Connect with us

Connecticut

Connecticut town baffled after baby seal discovered outside oyster bar in middle of road… 20 miles from ocean

Published

on

Connecticut town baffled after baby seal discovered outside oyster bar in middle of road… 20 miles from ocean


Advertisement

A baby seal was found wandering the streets of Connecticut town roughly 20 miles away from the ocean, baffling the entire community.

The seal, believed to be about five or six weeks old, was discovered just outside on oyster bar in the middle of Chapel Street near East Street in New Haven.

New Haven police got the call on Sunday, and one officer described just how strange it was to see the sea creature just wandering around on land.

Police blocked off the area where the seal was found until the state’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) and representatives from Mystic Aquarium arrived to deal with the unusual situation.

‘I’m sure they thought it was a joke, but it was not,’ New Haven Police Officer Christian Bruckhart told WTNH. ‘It was a seal in the street.’

Advertisement

‘We don’t know why it was here,’ Bruckhart added. ‘I assumed it was for the clam pizza.’

The police department also posted a hilarious pictured of the seal sitting on the pavement right next to a squad car, writing: ‘Meet the newest addition to the department!’

Pictured: The baby seal was seen in the middle of a New Haven street right next to a police car

The seal, believed to be about five or six weeks old, was discovered in the middle of Chapel Street near East Street in New Haven

The seal, believed to be about five or six weeks old, was discovered in the middle of Chapel Street near East Street in New Haven

Advertisement

The coastal city is right on the Long Island Sound, but that body of water – which has been becoming home to more seals in last ten years – isn’t technically considered the ocean.

Mystic Aquarium animal rescue technician Francesca Battaglia told the local outlet that the aquarium’s rescue team had already tried to relocate the animal.

They spotted it Branford last week and on Saturday, he was seen next to Shell & Bones Oyster Bar and Grill on South Water Street in New Haven, which is particularly fitting seeing as oysters are a crucial part of a seal’s diet.

‘It definitely was concerning for us when we say he was amidst all that hustle and bustle of the city,’ Battaglia said. 

‘We were like, he’s still bright and alert and looking good,’ she added. ‘Maybe we can just relocate him to a safe beach, and so our team did do that. But then, unfortunately, the next day, he showed back up in the middle of the city there.’ 

Advertisement

The aquarium, roughly 55 miles from New Haven, will be taking custody of the baby seal and revealed that the animal was severely underweight at just 28 pounds.

Newborns typically weigh about 35 pounds and nurse on a high-fat milk diet for about three weeks, according to the aquarium.

Technicians said he was found in a lethargic and dehydrated state, which is why they’ll work to nurse him back to health.

‘It was a very interesting call. It’s not a typical scenario where we get a seal that is just roaming around busy streets where it’s obviously not safe,’ Battaglia said to FOX 61.

The seal is pictured at Mystic Aquarium, which is about 55 miles from New Haven where it was discovered over the weekend

Advertisement

The seal began fluid therapy as part of its individualized treatment plan. He will be fed with a diluted fish formula that will provide him with nutrition to grow and get healthier.

‘He’s gonna get his individualized treatment plan to make sure he’s working through any illness he may have and we gotta put some weight on him because he’s very underweight, he’s very thin,’ Battaglia said.

The ultimate goal is to reintroduce the seal to the wild, which could take weeks or even months before he is healthy enough, the aquarium said. 

The aquarium also told FOX 61 that technicians are closing monitoring the seal’s behavior. They believe the creature could keep coming out of the water because he is too comfortable with humans.

Gray seals are federally protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which makes it illegal to hunt or import them.

Advertisement

Advertisement



Source link

Connecticut

3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden

Published

on

3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden


MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — On Thursday, the City of Meriden remembered those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Law enforcement gathered for the Connecticut Law Enforcement Ceremony, where three names were added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.

New London Police Sgt. Frank Linehan, who died in 1950 while performing his duties, will be added to the memorial.

Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Donald Kleber will also be added, after he died in 2024 from exposure to Ground Zero after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.

Advertisement

The final name to be added was Yale officer Gregory Swaintek, who died on the job last year.

To learn more about the memorial, visit the foundation’s website here.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer

Published

on

Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer


HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Eversource customers in Connecticut may see a double-digit rate hike next summer.

The electric company filed a letter of intent on Wednesday seeking a rate hike of about 11% across all customer classes and about 13% for residential customers. If the distribution rate is approved as proposed, it would begin on July 1, 2027.

A spokesperson for Eversource said the letter of intent details an annual operating revenue deficiency of about $503 million, not including storm costs between 2018 and 2023.

The economy, inflation, supply chain challenges and other factors increased equipment costs and materials across the utility industry, according to Eversource.

Advertisement

To maintain the level of “affordable reliability and resiliency” customers expect, an increased investment is needed, an Eversource spokesperson said.

Read the full letter of intent below:

The letter of intent is the first step in requesting that regulators review and adjust distribution rates to reflect the modern cost of maintaining electric systems and services.

Eversource Spokesperson Sarah Paduano’s full statement on Wednesday read:

“Today we submitted a letter of intent (LOI) to file a distribution rate review for our electric operations – the first in nearly a decade. Over the last 10 years, customers have experienced increased reliability as a direct result of our strategic investments in the electric system, and increased investment is needed to maintain the level of affordable reliability and resiliency that customers have come to expect. 

Advertisement

The LOI is standard procedure and submitted prior to filing the actual rate review application. This is the first step in the process to request regulators review and adjust current distribution rates to better reflect the cost of maintaining the electric system and safely delivering power to customers across Connecticut. Our LOI details an operating revenue deficiency of approximately $503 million annually, which excludes 2018-2023 storm costs. If approved as proposed, the average increase would be approximately 11% across all customer classes and approximately 13% for residential customers starting July 1, 2027.

Our storm costs are currently being evaluated by PURA in a separate docket, and we are hopeful regulators will authorize securitization for those costs, which is a specialized financing method that will allow those costs to be recovered over a much longer timeframe of 20 years and at a lower interest rate compared to the traditional six year recovery. If securitization is approved, this will substantially lower bill impacts for customers and allow us to keep the full amount of storm costs from our rate review application.

Connecticut Attorney General William Tong released the following statement Wednesday in response to the proposed rate increase:

“Connecticut families are getting crushed by unaffordable energy costs while Eversource executives crow to Wall Street over surging profits and rake in multimillion dollar bonuses. But they choose now to demand hundreds of millions of dollars more. Why? Because after years of litigation and lobbying, they finally ran their chief regulator out of town. They want a rate hike now not because they need one, but because they think they can get away with it. We’re going to scrutinize every profit, every bonus, every perk and every padded expense in their application and we’re going to be fighting for Connecticut families and small businesses at every step of this process.”

Paduano said there are no CEO, CFO, or company president salaries or variable pay included in the proposed rate request.

Advertisement

Consumer Counsel Claire E. Coleman also released the following statement on Wednesday on the rate filing:

“A letter of intent is the first step in the rate case process, where a company notifies regulators that it intends to seek a rate increase. Eversource will now have up to 60 days to file a full application, formally triggering what is expected to be one of the most consequential utility review proceedings in years. Once filed, OCC will aggressively scrutinize the company’s request, conduct discovery, cross examine Eversource witnesses, and present recommendations to PURA to ensure customers are not asked to pay for anything beyond the most necessary and cost-effective investments. My office will prioritize keeping  costs as low as possible for consumers already struggling with affordability challenges, while promoting critical infrastructure, cybersecurity, consumer protections, and overall system reliability. Because Eversource has not undergone a rate review since 2018, this case will provide the first real opportunity in years to thoroughly examine the company’s operations, spending decisions, and priorities under a microscope. This process will also provide multiple opportunities for members of the public, community organizations, and elected officials to participate through public hearings and written comments submitted into the record. OCC strongly encourages consumers to stay engaged throughout the proceeding and to visit our website or contact our office directly for information on how to participate.”


Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.

Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search

Published

on

Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search


(WFSB) – The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities Board of Regents met to discuss the search for an interim chancellor.

The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, with nearly the entire time spent in executive session. Before the board adjourned, they said no action was taken that needed to be publicly addressed.

The board elected a temporary chair who almost immediately moved to make the discussion private.

“The board will now go into executive session to discuss preliminary drafts and notes as well as personnel matters,” said Ari Santiago, Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities.

Advertisement

The meeting comes after the former chancellor, his replacement and the board chair stepped down in the last year amid controversies.

Last spring, former Chancellor Terrence Cheng was made a special advisor to the board after a state audit found thousands of dollars worth of questionable spending like travel and entertainment.

John Maduko was then named interim chancellor. Last month, he was put on administrative leave and then resigned. Documents obtained found Maduko was under investigation for sexual harassment.

This week, Board of Regents Chair Marty Guay resigned. In the complaint filed against Maduko, a woman says she did not report the harassment sooner because she says Guay told her he previously fired a woman for filing a sexual assault complaint.

Karen Bufkin, CSCU’s general counsel, is currently leading the system. She was part of the meeting.

Advertisement

Governor Ned Lamont says he plans to appoint a new chair for the Board of Regents by the end of this week.

Copyright 2026 WFSB. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending