Connect with us

Northeast

Haitian man indicted for sexual assault at Massachusetts migrant shelter arraigned on child rape charges

Published

on

Haitian man indicted for sexual assault at Massachusetts migrant shelter arraigned on child rape charges

A Haitian man living in a Massachusetts hotel used for housing migrants was arraigned on child rape charges after raping a 15-year-old girl.

Cory B. Alvarez, 26, of Haiti, pleaded not guilty on Friday in Brockton Superior Court to the charges of aggravated rape of a child with a 10-year age difference and rape of a child by force, Plymouth County District Attorney Tim Cruz said in a statement.

In March, a Massachusetts court ruled Alvarez to be dangerous after his arrest on March 13. 

Prosecutors can request a dangerousness order if they believe a person is a danger to the community. Under Massachusetts law, the defendant can be held without bail for up to 120 days if they lose the hearing, though they have the right to appeal the decision.

MASSACHUSETTS POLICE ARREST MAN LIVING IN HOTEL HOUSING MIGRANTS AFTER ALLEGEDLY RAPING TEENAGE GIRL

Advertisement

Cory B. Alvarez allegedly raped a teenage girl at a motel where they lived. Alvarez entered the U.S. lawfully in 2023 in New York City.  (Fox News)

He currently remains held without bail, Cruz said.

The judge also prohibited Alvarez from contacting the victim and ordered the defendant to surrender his passport.

The Comfort Inn at 850 Hingham Street in Rockland, Massachusetts is part of a state/federal program to house migrants. (Google Maps)

Law enforcement were called to a Comfort Inn in Rockland at approximately 7:06 p.m. on March 13 for reports of a sexual assault.

Advertisement

The hotel participates in a state and federal program to house migrant families, and Alvarez lived at the hotel.

MIGRANT CHILDREN IN MASSACHUSETTS LIVED AMONG SEX PREDATORS AS DEM GOVERNOR CLAIMED SHELTERS ‘VETTED’: REPORT

When officers arrived, they spoke with the victim, who was taken to the South Shore Hospital to be treated.

The teen told law enforcement that she went into Alvarez’s room after he offered to help her with her tablet before he forced himself on her.

This undated image shows Cory Alvarez, charged with aggravated rape of a child.  (Fox News)

Advertisement

As a result of their investigation, Rockland police developed probable cause to arrest Alvarez, and he was taken into custody.

Alvarez is next scheduled to appear in court on June 11.

Massachusetts Governor Maura Healey pauses to look at the Army cots set up on the gym floor as State and local officials toured the Melnea A. Cass Recreational Complex. (Getty Images)

Following Alvarez’s arrest, Gov. Maura Healey assured residents that “everybody” entering the migrant housing was thoroughly “vetted.”

“Everybody, including him, who enters our shelter locations is vetted,” she told reporters in March.

Advertisement

The migrant crisis has been an ongoing crisis for Massachusetts. 

The state’s newest emergency shelter, located in Roxbury, a neighborhood in Boston, reached its capacity of 400 people in just one week last month. 

New York City, Chicago and the state of New York all made emergency declarations last year and called for help in response to the migrant crisis.

Fox News Digital has reached out to Healey’s office for comment.

Advertisement

Fox News Digital’s Greg Wehner contributed to this report. 



Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Boston, MA

Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider

Published

on

Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider


As the Boston Red Sox struggle with offense like never before, the trade deadline seems to be zooming forward quicker than ever.

Though they scored six runs on Friday night and seven in a game earlier this week, the Red Sox still rank 29th in both runs scored and home runs out of the 30 Major League Baseball teams. The American League is weak, which means their 22-28 record hasn’t yet sunk their ship, but if they’re going to make any noise whatsoever this year, they’ll need more offense.

It’s no secret that trade talks have been happening across the league at a faster pace than usual for May. CEO Sam Kennedy said on WEEI this week that the Red Sox were looking to add offense. But they’ve also got some baseline criteria that The Athletic’s Jen McCaffrey reported on Saturday.

Advertisement

If you like our content, choose Sports Illustrated as a preferred source on Google.

Red Sox looking for right-handed bats

Advertisement

May 7, 2026; Boston, Massachusetts, USA; Boston Red Sox third baseman Caleb Durbin (5) hits an RBI single against the Tampa Bay Rays during the second inning at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Gregory Fisher-Imagn Images | Gregory Fisher-Imagn Images

Advertisement

According to McCaffrey, the Red Sox’s preference is to add a right-handed bat, with position being something of an afterthought. The team’s weakest offensive positions thus far have been all over the infield, excluding first base, catcher, and left field.

“What caliber of bat and what the Red Sox would be willing to trade in return remain the biggest questions,” wrote McCaffrey.

“While an immediate trade is unlikely, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow has shown early aggressiveness before. He traded Rafael Devers, one of the team’s most productive hitters, to the San Francisco Giants in a stunning deal on June 15, 2025.”

A sneaky dream target for Boston

Advertisement

May 22, 2026; Anaheim, California, USA; Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto (9) watches the flight of the ball on his second solo home run of the game in the eighth inning against the Texas Rangers at Angel Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images | Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

While we don’t yet know every player available across the league, a few teams have fallen out of the race. We could examine a few trade candidates and their fits with the Red Sox, but because the preference is for a righty, a name to circle (maybe just in pencil) is Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto.

Advertisement

The Red Sox were known to be high on Neto in the offseason, but ultimately couldn’t get a deal done. It didn’t sound like things were particularly close to getting across the finish line. But the Angels, who have started the season a ghastly 18-34, have to at least be considering a total sell-off.

Advertisement

Neto, 25, has rebounded from a slow start to post a 115 OPS+ in the earlygoing this season. The real question is whether the Angels see him as too valuable to let go this soon, but they’re not going to get a better package for him in the future than they would now.

Just food for thought, not a report that the Red Sox are back on Neto’s tail. It’s a fit that would make sense as long as Trevor Story can’t be depended upon, and Neto could easily move infield positions someday as well.

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

Reporter Confused By Pittsburgh’s Quarterback Plan: ‘Hamster Wheel’

Published

on

Reporter Confused By Pittsburgh’s Quarterback Plan: ‘Hamster Wheel’


Aditi Kinkhabwala is just as confused about the Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback situation as much of its fan base. She sees the franchise, even with all its offseason changes, running in place for another year.

Appearing on Jason La Canfora’s podcast for the BigPlay network, Kinkhabwala has trouble sussing out Pittsburgh’s plan.

“So Mike McCarthy’s opening press conference is raving about Will Howard,” she told La Canfora. “Even Aaron Rogers is raving about Will Howard. But nope, we’re not gonna see Will Howard.

“Drew Allar, they used a third-round pick on him. At the combine, Drew Allar told me that no coach put him on the board more extensively or more thoroughly than Mike McCarthy did. Clearly, McCarthy has had some interest in Drew Allar for some time. Is intrigued by this young player…so you’ve now got two young guys that you claim, you feel so strongly about their potential, but you don’t wanna see either of them.”

Advertisement

Aaron Rodgers’ return closed the door on any chance of Howard or Allar seeing immediate playing time this regular season. Now, it’ll take a Rodgers’ injury or total collapse of the year for either, more likely Howard, to see the field. Pittsburgh could go through most of the season learning little about Howard and Allar, leaving the franchise in the dark for its 2027 quarterback decisions.

Pittsburgh believes Rodgers gives the team the best chance to win now. But that may only get the Steelers so far.

“You’re gonna try to back in the playoffs once again, potentially lose in the first round, pick in the twenties and not get a quarterback, and not know if you have a quarterback in Will Howard or Drew Allar. Run it back. Treadmill, hamster wheel.”

A valid and real concern. Pittsburgh has a roster good enough to win 9 or 10 games, but few anticipate a deep playoff run. It could leave the Steelers as stuck and stagnant as they were during Mike Tomlin’s final seasons.

Pittsburgh hopes to learn plenty about Howard and Allar this season. Bringing Rodgers in may also be an admission that neither young quarterback is ready. Neither have taken an in-stadium snap and Allar’s game needs plenty of work, as his bumpy OTA play reminded. But to Kinkhabwala’s point, the 2026 season might not shed much light on Pittsburgh’s best options going forward, which could lead to an offseason with more questions than answers.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

Overnight forecast for May 23

Published

on

Overnight forecast for May 23



Copyright © 2026 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending