Boston, MA
Bill Clinton campaigns in NH for Kamala Harris
New Hampshire gave a rousing reception to the “comeback kid” Friday.
Former President Bill Clinton reminisced about campaigns gone by in the Granite State while pivoting to the current 2024 election.
“I love New Hampshire,” said Clinton. “I’m not running for anything. Heck, I’m almost as old as Donald Trump. The thing I’m running for is the future of my grandchildren.”
The 42nd president is the latest in a slew of surrogates to stop in New Hampshire. Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro made his way through on Wednesday.
Nina Jankowicz, whose former role as executive director of the Disinformation Governance Board led to threats against her and her family, has since cofounded the American Sunlight Project. She joins @Issue to talk about the need for people to think critically about the information they take in.
Republicans say they’re perplexed by the string of out-of-staters.
“This campaign is not about all the Washington insiders and swamp creatures, it’s about who’s better for New Hampshire,” said state GOP Chairman Chris Ager.
NBC10 Boston asked Ager if it would help for Trump, one of his family members or a top surrogate to visit the state.
“We’ve actually talked to the campaign, and we’ve said, ‘Our people are already highly motivated. They don’t need external celebrities to get them motivated,’” Ager said.
While they may not see eye-to-eye on much, both sides call this election critical for the country’s future.
“Are you better off now than four years ago? Very few people can say yes,” said Ager.
“Everything that you want for America is on the ballot,” said Clinton.
Boston, MA
Second suspect charged in armed bank robberies in Boston
A West Yarmouth, Massachusetts man has been charged in connection with a pair of armed bank robberies in Boston last month.
Federal prosecutors say 25-year-old Angel Gonzalez brandished a firearm during the robberies at a Santander Bank branch in Roxbury and a TD Bank branch in Roslindale on April 28. His alleged accomplice, Steven Harris, was charged with armed bank robbery earlier this month and remains in federal custody.
During the first robbery in Roxbury, Gonzalez allegedly dragged an employee from her office to the teller window, held her at gunpoint and threatened shoot her.
Less than two hours later, Gonzalez and Harris allegedly robbed the TD Bank in Roslindale. Prosecutors say Harris moved multiple employees from their offices to the main area of the bank, while Gonzalez threatened to shoot them if they did not comply. Gonzales then allegedly took $3,000 from a teller drawer before they left in a getaway vehicle.
Radek Weirdeowski was inside the Roslindale bank at the time of the robbery, and told WBZ-TV it happened so quickly. “While one guy was at the teller with the gun, the other guy was kind of rounding everyone else up,” he said. “And I thought we would all get robbed as well. But fortunately, they just took the bank’s money and took off.”
Gonzalez is charged with armed bank robbery and is currently in state custody in connection with unrelated offenses. He will make his initial appearance in federal court at a later date.
Boston, MA
Dorchester shooting leaves young man dead
A young man was shot and killed in Boston early Friday morning
The shooting near 260 Bowdoin St. in Dorchester was caught on surveillance video that showed a group of people running and ducking for cover behind cars in a parking lot.
Boston police confirmed one person died in the shooting, which happened at about 1 a.m. Family members identified the victim as 21-year-old Giovanni Bala. They lit candles with messages written on them, remembering Bala as a loving and caring person.
“It’s a sad situation. I’ve never seen this happen in this area before,” said Oral Pierre, the manager of One Family Diner.
The restaurant’s cameras captured the shooting and the chaos that followed. Pierre has worked at his family’s restaurant for 20 years and was shocked to see the large crime scene when he got to work Friday morning.
“We saw in the parking lot two cars with bullet holes,” he said. “And when I get the video I saw about 15 people in the parking lot just running and shooting.”
Police shut down the area of Bowdoin and Hamilton streets with crime tape. Investigators scoured the area with police dogs and three cars were towed from the scene.
Kelvin Bell lives nearby and was upset to see violence in his neighborhood.
“I just heard loud bangs, commotion and sirens,” he said. “I just shook my head and said ‘enough is enough’ with the gun play. Whatever this is isn’t important enough to be taking lives. Trust me, this is not a video game, you can’t press reset.”
The Boston Police homicide unit is investigating. There’s no word on a motive or any arrests.
Boston, MA
FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe
“To say we’re frustrated is an understatement,” said Sandhya Iyer, director of economic development and tourism for Lexington, which had hoped to host World Cup fan parties on the lawn of the town’s visitors center but is still waiting on a permit from FIFA.
Iyer is so frustrated by the delay that she recently placed a handmade sign on the site that says, “Give Us a License to Celebrate Soccer.”
“There are times I wish . . . this was all over,” she said.
As one of 16 host communities, Boston is scheduled to stage seven games at Gillette, with the first one scheduled for June 13.
Massachusetts officials on Thursday said FIFA has granted public viewing licenses to only four of the 17 organizations that have received state money for local watch parties and related festivities.
As a result, thousands of soccer fans who were not planning to see the games in person — including members of Chelsea’s large Hispanic community and Cape Verdean communities in Brockton — could miss out on the opportunity to cheer on their national teams in a shared communal celebration.
FIFA has not responded to multiple requests over the past two weeks from the Globe for comment on its licensing process.
Meanwhile, in a new finding from the lodging industry, 70 percent of surveyed hotels in Boston reported bookings for the World Cup were below projections. Many hoteliers describe the tournament as a “non-event,” citing weak international demand. (Meet Boston, the city’s private sector marketing and tourism arm, separately said hotel bookings for June and July are still higher than a year earlier.)
Ticket sales for trains to Gillette, which planners had expected to deliver as many as 20,000 fans to each game — are at roughly one-third capacity. T officials said they expected that pace of sales; they point to the friendly soccer match between Brazil and France in March, seen as a test run for the World Cup games, where many train tickets were sold at the last minute. They believe a similar pattern will unfold once the games begin here.
Another headache surfaced this week: a clash between Mayor Michelle Wu’s administration and state transportation officials over crowd-control plans outside South Station. State officials want to close part of a nearby street during the tournament. The city says no. The state says it plans to proceed anyway. Lengthy meetings this week between the two sides have so far failed to produce a resolution.
Meanwhile, the licensing delays have sparked a new round of finger-pointing over World Cup preparations, with local officials and business leaders blaming FIFA for dragging its feet on the required permits and other organizers accusing the Healey administration of raising expectations prematurely by awarding millions of dollars in grants for events that may never come to fruition.
The watch parties were supposed to expand the Cup celebration around the state and provide an alternative for those who can’t afford the high-priced ticketed events at Gillette.
“We can do a celebration but if you can’t show the game, then who’s gonna come?” said Nelson Fernandes, deputy chief of staff to Brockton Mayor Moises Rodrigues. “It’s pointless.”
Brockton had anticipated up to 6,000 fans packing Campanelli Stadium for the June 15 game between Spain and Cape Verde, the small island nation off the coast of West Africa that is competing in the World Cup for the first time. Nearly one-fifth of Brockton residents are of Cape Verdean descent, and the city was also planning a second watch party in the stadium for the June 13 match between Haiti and Scotland.
“We saw this as a monumental opportunity for our community,” said Fernandes.
Burlington, meanwhile, has already thrown in the towel, abandoning plans for a large watch party on the town common, in part because of the licensing delay from FIFA. Instead it will stage smaller events, including game viewings at a local bar and restaurant, as well as a youth soccer clinic and educational program at the local library..
“It’s all so `unfun,’ ” said Melisa Tintocalis, Burlington’s director of economic development, of the licensing bottleneck. “It’s hard to understand exactly why there are these delays, given that it benefits FIFA to have more eyes and more exposure.”
To support the community events, the state this spring awarded $10 million in grants to 17 organizations that were planning World Cup-related celebrations in 25 communities across the state, from the North Shore to the foothills of the Berkshires.
“By investing in community celebrations across Massachusetts, we’re making sure this global event delivers for people in every region,” Governor Maura Healey said in March.
But that vision clashed with an unexpected obstacle: FIFA’s requirement that organizers secure public viewing licenses before airing any of the events. Without those approvals, soccer’s governing body says, municipalities cannot legally show the matches in public. Many town and city officials believed it would be a simple matter of getting permission, not months of waiting until the timing approaches what many say is a red-zone for their planning.
So far, the only entities to receive licenses are the cities of Boston, Cambridge, and Salem, and the MetroWest Tourism and Visitors Bureau, which is organizing events in Franklin and Marlborough, state officials said.
Most local planners say they have been unable to get clear answers from FIFA, and are instead repeatedly directed back to its online licensing portal.
In some cases, FIFA has messaged local planners for information about their commercial sponsors, to ensure they don’t violate exclusive deals that FIFA has already signed with large corporations, municipal officials said. The pool of such sponsors was already small because FIFA prohibits deals with competitors of its existing sponsors. For instance, a town World Cup watch party can’t be sponsored by a local brewery, because FIFA already has an exclusive deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s biggest brewer.
Now, cities are facing a series of thorny decisions. Do they scale back and hold smaller watch parties in restaurants and pubs, where licenses aren’t required? Do they move forward with contracts for security, food trucks, and jumbo screens without knowing whether they’ll be allowed to show the games? Or do they scrap the events altogether and return the state money?
Kate Fox, executive director of the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism, said local officials are doing all they can to support municipalities, but noted the process is administered independently by FIFA and its North American broadcasters, Fox and Telemundo.
The local host committee for the games in Foxborough, Boston Soccer 26, did not respond to a request for an update on the licensing hold-ups. Last week, its chief executive, Mike Loynd, said the group expected answers on the licensing issue from FIFA “by the end of (last) week.”
That host committee has had its own struggles as well, that include organizational issues, fund-raising shortcomings, and a messy public spat with Foxborough over funding security around the stadium.
Chris Serres can be reached at chris.serres@globe.com. Follow him @ChrisSerres. Michael Silverman can be reached at michael.silverman@globe.com.
-
Lifestyle17 minutes agoLate night has enough political humor already, says host stepping into Colbert’s slot : NPR’s Newsmakers
-
Technology29 minutes agoGoogle’s AI search is so broken it can ‘disregard’ what you’re looking for
-
World35 minutes agoMojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
-
Politics41 minutes agoMilitary families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS
-
Health47 minutes agoLow-impact routine may help adults lower blood pressure at home
-
Sports53 minutes agoThunder erase 15-point deficit to take series lead over Spurs as Victor Wembanyama’s 26 points fall short
-
Technology59 minutes agoFox News AI Newsletter: AI girlfriend dumps Hollywood filmmaker
-
Business1 hour agoWaymo suspends all freeway rides over safety
