Minneapolis, MN
Frey vetoes second effort to extend Mpls. pre-eviction period
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey vetoed the second attempt by the Minneapolis City Council to give tenants more time to pay rent in the aftermath of Operation Metro Surge, which has pushed immigrant families into housing instability.
Currently, housing providers are required to give renters in Minneapolis 30 days to come up with money to pay their rent before filing an eviction case against them, which is called a pre-eviction notice period. The City Council voted last week to increase that timeframe to 45 days through the end of August.
During the federal operation, many immigrants sheltered at home and did not go to work because they feared being detained by federal immigration agents. As a result, many are struggling to pay rent. Supporters of the ordinance said the measure will give renters more time to access rental assistance, mutual aid or another paycheck to avoid an eviction case in court.
Other council members, housing providers, and Frey have voiced concern that giving residents more time to pay rent will push them into more debt. In his veto letter on Thursday, Frey wrote that rental assistance is the best solution to support renters.
“The City of Minneapolis has a longer pre-eviction notice period than most cities in the country,” Frey wrote in his veto letter. “I am not convinced that more time will result in improved outcomes.”
The city has allocated $3.8 million in emergency funds, and the Wilson Foundation agreed to match another $3 million.
Rental assistance at the state level to help immigrant renters due to the surge has stalled at the Legislature. A bill that would allocate $40 million in rental assistance passed the Senate, but is unlikely to pass a divided House.
“This would have been a tremendous relief for all families, as we would have more time to apply for rental assistance without facing the threat of eviction,” said Alibella Rodriguez, a member of Inquilinxs Unidxs por Justicia (United Renters for Justice) in a statement. “Instead, the Mayor’s veto is a terrible blow to all families, leaving us vulnerable to losing our homes through eviction — homes that served as the greatest refuge we had during the occupation.”
The 45-day pre-eviction notice period ordinance passed with a 8-5 vote. Nine votes are needed to override a mayoral veto. The council will likely vote on overriding the veto at their next meeting on May 7.
This is not the first time the council has tried to extend the pre-eviction notice period.
Last month, Frey vetoed the council’s vote to increase the pre-eviction notice period from 30 to 60 days. The council failed to override that vote. Council members brought forward an ordinance with a shorter time period hoping it would gain more support.
“We’re looking at a mere 15 days,” Council Member Aurin Chowdhury said at a news conference last week. “We changed the policy, we compromised, and it was so consequential, it was worthy of us taking up another cycle to bring it back.”
The St. Paul City Council unanimously approved temporarily extending the city’s pre-eviction notice period to 60 days last month.
According to data from the tenant advocacy group Home Line, eviction filings in Minneapolis increased by 3.4% in the first quarter of the year compared to the average between 2023 and 2025. Housing advocates have said that mutual aid efforts have likely helped keep many renters in their homes for now.
The city will be rolling out more than $6 million in rental assistance to help those affected by the surge. Information about how to access the Minneapolis specific funding can be found here. The Minneapolis funding does not require an eviction case to be filed against the tenant already. Funding is also available through Hennepin County, but an eviction case is required.
Minneapolis, MN
Homicide investigation underway in north Minneapolis after double shooting leaves 16-year-old dead
A 16-year-old boy is dead after a shooting in north Minneapolis on Thursday night.
Police responded to the 1300 block of 18th Avenue North around 5:30 p.m. on a report of multiple shots fired. Officers at the scene found a 16-year-old boy with life-threatening injuries, Minneapolis police said.
He died at the scene, according to Minneapolis police.
A 44-year-old man who was in the area during the shooting was also hit and suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound. Police say he drove away from the area to a gas station near Broadway Avenue and Knox Avenue North, where officers responded and brought him to the hospital.
Investigators are looking into the circumstances around the shooting. No arrests have been made.
A 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS photographer captured evidence markers with bullet casings, crime scene tape and a large number of first responders.
“This is another heartbreaking act of violence that has left a young person dead, another individual wounded, and families suffering unimaginable pain,” said Chief O’Hara. “Our investigators are working urgently to determine exactly what happened and to identify every person responsible for this violence.”
Editor’s note: A spokesperson for Minneapolis police initially told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the victim was a “young adult man.” A later update from police said the victim was a juvenile.


To get the latest updates on this story sent to your mobile device, download the KSTP app at the links below.
Minneapolis, MN
Bruce Springsteen Sings a Rallying Cry as Colbert’s ‘Late Show’ Ends
On the eve of Stephen Colbert‘s final Late Show, the host invited Bruce Springsteen to the stage for a fitting performance of his protest song, “Streets of Minneapolis.” Earlier this year, the musician and the E Street Band live-debuted the track during their politically charged Land of Hope and Dreams tour.
In a way that felt bittersweet, Colbert announced, “Ladies and gentlemen, Bruce Springsteen.” As his spotlight faded and focused on the singer, Springsteen made it clear why he was there for the late-night series penultimate episode. “I’m here in support tonight of Stephen, because you’re the first guy in America who lost his show because we’ve got a president who can’t take a joke,” Springsteen said. “And because Larry and David Ellison feel they need to kiss his ass to get what they want.”
He added, “Stephen, these are small-minded people who got no idea what the freedoms of this beautiful country are supposed to be about. This is for you.”
The singer then launched into an emotional performance of “Streets of Minneapolis,” which was written in reaction to ICE’s brutal immigration crackdown in the city, and the killings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti.
Last year, CBS announced it was cancelling The Late Show, claiming the move was “purely a financial decision.” It’s been speculated that CBS’s parent company Paramount pulled the plug to curry favor with Donald Trump — who Colbert frequently called out during his show — and the FCC to ensure a merger between Paramount and Skydance would go through. As Springsteen highlighted before his performance on Wednesday night, Paramount is helmed by David Ellison, the son of Larry Ellison, the billionaire founder of Oracle.
A procession of stars have lined up for Colbert’s closing weeks, with guests including Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and original host David Letterman, who returned to throw CBS property off the Ed Sullivan Theater roof. Recent musical guests include David Byrne, the Strokes, Michael Stipe, Chris Stapleton, and Foo Fighters, who previously served as the final musical guest of Letterman’s Late Show.
When speaking to The New York Times last month, Colbert discussed his decision to cover political topics and lean into current events, and how that often drew the ire of the Trump administration. “Comedians are anti-authoritarian by nature,” Colbert said. “And authoritarians are never going to like anybody to laugh at them. The number of newspeople who have said to me or Jon Stewart or any of the guys who do this, ‘God, I wish I could say what you say on air.’ And we can. I think that upsets them. I think it might be upsetting that we really do not live in their world of principalities and powers.”
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis police say motor vehicle thefts up 24% compared to this time last year
Two women have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the death of a decorated U.S. Army veteran.
Amos Ferrier, 38, was responding to an attempted auto theft in south Minneapolis on Friday. Police say Ferrier, who was an Army medic, confronted the suspects as they tried to steal his car. He was either struck by or jumped on the hood of the suspects’ getaway car.
Ferrier was badly hurt and later died after he was thrown from the hood, police say.
So far this year, the Minneapolis Police Department has seen about 2,300 motor vehicle thefts. That’s a 24% increase from this time last year.
“Post-2020, post-George Floyd, all that stuff, the auto thefts went on a huge increase,” said Bryan Hermerding, a lieutenant who supervises the auto theft task force for Hennepin County.
This year, the sheriff’s office officially teamed up with the Edina, Minnetonka and St. Louis Park police departments to crack down on car crimes
“Outside of Minneapolis, we’ve seen a significant decrease in auto thefts in some ofthose suburban cities,” he said.
Through April, the task force has recovered 228 stolen vehicles and arrested 72 people, primarily kids.
“Any time that you can multiply resources and get people working on the same page and working together towards one common goal is huge,” he said.
While Minneapolis isn’t a part of the task force, Hermerding says they do work together and there have been talks of them joining.
-
New York1 hour agoHe Sued the N.Y.P.D. He Advised ‘Homeland.’ Now He’s Mamdani’s Lawyer.
-
Los Angeles, Ca1 hour agoLoved ones search for missing 21-year-old Southern California man with special needs
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoSouthfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoSan Francisco soccer league Girls Got Goals ready for World Cup in Bay Area
-
Dallas, TX2 hours agoDallas felon arrested after allegedly shooting 14-year-old inside vacant Pleasant Grove home
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoSister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami
-
Boston, MA2 hours ago
FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoPolice investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
