Connect with us

News

Fat Bear Week delayed after a large bear kills a rival bear

Published

on

Fat Bear Week delayed after a large bear kills a rival bear

Bear 402 was “the mother of at least eight litters, more than any other bear currently at Brooks River,” according to the National Park Service. The bear, seen here fishing with her yearlings in 2019, was killed in a fight with another bear on Monday.

N. Boak/NPS Photo


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

N. Boak/NPS Photo

Fat Bear Week, a celebration of brown bears’ survival instincts, brought a grisly reminder of the animals’ predatory nature on Monday, when a male bear, 469, killed a female, 402, at Katmai National Park & Preserve in Alaska.

The unsettling scene was captured by a popular live webcam that follows the bears on the Brooks River.

In a statement sent to NPR, the park said, “National parks like Katmai protect not only the wonders of nature, but also the harsh realities. Each bear seen on the webcams is competing with others to survive.”

Advertisement

The deadly fight took place around 9:30 a.m. in Alaska, as organizers prepared to kick off Fat Bear Week, the competition that lets fans crown the bear who successfully added the most weight as they prepare for their annual hibernation cycle. After the shocking death of 402, the unveiling of the 2024 bracket was delayed from Monday until 7 p.m. ET Tuesday.

As stunned viewers watched online, the two bears engaged in a lengthy and violent fight in deep water at the river’s mouth — a clash that eventually ended with one bear dying, and the other dragging her body ashore.

“Very difficult to see. I mean, 402 is a beloved bear by each and every one of us,” Mike Fitz, the resident naturalist with webcam company Explore.org, said in a video in which he and two Katmai Park experts discussed the incident.

“I honestly, you know, I think we’re all in a little bit of a loss of words,” Fitz said.

Editor’s Note: The video below depicts the bears’ deadly fight, and a discussion about their actions.

Advertisement

Both bears have been known to rangers for more than 20 years. 402 was “the mother of at least eight litters, more than any other bear currently at Brooks River. This includes two litters of four cubs apiece,” the national park said last year. In 2013, 469 won fans by overcoming a serious injury to his left hind leg and foot to fish at Brooks Falls. One year earlier, he was seen with an unidentified bear’s remains.

Fitz and the other experts — Naomi Boak of the nonprofit Katmai Conservancy, and Sarah Bruce, a ranger at Katmai National Park — said that while it wasn’t clear what prompted the clash, 469 came to see 402 as potential prey. 

“Whatever caused this initially stimulated a predatory or continuing predatory reaction by 469,” Boak said in the video, noting that 402, a well-known large female, was nearly as big as 469. “So she fought, she fought and continued to fight.”

Advertisement

The footage suggests that 402 died from drowning as she was overpowered, Fitz said.

“This is very difficult to watch and comprehend,” Boak said. She added, “we can feel these things but we can’t anthropomorphize what’s going on and assume that a bear’s behavior is like our behavior. It’s very different, these are wild animals.”

For those who enjoy watching the bears of Katmai Park, 469’s killing of 402 is a reminder of a stark reality: While the gigantic brown bears are oblivious to their roles in an annual online bracket, they’re also apex predators that are very aware of the competition for food and space — and raw calories.

“He’s essentially predating on this other bear, he’s a predator towards this female bear,” Bruce said.

“We do know that this time of year, bears are in that state of hyperphagia and they are eating anything and everything they can,” she added, referring to a condition described as an insatiable drive to consume food.

Advertisement

“I don’t know why a bear would want to expend so much energy trying to kill another bear as a food source,” Bruce said. “It’s an uncommon thing to see a bear predating on another bear. But it’s not completely out of the question.”

In response to viewers’ questions, Bruce said that after the deadly fight, 402’s body was spotted in the woods, where 469 apparently placed it as a food cache. But another law of nature soon took effect: hierarchy. A dominant bear dubbed 32 Chunk ousted 469 and took over the carcass, Bruce said.

As for 469’s future, Bruce said rangers will not intervene.

“The park’s not gonna do anything to the bear, to 469,” she said. “You know, it’s just kind of part of bear behavior and bear life. It’s one of the sadder parts of it, one of the more difficult parts of it. But we’re certainly just going to allow nature to play out as it does.”

Advertisement

News

Britain blocking use of air bases Trump says would be needed for strikes on Iran, UK media report | CNN

Published

on

Britain blocking use of air bases Trump says would be needed for strikes on Iran, UK media report | CNN

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has blocked a request from US President Donald Trump to allow US forces to use UK air bases during any preemptive attack on Iran, saying it could break international law, according to multiple reports in British media citing government sources.

According to The Times of London, which first reported the split over airbase access, Starmer has denied the use of RAF Fairford in England and Diego Garcia – the British overseas territory in the Indian Ocean – for any strike on Iran.

The two bases have long served as crucial overseas US military staging posts for operations far from home, with Diego Garcia a key airfield for the US’ heavy bomber fleet.

The Times reports Britain is concerned that allowing the US to use the bases “would be a breach of international law, which makes no distinction between a state carrying out the attack and those in support if the latter have ‘knowledge of the circumstances of the internationally wrongful act.’”

The Times cited UK government sources. The BBC, The Guardian and The Telegraph also subsequently published their own reports on the UK blocking access to the bases, citing sources.

Advertisement

The UK Ministry of Defence declined to comment on what it called operational matters. “There is a political process ongoing between the US and Iran, which the UK supports. Iran must never be able to develop a nuclear weapon, and our priority is security in the region,” a government spokesperson said.

American requests to use UK bases for operational purposes historically have been considered on a case-by-case basis, with precise criteria withheld for security reasons under long-standing agreements.

“All decisions on whether to approve foreign nations’ use of military bases in the UK for operational purposes considers the legal basis and policy rationale for any proposed activity,” Veterans Minister Al Carns wrote in response to questions from independent British member of parliament Jeremy Corbyn, according to a January report from the UK Defence Journal.

Starmer and Trump held a phone call on Tuesday evening, with readouts saying the two discussed peace in the Middle East and Europe.

The following day Trump took to his Truth Social platform to withdraw support for a deal that would see sovereignty over the Chagos Islands, the Indian Ocean chain that is home to the joint US-UK Naval Support Facility Diego Garcia, handed to Mauritius in return for a 99-year lease on the military base.

Advertisement

CNN has approached the White House for comment.

Britain had split the Chagos Islands from Mauritius before that colony gained independence, something that has been a source of diplomatic friction as well as multiple legal battles with locals who were evicted. In 2019, the International Court of Justice ruled Britain should return the islands “as rapidly as possible,” so that they could be decolonized.

A deal to return them has been making its way through British government channels since, with London arguing a lease compromise would ward off further expensive and likely futile legal battles while maintaining military access in the Indian Ocean.

After initially opposing the UK-Mauritius deal, Trump in early February said it was the “best” Britain could get under the circumstances.

But as the US has been surging forces into the region for a possible attack on Iran, Trump reversed course, saying in a Truth Social post that Starmer is “making a big mistake” in agreeing to the lease deal with Mauritius.

Advertisement

“Prime Minister Starmer is losing control of this important Island by claims of entities never known of before. In our opinion, they are fictitious in nature,” Trump’s post said.

But just a day earlier, the US State Department issued a statement saying in part that Washington “supports the decision of the United Kingdom to proceed with its agreement with Mauritius.”

Asked about the discrepancy between the Truth Social post and the State Department statement, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the president’s post should be taken as the “policy” of the Trump administration.

In his social media post, Trump directly referenced the two UK airbases, cited by British media, as important in a possible strike on Iran.

“It may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime,” Trump wrote.

Advertisement

Neither Diego Garcia nor Fairford, the key forward operating base for US strategic bombers in Europe, was used in last June’s one-time B-2 bomber strike on Iranian nuclear sites. In that case, the stealth bombers flew a round trip of about 37 hours from their home base in Missouri.

But analysts are expecting that any new US attack on Iran might be a much longer campaign, possibly of weeks or more.

In such a campaign, having the B-2s, as well as B-1 and B-52 bombers, using bases thousands of miles closer to Iran would enable quicker turnarounds to rearm and refuel for more strikes.

While the US may have access to other bases in friendly countries closer to Iran, using them could put its prized heavy bomber fleet in reach of retaliatory Iranian missile strikes.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

U.S. figure skater Alysa Liu said she didn’t care if she medaled. She won gold

Published

on

U.S. figure skater Alysa Liu said she didn’t care if she medaled. She won gold

Team USA’s Alysa Liu celebrates after winning gold in the women’s event on Thursday.

Jamie Squire/Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

MILAN — Alysa Liu has won Olympic figure skating gold, the first U.S. woman to do so in over two decades.

It’s an ironic outcome for the 20-year-old, who said earlier this week that she wasn’t motivated by a medal.

“I’m OK if I do a fail program. I’m totally OK if I do a great program. No matter what the outcome is, it’s still my story,” Liu said after finishing Tuesday night’s short program in third place.

Advertisement

Liu, 20, soared to new heights in Thursday’s free skate, dazzling the crowd with an absolutely joyful skate to Donna Summer’s “MacArthur Park Suite” in a shimmering gold dress.

Alysa Liu (C) celebrates next to silver medalist Kaori Sakamoto (L) and bronze medalist Ami Nakai (R), both of Japan.

Alysa Liu (C) celebrates next to silver medalist Kaori Sakamoto (L) and bronze medalist Ami Nakai (R), both of Japan.

Wang Zhao/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Wang Zhao/AFP via Getty Images

She and her signature raccoon-striped ponytail soared, exuding a carefree confidence and getting the crowd onto its feet. Her easygoing demeanor and look of genuine enjoyment have been her hallmarks since she returned to the sport in 2024 — two years after retiring at age 16 immediately following the Beijing Olympics, where she came in sixth.

Liu’s performance on Thursday shot her straight to the top of the leaderboard with two skaters behind her, guaranteeing her spot on the podium.

She stayed there through the end of the night. Japan’s Kaori Sakamoto, the penultimate skater, ended up with a silver medal, while the last skater of the night, her compatriot Ami Nakai, claimed bronze.

Advertisement

It was a literal passing of the torch: Sakamoto, who won bronze in Beijing, is retiring after these Olympics; Nakai is just 17 and in her debut senior season.

USA's Amber Glenn competes on Thursday.

USA’s Amber Glenn competes on Thursday. She finished fifth overall.

Wang Zhao/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Wang Zhao/AFP via Getty Images

The Milano Ice Skating Arena erupted in cheers as reality sunk in. An exuberant Liu exchanged long hugs with her coaches and teammate Amber Glenn, who had a triumphant night of her own despite finishing off the podium in fifth place.

It was a redemptive skate for Glenn, who came into the night in 13th place after one costly mistake at the end of her first routine Tuesday. The free skate, her second chance, went much more smoothly — she nailed another triple axel and landed all of her jumps, despite putting a hand down to steady herself at one point. Glenn, who later told NBC she had been thinking of her six-year-old self, moved into first place and stayed there until the final group of the night.

The other member of the “Blade Angels,” Isabeau Levito, finished the night in 12th place.

Advertisement

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Continue Reading

News

Iran and the US lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

Published

on

Iran and the US lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Iran and the United States leaned into gunboat diplomacy Thursday as nuclear talks between the nations hung in the balance, with Tehran holding drills with Russia and the Americans bringing another aircraft carrier closer to the Mideast.

The Iranian drill and the arrival of the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier near the mouth of the Mediterranean Sea underscore the tensions between the nations. Iran earlier this week also launched a drill that involved live-fire in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow opening of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of the world’s traded oil passes.

The movements of additional American warships and airplanes don’t guarantee a U.S. strike on Iran — but it does give President Donald Trump the ability to carry out one should he choose to do so. He’s so far held off on striking Iran after setting red lines over the killing of peaceful protesters and Tehran holding mass executions, while reengaging Tehran in nuclear talks earlier disrupted by the Iran-Israel war in June.

“Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social website, seeking to pressure the United Kingdom over its plans to settle the future of the Chagos Islands with Mauritius.

Meanwhile, Iran struggles with unrest at home following its crackdown on protests, with mourners now holding ceremonies honoring their dead 40 days after their killing by security forces. Some of the gatherings have included anti-government cries, despite threats from authorities.

Advertisement

Iran holds drill with Russia

The drill Thursday saw Iranian forces and Russian sailors conduct operations in the Gulf of Oman and the Indian Ocean, Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency reported. The drill will be aimed at “upgrading operational coordination as well as exchange of military experiences,” IRNA added.

China had joined the “Security Belt” drill in previous years, but there was no acknowledgment it participated in this round. In recent days, a vessel that appeared to be a Steregushchiy-class Russian corvette had been seen at a military port in the Iranian city of Bandar Abbas.

Iran also issued a rocket-fire warning to pilots in the region, suggesting they planned to launch anti-ship missiles in the exercise.

Meanwhile, tracking data showed the Ford off the coast of Morocco in the Atlantic Ocean midday Wednesday, meaning the carrier could transit through Gibraltar and potentially station in the eastern Mediterranean with its supporting guided-missile destroyers.

Having the carrier there could allow American forces to have extra aircraft and anti-missile power to potentially protect Israel and Jordan should a conflict break out with Iran. The U.S. similarly placed warships there during the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip to protect against Iranian fire.

Advertisement

Anti-government chants made at mourning ceremonies

Mourning ceremonies for those killed by security forces in the protests last month also have increased. Iranians traditionally mark the death of a loved one 40 days after the loss. Both witnesses and social media videos showed memorials taking place at Tehran’s massive Behesht-e Zahra cemetery. Some memorials included people chanting against Iran’s theocracy while singing nationalistic songs.

The demonstrations began Dec. 28 at Tehran’s historic Grand Bazaar, initially over the collapse of Iran’s currency, the rial, then spread across the country. Tensions exploded on Jan. 8, with demonstrations called for by Iran’s exiled crown prince, Reza Pahlavi.

Iran’s government has offered only one death toll for the violence, with 3,117 people killed. The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, which has been accurate in previous rounds of unrest in Iran, puts the death toll at over 7,000 killed, with many more feared dead.

___

Associated Press writer Nasser Karimi in Tehran, Iran, contributed to this report.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending