Connect with us

Boston, MA

Medford couple celebrating 70th anniversary

Published

on

Medford couple celebrating 70th anniversary



Copyright © 2026 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved





Source link

Boston, MA

Man killed after MBTA commuter rail train struck his vehicle at Braintree crossing – The Boston Globe

Published

on

Man killed after MBTA commuter rail train struck his vehicle at Braintree crossing – The Boston Globe


A 58-year-old man was killed Saturday evening after his vehicle was struck by an MBTA commuter rail train at a street crossing in Braintree, officials said.

The collision occurred just before 5 p.m. at the Grove Street crossing, near the Braintree/Weymouth line, according to Transit Police Superintendent Richard Sullivan.

The man, driving a black Jeep Cherokee on West Street, “intentionally” drove around the crossing guard as the train was approaching, Sullivan said.

The man, whose name was not released, was pronounced deceased as a result of injuries sustained in the collision, Sullivan said.

Advertisement

“On behalf of the Transit Police and the entire MBTA organization we offer our most sincere condolences to the victim’s family and friends,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan said the crossing safety arm was deployed and all other safety warnings were activated at the time of the crash.

Braintree police said on social media that Grove Street (in Braintree) and West Street (in Weymouth) would be closed to vehicle traffic Saturday evening due to the collision.

Several commuter rail trains were canceled or delayed Saturday evening because of “police activity on the right of way in the Braintree area,” according to online updates from the MBTA. Two Kingston line trains, the 4:15 p.m. inbound and the 5:20 p.m. outbound, were replaced with shuttle bus service, and one inbound Fairmount line train was cancelled.

The incident is under investigation by Transit Police, as well as the Norfolk district attorney’s office, Sullivan said.

Advertisement

Camilo Fonseca can be reached at camilo.fonseca@globe.com. Follow him on X @fonseca_esq and on Instagram @camilo_fonseca.reports.





Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider

Published

on

Red Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider


As the Boston Red Sox struggle with offense like never before, the trade deadline seems to be zooming forward quicker than ever.

Though they scored six runs on Friday night and seven in a game earlier this week, the Red Sox still rank 29th in both runs scored and home runs out of the 30 Major League Baseball teams. The American League is weak, which means their 22-28 record hasn’t yet sunk their ship, but if they’re going to make any noise whatsoever this year, they’ll need more offense.

It’s no secret that trade talks have been happening across the league at a faster pace than usual for May. CEO Sam Kennedy said on WEEI this week that the Red Sox were looking to add offense. But they’ve also got some baseline criteria that The Athletic’s Jen McCaffrey reported on Saturday.

Advertisement

If you like our content, choose Sports Illustrated as a preferred source on Google.

Red Sox looking for right-handed bats

Advertisement

May 7, 2026; Boston, Massachusetts, USA; Boston Red Sox third baseman Caleb Durbin (5) hits an RBI single against the Tampa Bay Rays during the second inning at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Gregory Fisher-Imagn Images | Gregory Fisher-Imagn Images

Advertisement

According to McCaffrey, the Red Sox’s preference is to add a right-handed bat, with position being something of an afterthought. The team’s weakest offensive positions thus far have been all over the infield, excluding first base, catcher, and left field.

“What caliber of bat and what the Red Sox would be willing to trade in return remain the biggest questions,” wrote McCaffrey.

“While an immediate trade is unlikely, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow has shown early aggressiveness before. He traded Rafael Devers, one of the team’s most productive hitters, to the San Francisco Giants in a stunning deal on June 15, 2025.”

A sneaky dream target for Boston

Advertisement

May 22, 2026; Anaheim, California, USA; Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto (9) watches the flight of the ball on his second solo home run of the game in the eighth inning against the Texas Rangers at Angel Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images | Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

While we don’t yet know every player available across the league, a few teams have fallen out of the race. We could examine a few trade candidates and their fits with the Red Sox, but because the preference is for a righty, a name to circle (maybe just in pencil) is Los Angeles Angels shortstop Zach Neto.

Advertisement

The Red Sox were known to be high on Neto in the offseason, but ultimately couldn’t get a deal done. It didn’t sound like things were particularly close to getting across the finish line. But the Angels, who have started the season a ghastly 18-34, have to at least be considering a total sell-off.

Advertisement

Neto, 25, has rebounded from a slow start to post a 115 OPS+ in the earlygoing this season. The real question is whether the Angels see him as too valuable to let go this soon, but they’re not going to get a better package for him in the future than they would now.

Just food for thought, not a report that the Red Sox are back on Neto’s tail. It’s a fit that would make sense as long as Trevor Story can’t be depended upon, and Neto could easily move infield positions someday as well.

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Second suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston

Published

on

Second suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston



A West Yarmouth, Massachusetts man has been charged in connection with a pair of armed bank robberies in Boston last month.

Federal prosecutors say 25-year-old Angel Gonzalez brandished a firearm during the robberies at a Santander Bank branch in Roxbury and a TD Bank branch in Roslindale on April 28. His alleged accomplice, Steven Harris, was charged with armed bank robbery earlier this month and remains in federal custody.

During the first robbery in Roxbury, Gonzalez allegedly dragged an employee from her office to the teller window, held her at gunpoint and threatened shoot her.

Advertisement

Angel Gonzalez allegedly robbed a Santander Bank branch in Roxbury at gunpoint. 

Department of Justice


Less than two hours later, Gonzalez and Harris allegedly robbed the TD Bank in Roslindale. Prosecutors say Harris moved multiple employees from their offices to the main area of the bank, while Gonzalez threatened to shoot them if they did not comply. Gonzales then allegedly took $3,000 from a teller drawer before they left in a getaway vehicle.  

Radek Weirdeowski was inside the Roslindale bank at the time of the robbery, and told WBZ-TV it happened so quickly. “While one guy was at the teller with the gun, the other guy was kind of rounding everyone else up,” he said. “And I thought we would all get robbed as well. But fortunately, they just took the bank’s money and took off.”

Advertisement

Gonzalez is charged with armed bank robbery and is currently in state custody in connection with unrelated offenses. He will make his initial appearance in federal court at a later date.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending