Connect with us

Northeast

Biden pardons son Hunter Biden ahead of exit from Oval Office

Published

on

Biden pardons son Hunter Biden ahead of exit from Oval Office

President Biden pardoned his son, Hunter Biden, after the first son was convicted in two separate federal cases earlier this year.

The announcement was made by the White House on Sunday night. The pardon applies to offenses against the U.S. that Hunter Biden “has committed or may have committed” from Jan. 1, 2014 to Dec. 1, 2024.

“Today, I signed a pardon for my son Hunter,” Biden wrote in a statement. “From the day I took office, I said I would not interfere with the Justice Department’s decision-making, and I kept my word even as I have watched my son being selectively, and unfairly, prosecuted.”

The president went on to claim that his son was “treated differently” by prosecutors.

BIDEN WON’T PARDON HUNTER, WHITE HOUSE REAFFIRMS, BUT CRITICS AREN’T SO SURE

Advertisement

Hunter Biden, accompanied by his wife, Melissa Cohen Biden, arrives at federal court on Tuesday, June 11, 2024, in Wilmington, Delaware. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

“Without aggravating factors like use in a crime, multiple purchases, or buying a weapon as a straw purchaser, people are almost never brought to trial on felony charges solely for how they filled out a gun form,” Biden added. “Those who were late paying their taxes because of serious addictions, but paid them back subsequently with interest and penalties, are typically given non-criminal resolutions. It is clear that Hunter was treated differently.”

Biden also referenced his son’s battle with addiction and blamed “raw politics” for the unraveling of Hunter’s plea deal.

“There has been an effort to break Hunter – who has been five and a half years sober, even in the face of unrelenting attacks and selective prosecution,” the 82-year-old father wrote. “In trying to break Hunter, they’ve tried to break me – and there’s no reason to believe it will stop here. Enough is enough.”

“I hope Americans will understand why a father and a President would come to this decision,” Biden’s statement concluded.

Advertisement

TRUMP NOMINATES KASH PATEL TO SERVE AS FBI DIRECTOR: ‘ADVOCATE FOR TRUTH’

Hunter Biden, son of U.S. President Joe Biden departs the J. Caleb Boggs Federal Building on June 03, 2024 in Wilmington, Delaware. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Hunter Biden, 54, has had a busy year in court, kicking off his first trial in Delaware in June, when he faced three felony firearm offenses, before he pleaded guilty in a separate felony tax case in September. 

President Biden pardoning his son is a departure from his previous remarks to the media over the summer, declaring he would not pardon the first son. 

“Yes,” President Biden told ABC News when asked if he would rule out pardoning Hunter ahead of his guilty verdict in the gun case. 

Advertisement

Days later, following a jury of Hunter’s peers finding him guilty of three felony firearm offenses, the president again said he would not pardon his son. 

“I am not going to do anything,” Biden said after Hunter was convicted. “I will abide by the jury’s decision.”

In the gun case, Hunter was found guilty of making a false statement in the purchase of a gun, making a false statement related to information required to be kept by a federally licensed gun dealer, and possession of a gun by a person who is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance.

HUNTER BIDEN FOUND GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS IN GUN TRIAL

President Biden speaks at the Carpenters Local Union 445 “Get Out The Vote” event in Scranton, Pennsylvania, on Nov. 2, 2024. (Photo by Ting Shen/AFP via Getty Images)

Advertisement

Prosecutors specifically worked to prove that Biden lied on a federal firearm form, known as ATF Form 4473, in October 2018, when he ticked a box labeled “No” when asked if he is an unlawful user of substances or addicted to controlled substances. 

Hunter has a well-documented history of drug abuse, which was most notably documented in his 2021 memoir, “Beautiful Things,” which walked readers through his previous need to smoke crack cocaine every 20 minutes, how his addiction was so prolific that he referred to himself as a “crack daddy” to drug dealers, and anecdotes revolving around drug deals, such as a Washington, D.C., crack dealer Biden nicknamed “Bicycles.”

HUNTER BIDEN TRIAL ENTERS DAY 5 AFTER TESTIMONY FROM SISTER-IN-LAW-TURNED-GIRLFRIEND: ‘PANICKED’

Hunter’s attorneys did not dispute the first son’s long history with substance abuse amid the trial, which also included an addiction to alcohol. The defense instead argued that on the day Biden bought the Cobra Colt .38, he did not consider himself an active drug addict, citing the first son’s stint in rehab ahead of the October 2018 purchase.

Prosecutors, however, argued Biden was addicted to crack cocaine before, during and after he bought the handgun. Just one day after the gun purchase, prosecutors showed the court that Biden texted Hallie Biden, his sister-in-law-turned-girlfriend, to say he was “waiting for a dealer named Mookie.” A day after that text, he texted that he was “sleeping on a car smoking crack on 4th Street and Rodney” in Wilmington

Advertisement

Hunter Biden, Melissa Cohen Biden, right, and first lady Jill Biden leave the federal court after the jury finds him guilty on all three counts in his trial on criminal gun charges, in Wilmington, Delaware, on June 11, 2024. (REUTERS/Hannah Beier)

A jury deliberated for roughly three hours across two days before they found Hunter guilty on each charge. 

Hunter was scheduled for sentencing on Nov. 13, which was delayed until December before his dad intervened. 

After President Biden dropped out of the presidential race in July amid mounting concerns over his mental acuity and age, Hunter faced another trial regarding three felony tax offenses and six misdemeanor tax offenses regarding the failure to pay at least $1.4 million in taxes. 

As jury selection was about to kick off in Los Angeles federal court, Hunter entered a surprise guilty plea. 

Advertisement

HUNTER BIDEN PLEADS GUILTY TO ALL NINE FEDERAL TAX CHARGES BROUGHT BY SPECIAL COUNSEL DAVID WEISS

“I will not subject my family to more pain, more invasions of privacy and needless embarrassment,” Hunter said in an emailed statement at the time. “For all I have put them through over the years, I can spare them this, and so I have decided to plead guilty.”

A court sketch depicts Hunter Biden’s federal trial in Wilmington, Delaware, on Monday, June 10, 2024. (William J. Hennessy Jr.)

The charges carried up to 17 years behind bars, but the first son would likely have faced a much shorter sentence under federal sentencing guidelines. His sentencing was scheduled for Dec. 16. 

Ahead of the president’s decision to pardon his son, President-elect Donald Trump said on the campaign trail that he would consider pardoning Hunter if victorious on Nov. 5. 

Advertisement

Former President Donald Trump is pictured at an election night watch party on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2024 in West Palm Beach, Florida. (AP/Alex Brandon)

“I wouldn’t take it off the books,” Trump told radio host Hugh Hewitt in October. “See, unlike Joe Biden, despite what they’ve done to me, where they’ve gone after me so viciously. . . . And Hunter’s a bad boy.”

“There’s no question about it. He’s been a bad boy,” Trump continued. “But I happen to think it’s very bad for our country.”

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pittsburg, PA

Pittsburgh Penguins Will Trade Rickard Rakell To Ottawa Senators

Published

on

Pittsburgh Penguins Will Trade Rickard Rakell To Ottawa Senators


Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-Imagn Images

The Pittsburgh Penguins were in trade rumors all summer long, but the front office elected to hold onto multiple veteran players. Pittsburgh has wanted to get younger across the roster, but with so many older players on the team, this has been a little difficult.

*PREDICTION*

Advertisement

One player who was subject to rumors this year has been veteran Rickard Rakell, who is coming off a career year with Pittsburgh. Rakell scored 35 goals and had 35 assists for Pittsburgh last season, playing in 81 games during the regular season.

The veteran has dealt with some injuries this year that have limited his time on the ice so far. The Penguins have held a high asking price for the veteran, but moving him could net them some strong assets for the future.

Rakell still has three years left on his current contract, and he is scheduled to make $5 million each season. This could impact some potential deals, with opposing teams likely wanting the Penguins to eat some of the salary.

It remains to be seen if the Penguins’ front office will end up trading Rakell, but he could be a strong candidate. Multiple teams have inquired about him, and the Penguins will be a team to watch closely as the trade deadline approaches next month.

More NHL Content From TWSN: 

Top 5 Surprising Breakout NHL Teams in 2025

Florida Panthers Easily Remain Stanley Cup Favorites

The Edmonton Oilers Can Still Make Another Stanley Cup Run

Penguins Move Rickard Rakell to Ottawa

As the Penguins assess the future of multiple guys on the roster, Rakell does seem like he could be on the move ahead of the NHL trade deadline. One team that could look to pull the trigger on a deal to land him is the Ottawa Senators, who could use a boost offensively for the season.

Advertisement

Ottawa made the postseason last season in what was a major surprise around the NHL, and now the team wants to build upon that notion. The Senators have gotten off to a slow start this year themselves, but adding a talent like Rakell could really push this team forward in the Eastern Conference.

We see teams make moves like this all the time, and then they go on a run in the second half of the season to reach the playoffs. Rakell could be a solid addition to the Senators, and he could be the missing piece for them to make a playoff run.

While Rakell won’t fix all the issues that the Senators have on the roster, he could at least fill some of the holes that they have seen this year. Rakell has proven that his contract is more than worth it, and this could be a move to help Ottawa both for this season and in the future.

Ottawa’s front office has been active in recent years, and Rakell could be a solid move for them to consider. The two sides could link up for a deal to get done once the NHL freeze lifts, and the Senators could net one of the bigger names who could be moved this year.

Advertisement

Subscribe to the TWSN Newsletter for original reporting, bold opinions, and real analysis across NFL, NBA, UFC, College Football, and more.

Straight to your inbox. Always authentic.

Sign up now and never miss a moment.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Man shot and killed in New London

Published

on

Man shot and killed in New London


NEW LONDON, Conn. (WFSB) – A man was shot and killed on Sunday evening in New London, according to police.

The identity of the victim has not been released.

Crews responded to reports of shots fired around 7:19 p.m. on Connecticut Avenue between Prest Street and McDonald Street.

The road remained closed for the investigation.

Advertisement

Officers found the victim with a gunshot wound to his lower extremity. He was brought to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police have also not said if they’ve identified a suspect.

The New London Police Department’s Detective Division has taken over the investigation, which remains active and ongoing. Detectives are processing the scene and conducting interviews.

Police said they are committed to ensuring community safety and will dedicate all necessary resources to the investigation.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the New London Police Department Detective Division at 860-447-1481. Anonymous tips can be submitted via the New London Tips 411 system by texting NLPDTip plus the information to Tip411 (847411).

Advertisement

Police said further information will be released as the investigation progresses.



Source link

Continue Reading

Maine

Waterville Police say Hannaford closure was a false alarm

Published

on

Waterville Police say Hannaford closure was a false alarm


WATERVILLE, Maine (WABI) – The Waterville Police Department is investigating after a false public alarm led to the closure of the Hannaford at JFK Plaza.

This update comes after police asked the public to avoid the building due to a safety issue.

In an updated post the department said that Hannaford will return to normal business hours.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending