Connect with us

Midwest

Steve Kerr says immigration should be addressed by Congress, claims feds ‘taking 5-year-old kindergartners’

Published

on

Steve Kerr says immigration should be addressed by Congress, claims feds ‘taking 5-year-old kindergartners’

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Golden State Warriors spent the weekend in Minneapolis, playing two games against the Minnesota Timberwolves (they split the weekend series).

The first meeting between the two was postponed from Saturday to Sunday after a fatal shooting by a Border Patrol agent that killed 37-year-old Alex Pretti. The NBA cited the “safety and security of the Minneapolis community.”

It was the second death attributed to immigration enforcement in the city this month, as Renee Good, also 37, was killed.

 

Advertisement

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr reacts against the Dallas Mavericks at American Airlines Center. (Kevin Jairaj/Imagn Images)

Kerr called Good’s death “murder” earlier this month, and after Monday night’s game against the T-Wolves, Kerr was outspoken again amid the “really bizarre few days” in Minnesota.

“We have a lot of empathy for the people here. We’re really hopeful that the protests here and nationwide will lead to a much better solution for immigration,” Kerr said.

He then criticized the agents’ actions.

“It’s not like they’re rooting out violent criminals, they’re taking 5-year-old kindergartners and U.S. citizens and detaining people. Immigration is a problem that needs to be addressed, but it needs to be addressed by Congress legislatively, not by military force in the streets, pulling people from their homes,” Kerr said.

Advertisement

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr during the Orlando Magic game, Dec. 22, 2025, in San Francisco, California. (AP Photo/Justine Willard)

KNICKS PLAYERS CONDEMN DEADLY BORDER PATROL-INVOLVED SHOOTING IN MINNESOTA

The Timberwolves held moments of silence after both Good’s and Pretti’s deaths.

Anti-ICE protests occurred outside of Sunday’s game between Golden State and Minnesota.

The National Basketball Players Association released a statement on Sunday as well.

Advertisement

“Following the news of yet another fatal shooting in Minneapolis, a city that has been on the forefront of the fight against injustices, NBA players can no longer remain silent,” the union said. “Now more than ever, we must defend the right to freedom of speech and stand in solidarity with the people in Minnesota protesting and risking their lives to demand justice.

Throngs flood Minneapolis to protest ICE after the Pretti shooting. (Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images)

“The fraternity of NBA players, like the United States itself, is a community enriched by its global citizens, and we refuse to let the flames of division threaten the civil liberties that are meant to protect us all. The NBPA and its members extend our deepest condolences to the families of Alex Pretti and Renee Good, just as our thoughts remain focused on the safety and well-being of all members of our community.”

Fox News’ Ryan Gaydos contributed to this report.

Advertisement

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



Read the full article from Here

Cleveland, OH

Metroparks reopens after shutting down 2 lakefront locations due to overcrowding

Published

on

Metroparks reopens after shutting down 2 lakefront locations due to overcrowding


CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) – The Cleveland Metroparks is reopened after shutting down two lakefront locations due to over capacity issues Sunday.

According to Metroparks police, the two affected locations were the East 55th Street Marina and the East 72nd Fishing Area.

As of 7:07 p.m. both locations appear to have people there with no police presence.

Copyright 2026 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Illinois

Pritzker blasts Johnson’s push to keep Bears in Chicago: ‘The mayor has no plan’

Published

on

Pritzker blasts Johnson’s push to keep Bears in Chicago: ‘The mayor has no plan’


CHICAGO (WLS) — Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker had some harsh words for Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson on Monday, exposing the deep divide between the two leaders over the future of the Chicago Bears.

It comes as the legislature heads into the final two weeks of the session with still no deal on a bill to enable the team to move to Arlington Heights.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Pritzker favors helping the Bears move to Arlington Heights rather than losing them to Hammond, Indiana. But Johnson insists that the best thing for the Bears is to stay in Chicago. In his strongest words yet, the governor dismissed that notion.

“He has no plan. There’s no plan,” Pritzker said.

Advertisement

While speaking to reporters on Monday, Pritzker called Johnson out for continuing to push for the Bears to stay at Soldier Field despite the team repeatedly making it clear that if they are going to stay in Illinois, it will be in Arlington Heights at the former racetrack property the team owns. If it is not there, they will pursue the offer from Indiana to build a stadium in Hammond.

As lawmakers consider a so-called megaprojects bill that would give the Bears a property tax break on a new stadium in Arlington Heights, the governor was frustrated by Johnson’s Chicago push.

“I know that the mayor has no plan. He has come up with no plan at all about how the Bears would end up in the city of Chicago. So, that’s problematic. I’d love them to be in the city, but we’re three years in now, and he still has no plan,” Pritzker said.

The mayor’s office responded, saying, in part, “The City’s proposal remains the only plan centered on public ownership alongside a funding mechanism that does not burden property taxpayers while keeping the Bears in Chicago.”

And while Johnson says he will continue to work with stakeholders to keep the Bears where they are, the governor took another swipe related to budget requests, suggesting significant Chicago and Springfield communication problems.

Advertisement

“Again, we’ve seen almost nothing out of the mayoral administration here on that subject, or really any other. And so, to show up in May and have a bunch of demands seems like late in the game, and it’s unfortunate that’s happened most years,” Pritzker said.

Meanwhile, there are concerns about infrastructure needs around the Arlington Heights property. Particularly, roads and major interchanges would need upgrades. The concerns prompted mayors from neighboring Palatine, Rolling Meadows, and Schaumburg to send letters to the governor and leading lawmakers requesting a seat at the table over those plans.

“We’re very concerned about, how is all this traffic when you’re dealing with 60,000-70,000 people that are going to be either for a Bears game or a concert or some other event that’s there? How are they going to get around?” said Schaumburg Mayor Tom Dailly.

While the stadium politics continue to play out in Illinois, the Bears are planning to provide the NFL with an update on their future plans at the league’s meeting on Tuesday in Orlando.

Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Indiana

In-state WR Branden Sharpe on choosing Indiana: ‘That winning culture is something I want’

Published

on

In-state WR Branden Sharpe on choosing Indiana: ‘That winning culture is something I want’


Indiana landed a commitment from one of the state’s top playmakers on Monday as Brownsburg (Ind.) High receiver Branden Sharpe announced his pledge to head coach Curt Cignetti and the Hoosiers during a live broadcast on the Rivals YouTube Channel.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Sharpe chose IU over his other finalists in Purdue, Cincinnati and Vanderbilt.

“I would say the relationships I built with the coaches and the winning a National Championship,” Sharpe said. “coming from a program that’s won two state championships, that winning culture is something I want to be around and I can see myself in that system.”

As a junior Sharpe racked up 1,386 all-purpose yards with 1,143 of them receiving. He scored 15 touchdowns en route to that second-straight state championship. He becomes commits No. 7 for Indiana in the 2027 recruiting class.

Advertisement

“Also the fanbase the way they support them,” Sharpe said.

Sharpe visited Indiana numerous times during his process including games in the fall and recent spring practices.

“I’d say a lot fires me up about them,” Sharpe recently said. “Obviously their coaching staff develops players. I think they had 13 players drafted, something insane like that. So the way they develop players and their offensive scheme getting their players in space and giving them an opportunity to make plays is something I see myself in.

“The way they hound their players and want them to be better. Their efficient with their practices. Everything from their lifts to their practices and meetings, everything is all organized.”

Rivals ranks Sharpe as the No. 68 receiver in the country and No. 13 prospect regardless of position in the state. Other offers included West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, Houston, Northwestern and Boston College.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending