News
Gateway Church members return to services this weekend, minus Robert Morris
NORTH TEXAS — Mid-June 2024 is likely a time members of the Gateway Church won’t soon forget. The megachurch cringed at a different revelation of founding pastor Robert Morris.
Congregants from six locations head back into the sanctuary for healing and answers.
In a message posted on the church’s website, the elders reached out to members.
“This is an unthinkable and painful time in our church. Our church congregation is hurt and shaken, and we know that you have many important questions,” Elders said. “We want to answer as many of your questions as we can at this point, and we ask that you continue to extend us grace as we navigate through the most challenging time in Gateway’s history.”
The Watchburg Watch published Cindy Clemishire’s recollection of sexual abuse by Morris. She said it started on December 25, 1982, and continued until March 1987. The story gained steam in The Christian Post.
Gateway was not a church at the time. Morris was an evangelist on the road with his wife. According to an initial statement from the nine elders at Gateway, “Pastor Robert has been open and forthright about a moral failure he had over 35 years ago when he was in his twenties and prior to him starting Gateway Church.”
The elders said Morris had spoken openly in the pulpit about the proper steps he took for restoration, including a two-year hiatus from ministry to get professional and freedom ministry.
“I was involved in inappropriate sexual behavior with a young lady in a home I was staying,” Morris said. “It was kissing and petting and not intercourse, but it was wrong.”
The former Gateway leader said the relationship continued into March 1987 and came to light when he said he confessed, repented, and submitted to elders of Shady Grove Church in addition to the young lady’s father.
Clemishire pushed back in an interview with CBS News Texas.
“Young lady? I was not a young lady. I was a little girl. I was 12,” she said.
The alleged victim said he told her not to tell anyone or it would ruin everything.
By June 18, Morris had resigned from running the church, which is said to have as many as 100,000 members. He also stepped down as chancellor and the Board of Trustees of Kings University. The preacher also gave up his spiritual oversight over his daughter and son-in-law’s church in Houston.
“…Please be praying for those affected, including Cindy Clemishire, her family, the Morris family, Gateway members, staff, and others,” Elders said in the latest statement.
Services at six of the church’s campuses are on Saturday at 4 p.m.
News
Video: We Tracked All the Lawsuits Against the Second Trump Administration
new video loaded: We Tracked All the Lawsuits Against the Second Trump Administration
By Mattathias Schwartz, Christina Shaman, Rafaela Balster and Edward Vega
February 16, 2026
News
Europeans push back at US over claim they face ‘civilizational erasure’
European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas speaks during the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026.
Michael Probst/AP
hide caption
toggle caption
Michael Probst/AP
MUNICH — A top European Union official on Sunday rejected the notion that Europe faces “civilizational erasure,” pushing back at criticism of the continent by the Trump administration.
EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas addressed the Munich Security Conference a day after U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered a somewhat reassuring message to European allies. He struck a less aggressive tone than Vice President JD Vance did in lecturing them at the same gathering last year but maintained a firm tone on Washington’s intent to reshape the trans-Atlantic alliance and push its policy priorities.
Kallas alluded to criticism in the U.S. national security strategy released in December, which asserted that economic stagnation in Europe “is eclipsed by the real and more stark prospect of civilizational erasure.” It suggested that Europe is being enfeebled by its immigration policies, declining birth rates, “censorship of free speech and suppression of political opposition” and a “loss of national identities and self-confidence.”
“Contrary to what some may say, woke, decadent Europe is not facing civilizational erasure,” Kallas told the conference. “In fact, people still want to join our club and not just fellow Europeans,” she added, saying she was told when visiting Canada last year that many people there have an interest in joining the EU.
Kallas rejected what she called “European-bashing.”
“We are, you know, pushing humanity forward, trying to defend human rights and all this, which is actually bringing also prosperity for people. So that’s why it’s very hard for me to believe these accusations.”
In his conference speech, Rubio said that an end to the trans-Atlantic era “is neither our goal nor our wish,” adding that “our home may be in the Western hemisphere, but we will always be a child of Europe.”
He made clear that the Trump administration is sticking to its guns on issues such as migration, trade and climate. And European officials who addressed the gathering made clear that they in turn will stand by their values, including their approach to free speech, climate change and free trade.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said Saturday that Europe must defend “the vibrant, free and diverse societies that we represent, showing that people who look different to each other can live peacefully together, that this isn’t against the tenor of our times.”
“Rather, it is what makes us strong,” he said.
Kallas said Rubio’s speech sent an important message that America and Europe are and will remain intertwined.
“It is also clear that we don’t see eye to eye on all the issues and this will remain the case as well, but I think we can work from there,” she said.
News
Obama responds to Trump sharing racist AI video depicting him as an ape
Former President Barack Obama addresses the Obama Foundation’s 2024 Democracy Forum on Dec. 05, 2024 in Chicago, Illinois.
Scott Olson/Getty Images
hide caption
toggle caption
Scott Olson/Getty Images
Former President Barack Obama has responded to the racist video posted by President Donald Trump’s social media account earlier this month.
During an interview with YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen, Obama said many Americans “find this behavior deeply troubling.”
“There doesn’t seem to be any shame about this among people who used to feel like you had to have some sort of decorum and a sense of propriety and respect for the office,” Obama said in the interview, which was posted on YouTube Saturday.
“There’s this sort of clown show that’s happening in social media and on television,” Obama added, describing much of the noise around Trump’s presidency as a “distraction”.
Obama’s response follows outrage over the video, which depicted Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama as apes. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt defended the clip, saying “please stop the fake outrage.” Trump refused to apologize for the social media post, telling reporters “I didn’t make a mistake” aboard Air Force One.
The video, which was posted at the beginning of Black History Month, has since been deleted. The White House blamed a staffer for “erroneously” posting the video clip.
Obama also shared his thoughts on the immigration crackdown and protests in Minnesota and elsewhere around the country, telling Cohen they have left a good number of American people saying “we’re going to live up to those values that we say we believe in.”
“It is important for us to recognize the unprecedented nature of what ICE was doing in Minneapolis, St. Paul, the way that federal agents, ICE agents were being deployed, without any clear guidelines, training, pulling people out of their homes, using five-year-olds to try to bait their parents, all the stuff that we saw, teargassing crowds simply who were standing there, not breaking any laws,” the 44th president said.
Obama called the killing of Alex Pretti in Minneapolis last month “a heartbreaking tragedy” and said it was “a wake-up call to every American, regardless of party, that many of our core values as a nation are increasingly under assault.”
He also said that the Trump administration has given explanations for the deaths of Pretti and Renee Good, a 37-year-old woman killed by an immigration agent, “that aren’t informed by any serious investigation.”
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Illinois1 week ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
Culture7 days agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
News1 week ago
Hate them or not, Patriots fans want the glory back in Super Bowl LX
-
Technology1 week agoWe found 20 Verge-approved gifts on sale ahead of Valentine’s Day
-
Politics1 week agoVirginia Dems take tax hikes into overtime, target fantasy football leagues
-
Politics1 week agoWest Virginia worked with ICE — 650 arrests later, officials say Minnesota-style ‘chaos’ is a choice