Boston, MA
Springfield’s Peter Pan Bus Lines takes over Megabus service from Boston to D.C.
SPRINGFIELD — Peter Pan Bus Lines is taking over Megabus routes in the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states stretching from Boston to New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and points in between.
“It’s a big deal for us,” Peter A. Picknelly, chairman and CEO of Peter Pan Bus Lines.
The move doubles Peter Pan’s operations along the busy northeastern corridor, Picknelly said. Before the changes, Peter Pan offered 14 trips each way every day between Boston and Washington, D.C. Starting at midnight Thursday into Friday, that becomes 28 trips.
In the past, Peter Pan has operated only from about 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Starting Friday, it’s a 24-hour operation, said Picknelly, who is the third-generation leader of the company.
The expansion also requires new drivers and 45 new buses at $635,000 each.
“We’re modernizing our fleet, which is what our consumers want: They want a nice, clean, modern bus. We listen to our customers — where they want to go — and expand where it makes sense. We’re hiring drivers left and right,” Picknelly said.
With the expansion, the company has hired 35 driver and has plans to add even more. Also, Picknelly said Peter Pan will add more mechanics and maintenance people along the corridor to support the new operations.
“It’s a great opportunity for Peter Pan,” he said.
Megabus owner Coach USA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in June, according to published reports.
Peter Pan had already taken over Megabus routes in Boston, Picknelly said.
In preparation, Peter Pan has reduced fares by close to 40%.
Megabus’ parent company will continue to operate commuter lines in and around New York City.
The Megabus website will still be active selling tickets, Picknelly said. But starting Friday those tickets will be for Peter Pan-run buses.
Most of the destinations are places Peer Pan has long served, he said. But Peter Pan is adding two new cities: one in the Philadelphia suburbs and White Marsh, Maryland, in the Baltimore suburbs where Megabus had a major presence.
“It’s a substantial opportunity for us,” Picknelly said. “We’re looking forward to many customers riding with us for the first time.”
Picknelly said travelers are choosing buses because of their cost and frequent service.
Boston, MA
Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider
As the Boston Red Sox struggle with offense like never before, the trade deadline seems to be zooming forward quicker than ever.
Though they scored six runs on Friday night and seven in a game earlier this week, the Red Sox still rank 29th in both runs scored and home runs out of the 30 Major League Baseball teams. The American League is weak, which means their 22-28 record hasn’t yet sunk their ship, but if they’re going to make any noise whatsoever this year, they’ll need more offense.
It’s no secret that trade talks have been happening across the league at a faster pace than usual for May. CEO Sam Kennedy said on WEEI this week that the Red Sox were looking to add offense. But they’ve also got some baseline criteria that The Athletic’s Jen McCaffrey reported on Saturday.
If you like our content, choose Sports Illustrated as a preferred source on Google.
Red Sox looking for right-handed bats
According to McCaffrey, the Red Sox’s preference is to add a right-handed bat, with position being something of an afterthought. The team’s weakest offensive positions thus far have been all over the infield, excluding first base, catcher, and left field.
“What caliber of bat and what the Red Sox would be willing to trade in return remain the biggest questions,” wrote McCaffrey.
“While an immediate trade is unlikely, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow has shown early aggressiveness before. He traded Rafael Devers, one of the team’s most productive hitters, to the San Francisco Giants in a stunning deal on June 15, 2025.”
A sneaky dream target for Boston
While we don’t yet know every player available across the league, a few teams have fallen out of the race. We could examine a few trade candidates and their fits with the Red Sox, but because the preference is for a righty, a name to circle (maybe just in pencil) is Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto.
The Red Sox were known to be high on Neto in the offseason, but ultimately couldn’t get a deal done. It didn’t sound like things were particularly close to getting across the finish line. But the Angels, who have started the season a ghastly 18-34, have to at least be considering a total sell-off.
Neto, 25, has rebounded from a slow start to post a 115 OPS+ in the earlygoing this season. The real question is whether the Angels see him as too valuable to let go this soon, but they’re not going to get a better package for him in the future than they would now.
Just food for thought, not a report that the Red Sox are back on Neto’s tail. It’s a fit that would make sense as long as Trevor Story can’t be depended upon, and Neto could easily move infield positions someday as well.
Follow
Boston, MA
Second suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston
A West Yarmouth, Massachusetts man has been charged in connection with a pair of armed bank robberies in Boston last month.
Federal prosecutors say 25-year-old Angel Gonzalez brandished a firearm during the robberies at a Santander Bank branch in Roxbury and a TD Bank branch in Roslindale on April 28. His alleged accomplice, Steven Harris, was charged with armed bank robbery earlier this month and remains in federal custody.
During the first robbery in Roxbury, Gonzalez allegedly dragged an employee from her office to the teller window, held her at gunpoint and threatened shoot her.
Less than two hours later, Gonzalez and Harris allegedly robbed the TD Bank in Roslindale. Prosecutors say Harris moved multiple employees from their offices to the main area of the bank, while Gonzalez threatened to shoot them if they did not comply. Gonzales then allegedly took $3,000 from a teller drawer before they left in a getaway vehicle.
Radek Weirdeowski was inside the Roslindale bank at the time of the robbery, and told WBZ-TV it happened so quickly. “While one guy was at the teller with the gun, the other guy was kind of rounding everyone else up,” he said. “And I thought we would all get robbed as well. But fortunately, they just took the bank’s money and took off.”
Gonzalez is charged with armed bank robbery and is currently in state custody in connection with unrelated offenses. He will make his initial appearance in federal court at a later date.
Boston, MA
Dorchester shooting leaves young man dead
A young man was shot and killed in Boston early Friday morning
The shooting near 260 Bowdoin St. in Dorchester was caught on surveillance video that showed a group of people running and ducking for cover behind cars in a parking lot.
Boston police confirmed one person died in the shooting, which happened at about 1 a.m. Family members identified the victim as 21-year-old Giovanni Bala. They lit candles with messages written on them, remembering Bala as a loving and caring person.
“It’s a sad situation. I’ve never seen this happen in this area before,” said Oral Pierre, the manager of One Family Diner.
The restaurant’s cameras captured the shooting and the chaos that followed. Pierre has worked at his family’s restaurant for 20 years and was shocked to see the large crime scene when he got to work Friday morning.
“We saw in the parking lot two cars with bullet holes,” he said. “And when I get the video I saw about 15 people in the parking lot just running and shooting.”
Police shut down the area of Bowdoin and Hamilton streets with crime tape. Investigators scoured the area with police dogs and three cars were towed from the scene.
Kelvin Bell lives nearby and was upset to see violence in his neighborhood.
“I just heard loud bangs, commotion and sirens,” he said. “I just shook my head and said ‘enough is enough’ with the gun play. Whatever this is isn’t important enough to be taking lives. Trust me, this is not a video game, you can’t press reset.”
The Boston Police homicide unit is investigating. There’s no word on a motive or any arrests.
-
New York22 minutes agoHow Stars From ‘The Morning Show’ and ‘The League’ Keep Their Love Alive
-
Los Angeles, Ca28 minutes agoLos Angeles man charged in Southern California catalytic converter theft spree
-
Detroit, MI52 minutes agoRain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event
-
San Francisco, CA1 hour agoNine runs? NINE runs! White Sox down Giants with one huge inning
-
Dallas, TX1 hour ago11 Dallas neighbors declared best places to live and more top stories
-
Miami, FL1 hour agoDolphins 90 in 90: Tight end Greg Dulcich looking to build in 2026
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoRed Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoRookie LB Red Murdock is anything but Irrelevant and gives the Broncos a tackling and fumble forcing machine
