Connect with us

Ohio

Ohio bar sparks controversy after banning patrons under 30 on weekends to combat violence

Published

on

Ohio bar sparks controversy after banning patrons under 30 on weekends to combat violence


An Ohio bar sparked a heated debate and was accused of age discrimination after banning patrons younger than 30 on weekends in an effort to combat violence following a naked melee in the parking lot.

Donerick’s Pub in Groveport announced that Friday and Saturday nights would be “30 & up” only with “no exceptions” earlier this month as part of a trial after the apparent disorder at the neighborhood watering hole.

“We will continue to try different things to keep our business safe and cut down on violence,” the bar wrote in the comments of its Facebook post announcing the change. “Keeping our customers safe is our top priority.”

Donerick’s Pub announced that Friday and Saturday nights would be 30 and up nights with no exceptions for those younger. Donerick’s Pub / Facebook

Donerick’s did not name any specific instances of violence in its reasoning, though commenters suggested there was a fight the weekend before.

Advertisement

“I mean the ones that’s fighting and shooting [are] 30 and up [for real],” one person commented.

“It’s really sad,” the establishment replied. “We just want to provide our customers with a fun environment to have some fun in. We will try different methods and see what works best to make everyone safe!”

The pub said it was making the change as a trial in an effort to keep costumers safe. Donerick’s Pub / Facebook

Several customers suggested imposing a dress code to thwart the violence — but one person said it wouldn’t work, noting a fight involving a completely naked woman that occurred outside the bar.

“A dress code wouldn’t change anything, you can put a turkey in tuxedo it’s still a turkey. One of the girls fighting didn’t have anything on,” the man commented.

“Well one things for sure, I can promise you she did when she entered and left the building!” Donerick’s Pub responded.

Advertisement

The nude brawl in question was captured on video and posted to Instagram two weeks ago with the location set as the local bar and the caption noting the woman was “butt naked.”

A recent fight in the bar’s parking lot involved a completely naked woman — who Donerick’s noted was fully dressed when she came and left the pub. Instagram

The short clip shows a woman — with no clothes or shoes on — tussling with another, fully dressed woman as they pull each other’s hair as a third woman hits the naked woman’s back with a closed fist in a parking lot shared by several businesses, including Donerick’s.

Other people then bend over the duking women and appear to try to separate them before the video ends.

Commenters in the Facebook post, meanwhile, had their own brawl with words.

Many over the new age limit praised the bar for the change — with some even suggesting they should raise it higher to 35 and up or even 40 and up.

Advertisement
Commenters were mixed on the age limit, with some saying it should be raised higher and others calling it discrimination. Donerick’s Pub / Facebook

“The best decision 35 would be even better this generation is just lost in the sauce it’s sad I hope this makes the difference,” one woman commented.

But others who can no longer patronize the bar on the weekends felt they were unfairly penalized.

“Definitely cannot say I’d ever support an establishment who age discriminates,” a younger woman wrote.

Donerick’s Pub Groveport didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Advertisement





Source link

Ohio

Biden fiasco shows Ohio legislature’s disregard for people’s will

Published

on

Biden fiasco shows Ohio legislature’s disregard for people’s will


Biden fiasco shows Ohio legislature’s disregard

Ohio legislators have thrown up their hands about putting President Joe Biden on the ballot.

House Speaker Jason Stephens said the legislature has fixed the issue with convention dates in the past but there was just not the will from the legislature this time.

I realize this is a hyper-partisan environment, but how did these same legislators feel when Colorado wanted to keep Trump off the ballot because of a constitutional amendment? The Supreme Court ruled the Colorado Supreme Court had wrongly assumed that states can determine whether a presidential candidate or other candidate for federal office is ineligible.

Advertisement

An ‘absurd’ situation: Gov. DeWine orders lawmakers to get President Biden on Ohio ballot.

Clearly, Ohio legislators want to defy that judgement. Just one more way the Ohio legislature is disinterested in the will of the people and, apparently, the will of the constitution.

Holly Richard, Columbus

Columbus crime: commit, arrest, release; repeat

Special thanks to Mayor Andrew Ginther, Attorney Zach Klein, every Columbus council member, and the lenient judges who have, for years, given criminals “Get Out of Jail Free” cards.

Advertisement

Their years-long “sensitivity” to criminals because they had a bad day or a difficult childhood. The recent violence is unacceptable because it is an embarrassment, extremely frightening, and out of control. Prevention, intervention, and enforcement. Please.

The city’s annual $20 million “summer program” to help “youth” has been disgraceful, not successful. Reason enough to repeat in 2024. Spend. Fail. Repeat.

Like criminals with long criminal records. Commit a crime. Get arrested. Get released. Repeat.

The Dispatch needs to follow up on criminals of all ages who committed violent criminal behavior since 2016, when Ginther took office. Where are those criminals now? How many offenses did they have when arrested? How many now? Why were they released, and what judges released them, to create more crimes? Who is really responsible for the increase in crime?

Advertisement

The results will be staggering on the criminals who were released, to run the streets and run the city.

Carmen Sauer, Columbus

Bring on the Clippers

How about a little less Crew and a little more Clippers ?

Ron Martin, Canal Winchester



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Ohio

Young man from the Mid-Ohio Valley passes away

Published

on

Young man from the Mid-Ohio Valley passes away


(WTAP) -Travis Flores passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by his family and friends, according to his Instagram page.

Travis grew up in Newport, Ohio and he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when he was a baby.

WTAP has interviewed him throughout the years about his journey with the disease.

He just turned 33 in April.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

Former Ohio State Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. Signs Four-Year, $35.37 Million Rookie Contract with Arizona Cardinals

Published

on

Former Ohio State Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. Signs Four-Year, $35.37 Million Rookie Contract with Arizona Cardinals


Marvin Harrison Jr. is officially an Arizona Cardinal.

The former Ohio State wide receiver signed his rookie contract with the Cardinals on Thursday.

As the No. 4 overall pick in the 2024 NFL draft, Harrison’s first NFL contract is worth $35.37 million over the next four years, with the Cardinals holding a fifth-year option for 2028. The deal includes a $22.5 million signing bonus and is fully guaranteed, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Advertisement

“It’s my first job,” Harrison told the Arizona Cardinals’ official website after signing his contract. “Ever since I got here I’ve been telling people I’m going to work – it’s not practice anymore.”

Harrison is the first of this year’s top five picks to sign his NFL rookie contract. He’s the third of Ohio State’s four 2024 NFL draft picks to sign their contracts, joining Houston Texans fourth-round pick Cade Stover (four years, $4.76 million) and Las Vegas Raiders fifth-round pick Tommy Eichenberg (four years, $4.36 million).

Cleveland Browns second-round pick Mike Hall Jr. has not signed his contract yet, but his deal is projected to be worth $7.07 million over the next four years, per the league’s draft pick wage scale.

Harrison signed his contract with the Cardinals even though he has yet to sign the NFLPA’s licensing agreement, which prevents fans from buying his jersey and could keep him out of the Madden NFL 25 video game if he does not sign the agreement. His decision not to sign the licensing agreement before the draft, as NFL prospects typically do, comes amid a dispute with Fanatics, which filed a lawsuit against Harrison on Saturday alleging breach of contract. Fanatics is accusing Harrison of failing to fulfill the obligations of a contract he signed with Fanatics while he was still at Ohio State in 2023, while Harrison’s team has said there is no contract between the former Buckeye star and the sports memorabilia company.

Advertisement

The highest-drafted wide receiver in Ohio State history, Harrison joins former OSU left tackle Paris Johnson Jr. as one of the young stars of the Cardinals, who drafted Johnson with the No. 6 overall pick in 2023.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending