Connect with us

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee protest group announces new RNC march route, drops legal fight with city

Published

on

Milwaukee protest group announces new RNC march route, drops legal fight with city


play

The Milwaukee protest group prepared to march on the Republican National Convention next week announced a new route Tuesday that complies with the U.S. Secret Service’s security perimeter.

The announcement came a day after a federal judge ruled against the group in its court fight over the march route.

Advertisement

Though parties had 48 hours to respond to the ruling, the Coalition to March on the RNC 2024 is no longer participating in legal action against the City of Milwaukee and the Secret Service, Coalition Co-Chair Omar Flores said at a Tuesday news conference outside the Federal Courthouse in Milwaukee.

The ACLU represented the Coalition in a lawsuit filed against the city in early June.

The new route comes after U.S. District Judge Brett Ludwig ruled that the Coalition could not cross into the “hard” security zone surrounding the main sites of the RNC. The lawsuit had alleged the city’s RNC demonstration plans violated the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

“While the courts have decided exactly a week out that the city is not infringing on our First Amendment rights, we are firm in our demand to march within sight and sound of the front doors of the Fiserv Forum,” Flores said.

Advertisement

City spokesperson Jeff Fleming that the city officials “entirely respect the decision that was reached.”

The Coalition’s original route had the group marching directly next to Fiserv Forum, where delegates are expected to officially name former President Donald Trump as their nominee for the November election. After the security perimeter was officially announced, the group moved the route, but it still crossed into the security perimeter at Kilbourn Avenue.

The revised route avoids the crossing, starting at Red Arrow Park and crossing the Milwaukee River four times to approach the main sites of the RNC while avoiding the security perimeter surrounding Pere Marquette Park.

Advertisement

The group plans to gather in Red Arrow Park at 10 a.m. on July 15, the first day of the convention. Flores said there would be a rally at 11 a.m. and the march would begin at noon.

While the ACLU was not successful in the main parts of its lawsuit, Ludwig ruled in the organization’s favor that the Commissioner of Public Works could not deny speaker and demonstration platforms on the basis of a prior criminal history.

Flores said that the ruling was an “extremely weak win” and that it should not have been the case to begin with.

Fleming said that nobody who applied for a demonstration slot was turned away.

Advertisement

Alison Dirr of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this story.

Tristan Hernandez can be reached at thernandez@gannett.com.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Milwaukee, WI

Organizers say recall effort against Milwaukee school board members has over 37k signatures

Published

on

Organizers say recall effort against Milwaukee school board members has over 37k signatures


Organizers for a recall effort against four Milwaukee Public Schools board members say they’ve collected over 37,000 signatures so far. That’s more than half of the total they need by mid-August to initiate a recall against four board members.

The effort, from the MPS School Board Recall Collaborative, comes after a tumultuous few weeks for the district. In late May, the state Department of Public Instruction sent a letter to the district warning that it could lose millions of dollars in state funding after it failed to send in financial reports.

In the weeks since, district superintendent Keith Posley resigned from his post, Gov. Tony Evers called for operational and instructional audits of the district and Legislative Republicans have pushed for an audit of the district’s finances. This month, the state said the district was projected to lose $81 million in state funds as a result of the reporting failures. 

Stay informed on the latest news

Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.

Advertisement

Now organizers with the recall effort are looking to unseat school board president Marva Herndon, vice president Jilly Gokalgandhi, school board member at large Missy Zombor and board member Erika Siemsen.

To trigger a recall election, the group will need to collect 5,137 signatures for Herndon, 6,809 signatures for Siemsen, 7,759 signatures for Gokalgandhi and 44,177 signatures for Zombor, according to Paulina Gutiérrez, executive director of the Milwaukee Election Commission.

“This MPS recall is not us recalling Milwaukee Public Schools,” said Tamika Johnson, a petitioner in the recall effort, during a Wednesday afternoon press conference. “This recall is recalling incompetent board members who allowed corruption to happen on the back of our Black and brown and white children.” 

Advertisement

Angela Harris, chair of the Black Educators Caucus and a second grade teacher at the Milwaukee Academy of Chinese Language, is also in support of the effort.

“I can understand, certainly, after all of the things that have occurred with Milwaukee Public Schools and the current iteration of the board, why community members would feel that it would be necessary to engage in a recall,” Harris said.

“We elect these folks to be our voices, but it seems to me that particularly with these four board members, folks in their district don’t feel like their voices are being heard, respected, or valued,” she added. 

But not everyone supports the recall effort. The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association said in a statement that they believe the push is being led by people with “close ties to private voucher and charter schools.”

“Milwaukee should see this recall effort for what it is — local affiliates of the deep-pocketed, nationwide anti-public education voucher industry seeking to capitalize on the recent troubles with the MPS financial office,” MTEA President Ingrid Walker-Henry said in a statement. 

Advertisement

Nicole Johnson, another petitioner in the recall effort, said the group doesn’t have any candidates lined up yet in the case of a recall election. 

But Johnson did say Wednesday the recall effort has received money from “anonymous donors” to help pay for canvassers who are collecting signatures. Organizers said those canvassers will be paid for their work after the signatures have been verified by the city. 

Organizers also said they do not know who the “anonymous donors” are. 

After speaking at a Milwaukee Press Club event Wednesday, Gokalgandhi said she’s aware of the recall effort but is staying focused on the district’s needs. 

“The public has … their democratic right. My job is to continue to serve our kids, work on getting the ship back into the right direction and be prepared in September for our kids to come to our schools,” Gokalgandhi said.

Advertisement

Asked if she plans to run again in a recall election, she responded, “I think we got to see what happens.”

The group has until Aug. 12 to collect signatures and submit them to the Election Commission.  Johnson said organizers are “confident” they’ll collect enough signatures needed by that time.

The Commission has 31 days after the group submits the signatures to verify them.

Last week, the school board also announced it had selected Eduardo Galvan to serve as the new acting superintendent following Posley’s resignation. The board will meet Thursday to confirm or deny that appointment. 

“We are confident in the leadership Mr. Galvan brings to MPS and to this role,” Herndon said in a statement. “Additionally, this step moves the district closer to having an interim superintendent in place before the beginning of the school year, which is critical to our goal of serving the students and families of MPS in the best way possible.”

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee Brewers OF Christian Yelich Dealing With Problematic Back Injury

Published

on

Milwaukee Brewers OF Christian Yelich Dealing With Problematic Back Injury


Milwaukee Brewers All-Star Christian Yelich left Tuesday night’s contest against the Chicago Cubs due to back tightness, the team announced.

Yelich, who was serving as Milwaukee’s designated hitter, made three plate appearances before getting subbed out. He drew two walks before grounding out in the sixth, and Rhys Hoskins pinch-hit for him the next time he was due up in the eighth.

When manager Pat Murphy was asked for his thoughts on Yelich’s injury, he didn’t sound particularly optimistic.

“My thoughts are ‘Oh sh*t’ – can I say that?” Murphy said. “Those are my thoughts.”

Advertisement

As noted by The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Curt Hogg, Yelich had been dealing with back flareups over the past few days.

Yelich already suffered a lower back strain in April, costing him nearly a month of action. After missing those 23 consecutive games, though, Yelich had only missed four of the Brewers’ next 66 contests.

The 32-year-old outfielder has been enjoying a resurgent 2024 campaign, making his first All-Star appearance since 2019. He currently leads the National League with a .315 batting average and .415 on-base percentage, five years removed from his back-to-back batting titles in 2018 and 2019.

Advertisement

Yelich’s .504 slugging percentage and .909 OPS are also the highest they’ve been since 2019, when he finished runner-up in the NL MVP race. He won NL MVP in 2018, leading the league in both categories.

Through 73 games this season, Yelich has racked up 11 home runs, 42 RBI, 21 stolen bases and a 2.4 WAR. He recently became one of five active MLB players to hit 200 career home runs and steal 200 career bases.

It remains to be seen if Yelich will need to hit the injured list again, or if he will be able to rejoin the Brewers’ lineup for Wednesday’s finale against the Cubs. First pitch at Wrigley Field is scheduled for 2:20 p.m. ET.

Continue to follow our FanNation on SI coverage on social media by liking us on Facebook and by following us on Twitter @FastballFN.

You can also follow Sam Connon on Twitter @SamConnon.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee missing 10-year-old boy; last seen near 38th and Lancaster

Published

on

Milwaukee missing 10-year-old boy; last seen near 38th and Lancaster


Milwaukee police are asking for the public’s help to locate a critically missing 10-year-old boy named Michael Miller. 

The boy was last seen near 38th and Lancaster on Milwaukee’s north side around 6 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23. 

Advertisement

Miller is described as a male, Black, 4′ tall, weighing 75 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a gray t-shirt, gray jogging pants, and white Nike Airforce tennis shoes with orange and blue accents.

SIGN UP TODAY: Get daily headlines, breaking news emails from FOX6 News

Anyone having contact with, or information on the boy is urged to call the Milwaukee Police Department, District 7 at 414-935-7272.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending