Connect with us

Missouri

Missouri House approved nearly $50 billion state budget Thursday; governor’s child care subsidy increases not included

Published

on

Missouri House approved nearly  billion state budget Thursday; governor’s child care subsidy increases not included


JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KFVS) – The Missouri House approved its version of the state budget, sending the $47.9 billion spending plan to the next step. But it’s what’s not in that budget getting the most attention.

The budget approved Thursday leaves more than $2 billion on the bottom line, but it’s at the cost of child care providers who need some state help to stay afloat. The budget has to be finalized by 6 p.m. on May 9. This is the general assembly’s only constitutional duty.

House Budget Chair Rep. Dirk Deaton had to make tough calls as he worked to craft a state budget with lower revenue, depleting federal funds, and an uncertain future. One of those calls was removing more than $100 million for child care subsidies.

The money removed for child care subsidies came from one-time federal funds. It was removed because the state would have to pay it in the future, a cost the House budget chair does not think the state could take on.

Advertisement

“That was a concern as it relates to sustainability, which is why we didn’t move forward at this time,” Deaton said. “Having said that, we have invested heavily in this program in the last few years.”

But Democratic lawmakers criticized the Budget Chair for what they called prioritizing savings over people.

“Are we measuring ourselves in food in the belly? Is Narcan distributed? In children’s programs? Or are we measuring ourselves in, oh, we cut so many billion dollars?” said Rep. Del Taylor of St. Louis.

Missouri’s budget analysts are predicting $13.35 billion in general revenue for the fiscal year 2025 state budget. That’s a 0.6% decline from last year’s general revenue. General revenue is the money left to be spent, there is more money that’s already been allocated to specific state departments.

The money cut would have supported a program where the state pays part of a low-income family’s tuition for child care. It is different from the current program in that it would pay the providers based on enrollment instead of attendance. It was put in the budget by Gov. Mike Kehoe.

Advertisement

Robin Phillips with Child Care Aware Missouri helps Missourians access child care and promotes safe and quality early childhood education. Phillips said state subsidies benefit both families and child care providers.

“That funding to pay them on enrollment versus attendance and paying them in advance would be key to stabilizing some of the system,” Phillips said.

The highest-ranking Democrat on the budget committee, Rep. Betsy Fogle, laments the removal of these funds as lawmakers sent the spending plan to the Senate for more discussion.

It is possible for the Senate to add back in the funding for childcare.

“We sat in that hearing room for countless hours listening to people cry and scream and express their frustration about our inability to do our job as a general assembly and the department to get those dollars out the door,” Fogle said. “I don’t envision a world where the Senate does not do something to restore some level of child care funding.”

Advertisement

A study from United WE, a research group focused on women and family issues, shows there are three children in need for every open child care spot. The study said 85% of Missouri does not have enough child care for working parents, which is preventing economic growth.



Source link

Missouri

Demolition timeline detailed for Providence Road bridge over I-70

Published

on

Demolition timeline detailed for Providence Road bridge over I-70


Providence Road over Interstate 70 in Columbia is set to close for five months starting in late May, according to a news release from the Missouri Department of Transportation.

The process will begin with demolition and removal of the overpass bridge and pedestrian bridge beginning at 9 p.m. May 29 until 9 a.m. May 31, according to the release. During the demolition and removal of the bridge, there will be no access to or from Providence Road from I-70, and both directions of the I-70 will be reduced to one lane.

The ramp from Range Line Street onto westbound I-70 will be closed for the duration of the demolition and replacement, according to the release. Pedestrians will have to find an alternate route during this time due to the removal of the pedestrian bridge.

Advertisement

Once the demolition and cleanup are complete on May 31, I-70 will return to normal traffic patterns in the area, according to the release. 

As the new bridge is built over the five-month period, the ramp from westbound I-70 to Providence Road will be closed, and there will be no access for drivers to cross the interstate. Signed detours will be available for alternate routes, according to the news release.

The new overpass bridge will be longer to accommodate a third lane of I-70 in each direction and raised to allow passage of taller vehicles, according to the release. The overpass will feature pedestrian crossings and “beautification elements” including decorative lighting, railings and fencing, stone-pattern retaining walls and bridge facade enhancements.

The work is part of MoDOT’s Rocheport to Columbia I-70 improvement project, which is part of a larger program to expand the interstate to three lanes in each direction and improve interchanges and overpasses along the corridor.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Missouri

Missouri election clerks caught in limbo over disputed congressional map

Published

on

Missouri election clerks caught in limbo over disputed congressional map


JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KY3) -Missouri election clerks are updating voter rolls without knowing which congressional map will be used for the August election.

The map passed in a special legislative session last year splits up Kansas City’s vote in a way that is likely to send one more Republican to Washington. More than 300,000 signatures on a veto petition are being checked for authenticity. If enough signatures are valid, the new map will be put on pause retroactively.

Secretary of State Denny Hoskins confirms the new map is in effect right now, but the Missouri Supreme Court ruling says it’s “impossible to say” which map will be in effect by the time of the August primary election.

But election officials like Boone County Clerk Brianna Lennon are speaking out, saying it’s impossible to know which map to use until the signatures are verified.

Advertisement

“Our hope is that the Secretary of State’s Office makes a determination sooner rather than later so that we can put all this uncertainty to rest,” Lennon said.

Hoskins said he will use the full time available to review signatures.

“I’m going to use the entire time that I have possible in order to review those signatures, let the county clerks do their job and certify those signatures, and then begin my certification process,” Hoskins said.

Lennon said she needs confirmation by early June on which map will be in effect in order to send out military and absentee ballots. Hoskins has until Aug. 4, the same day as the primary election, to certify the veto petition.

Lennon started moving voters into their new districts but is concerned about the potential fallout if there’s no legal confirmation on which map to use. The consequences could be as dire as having to completely redo the election, which brings funding concerns.

Advertisement

“I have full confidence that local elections will make it work,” Lennon said. “It’s going to take resources, and I’m not sure where those resources will come from.”

People Not Politicians, the campaign behind the veto petition, filed a lawsuit against Hoskins and Attorney General Catherine Hanaway on Monday. The lawsuit demands they cease attempts to intimidate and coerce elected officials into using an invalid map for the 2026 elections or issue the referendum as insufficient and move forward with judicial review of that decision.

“The Supreme Court of Missouri made it clear there was one path needed to be able to conduct an election that all Missourians can be confident in. We need to take that path,” said Richard von Glahn, executive director of People Not Politicians. “There are more than enough signatures, verified by election authorities, to qualify the referendum.”

Von Glahn said Hoskins is risking conducting an invalid election by refusing to acknowledge what he called sufficient signatures. If the veto petition is verified, Missourians will vote on which map to keep in November.

To report a correction or typo, please email digitalnews@ky3.com. Please include the article info in the subject line of the email.

Advertisement

Copyright 2026 KY3. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Missouri

Blue Alert issued after suspect accused of shooting at Missouri officers

Published

on

Blue Alert issued after suspect accused of shooting at Missouri officers


MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A Blue Alert has been issued in southeast Missouri for a man accused of firing shots at law enforcement officers during a traffic stop early Sunday morning.

According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the incident happened around 2:10 a.m. in Caruthersville, in Pemiscot County.

Authorities identified the suspect as 42-year-old Zachary Rance Walker.

Zachary Rance Walker (Missouri State Highway Patrol)

Investigators say Walker allegedly fired shots at Caruthersville Police Department officers during a traffic stop before fleeing the scene.

Advertisement

The Missouri State Highway Patrol said officers returned fire and investigators believe Walker may have been wounded.

Walker is described as being 5 feet, 9 inches tall, around 180 pounds, with gray or partially gray hair, and blue eyes.

Authorities say he was last seen wearing a navy T-shirt with a graphic design on the front, dark-colored shorts, with black lace-up boots

Investigators also said Walker is believed to be armed with both a rifle and a handgun and may have possible gunshot wounds.

Anyone with information about Walker’s whereabouts is urged to call 911 or contact local law enforcement immediately.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending