Connecticut
CT ‘baby bonds’ program discussed at Federal Reserve conference
Connecticut officials joined advocates and researchers at the Federal Reserve on Thursday to talk about the state’s trailblazing ‘baby bonds’ program, and how it might ultimately serve as a proving ground for efforts around the country.
The program, which launched in July 2024, invests $3,200 on behalf of babies enrolled in Connecticut’s Medicaid program, HUSKY. More than half the babies born in Connecticut are to mothers on Medicaid, and around 15,600 babies are expected by be enrolled in the program annually. Eligible participants live in every one of the state’s cities and towns.
Connecticut is so far unique in passing sustained, state-level support for the concept, but small experiments are popping up around the country, including one through private philanthropy in Georgia and a temporary program for children in foster care in California who were impacted by COVID. Several other states, including New Jersey and Massachusetts, are considering baby bonds-type programs.
The conference Thursday kicked off with a conversation between Connecticut State Treasurer Erick Russell and Darrick Hamilton, a professor at The New School and an economist who is credited with helping to create the concept. They discussed Connecticut’s first in the nation program, and how it may be planting the seeds of a national movement.
“We’re building political momentum, we start local,” said Hamilton, who is the founding director of the Institute on Race, Power and Political Economy at The New School. “But at the end of the day, to make this come into fruition, we’ve really got to get the federal government involved to ensure that all children of the United States will be able to get into that vehicle of wealth building.”
Russell spoke about his childhood growing up in New Haven, sweeping the floor and working the register after school at his parents’ store. No one he knew as a kid owned their own home and working paycheck to paycheck was a way of life.
Russell said he is trying to end poverty in Connecticut, and baby bonds are but one of many strategies required to achieve that goal.
“We understand that baby bonds, by itself, is not the solution to that problem,” Russell said. “This is a piece to the puzzle as we continue to make key investments in things like education and early child care and bringing down the cost of housing.”
Baby bonds can provide funds for a down payment on a home, money to open a business or pay for school. But officials said the existence of the funds may also help in less obvious ways: baby bonds can encourage a family to imagine a child’s future and plan for it. The funds could stave off gentrification by creating a cohort of people who are able to cash in at around the same time and even pool resources to support their neighborhood. And they help link parents to state supports through a positive vehicle.
“There’s a huge lack of trust between members of the community and government,” Russell said. “Now we actually have this positive way of connecting with people, right? Connecting with parents who are saying, ‘My child is going to have access to this resource and this opportunity that I could have never imagined.’”
A recipient must be between 18 and 30 years old to use the funds, pass a financial literacy test, and be a Connecticut resident. That money is expected to eventually be worth at least $11,000 and as much as $24,000, depending when the recipient chooses to cash in the bond.
Though the initiative received strong support from many political leaders, Gov. Ned Lamont nearly killed the program in 2023. The decision to draw from a surplus in Connecticut’s special reserve fund instead of borrowing money, as was originally planned, allowed Lamont and Russell to reach a compromise and the program was finally launched in July 2023. In fact, as Russell mentioned during the conference, the so-called baby bonds ended up not being bonds at all.
At Thursday’s event, the history of political infighting wasn’t discussed. Rather, advocates and researchers focused on the promise of the program and the synergy with another initiative: ‘guaranteed income.’
Stanford University researchers Max Rong and David Grusky explained why, based on their research modeling, simultaneously offering families guaranteed income and baby bonds may be a superior approach to offering a more generous version of only one of these programs.
The researchers said that guaranteed income can prove meaningful to help families from falling into poverty, relieving the stress of financial pressure from caregivers so they can form healthy attachments with their children and afford day to day expenses that keep them healthy and safe. However, just providing that cash is unlikely to allow a family to save the kind of money they need to ultimately open a business, buy a home, afford higher education and ultimately build generational wealth. On the other hand, a single infusion of money — a cashed-in baby bond— cannot undo years of underinvestment.
“You might think it doesn’t matter if you just do one or the other,” Grusky said. “What this suggests is that, given data about how the world works, you actually need both.”
Laura Clancy, the executive director of The Bridge Project, a guaranteed income program for new moms which recently launched in Connecticut, asked the room to simply trust mothers, who tend to have good judgment about what their kids need. She ended her panel by encouraging the audience to consider the power of imagination in initiatives like baby bonds and guaranteed income, and how thinking outside the box might help us upend the inequities we take for granted.
“What have we come to accept that is unacceptable?” she asked.
Connecticut
3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden
MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — On Thursday, the City of Meriden remembered those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Law enforcement gathered for the Connecticut Law Enforcement Ceremony, where three names were added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.
New London Police Sgt. Frank Linehan, who died in 1950 while performing his duties, will be added to the memorial.
Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Donald Kleber will also be added, after he died in 2024 from exposure to Ground Zero after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.
The final name to be added was Yale officer Gregory Swaintek, who died on the job last year.
To learn more about the memorial, visit the foundation’s website here.
Connecticut
Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer
HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Eversource customers in Connecticut may see a double-digit rate hike next summer.
The electric company filed a letter of intent on Wednesday seeking a rate hike of about 11% across all customer classes and about 13% for residential customers. If the distribution rate is approved as proposed, it would begin on July 1, 2027.
A spokesperson for Eversource said the letter of intent details an annual operating revenue deficiency of about $503 million, not including storm costs between 2018 and 2023.
The economy, inflation, supply chain challenges and other factors increased equipment costs and materials across the utility industry, according to Eversource.
To maintain the level of “affordable reliability and resiliency” customers expect, an increased investment is needed, an Eversource spokesperson said.
Read the full letter of intent below:
The letter of intent is the first step in requesting that regulators review and adjust distribution rates to reflect the modern cost of maintaining electric systems and services.
Eversource Spokesperson Sarah Paduano’s full statement on Wednesday read:
“Today we submitted a letter of intent (LOI) to file a distribution rate review for our electric operations – the first in nearly a decade. Over the last 10 years, customers have experienced increased reliability as a direct result of our strategic investments in the electric system, and increased investment is needed to maintain the level of affordable reliability and resiliency that customers have come to expect.
The LOI is standard procedure and submitted prior to filing the actual rate review application. This is the first step in the process to request regulators review and adjust current distribution rates to better reflect the cost of maintaining the electric system and safely delivering power to customers across Connecticut. Our LOI details an operating revenue deficiency of approximately $503 million annually, which excludes 2018-2023 storm costs. If approved as proposed, the average increase would be approximately 11% across all customer classes and approximately 13% for residential customers starting July 1, 2027.
Our storm costs are currently being evaluated by PURA in a separate docket, and we are hopeful regulators will authorize securitization for those costs, which is a specialized financing method that will allow those costs to be recovered over a much longer timeframe of 20 years and at a lower interest rate compared to the traditional six year recovery. If securitization is approved, this will substantially lower bill impacts for customers and allow us to keep the full amount of storm costs from our rate review application.“
Connecticut Attorney General William Tong released the following statement Wednesday in response to the proposed rate increase:
“Connecticut families are getting crushed by unaffordable energy costs while Eversource executives crow to Wall Street over surging profits and rake in multimillion dollar bonuses. But they choose now to demand hundreds of millions of dollars more. Why? Because after years of litigation and lobbying, they finally ran their chief regulator out of town. They want a rate hike now not because they need one, but because they think they can get away with it. We’re going to scrutinize every profit, every bonus, every perk and every padded expense in their application and we’re going to be fighting for Connecticut families and small businesses at every step of this process.”
Paduano said there are no CEO, CFO, or company president salaries or variable pay included in the proposed rate request.
Consumer Counsel Claire E. Coleman also released the following statement on Wednesday on the rate filing:
“A letter of intent is the first step in the rate case process, where a company notifies regulators that it intends to seek a rate increase. Eversource will now have up to 60 days to file a full application, formally triggering what is expected to be one of the most consequential utility review proceedings in years. Once filed, OCC will aggressively scrutinize the company’s request, conduct discovery, cross examine Eversource witnesses, and present recommendations to PURA to ensure customers are not asked to pay for anything beyond the most necessary and cost-effective investments. My office will prioritize keeping costs as low as possible for consumers already struggling with affordability challenges, while promoting critical infrastructure, cybersecurity, consumer protections, and overall system reliability. Because Eversource has not undergone a rate review since 2018, this case will provide the first real opportunity in years to thoroughly examine the company’s operations, spending decisions, and priorities under a microscope. This process will also provide multiple opportunities for members of the public, community organizations, and elected officials to participate through public hearings and written comments submitted into the record. OCC strongly encourages consumers to stay engaged throughout the proceeding and to visit our website or contact our office directly for information on how to participate.”
Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.
Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.
Connecticut
Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search
(WFSB) – The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities Board of Regents met to discuss the search for an interim chancellor.
The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, with nearly the entire time spent in executive session. Before the board adjourned, they said no action was taken that needed to be publicly addressed.
The board elected a temporary chair who almost immediately moved to make the discussion private.
“The board will now go into executive session to discuss preliminary drafts and notes as well as personnel matters,” said Ari Santiago, Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities.
The meeting comes after the former chancellor, his replacement and the board chair stepped down in the last year amid controversies.
Last spring, former Chancellor Terrence Cheng was made a special advisor to the board after a state audit found thousands of dollars worth of questionable spending like travel and entertainment.
John Maduko was then named interim chancellor. Last month, he was put on administrative leave and then resigned. Documents obtained found Maduko was under investigation for sexual harassment.
This week, Board of Regents Chair Marty Guay resigned. In the complaint filed against Maduko, a woman says she did not report the harassment sooner because she says Guay told her he previously fired a woman for filing a sexual assault complaint.
Karen Bufkin, CSCU’s general counsel, is currently leading the system. She was part of the meeting.
Governor Ned Lamont says he plans to appoint a new chair for the Board of Regents by the end of this week.
Copyright 2026 WFSB. All rights reserved.
-
Finance1 minute agoSpecial meeting set for swearing-in of Magnolia finance officer and town clerk
-
Fitness7 minutes agoI’m a strength coach – this exercise ‘looks easy’ but do it right, and you’ll have stronger obliques and better core stability
-
Movie Reviews19 minutes ago‘Ladies First’ Review: Sacha Baron Cohen and Rosamund Pike in a Netflix Comedy That’s High-Concept but Hopelessly Predictable
-
World31 minutes ago
A look at the Hajj pilgrimage and Eid al-Adha and their significance to Muslims around the world
-
News37 minutes agoVideo: Thousands Attend Prayer Service for San Diego Mosque Attack Victims
-
Politics43 minutes agoVideo: Trump Settled a Case With Himself. Was That Legal?
-
Lifestyle1 hour ago‘Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu’ may not be the way : Pop Culture Happy Hour
-
Technology2 hours agoAnker’s new earbuds’ call quality is ridiculously good