Connect with us

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee downtown food truck operators show up at City Hall to protest curfew

Published

on

Milwaukee downtown food truck operators show up at City Hall to protest curfew


MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee food truck operators are fearing for their livelihoods after city leaders voted to limit their hours of operation in the name of public safety.


What You Need To Know

  • The Common Council unanimously passed a rule that will force food trucks downtown to close by 10 p.m.
  • It goes into effect May 9. Aldermen argue it will help prevent people from gathering after bars close
  • Food trucks owners showed up to City Hall on Thursday morning to say they’re not the problem
  • Ald. Robert Bauman represents downtown and he said the curfew was put in place at the request of the Milwaukee Police


The Common Council unanimously passed a rule that will force food trucks downtown to close by 10 p.m.

It goes into effect May 9. Aldermen argue it will help prevent people from gathering after bars close.

Food truck owners showed up at City Hall on Thursday morning to say they’re not the problem.

Advertisement

Abdallah Ismail runs the Fatty Patty food truck. He said closing his truck at 10 p.m. will be devastating for his business.

“Most of our sales happen during that time,” said Ismail. “It’s the core of our business at 10 p.m. We need the city to let us talk. We need them to listen to us and find a better solution for us if they can.”

Ismail confronted Ald. Robert Bauman at the city hall demonstration.

Bauman represents downtown, and he said the curfew was put in place at the request of the Milwaukee Police.

He also said the police department believes late-night gatherings at food trucks are a contributing factor to the downtown violence.

Advertisement

Bauman said safety is a top priority.

“If the causation issue is correct that they are a part of the problem then we need to act and if there is collateral damage, that’s unfortunate,” said Bauman. “We regret that but the bigger issue here is economic viability of an entire downtown.”

Ismail said the curfew is unnecessary. He said that’s because the food truck operators have always been willing to cooperate with the police.

“When the police came to us and say close it because there is a problem, we close right away even if it’s a busy day, even if we have a line of people,” said Ismail. “We are already helping the city.”

Bauman said the curfew will move forward as planned, and if it doesn’t work, the Common Council could reconsider the measure.

Advertisement

In the meantime, the food truck operators just hope they can protect their financial livelihood.



Source link

Milwaukee, WI

The Milwaukee Brewers launch a new statewide mural series

Published

on

The Milwaukee Brewers launch a new statewide mural series


WEST ALLIS, Wis.– The Milwaukee Brewers kickoff a statewide mural series by revealing new art in West Allis.

The fresh mural titled “The Launch” is the first of many City Connect themed projects popping up this summer.

Local Milwaukee artist Michael Cerda designed the Wisco wall and helped unveil it on Friday, May 22.

According to the Brewers, The Wisco Pop-Up Series is celebrating the “Wisco Way” through murals and experiences all across Wisconsin.

Advertisement

The series is part of a City Connect initiative to highlight art and culture in different communities.

Future murals are planned for Eau Claire, Janesville and Kenosha.

There will also be a “City Connect refresh” on the Green Bay mural that was installed last summer.

Beyond the art, there will be pop-up experiences at the following cities:

“The Launch” mural is featured on the outside of the Slingshot Bar on W. National Avenue in West Allis.

Advertisement

The artist, Michael Cerda, is the owner of Cerda Design Co.; specializing in sign painting and design for local businesses.

Cerda has previously collaborated with the Milwaukee Brewers for two other murals: The “El Paletero” on the outside of Heavy Hitters and the Barrelman and Milwaukee script mural across from the American Family Field, Brewers Way 1.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee Police investigating early Friday morning shooting, one person shot

Published

on

Milwaukee Police investigating early Friday morning shooting, one person shot


MILWAUKEE — The Milwaukee Police Department is investigating a shooting that occurred early Friday morning on the 3700 block of W. Villard Avenue.

A 21-year-old was shot and arrived at the hospital for treatment.

The police are investigating the circumstances leading up to the shooting.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting is asked to contact the Milwaukee Police Department at (414) 935-7360 or Crime Stoppers at (414) 224-TIPS or P3 Tips to remain anonymous.

Advertisement

Let’s talk:

Hey there! At TMJ4 News, we’re all about listening to our audience and tackling the stuff that really matters to you. Got a story idea, tip, or just want to chat about this piece? Hit us up using the form below. For more ways to get in touch, head over to tmj4.com/tips.


It’s about time to watch on your time. Stream local news and weather 24/7 by searching for “TMJ4” on your device.

Available for download on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and more.


Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

FBI seeks to interview Milwaukee police about 2020 election

Published

on

FBI seeks to interview Milwaukee police about 2020 election


MILWAUKEE — The FBI is reportedly looking to interview Milwaukee police officers about the 2020 presidential election.

The Milwaukee Police Department confirmed to TMJ4 that the department “is aware that the FBI may be interviewing members of our department regarding the 2020 Election.”

This marks the latest in a series of federal election inquiries in the area. Earlier this month, agents visited the home of Milwaukee County elections director Michelle Hawley.

The FBI has not said why they were attempting to contact Hawley, and they have not yet replied to requests for information on their probe of the Milwaukee officers.

Advertisement

President Donald Trump has continuously made false claims that he won the 2020 election, and election-related lawsuits continue to be a focus of the Department of Justice under the Trump administration.

On Thursday, U.S. District Judge James Pederson dismissed a DOJ lawsuit seeking to compel the state of Wisconsin to hand over detailed voter registration information.

The DOJ has sued at least 30 states and the District of Columbia seeking to force the release of detailed voter data. In addition to Wisconsin, judges have rejected similar attempts in Maine, Arizona, California, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oregon and Rhode Island.


Let’s talk:

Hey there! At TMJ4 News, we’re all about listening to our audience and tackling the stuff that really matters to you. Got a story idea, tip, or just want to chat about this piece? Hit us up using the form below. For more ways to get in touch, head over to tmj4.com/tips.

Advertisement

It’s about time to watch on your time. Stream local news and weather 24/7 by searching for “TMJ4” on your device.

Available for download on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and more.


Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending