Connect with us

Connecticut

Fairfield police cancel Jennings Beach Carnival over public safety concerns

Published

on

Fairfield police cancel Jennings Beach Carnival over public safety concerns


Fairfield police announced that the Jennings Beach Carnival has been canceled for Saturday and Sunday.

The department made the announcement on their Facebook page and cited public safety concerns during Friday night’s event.

According to police, officers were called in large numbers, with help from the Bridgeport Police Department, to manage “unusually large and disorderly crowds.” Police said the crowd was made up mostly of unsupervised juveniles.

Police said that throughout Friday evening, there were multiple incidents where attendees believed shots had been fired or that fights had broken out, which led to “panic, chaos, and crowd surges.”

Advertisement

Officers who were at the scene already looked into the reports and found no evidence that shots had been fired.

According to police, the size and movement of the crowds caused some families to be separated and required officers to reconnect parents with their children. Police said they also got numerous reports of fights and disturbances in different areas of the Jennings Beach grounds and parking lots.

Large groups also began running in multiple directions, including some into surrounding neighborhoods, police said. Crowds numbering in the hundreds also gathered at the Chick-fil-A and surrounding businesses, where other fights broke out, and people illegally congregated, needing more police and help from the Connecticut State Police.

Police said the decision to cancel the carnival was made in the interest of public safety and supported by the McKindley PTA, which sponsored the carnival.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Connecticut

Where to watch Connecticut Sun vs Portland Fire on May 18: TV channel, start time and streaming

Published

on


The WNBA has returned with a brand new collective bargaining agreement and a league full of loaded rosters as the 2026 season tips off.

A rookie class headlined by Dallas Wings top pick Azzi Fudd, Minnesota’s Olivia Miles and Washington’s Lauren Betts is ready to make a mark in the pros while the defending champion Las Vegas Aces look to keep their dynasty alive with a fourth title in five years.

As the the season gets going under a new media rights deal, it can be tough to figure out which channel each team is playing on every night. Here’s everything you need to know to tune in when the Portland Fire host the Connecticut Sun on Monday.

What time is Connecticut Sun vs Portland Fire?

Tip off between the Portland Fire and Connecticut Sun is scheduled for 10 p.m. (ET) on Monday, May 18.

Advertisement

How to watch Connecticut Sun vs Portland Fire on Monday

All times Eastern and accurate as of Monday, May 18, 2026, at 6:08 a.m.

Watch the WNBA all season on Fubo

WNBA scores and results

See scores, results for all of today’s games .

See WNBA scores, results from May 17

Odds for WNBA games today

The latest WNBA odds can be found below from the best sports betting apps . Some odds may include games scheduled on future dates.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

22-year-old man dies after crash on I-84 in Middlebury

Published

on

22-year-old man dies after crash on I-84 in Middlebury


MIDDLEBURY, Conn. (WTNH) — A 22-year-old man is dead after a crash on Interstate 84 in Middlebury on Saturday, Connecticut State Police say.

Crews from Troop A. responded to the scene between exits 16 and 17 on the Eastbound side at about 3:45 a.m. for reports of a two-car crash.

The both cars were traveling in the center lane near the South Street Bridge when the second car rear ended the first. The driver of the second car died as a result of the crash.

Connecticut State Police have identified the victim as 22-year-old James Hannan of Farmington.

Advertisement

Any witnesses to the collision are requested to contact Trooper James Perazzella #762 at (203)267-2200 or james.perazzella@ct.gov. The collision remains under investigation.



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

At least 50 people charged with animal cruelty in ‘significant’ police operation in Tolland Saturday

Published

on

At least 50 people charged with animal cruelty in ‘significant’ police operation in Tolland Saturday


TOLLAND, Conn. (WTNH) — Tolland Town Manager Brian Foley has shared more information about a “significant” police operation on Saturday which resulted in at least 50 people being charged with animal cruelty.

According to Foley, a criminal investigation operation involving Connecticut State Police and the Connecticut Department of Agriculture took place on Saturday in connection to an alleged large-scale “cockfighting” event at a secluded quarry off Mountain Spring Road that has been inactive for more than a decade.

A “significant number of arrests” took place on Saturday and at least 50 people were charged with animal cruelty. Hundreds of birds were found by investigators and “significant evidence” was recovered, according to Foley.

“While this type of event is shocking, yesterday’s operation demonstrated clearly that the Town of Tolland is not the place to attempt this type of criminal activity. Our law enforcement partners made that abundantly clear,” he said. “Animal cruelty of this type or any kind will never be tolerated in the Town of Tolland.”

Advertisement

This is a developing story, stay with News 8 for updates


Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.

Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending