Connect with us

Midwest

Rare snake-like fish that breathes air caught in Missouri for fourth time: 'Aggressive predators'

Published

on

Rare snake-like fish that breathes air caught in Missouri for fourth time: 'Aggressive predators'

Is it a fish? Is it a snake? No, it’s a snakehead fish.

For only the fourth time in the state of Missouri, an angler caught a northern snakehead fish that is not native to the U.S.

Fisheries biologists with the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) confirmed the catch occurred on May 25 in Wayne County, according to a recent press release.

OKLAHOMA BOY CATCHES EXOTIC FISH IN NEIGHBORHOOD POND: ‘HUMAN-LIKE TEETH’

The predatory fish has a head that resembles a snake and a body that could grow up to 3 feet in length with a “python-like coloration and pattern.”

Advertisement

“The angler recognized they had something different and researched the fish’s characteristics, and realized it was indeed a snakehead,” MDC Fisheries Biologist Dave Knuth said, according to the release. 

“The angler left it on the pavement for several hours thinking it would die, and it never did.”

The snakehead was eventually transported to the local U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) office and recovered by an MDC conservation agent four hours after the fish had been left in a bag, the MDC reported in the release.

GEORGIA ANGLER HOOKS UNIQUE-LOOKING FISH, SNAGS STATE RECORD TWO MONTHS AFTER IT’S BROKEN

Advertisement

“When I picked up the fish, it was still very much alive,” Jacob Plunkett, an MDC Wayne County conservation agent, said.

Along with the fish’s snake-like appearance, the species can breathe air and slither across the ground to get to a body of water.

It’s ability to breathe air allows it to survive in “poorly oxygenated water or out of water for several days” as long as its skin stays moist, the MDC reported.

“Snakeheads are an invasive species native to Asia. They’re aggressive predators, preying on native species, and competing for resources,” the MDC’s release said.

COLORADO ANGLER HELPS AUTHORITIES CRACK DOWN ON GIGANTIC INVASIVE FISH: ‘HIGHLY UNUSUAL’

Advertisement

The first time a northern snakehead was recorded in Missouri was in 2019, after being caught in a borrow ditch in Dunklin County.

The invasive snakehead fish, native to Asia, has been recorded in Missouri for the fourth time. The snakehead caught on May 25 (not pictured) in Wayne County was transported to the local U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) office and recovered by an MDC conservation agent. Wappapello Lake is pictured here, which belongs to the area where the snakehead was captured. (Recreation.gov; iStock)

The other two northern snakeheads confirmed by the MDC were captured in 2023.

The MDC shared a series of items to check off if you come in contact with the invasive fish.

Make sure the fish is actually a snakehead and not a native boffin, which is a common mistake.

Advertisement

Do not release the fish or throw it along the bank. Instead, photograph the fish so the MDC can positively identify the species and take note of the location in which it was caught.

Snakeheads can breathe air and slither along the ground to get to a new body of water after spending hours or even days out of water, as long as their skin remains moist. (iStock)

Kill the fish by severing the head from the body, gutting it or placing it in a sealed bag.

Be sure to report any catches or sightings of the northern snakehead fish to the MDC, the agency said.

Advertisement

 

Fox News Digital reached out to the MDC for comment.

For more Lifestyle articles, visit www.foxnews.com/lifestyle.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Milwaukee, WI

In Focus: State Sen. Johnson evaluates Milwaukee’s climbing homicide numbers

Published

on

In Focus: State Sen. Johnson evaluates Milwaukee’s climbing homicide numbers


This week on “In Focus,” State Sen. LaTonya Johnson, D-Milwaukee, discussed Milwaukee’s climbing homicide numbers from 2024 through 2025 and what’s behind them.

She discussed what needs to happen in Madison and at the local level in Milwaukee to reduce the number of crimes city-wide. Johnson said she believes more family involvement is part of the complex solution to make the city and state safer.

 



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

‘He was just the best kid’: Grandparents grieve 16-year-old shot and killed in north Minneapolis

Published

on

‘He was just the best kid’: Grandparents grieve 16-year-old shot and killed in north Minneapolis


“He was just the best kid, he was so loving, that’s the biggest thing about him, he loved his family, that was everything to him,” said James Nelson.

 Homicide investigation underway in north Minneapolis after double shooting leaves 16-year-old dead

James was referring to his 16‑year‑old grandson, Cordero Montgomery Jr., also known as “Junior,” who family identified as the teen shot and killed Thursday in north Minneapolis.

James and Wendy Nelson are Junior’s father’s foster parents, and consider Junior their grandson.

Advertisement

James said the last text message they exchanged with him is something the couple keeps replaying. “The last thing he said was ‘I love you,’ and he said, ‘I love you more.’”

They are remembering him as a loving teenager who constantly told them how much he cared.

They said the day of the incident, Junior had been visiting a friend in north Minneapolis and was supposed to take the bus to their home in St. Paul afterward.

“All I know is they were walking, and I guess he, somebody got out of a car and started shooting, and then he ran. Junior ran down the sidewalk a ways,” Wendy said.

 Advocates sound alarm after teen is shot and killed in north Minneapolis

Advertisement

The family said he was shot 11 times. 

“They must have been really mad at him, or who knows. We don’t know. We got to wait till the detectives find out. It just doesn’t make sense,” he said.

Wendy said she learned about the shooting through a text message.

“All I got was ‘Please call, Junior is dead.’ So I immediately ran out of the bedroom. I was very upset, kind of uncontrollably upset, and gave the phone to James, but [it] didn’t feel real, not until I got there,” she said.

Minneapolis police said officers found Junior outside on 18th Avenue North and performed life‑saving measures, but he later died at the scene. The family said they cannot understand why anyone would do something so violent.

Advertisement

“Why? He’s 16, you know. He’s 16,” Wendy said. “What would he have done that deserved to die for, and get rid of the guns?”

“He was just a kid,” James said.

Flowers now lay near the space where he took his last breath.

“It’s so senseless,” Wendy said.

The grandparents said they later learned people were recording video of Cordero’s body at the scene. Wendy said they wish people would think about how they would feel if it were their own family.

Advertisement

James also said they were hurt by comments online.

“Yeah, somebody on Facebook said, ‘Ho hum, just another day in north Minneapolis,’ and I said, ‘That’s my grandson, and right now it is all everything, but ho hum.’” He added, “I wanted to put a name to my grandson’s death.”

James said he needed to see an image of Junior to accept what happened. When asked if he saw an image of him on the ground, he said, “I did,” and added, “I just said, I have to see my boy.” After he saw the image, he thought, “Yeah, this is real.”

Minneapolis police said a 44‑year‑old man was also shot and injured with non‑life‑threatening injuries. The grandparents said they don’t know who he is or what connection, if any, there is to Junior.

They described Junior as a smart, respectful teenager who was thriving in a school where he received one‑on‑one attention. They said he was going to be a sophomore next school year.

“He was getting straight A’s. I mean, he is really smart and very respectful. People always tell me, ‘Man, that’s a really respectful young man you have there,’ all the time, because he was just the best,” James said.

Advertisement

He also said Junior loved video games and was preparing to apply for a job.

Junior often stayed with them for days at a time.

“He’d come over for weekends. Yeah, he’d stay for days. He loved it so quiet over here,” Wendy said.

She said he was also affectionate. “We were leaving one day, we dropped him off, and he goes, ‘Oh no, Grandma, you need to give me a hug,’ that’s, I mean, a 16-year-old, you know, and he always hearted with a text, you know, just amazing,” Wendy said.

The family is also carrying an older grief. The Nelsons said Junior’s mother previously lost a young daughter during a surgery.

Advertisement

They say Junior’s mother is too devastated to speak publicly right now, and part of why they agreed to talk was to take pressure off of her.

“We have a GoFundMe for Support Cordero to help a single mother, and she’s already lost one child, James said. “It’s really, really tough,” James said.

The grandparents also spoke about mental health and the need for more support in the community.

“People need to treat mental health like physical health. That’s what I would like to get out of this, that our community would wake up and deal with mental health,” James said.

He said he wishes people would think about consequences before tragedy.

Advertisement

“Try and be a better person before a tragedy happens. Just think, look at other people’s consequences, look at other families’ consequences, and just try and put yourself in their place. That could be you if you keep up this on this road,” James said.

The couple also said they moved out of north Minneapolis after gunfire near their home years ago; they said they have seen firsthand how violence affects families.

For the person who pulled the trigger, Wendy had a direct message.

“Whoever you are, you, you took a 16-year-old’s life over something probably really stupid, and there’s no reason for it, you know, get rid of the guns.”

Now, they hope justice comes soon.

Minneapolis police said there have not been any arrests or updates in the case.

Advertisement

MPD juvenile shooting numbers

Minneapolis police data provided to KSTP shows 12 juvenile shooting victims so far in 2026, making up 17% of all shooting victims (the percentage represents the share of all shooting victims who were juveniles).

A year‑to‑date comparison shows:

  • 2026: 12 juvenile victims (17%)
  • 2025: 6 juvenile victims (7%)
  • 2024: 13 juvenile victims (15%)
  • 2023: 17 juvenile victims (14%)
  • 2022: 14 juvenile victims (8%)

Annual totals from MPD show:

  • 2025: 52 juvenile victims (17%)
  • 2024: 41 juvenile victims (11%)
  • 2023: 62 juvenile victims (15%)
  • 2022: 58 juvenile victims (11%)



Source link

Continue Reading

Indianapolis, IN

Pacers’ Pascal Siakam still had to pay for parking at Indy 500 parade

Published

on

Pacers’ Pascal Siakam still had to pay for parking at Indy 500 parade


INDIANAPOLIS — The man helping lead one of Indianapolis’ biggest race weekend traditions still had to pay 10 bucks to park.

As downtown filled Saturday morning for the 70th annual Lucas Oil 500 Festival Parade ahead of the 110th running of the Indianapolis 500, Pascal Siakam pulled up to a parking lot expecting a little Grand Marshal treatment. 

Instead, the four-time NBA All-Star found himself in a friendly standoff with a vendor charging $10 for parking.

Advertisement

In a video posted to his social media accounts, the Pacers forward laughed as he rolled into the lot.

“I ain’t trying to pay for real,” Siakam joked from the car. “I ain’t even got 10 bucks.”

When Siakam rolled down his window to face the vendor he asked half-jokingly, “The Grand Marshal don’t get to park for free?”

The woman wasn’t buying it.

“You’re not the Grand Marshal,” she told him. “Caitlin Clark is.”

Advertisement

Siakam, alongside teammate Andrew Nembhard, served as co-Grand Marshal for this year’s parade. Clark, of course, was named Grand Marshal for Sunday’s race festivities — not the parade itself.

Even after Siakam explained the mix-up, the vendor still wasn’t convinced. The video shows her eventually looking it up herself before realizing the 6-foot-8 Pacers star was telling the truth the entire time.

Still, no special treatment

After all the back-and-forth, Siakam paid the $10 anyway.

Advertisement

The exchange quickly became a humorously relatable race weekend moment — even basketball royalty isn’t safe from negotiating for parking in downtown Indianapolis.

Saturday’s parade wound through downtown as one of the city’s signature traditions leading into race day, featuring marching bands, floats, giant balloons, celebrities and all 33 IndyCar drivers competing in Sunday’s Indy 500.

Jessica Garcete is an IndyStar sports reporter. Get IndyStar’s motor sports coverage sent directly to your inbox with our Motor Sports newsletter. Subscribe to theYouTube channel IndyStar TV: IndyCar for a behind-the-scenes look at IndyCar and expert analysis.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending