethel first set world record for tallest snowman
BETHEL (WGME) – Thursday marks 27 years since a record-breaking snowman was completed in Bethel.
In 1999, the finishing touches were put on Angus “King of the Mountain,” named after then-Governor Angus King.
At 113 feet and 7 inches, it set a Guinness World Record for world’s tallest snowman at the time.
Just nine years later, Bethel would break that record, building Olympia “the Snowe-Woman,” which stood at 122 feet and 1 inch.
The Bethel Chamber of Commerce says it took 13 million pounds of snow to build Olympia and 8 million to build Angus.
Maine
Solar companies lose bid to restore Maine incentives
A federal judge has dealt a blow to solar companies’ attempt to block a rollback of state incentives for the industry passed by Maine lawmakers.
U.S. District Judge Stacey Neumann on Tuesday denied a motion for preliminary injunction filed by the owners of dozens of solar farms to halt new project fees included in changes to Maine’s Net Energy Billing program.
Judge Neumann discounted the companies’ arguments that an imposition of new fees on existing projects was an unconstitutional government “taking” and said they were unlikely to win the case.
The solar companies argued that they developed projects under an expansion of the Net Energy Billing (NEB) program seven years ago.
Developers sued Maine utility regulators last year, arguing that they relied on the program to make project finances work and adding new fees would cripple existing solar farms.
But Judge Neumann noted that companies’ participation in NEB was entirely voluntarily, and they could withdraw and sell power to other customers.
“The project charge does not fall within either recognized exception to the general rule that monetary assessments are not takings,” Judge Neumann said.
Maine lawmakers expanded NEB in 2019 to encourage developers to install “community” solar projects of up to 5 megawatts with special electric rates paid for by electric customers.
The policy sparked a boom in solar development in Maine, but costs of the program were tied to overall electric prices which rose sharply in recent years.
In 2026 lawmakers curtailed the program and added the new charges to offset electric ratepayers’ expenses.
An attorney representing the companies did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
But Kevin Cray, vice president of existing markets and regulatory affairs for the Coalition for Community Solar Access said it was disappointed by the decision and believed in the merits of the suit’s claims.
“This retroactive policy change chills economic investment, undermines market certainty, and punishes American companies that followed the law, while ignoring the Maine Department of Energy Resources’ report that natural gas, not solar or wind, is the real driver of soaring power prices,” Cray said in a press release.
Maine
Share the Power of a Wish Telethon raises more than $130,000 for Make-A-Wish Maine
PORTLAND (WGME) — Wednesday was Share the Power of a Wish Day at CBS13, where we help raise money, make wishes come true and shine a light on the importance of Make-A-Wish Maine as they grant life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses all across the state.
We had amazing volunteers in our studio all day.
CBS13 had a goal of helping to raise $130,000 and Mainers knocked that out of the park, raising roughly $132,000.
All of that money goes toward making wishes come true. Last year was another record-setting year, where you helped grant 89 wishes. This year, we were looking to grant even more.
Interview with Make-A-Wish Maine CEO Brian Franks (WGME)
Make-A-Wish Maine has granted more than 2,000 wishes since they started granting wishes more than 30 years ago, and their hope is to reach every eligible child in Maine who is battling a critical illness.
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Politics1 week agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book