Connect with us

Nebraska

Nebraska baseball secures I-80 showdown series over Creighton

Published

on

Nebraska baseball secures I-80 showdown series over Creighton


Nebraska baseball (28-9) secured the 2026 I-80 showdown series over in-state rival Creighton (18-16) with its 5-4 victory on Tuesday in front of 6,148 fans to mark its first win in Lincoln since 2017.

On a warm, windy night that helped propel the baseball, the Huskers tossed five different arms, including usual Friday starter Ty Horn (4.37 ERA) in middle relief. Horn delivered three shutout frames, while closer J’Shawn Unger (SV: 8) recorded the final six outs.

Head coach Will Bolt confirmed postgame that Horn will move to the bullpen going forward.

“That’s the plan. He’s going to pitch out of the bullpen,” Bolt said. “I just think he’s eager to take the ball multiple times a week, and we’re looking for another arm that’s going to be able to do that.”

Advertisement

Bolt added, “He wasn’t falling behind counts and chasing, and some of those things. He was fired up to take the ball tonight, and that was the difference in the game for us.”

Trailing 4-0 after just two frames, the Big Red scored five unanswered runs with two in the second and three in the third. However, the offense went ice cold from there.

True freshman Drew Grego led the way, going 2-for-4 for three RBI, highlighted by his two-run homer in the bottom of the second.

Here is an instant recap from Game 2 of the I-80 series…

Get 50% off an annual membership bundle for access to HuskerOnline + On3 + Rivals by joining today!

Advertisement

Timmerman, Clark stabilize Bender’s blowup

Starter Pryce Bender (6.27 ERA) struggled with the 20+ mph wind gusts out of the west and with it 80 degrees at first pitch.

The sophomore righty allowed three runs in the first inning alone, including a two-run homer by CU’s Nate McHugh after allowing four hits in just one inning of work.

In the second, Nebraska pitching coach Rob Childress turned to Tucker Timmerman for a fresh slate on the mound. However, the Bluejays penciled in another with the wind support off Nick Venteicher’s solo-shot to left field to lead 4-0.

In the third, Timmerman worked a scoreless frame that was nearly 1-2-3 after Mac Moyer’s head-first dive in center field. Despite the initial fair ruling, the call was overturned after review. Still, Timmerman forced a groundout to strand the runner in scoring position.

Advertisement

The Beatrice native posted those two innings off 36 pitches (24 strikes) to retire six of the nine Bluejays faced. Lefty Caleb Clark took the fourth and dominated a 1-2-3 frame with two strikeouts.


Bottom of the order carries NU

Entering the bottom of the second with a four-run deficit, Drew Grego blasted a 97 mph two-run homer for NU’s first hit of the game and cut the deficit in half. It marked the right fielder’s fifth dinger of his true freshman campaign.

After drawing another two walks in the third, Grego came back up to the plate with two down. And the rookie from Papillion drove in Nebraska’s third run to make it 4-3.

Moments later, third baseman Joshua Overbeek evened it up with his RBI single to right. Second baseman Rhett Stokes then handed the Big Red a 5-4 lead with his RBI single — all three hits came with two outs.

Advertisement

While the hitting was clutch, the Huskers left nine baserunners on base through five innings. It’s also noteworthy that NU’s top of the order, which consists of Moyer, Jeter Worthley, Case Sanderson and Dylan Carey, were 0-for-11 after six frames.

“We had to grind through it offensively. Not a great night,” Bolt said. “But we had a freshman spark us and play incredibly well in Grego, who had a really tough week last week. Awesome to see a kid like that respond in the way that he did for his team.”

Nebraska Spring Lookback: Defensive edge


Horn comes in and deals

Horn, who had been NU’s ace to date, took the ball in the fifth to mark his first relief appearance of the season. The junior righty retired nine of the 11 Bluejays faced off 33 pitches (24 strikes) in three frames, including 1-2-3 sixth and seventh innings.

Advertisement

“It’s a lot more jittery and blood is flowing after when you come out of the pen,” Horn said.

In his last two starts, he surrendered nine runs in just seven innings. The Big Red arm who dons No. 2 came to the mound with extra juice after his recent struggles.

“You’ve seen the last couple of outings. It has not gone the way I wanted to,” he said. “Just having in my mind like ‘I just go out there and eff people up’ if that makes sense.”

Unger, the closer, entered in the eighth. After yielding a lead-off single, the righty from Blair, Nebraska, forced a 6-4-3 double play and cruised through the final four outs to seal the win.

Nebraska returns to the ball diamond on Friday at 6 CT for its most pivotal series of the season against No. 12 USC. Watch on the B1G+ or listen on the Huskers Radio Network.

Advertisement

The Huskers will meet the Bluejays for the series finale on Tuesday, May 12, at 6 CT in Omaha. Watch on Nebraska Public Media.


Never miss breaking news or another HuskerOnline article again. Click HERE to sign up for HuskerOnline’s Daily and Breaking News Newsletters!



Source link

Nebraska

Americans exposed to Hantavirus upset about being forced to quarantine in Nebraska

Published

on

Americans exposed to Hantavirus upset about being forced to quarantine in Nebraska


  • Justice Department charges Raul Castro with murder

    02:36

  • Graduation ceremony surprises reunite military members and loved ones

    01:33

  • Now Playing

    Americans exposed to Hantavirus upset about being forced to quarantine in Nebraska

    01:46

  • UP NEXT

    California burglary ring bust

    01:29

  • Car explodes into massive fireball

    01:09

  • Search for suspect in Harvard assault

    01:26

  • Trump-backed candidates sweep GOP primaries

    01:28

  • Crews scramble to contain several wildfires raging in California

    01:51

  • Woman dies after manhole fall

    01:30

  • Americans exposed to hantavirus forced to quarantine

    01:46

  • Billie Jean King earns college degree

    01:43

  • New details in deadly mosque attack

    02:37

  • Trump shows off ballroom construction amid new questions over ‘anti-weaponization’ fund

    02:24

  • Severe weather hits states from coast to coast

    02:12

  • Teacher shot by student takes stand in Virginia

    01:45

  • Kars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled

    01:35

  • Deadly shooting at San Diego Islamic center

    02:45

  • New video shows shocking moments at air show disaster

    01:18

  • American tests positive for Ebola as outbreak spreads in Africa

    02:02

  • Judge rules on whether key evidence can be used in Luigi Mangione’s state trial

    00:55

Nightly News

An American quarantining in Nebraska is speaking out to NBC News, saying he wants to continue his isolation at home but is not being allowed to do that, despite initially being told the quarantine would be voluntary. This as an American battling another life-threatening disease, ebola, is transported to Germany for care. NBC News’ Maggie Vespa has the story.

Advertisement

Nightly News

Nightly News

Nightly News

Nightly News

Nightly News

Nightly News

Play All



Source link

Continue Reading

Nebraska

How a centuries-old legal tool helped Nebraska immigrants leave ICE detention

Published

on

How a centuries-old legal tool helped Nebraska immigrants leave ICE detention


A man who fled an uprising in the Middle East decades ago, and whose son serves in the U.S. Air Force, was taken into custody during a routine immigration appointment in Des Moines, Iowa.

Another man brought to the country as a child in 1999, who now has a U.S.-born child, was arrested after a minor traffic stop in southwest Missouri.

And a man from El Salvador with no criminal record spent weeks in a Nebraska prison that had been converted to hold immigrants fighting to stay in the country.

In each of these cases, a federal judge ruled that their confinement, detailed in what’s called a habeas corpus petition, violated their rights and they were released.

Advertisement

As President Donald Trump’s administration dramatically expanded who was subject to mandatory detention, more than 45,000 habeas corpus cases have flooded federal courts across the country. Petitioners have alleged that their detention was illegal and asked to be returned to their families so they can continue their civil immigration cases from home. An analysis by The Marshall Project and The Midwest Newsroom found that habeas corpus filings in four Midwestern states have been overwhelmingly successful thus far.

In Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, more than 450 cases have been filed since Trump’s inauguration last year. The vast majority of people in the roughly 160 cases that had been resolved through mid-April were granted a hearing to determine if they could be let out of detention on bond, or in some cases, were released outright.

“It’s actually really remarkable,” said Suchita Mathur, an attorney with the American Immigration Council, a D.C.-based nonprofit that advocates for immigrants. “I’ve never heard or seen any legal issue with this much consensus among district court judges.”

But as the Trump administration files appeals to attempt to narrow the discretion of judges in habeas corpus cases about immigration, the legal landscape is in flux.

Habeas outcomes

The legal concept of habeas corpus dates back over 800 years to the Magna Carta in England. For centuries, people in prison have used it to challenge confinement. Today, petitioners in civil immigration cases have used the legal mechanism to fight the Trump administration’s mandatory detention policy. Noncitizens have argued they should be released because of prolonged detention, a lack of access to bond hearings or inhumane conditions in the facilities where they are held.

Advertisement

We reviewed nearly 160 case filings in the four states covered by The Midwest Newsroom, but are not naming the immigrants who filed the petitions because nearly all of them still have immigration claims pending, and many expressed a fear of retaliation from Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Department of Homeland Security.

The Trump administration has justified its large-scale arrests and mass raids on immigrant communities in several major cities by saying it is targeting the worst of the worst, but a review of the filings in habeas corpus cases undercuts those claims. Among the people held in ICE detention in these Midwestern states were people with pending asylum cases, no criminal history and parents of U.S.-born children.

The Department of Homeland Security, for example, recently contended in court documents that a man from Spain should be subject to mandatory detention and then deportation. He filed a habeas corpus petition while he was being held in the Cass County jail south of Omaha, Nebraska, after being arrested in January during ICE’s Operation Metro Surge in Minneapolis.

In 2022, under the Biden administration, the Department of Homeland Security had granted the man permission to stay in the U.S. because he was a minor who had suffered physical and emotional abuse by a parent.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nebraska

Recent rain may fall short for parts of drought-stricken Nebraska

Published

on

Recent rain may fall short for parts of drought-stricken Nebraska


LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) — Recent rainfall across Nebraska may not have done enough to alleviate the state’s persistent drought, with many areas that needed moisture most receiving insufficient amounts.

The southeast region received the most rain over the past few days, where conditions are abnormally dry or in moderate drought.

The southern panhandle, where conditions are most severe, received minimal rainfall.

Last Thursday’s drought monitor showed exceptional drought in portions of the panhandle, including Morrill and Garden counties, where nearly 1 million acres burned in February.

Advertisement

Two-thirds of the state was in extreme drought, according to the map released last Thursday.

“Conditions are probably about as bad as a dust bowl. The map that was released last Thursday shows that two-thirds of the state were in extreme drought, which basically means that if you combine factors, that’s the worst 5% we’ve ever seen,” said Dr. Eric Hunt, a climatologist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

A partially flooded agricultural field off of Highway 4 in Fillmore County, Nebraska, on Monday, May 18, 2026(10/11 News / Darsha Dodge)

Hunt said it would take multiple good rains in a row with cooler temperatures over the span of a month to pull some areas out of their drought conditions.

Pasture conditions around the state are poor, with only 4% considered very good to excellent—dead last in the nation.

“Some of the northern panhandle and northeast Nebraska did okay, but there’s large sections of north central and northeastern Nebraska that did not pick up as much. And the southern panhandle generally got the shaft yet again,” Hunt said.

Advertisement

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s drought monitor will update again Thursday morning. It will give scientists a better idea of how much this weekend’s storms made a difference in the state’s drought.

Click here to subscribe to our 10/11 NOW daily digest and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your email inbox.

Copyright 2026 KOLN. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending