Midwest
Minnesota man, 62, on solo camping trip found dead in lake near overturned canoe
The body of a 62-year-old Minnesota man was found partly submerged in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in the northern part of the state on Friday.
The man, identified as Mark Ham, was discovered by canoeists around 5 p.m. who called 911, the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to Fox News Digital.
Ham, who wasn’t wearing a life jacket, had been canoeing by himself, his family told law enforcement. A life jacket was found at the scene.
ARIZONA COUNTY TO BUILD BRIDGE OVER CREEK WHERE 3 CHILDREN DROWNED
A lake within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota. (Salwan Georges/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
“With the opening of the Minnesota fishing season this weekend, the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office and Rescue Squad would like to remind everyone to please wear their life jackets while out on the water enjoying their favorite water recreations this summer,” the department said in a release.
The St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office and Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office are investigating Ham’s death.
A Canoeist in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in 2019. (Aaron Lavinsky/Star Tribune via Getty Images)
NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIALS REVEAL POSSIBLE CAUSE OF DEATH FOR BOY, 12, FOUND DEAD AT WILDERNESS THERAPY CAMP
Ham lived in Duluth.
His death comes a week after a 20-year-old man drowned while trying to save a 23-year-old old woman while they had been hiking around a lake near Chattanooga, Tennessee, on April 29.
A canoe in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Mark Ham, 62, lived in Duluth, Minnesota. (Jeffrey Phelps/Getty Images)
Drowning is a leading cause of unintentional death, and 80% of drowning deaths are men, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Boundary Waters Canoe Area is near the border with Ontario, Canada, about 25 miles north of Ely, Minnesota.
Read the full article from Here
Detroit, MI
Twerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
(FOX 2) – Twerking for your vote? Getting people to the poles? Making cheeks blush in an attempt to clench votes?
The puns write themselves, but that doesn’t mean Shelbie Campbell is any less serious about her run for Congress. The candidate is leaning on her social media following and leveraging provacative posts to build momentum for a shot at Michigan’s 13th Congressional District.
Big picture view:
A dive into Campbell’s TikTok reveals a mixture of dance videos and political commentary.
But the short clips are only a window into what is a very serious campaign for office. She advocates for women in leadership, arguing Detroit hasn’t had female representation in decades.
She wants education reform and systemic fixes to housing and health care.
And as a line worker and third-generation UAW member, she is in favor of better wages for the service and labor industry.
Dig deeper:
Campbell is currently in law school at Detroit Mercy. While she is not shy about her background — going as far as to post four separate mug shots from previous arrests — the 32-year-old single mom says accountability is “the only way to learn from our mistakes and grow together as a community.”
And in her pitch to voters deciding between her and incumbent Shri Thanedar, she said he has a hard time empathizing with those considering who to head to the polls for.
“I just want younger people in office and he’s a millionaire and I don’t have that and he does so it’s very hard for him to relate to the people,” she told FOX 2.
Twerking for votes
Campbell also does not plan to stop posting videos. Sex sells and in her eyes, it’s not a bad way to build her brand.
“I don’t do OnlyFans like everyone keeps saying. I was just having fun, I’m young and I’m taking advantage of social media,” she said.
In one video, she seizes on one of the many derogatory terms that others have called her.
“They were calling me a c*** so I just like to be sarcastic and if you’re going to call me names I’m going to make you feel awkward for doing so,” she said. “I’m just going to dish it back because why do you think you can talk to me like that?”
The other side:
FOX 2 reached out to Thanedar’s campaign for comment.
The Source: An interview with the candidate was cited for this story.
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee crash closes I-794 EB lanes at Van Buren Street
MILWAUKEE – All eastbound lanes of I-794 were closed at Van Buren Street in Milwaukee on Monday night because of a crash.
What we know:
The crash happened around 7:42 p.m. near North Van Buren Street and East St. Paul Avenue.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX LOCAL Mobile app for iOS or Android
The Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office is handling the incident.
Officials estimated the closure would last about two hours.
This is a breaking story. Check back for updates.
The Source: The Wisconsin Department of Transportation provided information.
Minneapolis, MN
Man dies days after being injured in attempted Minneapolis carjacking
A 38-year-old man seriously injured in an attempted auto theft in Minneapolis on Friday has died.
Minneapolis police say the assault happened when the victim saw two people trying to steal his car around 1:35 p.m. on the 5400 block of 43rd Avenue South and confronted them.
After being confronted, the suspects abandoned the car they were trying to steal and ran to the car they had arrived in, police said. As the suspects tried to get away, the victim was either hit by the car or jumped onto the hood.
The suspects were driving erratically, Minneapolis police said, causing the victim to be thrown from the hood of the car and seriously injure his head.
On Sunday, police say the man died from his injuries.
There have been no arrests at this time.
“This is a tragic event that has devastated a family and shocked the community,” said Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara. “The reckless disregard for the value of human life shown in this case is horrifying, and those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
-
New York3 minutes agoRead the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.
-
Los Angeles, Ca9 minutes agoSimi Valley School District cancels school Tuesday as Sandy Fire doubles in size
-
Detroit, MI33 minutes agoTwerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
-
San Francisco, CA45 minutes agoSan Francisco’s last jeepney helps highlight city’s Filipino culture
-
Dallas, TX51 minutes agoDallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back
-
Miami, FL57 minutes agoFIFA launches official World Cup merchandise shop in Miami Beach
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoWith the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoDenver weather: More rain expected this week