Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

Five years after controversial plan, Minneapolis schools confront same equity and budget woes

Published

on

Five years after controversial plan, Minneapolis schools confront same equity and budget woes


North, which last year had nearly 600 students in a school built for twice that number, has drawn at least 50 new students a year after the boundary changes, despite losing a prime band of its northern boundary to Camden High.

Friestleben heard from her community about the desire for high social and academic standards, and after making it the school’s focus, North Side families who had been opting out began opting in, she said.

Advanced course offerings are up and spirits are high, she added.

ReNee Pettis, a North High graduate and president of its booster club, said one of her children chose to leave DeLaSalle for North because of the community connection it provided.

Advertisement

Looking back over the recent enrollment gains, Friestleben said: “What I don’t think people realize is what it took to grow, period. And then what it took to grow in spite of the attendance zones. It took an amazing amount of work on the behalf of this staff.”

Beth Mason lives in Lowry Hill. Her daughter Reina would’ve gone to North High under the new plan, and she gave its feeder school, Anwatin Middle School in the Bryn Mawr neighborhood, a try. At first, Mason said, there were 20 kids at the bus stop, mostly sixth-graders. Then came reports of unruly behavior at the school, and one day, a lockdown spurred by separate fights that left Reina taking refuge in a closet.



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

How Minneapolis is tallying the cost of ICE; Report says small businesses lost up to $81M in January

Published

on

How Minneapolis is tallying the cost of ICE; Report says small businesses lost up to M in January


Minneapolis is facing significant financial losses due to immigration enforcement operations, with a reported $200 million economic hit in January.

On Friday, Mayor Jacob Frey said that small businesses and restaurants in the city lost as much as $81 million in revenue. Minneapolis is home to over 1,200 restaurants and bars, not including other small businesses. To understand how these losses were calculated, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS spoke with Erik Hansen, the city’s Director of Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED).

Lake Street businesses impacted by ICE surge charting economic path forward

“There’s a little bit of a squishiness to the number,” said Hansen when asked about tracking the financial impact on Tuesday, as the city was finalizing its preliminary impact report, which estimated Minneapolis small businesses collectively lost up to $81 million in January.

Advertisement

He said those calculations are based on conversations and a survey sent out a couple of weeks ago. Hansen explained that the survey was anonymous, with about 150 respondents as of Tuesday.

“It’s an anonymous poll. We have about 150 respondents to that so far, and we asked them questions about, like, what kind of impacts have you had since the beginning of the year? Can you attribute that to the Operation Metro Surge? And then, what have been the financial consequences?” said Hansen.

According to the preliminary impact report released on Friday, based on that survey and existing business summary and licensing data, the city could assume more than half — or 750 — restaurants and bars “…are experiencing major losses of $20,000 per week.” And the entire industry “…is likely experiencing a minimum loss of $15 million per week.”

The report said the city used a similar framework to add up losses for grocery, retail, entertainment, and more, concluding that “January 2026 revenue losses for small, consumer-facing businesses in Minneapolis could be as high as $81 million.”

“We are getting the best data we can, because we’ll never really, truly be able to quantify the impacts of the operation,” Hansen said.

Advertisement

The financial impact may be difficult to quantify, but it’s evident, especially on historically busy days. Paul Wu, owner of Jade Dynasty on West Lake Street, said, “Friday, for example, we normally do $20-25,000 a night, and we did $8,000. And that’s lucky.”

“It’s a big loss. We don’t make any money,” Wu added.

Immigrant-owned businesses in Minnesota struggle with reduced hours 

Earlier this month, Gina Christ, owner of The Black Forest Inn, told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, “It bottomed out after Christmas, right? It was, it was just like a trap door opened.”

Hansen said that current business financial aid proposals from state and city officials would make up for a drop in the bucket of need.

Advertisement

He also emphasized the broader impact on the community, stating, “What’s important for us at the city right now is to articulate what the true need is in the community. And it’s not just the businesses. It’s also household budgets [that] are being impacted. People have lost wages. They’re more insecure in their housing stability… And so as we’re looking at that, once we have a better scale of what the problem is, we can start to look at resources. And those resources won’t always be money.”

The city plans to continue tracking the impact and updating the numbers, according to the preliminary impact report.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Two people drown after breaking through ice in Twin Cities

Published

on

Two people drown after breaking through ice in Twin Cities


Two people have drowned after breaking through ice in separate incidents over the weekend in the Twin Cities. That’s as a stretch of unseasonably mild weather continues across the state, raising concerns about deteriorating ice conditions on lakes, ponds and rivers.



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Minnesota weather: Multiple warm temperature records broken Valentine’s Day

Published

on

Minnesota weather: Multiple warm temperature records broken Valentine’s Day


Many areas across Minnesota saw record warmth this Valentine’s Day. 

Record-breaking warmth 

The numbers in orange are where a temperature record was broken Saturday.  (FOX 9)

Advertisement

What we know:

Temperatures rose across the state, making for a nice Valentine’s Day. 

Advertisement

The high temperature in the Twin Cities Saturday was 54 degrees, beating the record of 50 degrees set in 1882. 

Warmth set to continue

What’s next:

Advertisement

Temperatures are expected to stay about the same on Sunday, with low 50s expected in the Twin Cities and 60s in southern Minnesota. 

The warmth is expected to continue through Tuesday as temperatures gradually drop into next weekend. 

Some fog is possible Sunday in areas where the snow pack is melting. 

Advertisement

WeatherMinnesota



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending