Connect with us

News

5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend’s life: report

Published

on

5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend’s life: report

A group of cyclists in their 50s and 60s battled with a cougar for 45 minutes after the mountain cat launched at one of their friends and clamped down on her face during a team ride on a vast Washington state trail last month.

The five cyclists recalled the harrowing struggle to pry the beast off their friend using just rocks, sticks and their own hands during the Feb. 17 attack on a trail northeast of Fall City in Washington, according to a recent report.

The cyclists used one of their bikes to trap the mountain cat. Courtesy of Keri Bergere

The friends, all part of the competitive Recycled Cycles Racing team, were 19 miles into their biking trip when the wild animal lunged at 60-year-old Keri Bergere and tackled her into a shallow ditch off the trail with the cougar teeth biting her jaw.  

“I thought my teeth were coming loose, and I was gonna swallow my teeth,” Bergere told KUOW in an interview published Thursday. “I could feel the bones crushing, and I could feel it tearing back.”

“I felt like it was suffocating me,” she also told the station. “I could taste the blood in my mouth.”

Advertisement

Her friends quickly rallied to her defense using sticks and rocks to try to get the male cougar to loosen his grip on Bergere, whose face was forced into the ground. One cyclist stabbed the cat with a small knife and another, Annie Bilotta, 64, attempted to choke the vicious creature.

“That was like choking a rock,” Bilotta told KUOW. “It did absolutely nothing.”

She then tried to pry the cougar’s jaw with her hand.

“I felt it shifting its teeth like it wanted to try to bite me too,” Bilotta said. “I said ‘no, you’re not gonna get both of us.’”

Bergere suffered trauma to her face and permanent nerve damage from the attack. King5

Auna Tietz, 59, dropped a 25-pound rock on the cougar’s head numerous times while trying to avoid hitting her friend. Bergere, still trapped by the cougar, tried to jab her fingers up the animal’s nostrils and in his eyes.

Advertisement

Finally, after 15 minutes, the animal let up and Bergere was able to crawl away.

The women were 19 miles into the bike ride when the scary incident unfolded. Courtesy of Keri Bergere

Tisch Williams, 59, then grabbed the $6,000 bike of 51-year-old Erica Wolf and the group used it to pin down the mountain puma for 30 minutes before a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife police officer arrived and shot the creature between the shoulder blades, the outlet reported.

“All these ladies came up with superhuman strength,” said Bergere, who was hospitalized in stable condition, but had noticeable facial injuries.

“They’re teeny ladies, and I know that the Fish & Wildlife shot the final shot to kill it. But these ladies killed that cougar with their bare hands and no weapons,” she also said. “I’m eternally grateful to each one of them.”

The male cougar was about a 1-year-old and weighed roughly 75 pounds, state Fish and Wildlife officials said.

Advertisement

The animal didn’t have rabies or other significant diseases or issues that would lead to aggressive behavior, the department said. 

News

Meta shares fall as it predicts higher expenditure on AI

Published

on

Meta shares fall as it predicts higher expenditure on AI

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Meta’s revenues jumped by more than a quarter in the first three months of the year, beating expectations, but its forecasts left Wall Street underwhelmed and the shares fell 10 per cent in after-hours trading on Wednesday.

Revenues at the social media group rose 27 per cent to $36.5bn, just above analyst expectations of a rise to $36.2bn.

Meta said it had raised the high end of its full-year capital expenditure guidance from $37bn to $40bn in order to “continue to accelerate our infrastructure investments to support our artificial intelligence (AI) roadmap”. It added that it expected capital expenditures to “continue to increase next year”.

Advertisement

It said it anticipated current quarter revenues in the range of $36.5bn-$39bn, versus consensus estimates of $38.3bn.

Prior to the announcement, Meta’s stock had risen more than 40 per cent this year, having been in record territory since a bumper fourth-quarter earnings announcement in February during which it announced its first dividend and signalled a strong recovery from a recent advertising slump. 

Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg has been attempting to keep investors happy and cut costs while investing in the artificial intelligence race, its longer-term metaverse ambitions and the costly technology and infrastructure required to support both.

This month Meta released a new version of its AI model, Llama 3, which it said had vastly improved capabilities, including the ability to reason. The company also unveiled a new generation of its AI custom-made chips.  

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

With federal fraud trial looming, George Santos drops out of New York House race

Published

on

With federal fraud trial looming, George Santos drops out of New York House race

Former Republican Rep. George Santos of New York has dropped his bid to return to the U.S. House.

Alex Brandon/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Alex Brandon/AP


Former Republican Rep. George Santos of New York has dropped his bid to return to the U.S. House.

Alex Brandon/AP

Another chapter in the scandal-plagued career of New York Republican George Santos sputtered to an end this week as he abandoned his independent bid for a U.S. House seat on Long Island.

“I don’t want to split the ticket and be responsible for handing the house to Dems,” Santos wrote in a social media post. “Staying in this race all but guarantees a victory for the Dems.”

Advertisement

Santos won his election in New York’s 3rd Congressional District in the 2022 midterms. He was part of a red wave in New York that helped give Republicans a razor-thin majority.

But his personal and professional narratives quickly unraveled.

It turned out Santos, who was initially supported by many of New York’s most prominent GOP leaders, lied about his family’s religion, his education and his business experience.

Santos even claimed falsely to have been a competitive college volleyball player.

In May 2023, while facing a House ethics probe, Santos was arrested on federal fraud charges that accuse him of bilking political donors. Santos has pleaded not guilty. The Justice Department eventually expanded the criminal counts against Santos to 23 charges.

Advertisement

“Santos is charged with stealing people’s identities and making charges on his own donors’ credit cards without their authorization,” U.S. Attorney Breon Peace said in an October 2023 statement.

Santos’s trial on Long Island is expected to get underway in September. His former campaign treasurer has already pleaded guilty in the case.

Ousted from Congress, Santos tried for a comeback

In December 2023, with his scandals and legal troubles deepening and political allies abandoning him, Santos was expelled from Congress in a 311-114 vote. Many Republicans joined the effort to purge him from office.

In the months since, Santos has emerged as a far-right gadfly and influencer, firing political salvos at Democrats and at moderate Republicans.

Santos initially said he would run in the Republican primary in New York’s 1st Congressional District but later shifted to run as an independent.

Advertisement

In his social media post announcing that he’s abandoned his campaign, Santos again blasted the “abysmal” voting record of Rep. Nick LaLota, the Republican who currently holds the seat.

LaLota played a key role in the bipartisan effort to force Santos from office.

John Avlon, who is running in the 1st Congressional District’s Democratic primary, expressed his disappointment at the end of the three-way race: “Gotta say: I was really looking forward to the debates.”

Since Santos’s numerous lies were revealed, he has become a political pariah in New York City. But Santos’ post suggested that even now his political career may not yet be over:

“It’s only goodbye for now, I’ll be back.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Boeing burns through $4bn in first quarter after door plug blowout

Published

on

Boeing burns through $4bn in first quarter after door plug blowout

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Boeing burnt through almost $4bn of cash in the first quarter, reflecting slower 737 Max production and compensation to customers as the US plane maker grappled with the aftermath of the mid-air accident in January.

The $3.9bn of free cash outflow is slightly lower than the $4bn-4.5bn the company had warned in March, but compares with an outflow of $786mn for the same period last year. Boeing reported a $355mn net loss in the first quarter.

The company’s financial results “reflect the immediate actions we’ve taken to slow down 737 production to drive improvements in quality”, said chief executive Dave Calhoun.

Advertisement

There has been a 500 per cent increase in reports to Boeing’s internal safety hotline compared with last year.

The company is working to improve processes including training, inspection and how “travelled work” where jets that move through the production line with problems addressed later in the assembly process, is handled in the 737 factory in Renton, Washington. Boeing also is attempting to stabilise its supply chain.

“Near term, yes, we are in a tough moment,” said Calhoun in a letter to staff on Wednesday. “Lower deliveries can be difficult for our customers and our financials. But safety and quality must and will come above all else.”

The plane maker is building fewer than 38 Maxes per month, reducing deliveries that are necessary to bring in cash in order to improve the quality of its manufacturing following the mid-air blowout of a door plug on an Alaska Airlines flight.

You are seeing a snapshot of an interactive graphic. This is most likely due to being offline or JavaScript being disabled in your browser.

Advertisement

Boeing faces investigations by aviation regulators and the US Justice Department. Though no one was killed, the explosive loss of cabin pressure injured some on board and recalled the two fatal crashes that led to the worldwide grounding of the Max for nearly two years.

A preliminary report by the National Transportation Safety Board found that four bolts meant to fasten the panel to the fuselage were missing.

A US Federal Aviation Administration audit of Boeing found “multiple instances” where it allegedly failed to meet manufacturing and quality control requirements. Regulators have given the company until the end of May to submit a plan to improve.

Boeing said on Wednesday it was “implementing a comprehensive action plan” to address the audit’s findings.

The company did not issue any financial guidance for the year on Wednesday. It initially declined to issue guidance in January, with Calhoun saying “now is not the time”.

Advertisement

The 737’s troubles have led to a shake-up in Boeing leadership. Calhoun said last month he would step down as Boeing chief executive at the end of the year, with the chair of the board Larry Kellner leaving after the annual meeting in May. Stan Deal, head of Boeing’s commercial plane division, departed immediately.

Boeing shares rose 3.6 per cent in pre-market trading after closing on Tuesday at $169.28.

Baird analyst Peter Arment said the stock represented “a buying opportunity”. “The kitchen sink quarter was not bad as feared, with progress expected on production, deliveries and [free cash flow] in the coming quarters coupled with a management change,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending