Connect with us

Midwest

Man who went viral for driving during virtual court hearing for suspended license reportedly vindicated

Published

on

Man who went viral for driving during virtual court hearing for suspended license reportedly vindicated

A Michigan man who went viral last week in a video clip of a judge noticing him driving while calling into a virtual court hearing for his supposed suspended driver’s license was the victim of a clerical error, according to reports. 

Corey Harris, 44, attended the virtual May 15 hearing for an October traffic stop in Pittsfield Township, Michigan, USA Today reported. 

In the clip, Judge Cedric Simpson appeared to be in disbelief as Harris was driving while attending the hearing for a suspended driver’s license. 

“Mr. Harris, are you driving?” Simpson asked, to which Harris replied that he was behind the wheel. 

DRUNK, PREGNANT MICHIGAN MOM OF 4 SMASHES INTO 16 PEDESTRIANS, KILLING 2: POLICE

Advertisement

Defendant Corey Harris and Judge Cedric Simpson are seen during a virtual Michigan court hearing. Harris had his driver’s license suspension lifted in 2022, but a clerical error reportedly resulted in it never being wiped from the system. (Storyful)

“OK, so maybe I don’t understand something. This is a driving-while-license-suspended [case],” Simpson told Harris’ public defender. “And he was just driving, and he doesn’t have a license.”

He then ordered Harris’ bail revoked and ordered him to surrender to authorities at the Washtenaw County Jail by 6 p.m. that day, to Harris’ disbelief. The video clip made the rounds on the internet and quickly spread like wildfire. 

“With the type of ties that I have with the church and the community, it’s very embarrassing,” Harris told WXYZ-TV about the widely viewed incident. 

His driver’s license was suspended in 2010 for unpaid child support, but a judge rescinded the suspension in January 2022, the TV station said.

Advertisement

‘WHEEL OF FORTUNE’ CONTESTANT GOES VIRAL FOR X-RATED ANSWER

However, the Michigan Secretary of State’s Office never received a clearance from the Saginaw Friend of the Court, reported WXYZ, which tracked down the clerical error. That means that the lifting of the suspension never went into effect. 

In the video clip, Harris told Simpson he was pulling into a parking lot at a doctor’s office for an appointment.

A Zoom court hearing in Michigan was where a defendant was allegedly caught driving with a suspended driver’s license. (Storyful)

“What was I thinking? I was thinking about getting my wife medical help,” Harris told the news station. “That’s what I was thinking. I wasn’t thinking about the fact that I got a suspended license. I don’t care about all that.”

Advertisement

“Always double-check behind these workers because they will say that they will do something, and they don’t do it,” he added.

Harris said he spent two days in jail following the hearing after turning himself in. 

Khyla Craine, deputy legal director for the Michigan secretary of state, told the station that the process to get a driver’s license reinstated can be a complicated process. 

“Sometimes it is simple as we at the secretary of state’s office did not get a clearance from the court that everything was done, but something happened in the wires, and we needed to talk to the court to get the clearance and clean it up for the resident,” Craine said.

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Detroit, MI

3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say

Published

on

3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say



At least three people are injured after separate weekend shootings across Detroit as of Saturday night.

Advertisement

According to police, a man on the 20600 block of West Eight Mile Road assaulted another man before firing shots on Saturday around 3:04 p.m. Officials said the man shot was grazed by at least one bullet and the suspected shooter was arrested. A weapon was recovered by law enforcement at the scene. 

Roughly 40 minutes after the shooting on Eight Mile Road, a man was shot and had his vehicle stolen on the 19300 block of Rosemont Avenue, according to police. The man was sitting inside his gray Chevrolet Equinox when an unknown individual approached with a gun and demanded money. 

Officials said the man in the Chevrolet was shot after he exited his vehicle. He was taken to the hospital and, as of Saturday night, is in stable condition. The individual who approached the man left the scene in the Equinox, according to police. 

Just before 6 p.m. Saturday, a male teenager was shot while driving in the area of Woodward and West Hildale avenues, near Palmer Park, police said. According to officials, the teen, whose exact age has yet to be disclosed, was traveling in the area when an individual in another vehicle pulled alongside him and fired shots. 

The teen was taken to the hospital. As of Saturday night, he is also in stable condition, officials said.

Advertisement

Police have yet to disclose whether an arrest has been made in the shootings on Rosemont Avenue or near Palmer Park.



Source link

Continue Reading

Milwaukee, WI

One person injured, taken to hospital after rollover crash near 12th and Vliet

Published

on

One person injured, taken to hospital after rollover crash near 12th and Vliet


MILWAUKEE — The Milwaukee Fire Department says one person is injured and was taken to Froedtert Hospital for treatment after a rollover vehicle crash near N. 12th Street and W. Vliet Street on Saturday night.

MFD’s battalion chief confirmed this information to TMJ4 News in a statement.

TMJ4 News

The scene of a rollover crash near 12th and Vliet in Milwaukee on Saturday, May 23, 2026.

A TMJ4 crew on scene of the crash around 8:20 p.m. saw crews there from the Milwaukee Fire Department, Milwaukee Police Department and Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office.

Advertisement

TMJ4 also reached out to the Milwaukee Police Department and Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office for comment but has not heard back.


Let’s talk:

Hey there! At TMJ4 News, we’re all about listening to our audience and tackling the stuff that really matters to you. Got a story idea, tip, or just want to chat about this piece? Hit us up using the form below. For more ways to get in touch, head over to tmj4.com/tips.


It’s about time to watch on your time. Stream local news and weather 24/7 by searching for “TMJ4” on your device.

Available for download on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and more.

Advertisement

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip





Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

George Floyd Square in Minneapolis is getting a major redesign

Published

on

George Floyd Square in Minneapolis is getting a major redesign


Minneapolis is preparing for major changes at George Floyd Square as it marks six years since Floyd’s murder.

City prepares to reshape George Floyd Square after years of debate

Advertisement

What we know:

City leaders have spent years discussing whether to keep the intersection mostly closed to traffic or reopen it in some way.

For nearly six years, George Floyd Square at 38th Street and Chicago Avenue has been a place for memorials, art and community gatherings. After much debate, construction is set to begin on June 8.

Advertisement

The city council’s original idea was to turn the area into a pedestrian mall, keeping it closed to most vehicles.

That plan faced pushback from some businesses and residents, and ultimately decided on a flexible open-street design.

Advertisement

Dwight Alexander, owner of Smoke in the Pit, said, “I don’t want a pedestrian mall.”

Under this plan, 38th Street and Chicago Avenue will reopen to vehicle and bus traffic, but the area where Floyd was killed will remain closed to traffic.

Renderings show wider sidewalks, new gathering spaces and improved infrastructure throughout the intersection.

Advertisement

Jeremiah Rupert, who visits George Floyd Square every day, said, “How do you balance community and social justice to make sure everyone gets what they need?”

“I want the road back open. I want the bus line to come back this way if it can. I want the streetlights back up there,” said Alexander.

Advertisement

City officials say memorials and gathering spaces will remain part of the redesign during and after construction, though some locations may shift.

Artists and community members will be involved in making sure the public can still access the memorials during construction.

“If we shut it down for construction, or if we further open it up, what would it do to the space?” said Rupert.

Advertisement

The city says construction is expected to continue through 2027.

Big picture view:

Advertisement

George Floyd Square has become both a memorial and a gathering place for the community since 2020.

The redesign aims to balance the needs of residents, businesses and those who visit the space to remember Floyd.

Business owners and community members have voiced a range of opinions on how the intersection should function moving forward.

Advertisement

Some want easier access for vehicles and buses, while others are focused on preserving the area’s significance as a memorial.

The city’s plan attempts to address both concerns by reopening some streets while keeping the most sensitive area closed to traffic.

Advertisement
MinneapolisAfter George Floyd



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending